Pages: 1 ... 30 31 [32] 33 34 ... 58
Reply Reply New Topic New Poll
  Topic Name: TOUR DIVIDE 2014 Reply #620 on: April 07, 2014, 10:49:47 AM
tuhduhvuh

View Profile
« Reply #620 on: April 07, 2014, 10:49:47 AM »

Thanks for your input!

No, I didn't take that the wrong way,  I appreciate the feedback from everyone who contributes here.   

I completely agree,  digging into the existing info, looking at the maps,  following the GPS track,  it's all been helpful and I am sure it is giving me a better sense of what is coming.   

It's probably just a bit of "overload" right now. 

As a "rookie",  I'm trying to get the gear and logistics sorted while maintaining some semblance of "reality" in regular life.   I'm sure, like so many things,  once I have (hopefully!) completed the race,  a lot of things will have a different perspective.   I'm just looking to maximize the chances of finishing and deal with some of the time constraints.  I'm enjoying the process, and especially enjoying having a great reason to get out and ride, so hopefully I'll get to the start with a positive attitude and reasonably prepared!

Once again, thanks to all those who participate in this forum, it's really helpful!

Topic Name: TOUR DIVIDE 2014 Reply #621 on: April 07, 2014, 11:02:59 AM
Marshal

View Profile WWW
« Reply #621 on: April 07, 2014, 11:02:59 AM »

I am sort of surprised no one chimed in to my earlier invitation to talk about recovery strategies.  

So here goes……

I think there are two basic ‘recovery’ modes for the long TDR.  

The 1st is of course one’s true down time, recovery when one is horizontal for a few hours.  Basically how much sleep time one should get.  And how does one ensure ‘quality’ sleep?

But the 2nd is travel/moving recovery.  IE: all the little things one does during travel/moving time to maintain steady forward momentum at one’s personal maximum sustainable pace.

Here are 2 methods that I recall Eszter Horanyi mentioning in her TDR recap.
1)   Try to never go anaerobic
2)   Take a 10 min break every 4 hours
(humm--if you don’t know who Eszter is……google up and read her TDR recap)

Number 1 really reaffirmed, to me at least, a key component of my TDR strategy.  During the middle of day 3 of my 2010 TDR, while feeling unusually strong and feisty, I ‘pushed’ hard up the climb to Red Meadow Lake.  That evening I was toast and had to lay up earlier, time & distance wise, than planned.  And the next day I was sluggish most of the day. I hope to avoid repeating this type basic mistake come June.

Number 2 seems minor but after several TDR days have passed I know the temptation to stop more often than once every 4 hours is nearly impossible for me.  Any little need, even one that could wait, seems like a reason to stop after 10 or so days.  This is an area I will be working on for 2014.

Comment, thoughts, suggestions on active or down-time recovery?

Topic Name: TOUR DIVIDE 2014 Reply #622 on: April 07, 2014, 12:29:58 PM
tuhduhvuh

View Profile
« Reply #622 on: April 07, 2014, 12:29:58 PM »

Since I haven't done the TDR,  these are only academic responses,   but I thought I would chime in with my 2 cents worth, and since the Canadian dollar is de-valued right now....

A friend has been giving me a little advice about training, but it basically boiled down to the fact that a lot of this will be mental.  He said that really no amount of time in the saddle will prepare you for multiple long days, back to back with very little recovery.  So,  I've been trying to "mentally" prepare by being as positive as I can be (I have a very Eeyore personality) and simply trying to ENJOY being outside, riding, and being blessed with the physical and financial means to actual be doing that.   Billy Rice commented in the Cordillera something about "no more negative thoughts.....ever!".  yes, you have to deal with issues, but not to get hung up on them.  Enjoy being in the moment.

It strikes me that both of the things that Marshal mentioned are mental things.   Knowing when to "hold back" and thinking "bigger picture".   Knowing that it's a multi-day race and pushing really hard right now might really impact things.   Also,  being able to keep moving when little things are nagging at you to STOP.....!    

In my mind,  it seems that the only way to develop the kind of mental stamina and perseverance to be able to deal with these issues is to actually be doing these kinds of multi-day rides.  I'll do my best to get out for several back to back long days, camping in between (even in the back yard if I can't get away),  but it's a bit sobering to think that will still be nothing like the reality.   I guess that's part of being a rookie, and all that entails!

Interesting to see that the vast majority of people "registered" on the spread sheet are first timers,  so that's somewhat encouraging.

Topic Name: TOUR DIVIDE 2014 Reply #623 on: April 07, 2014, 01:01:44 PM
Marshal

View Profile WWW
« Reply #623 on: April 07, 2014, 01:01:44 PM »

The best mental prep is experiencing a multi-day. Or simulating one as best you can. I was reminded how important this is during the stagecoach 400- shock immersion back into back to back all day efforts

But while 'in' the middle of an event like the TDR I would say food, or lack of, is the number 1 factor in maintaing the right mental aspect / focus
« Last Edit: April 07, 2014, 01:33:16 PM by Marshal » Logged

Topic Name: TOUR DIVIDE 2014 Reply #624 on: April 07, 2014, 01:45:23 PM
simon cross

View Profile
« Reply #624 on: April 07, 2014, 01:45:23 PM »

Hello all, Solveiga and I are coming from Australia to ride the TD and following a break going to roam around the Sierras for a month on foot.

We are therefore bringing to Banff our cycling and walking equipment. We are wondering if anyone is having a friend/family drop them off in Banff and is heading back to the states and be able to drop a box of camping equipment into a Post office for postage to Midpines in the Sierra.

We would make sure it is boxed and ready to go and of course pass on the right amount of cash. The frieght prices from Canada to States are exorbitant.

Thanks a lot
and look forward to being in Banff...

Solveiga and Simon

Simon Cross

Topic Name: TOUR DIVIDE 2014 Reply #625 on: April 09, 2014, 10:58:45 AM
oKo

View Profile
« Reply #625 on: April 09, 2014, 10:58:45 AM »

... So,  I've been trying to "mentally" prepare by being as positive as I can be (I have a very Eeyore personality) and simply trying to ENJOY being outside, riding, and being blessed with the physical and financial means to actual be doing that.   Billy Rice commented in the Cordillera something about "no more negative thoughts.....ever!".  yes, you have to deal with issues, but not to get hung up on them.  Enjoy being in the moment....

AMEN!!! What in life could possibly be better than what we are about to do!

Hard men ride hard tails.

Topic Name: TOUR DIVIDE 2014 Reply #626 on: April 09, 2014, 02:17:36 PM
simon cross

View Profile
« Reply #626 on: April 09, 2014, 02:17:36 PM »

Hello all, Simon and Solveiga from Australia
Thank you for the kind offer of getting camping equipment to the states
All sorted
See everyone in Banff
Back to the bike riding.

Simon Cross

Topic Name: TOUR DIVIDE 2014 Reply #627 on: April 11, 2014, 10:31:22 AM
BrianR

View Profile
« Reply #627 on: April 11, 2014, 10:31:22 AM »

Hey NOBOs -
Looking into shuttles from Silver City to Antelope Wells for the Grand Depart, 6/13 (8am?).  I'm thinking of setting up a shuttle from Juan More for the evening of 6/12, Thursday and bivying at Antelope Wells.

Two questions:
1) Anyone interested in sharing the shuttle with me?  Saves $$$
2) Has anyone camped at Antelope Wells before or after the race?

-Brian

Topic Name: TOUR DIVIDE 2014 Reply #628 on: April 11, 2014, 07:31:50 PM
dadana

View Profile
« Reply #628 on: April 11, 2014, 07:31:50 PM »

Unless you can talk the Border Patrol or the Customs guys into it I don't think you can camp at the border facility. You can camp at Big Hatchet game refuge which is propably half way between the Intersate and the border crossing. The road from the Interstate down to the border is fenced so unless you jump the fence and get off the road you would be right on the shoulder. I wouldn't recommend that as it is pretty sketchy out there and the Border Patrol is not going to look out for you at night.

Topic Name: TOUR DIVIDE 2014 Reply #629 on: April 11, 2014, 07:39:36 PM
BobM

View Profile
« Reply #629 on: April 11, 2014, 07:39:36 PM »

sorry --looked but its gone--planned at one time to revamp the blog but lost it while dinking around........

One great piece of advice I remember Marshal giving was that there is always a decent bivy place within an hour of wherever you are on the route, so don't sweat it and don't stop too early just because you have found a great camping place/motel at 7 pm.

I also think it may have been a piece of Marshal advice to spend that last hour gearing down both body and mind so that when you slip into your sleeping bag neither one is racing along and you can get good recovery.

Did I get that right, Marshal?

Check out my leatherwork shop at www.etsy.com/shop/BirchCreekLeather

Topic Name: TOUR DIVIDE 2014 Reply #630 on: April 11, 2014, 08:58:21 PM
Marshal

View Profile WWW
« Reply #630 on: April 11, 2014, 08:58:21 PM »

One great piece of advice I remember Marshal giving was that there is always a decent bivy place within an hour of wherever you are on the route, so don't sweat it and don't stop too early just because you have found a great camping place/motel at 7 pm.

I also think it may have been a piece of Marshal advice to spend that last hour gearing down both body and mind so that when you slip into your sleeping bag neither one is racing along and you can get good recovery.

Did I get that right, Marshal?

Humm, sounds good to me--I hope to do a better job on both in 2014! 

Ha--And for 2014 the most important thing to always be in my rear jersey pocket (vs tucked away in the bottom of a bike bag) will be some Geronimo Cream and A&D.  Hopefully this will help me to remember to use it while stopped and away from the bike.........

Topic Name: TOUR DIVIDE 2014 Reply #631 on: April 11, 2014, 09:05:40 PM
Briansong

View Profile
« Reply #631 on: April 11, 2014, 09:05:40 PM »

Humm, sounds good to me--I hope to do a better job on both in 2014! 

Ha--And for 2014 the most important thing to always be in my rear jersey pocket (vs tucked away in the bottom of a bike bag) will be some Geronimo Cream and A&D.  Hopefully this will help me to remember to use it while stopped and away from the bike.........

OK….enough of this, I see "A & D" mentioned frequently, What is it? I'm surely going to regret asking this I think:)

Topic Name: TOUR DIVIDE 2014 Reply #632 on: April 11, 2014, 10:07:22 PM
BigPoppa

View Profile WWW
« Reply #632 on: April 11, 2014, 10:07:22 PM »

http://www.drugstore.com/ad-original-ointment-diaper-rash-and-all-purpose-skincare-formula/qxp13119

Topic Name: TOUR DIVIDE 2014 Reply #633 on: April 12, 2014, 12:18:02 AM
Marshal

View Profile WWW
« Reply #633 on: April 12, 2014, 12:18:02 AM »

Ah yes good ol A&D
Maybe not the absolute best but always available and long lasting-both important qualities for the TDR

Topic Name: TOUR DIVIDE 2014 Reply #634 on: April 13, 2014, 08:59:26 AM
BigPoppa

View Profile WWW
« Reply #634 on: April 13, 2014, 08:59:26 AM »

So, is the 2012 GPS track still the GPS track for this year?

Topic Name: TOUR DIVIDE 2014 Reply #635 on: April 13, 2014, 09:02:02 AM
wookieone

View Profile WWW
« Reply #635 on: April 13, 2014, 09:02:02 AM »

I doubt it....still snowing up high.....

the impossible just hurts more...
pedaling is my prozac...

https://jwookieone.com/colorado-trail-race/9667-2/

Topic Name: TOUR DIVIDE 2014 Reply #636 on: April 13, 2014, 09:04:12 AM
BobM

View Profile
« Reply #636 on: April 13, 2014, 09:04:12 AM »

So, is the 2012 GPS track still the GPS track for this year?

Probably not. The new route into Butte should appear in the ACA agenda for the GDMBR at some point.  Not sure if the race has any administrators anymore either.

Topic Name: TOUR DIVIDE 2014 Reply #637 on: April 13, 2014, 09:11:02 AM
wookieone

View Profile WWW
« Reply #637 on: April 13, 2014, 09:11:02 AM »

I've tried contacting Matt Lee, and so far no response....we might be on our own girls and boys....

the impossible just hurts more...
pedaling is my prozac...

https://jwookieone.com/colorado-trail-race/9667-2/

Topic Name: TOUR DIVIDE 2014 Reply #638 on: April 13, 2014, 09:49:42 AM
BigPoppa

View Profile WWW
« Reply #638 on: April 13, 2014, 09:49:42 AM »

I've tried contacting Matt Lee, and so far no response....we might be on our own girls and boys....

Self supported is where it's at.

I'm not seeing where the route was changed going into Butte by the ACA. It still looks the same as in past years to me. Is it new on the maps for this year?

Topic Name: TOUR DIVIDE 2014 Reply #639 on: April 13, 2014, 09:59:04 AM
BobM

View Profile
« Reply #639 on: April 13, 2014, 09:59:04 AM »

Self supported is where it's at.

I'm not seeing where the route was changed going into Butte by the ACA. It still looks the same as in past years to me. Is it new on the maps for this year?

It will not be on the maps until next year.  It's in Mike McCoy's new book and SHOULD be in the addenda before too long.

Pages: 1 ... 30 31 [32] 33 34 ... 58
Reply New Topic New Poll
Jump to: