Pages: 1 ... 48 49 [50] 51 52 ... 63
Reply Reply New Topic New Poll
  Topic Name: Tour Divide 2013 Reply #980 on: May 24, 2013, 03:20:09 PM
the tortoise

View Profile
« Reply #980 on: May 24, 2013, 03:20:09 PM »

Billy Rice from Texas is starting his yoyo tour on Saturday Morning. He plans on riding from South to North then from North to South. Something to watch for the next few weeks until the Grand Depart. Good luck Billy!

Topic Name: Tour Divide 2013 Reply #981 on: May 24, 2013, 03:52:39 PM
bgiro

Location: On a long a low elevation rail trail, East of Omaha..

View Profile
« Reply #981 on: May 24, 2013, 03:52:39 PM »

IMHO, the assistance rule needs to be update to match the one we used last year, ie, go any direction for aid, restart where you started to receive assistance.

In the same way that if you were within say 20 miles of Silver City and had a mechanical issues requiring a bike shop for repair, the old rule would require you to back track to Grants or possibly to Truth or Consequences (much further away), but not forward to Silver City (closer) with a better shop.  Its much more likely a motorist will be going to Silver City because of its proximity, compared to Grants or TorC.

Any time spent with correcting a mechanical issue would delay your normal riding time and would be serve as a time penalty to the riders completion time.

As far as reconnoitering the route during an advance on the course, all of the veterans have seen it before.  Are the veterans penalized for a previous look at the course?

I humbly suggest that the rule is reverted to last years version to allow travel assistance in any direction.  Any other version is not practical when asking for assistance from the public.

Topic Name: Tour Divide 2013 Reply #982 on: May 24, 2013, 06:04:13 PM
BobM

View Profile
« Reply #982 on: May 24, 2013, 06:04:13 PM »

IMHO, the assistance rule needs to be update to match the one we used last year, ie, go any direction for aid, restart where you started to receive assistance.

In the same way that if you were within say 20 miles of Silver City and had a mechanical issues requiring a bike shop for repair, the old rule would require you to back track to Grants or possibly to Truth or Consequences (much further away), but not forward to Silver City (closer) with a better shop.  Its much more likely a motorist will be going to Silver City because of its proximity, compared to Grants or TorC.

Any time spent with correcting a mechanical issue would delay your normal riding time and would be serve as a time penalty to the riders completion time.

As far as reconnoitering the route during an advance on the course, all of the veterans have seen it before.  Are the veterans penalized for a previous look at the course?

I humbly suggest that the rule is reverted to last years version to allow travel assistance in any direction.  Any other version is not practical when asking for assistance from the public.
The old rule was actually even dumber than that.  I had checked with Matthew and he said that you could go forward so long as you were not ON the route - you could even cross the route and end up at a town on the route - you just couldn't travel ON the route.

I agree that this route is SO well known - pictures, GPS tracks, etc, that recon is not a big concern.

Check out my leatherwork shop at www.etsy.com/shop/BirchCreekLeather

Topic Name: Tour Divide 2013 Reply #983 on: May 24, 2013, 07:35:11 PM
bgiro

Location: On a long a low elevation rail trail, East of Omaha..

View Profile
« Reply #983 on: May 24, 2013, 07:35:11 PM »

I think rules are created by an organizing body to provide guidance before a problem becomes an issue.

I also believe, rules are adaptable and go through a evolutionary process of improvement as conditions change.

In a race where individual integrity is such a big part of the experience, practical rules help ensure the established rules are followed.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2013, 07:55:36 PM by bgiro » Logged

Topic Name: Tour Divide 2013 Reply #984 on: May 24, 2013, 08:30:24 PM
legendontour

View Profile
« Reply #984 on: May 24, 2013, 08:30:24 PM »

As a novice, a non elite competitor but most importantly a Dad and a husband, I have what I suspect is a fairly common take on the rules.  I will do whatever I deem to be the safest and most time efficient way to get myself going again.  If I am 10 miles from safety ahead, but 100 miles behind, there is no way I am going back.  Equally I have a window of time that I hav to complete the event.  I'm not unnecessarily wasting 48hrs for the sake of sticking to the rules religiously.  If that results in me being disqualified, so be it.  I won't be complaining.  As long as I get to Antelope Wells under my own steam and complete the entire route, I'll be claiming a completion

TDR 2013, TCR 2015, TA 2016, Pioneer 2017/18, Croc Trophy 2017,  Cape Epic 2018
Salsa El Mariachi Ti, Specialized Diverge Di2, Yeti ASRc

Topic Name: Tour Divide 2013 Reply #985 on: May 24, 2013, 08:46:57 PM
mtbcast

View Profile WWW
« Reply #985 on: May 24, 2013, 08:46:57 PM »

Episode 141 is up! Cheryl Sornson chalks up #4 at Syllamo’s Revenge, Highland Trail 400 kicks off this weekend, and we talk to Tour Divide 2013 racer Forest Baker!
http://mtbcast.com/site2/2013/05/24/mtbcast-episode-141/

JP - MTBCast.com

Topic Name: Tour Divide 2013 Reply #986 on: May 24, 2013, 11:56:35 PM
stappy

View Profile
« Reply #986 on: May 24, 2013, 11:56:35 PM »

As a novice, a non elite competitor but most importantly a Dad and a husband, I have what I suspect is a fairly common take on the rules.  I will do whatever I deem to be the safest and most time efficient way to get myself going again.  If I am 10 miles from safety ahead, but 100 miles behind, there is no way I am going back.  Equally I have a window of time that I hav to complete the event.  I'm not unnecessarily wasting 48hrs for the sake of sticking to the rules religiously.  If that results in me being disqualified, so be it.  I won't be complaining.  As long as I get to Antelope Wells under my own steam and complete the entire route, I'll be claiming a completion

I don't think it's reasonable to start an event intending to not follow all of the rules. No one is forcing you to "race" under the TD rules, you can ride it under any rules you want. If the forward progress rule has indeed reverted, one obvious, plausible and rule following answer to the dilemma you cited would be to walk forward for ten miles. Self-rescue, sort of the point and what the rule is trying to promote.

Topic Name: Tour Divide 2013 Reply #987 on: May 25, 2013, 02:32:45 AM
legendontour

View Profile
« Reply #987 on: May 25, 2013, 02:32:45 AM »

Craig, I have no intention of starting the race intending to break the rules.  I have been competing in individual events for over thirty years and hand on heart have never knowingly cheated.  Upon re-reading my post it appears I was a little blunt.  I often feel for an underground event there is way too much focus on the small stuff on the forums.  I worry people lose sight of the big picture - this is a massive undertaking with serious safety concerns - life threatening even!  

As an elite competitor with possibly record breaking aspirations - you are obviously someone for whom the nitty gritty of the rules is crucial.  The sign up sheets would suggest that rightly or wrongly, the Grand Depart will be far bigger this year than ever before.  I wonder aloud if everyone one on the start line has thought through what they will do if they become injured/trapped, alone, far from help, in freezing conditions.  As a Helicopter Retrieval physician and with alpine survival experience in the armed forces, its something I have seen from both sides - with fatal outcomes.  The point of my post was to say, sometimes strict adherence to the rules may not be in a riders best interests.

But I digress,

Re-reading the rules and particularly the FAQ's a couple of points arise.  

As long as one does not move forward en route - one can move forward away from the designated route. (1st comment rule 4 faq).  Difficulty would be maintaining route avoidance should the bike shop you visit be en route even if you arrive there using a main rd and not the designated route - maybe as long as you entered via the back door from a back street you'd be ok.  As the admin answer points out - these situations are likely to arise when one is fatigued and possibly on the edge of reason.  

Secondly - it would appear if I breakdown and am forced to walk en route - it counts!

The statement at the bottom of the rules page resonates with me

"Rules are for the obedience of fools and the guidance of wise men —Douglas Bader"

Good luck to everyone preparing the last couple of weeks.  I know I have had my share of bad luck recently and I hope it means I will be blessed when things finally get underway.

Nick

TDR 2013, TCR 2015, TA 2016, Pioneer 2017/18, Croc Trophy 2017,  Cape Epic 2018
Salsa El Mariachi Ti, Specialized Diverge Di2, Yeti ASRc

Topic Name: Tour Divide 2013 Reply #988 on: May 25, 2013, 10:25:17 AM
elitheknife

View Profile WWW
« Reply #988 on: May 25, 2013, 10:25:17 AM »

Alright girls and boys.

Seeing as we're about to the 'freak-out' point, I thought it would be a good time to bring a different sort of offering to the table.

I live in Calgary, so if any of you get here, and find yourselves in a bind, needing a place to pitch, needing a place to build a bike, needing a beer, or needing a cry, you are more than welcome here.  Send an email or PM.  I'll get back to you with directions on how to get here...

Best of luck to all of you with your final prep. 

Scott aka Porcelain Rocket

theporcelainrocket[at]gmail.com

Topic Name: Tour Divide 2013 Reply #989 on: May 25, 2013, 04:27:21 PM
puerzer

View Profile
« Reply #989 on: May 25, 2013, 04:27:21 PM »

I could probably match Scott's offer. I live pretty close to the Calgary airport. A bed, a shower and a garage to build a bike.
It'd probably be best you contact me before you leave home. But if your hard up...send me an email.

Steve

spuerzer[at]telusplanet.net

Topic Name: Tour Divide 2013 Reply #990 on: May 26, 2013, 12:54:52 AM
Christopher R. Bennett

View Profile WWW
« Reply #990 on: May 26, 2013, 12:54:52 AM »

The ITT season has started. Billy Rice is north of Silver City trying to be the first to do a back-to-back NoBo/SoBo run. You can follow his progress on http://trackleaders.com/tourdivide13i.php?name=Billy_Rice_Yo

And to think that when he told me a few months ago he was thinking of doing this I didn't believe him...

Topic Name: Tour Divide 2013 Reply #991 on: May 26, 2013, 05:14:25 AM
BobM

View Profile
« Reply #991 on: May 26, 2013, 05:14:25 AM »

The ITT season has started. Billy Rice is north of Silver City trying to be the first to do a back-to-back NoBo/SoBo run. You can follow his progress on http://trackleaders.com/tourdivide13i.php?name=Billy_Rice_Yo

And to think that when he told me a few months ago he was thinking of doing this I didn't believe him...

If he establishes the round-trip record will that entice JayP, I wonder?

Check out my leatherwork shop at www.etsy.com/shop/BirchCreekLeather

Topic Name: Tour Divide 2013 Reply #992 on: May 26, 2013, 12:45:54 PM
Mauro_N

View Profile
« Reply #992 on: May 26, 2013, 12:45:54 PM »

Mauro, i have the woodchipper bar and i use the aero bars.
With aero bars you have a relax position  and you can found a little break for your hands. Ok, is most comfortable than a flat bar, but if you have your weight ever on your hands is possible to have a problems.
After my longest ride EVER (39hrs non stop without aero bars) I'm come back home with problems on my fingers... Now in my long rides i use the aero bars and all my finger problems are finished!

Marco et al thanks for the advice on aero bars, after a quite a few tweaks I have it pretty comfortable and can certainly see how they will save the hands. Also guys thanks for the info on the availability of CR123 batteries. Ill add in another  resupply point for them along the route via a post office and carry a few more than I would if they were AA. It turns out that I'm willing to carry a bit of extra weight so I will not run out of batteries for the Exposure Spark.

After reading about TD racers having Achilles problems and other issues I have decided to carry or pre apply pre cut Kinesio tape to help support the joints as well as relieve some pain. I thought that Ill share the idea, as it was suggested to me by a Physio who works for a professional rugby team and recommended pre application. I think the pre application is a preventative measure instead of waiting for something to happen then tape.

Mauro

Topic Name: Tour Divide 2013 Reply #993 on: May 26, 2013, 01:45:10 PM
marco_n

View Profile WWW
« Reply #993 on: May 26, 2013, 01:45:10 PM »

ciao guys!

i'm still looking the GPS track...

I note, on NM, the route on the gpx file is on the alternative road, "CHACO" and "EL MALPAIS" alternate...
now the question: For the race, I (we) consider this alternate like "official" route, or we ride the main route and use the altrnates ONLY in case of fire or rain alert?
Marco Costa tell me, on the last 2 edition, have rided the alternates, and rescue me about "use the alternates if is it on the gpx file".

I consider the GPX file the ONLY route to follow?

thanx!

Topic Name: Tour Divide 2013 Reply #994 on: May 26, 2013, 05:44:59 PM
DocTrike

Adventure & Ultra tricyclist.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #994 on: May 26, 2013, 05:44:59 PM »

1) @Scott, thanks for your kind offer to the racers of 2013!

« Last Edit: May 31, 2013, 11:20:20 PM by Doctrike » Logged

Ultra Adventure Triker, Digital Nomad

Topic Name: Tour Divide 2013 Reply #995 on: May 26, 2013, 10:10:15 PM
Christopher R. Bennett

View Profile WWW
« Reply #995 on: May 26, 2013, 10:10:15 PM »

After reading about TD racers having Achilles problems and other issues I have decided to carry or pre apply pre cut Kinesio tape to help support the joints as well as relieve some pain. I thought that Ill share the idea, as it was suggested to me by a Physio who works for a professional rugby team and recommended pre application. I think the pre application is a preventative measure instead of waiting for something to happen then tape.

Mauro

If you are worried about Achille's tendon problems, check out the BRD Achilles brace. Work great for me.

http://www.brdsport.com/products/ankle-braces/products/view/4/1

Topic Name: Tour Divide 2013 Reply #996 on: May 27, 2013, 12:56:45 AM
chainagent

View Profile WWW
« Reply #996 on: May 27, 2013, 12:56:45 AM »

4) That said, what is the snow level through Canada and into Montana like now? Anyone have a good link for weather tracking on the divide? If I do ride the trike pushing a trike in deep snow sucks BIGTIME!!

Go to http://tourdivide.org/leaderboard and select Map layers. Check the option "Snow Depth"

My Tour Divide 2013 Blog: http://mgtd2013.blogspot.de/

Topic Name: Tour Divide 2013 Reply #997 on: May 27, 2013, 10:48:58 AM
Tristan A.

View Profile
« Reply #997 on: May 27, 2013, 10:48:58 AM »

I feel pretty dumb asking this but i wont be racing until 2015 and i am just not sure if i wanna ride a hardtail or full suspension if i ride a full suspension i wont have to buy a new bike but if i ride a hardtail i will have to buy a new bike. What is your guys' opinion i would reall appreciate it

Topic Name: Tour Divide 2013 Reply #998 on: May 27, 2013, 10:57:04 AM
Endurance Junkie

View Profile
« Reply #998 on: May 27, 2013, 10:57:04 AM »

I feel pretty dumb asking this but i wont be racing until 2015 and i am just not sure if i wanna ride a hardtail or full suspension if i ride a full suspension i wont have to buy a new bike but if i ride a hardtail i will have to buy a new bike. What is your guys' opinion i would reall appreciate it
Hard tail

Finding myself by way of bike

Topic Name: Tour Divide 2013 Reply #999 on: May 27, 2013, 11:24:24 AM
bpeschka

View Profile
« Reply #999 on: May 27, 2013, 11:24:24 AM »

Look at this year's start list in google docs and see what this year's entrants are riding.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AnV6xT65HkPRdFRTWGUyNTRnWGNrNkZsbVVPNTViNkE#gid=0

Pages: 1 ... 48 49 [50] 51 52 ... 63
Reply New Topic New Poll
Jump to: