Pages: 1 ... 43 44 [45] 46 47 ... 63
Reply Reply New Topic New Poll
  Topic Name: Tour Divide 2013 Reply #880 on: May 12, 2013, 12:25:20 PM
Christopher R. Bennett

View Profile WWW
« Reply #880 on: May 12, 2013, 12:25:20 PM »

www.tourdivide.org is now password protected "by invitation only" (as of a couple minutes ago).  Anyone know what's up?

The person responsible for the site (it's not Matt) has been overseas. Hopefully it will be up soon.

Topic Name: Tour Divide 2013 Reply #881 on: May 13, 2013, 09:34:32 AM
JDP

View Profile
« Reply #881 on: May 13, 2013, 09:34:32 AM »

and why does there need to be an organizer? seems like there is plenty of information floating about to go do what anybody wants to do and if there intention is for it to be public then Trackleaders can pick that end up if you so incline to hire them for there service. and if people want to leave on the same date then that will happen through these outlets.
am i missing something? what is it that people are looking for from an organizer that you can't figure out right now - through others and the archived material?
i don't think it matters at this point if the website goes stale and there is no one person to ask curious questions too. it will carry on just fine without.

I agree with JayP on this.  The challenge is out there.  The info is out there.  See you in June.

Topic Name: Tour Divide 2013 Reply #882 on: May 13, 2013, 10:14:48 AM
Done

View Profile
« Reply #882 on: May 13, 2013, 10:14:48 AM »

and why does there need to be an organizer? seems like there is plenty of information floating about to go do what anybody wants to do and if there intention is for it to be public then Trackleaders can pick that end up if you so incline to hire them for there service. and if people want to leave on the same date then that will happen through these outlets.
am i missing something? what is it that people are looking for from an organizer that you can't figure out right now - through others and the archived material?
i don't think it matters at this point if the website goes stale and there is no one person to ask curious questions too. it will carry on just fine without.
It's pretty hard to argue that the TD hasn't benefited from an organizer. Matthew Lee has put a huge amount of time and energy into the TD. Everything from drafting and tweaking rules to posting last-minute fire and snow re-routes. The website was a fun resource for inspiration, results, etc. Matthew's generosity has inspired and enabled many people to undertake life-altering adventures.

The other big races also owe a lot to their respective organizers. Part of what they have done is to help address potential legal and access issues. Not by filling in reams of paperwork, but rather by directing participants to follow certain customs, maintaining positive relationships with agencies, etc. For example, Scott's leadership has helped the AZT navigate the Grand Canyon crossing in a way that works for everyone. Stefan maintains a positive relationship with the Colorado Trail Foundation. Subtle stuff--but highly effective at helping keep these events alive.

Maybe all of these races will one day become as secretive and underground as the KTR. To me, that would be a pity. I think that skillful and dedicated organizers can help prevent that from happening.

"Done"

Topic Name: Tour Divide 2013 Reply #883 on: May 13, 2013, 01:17:35 PM
Prometheus

View Profile
« Reply #883 on: May 13, 2013, 01:17:35 PM »

Well said Toby.  I amazed at the level of volunteer effort that the organizers have put into these type of events.  As I was riding the Stagecoach 400, I couldn't help but think how much work went into linking so many disparate sections of trail into one big loop.

FYI everyone, I have received several emails from Matthew Lee with 2013 specific race details and trackleader registration information.  If you have not received these emails, you probably need to get in touch with Matthew Lee.

Topic Name: Tour Divide 2013 Reply #884 on: May 13, 2013, 01:34:44 PM
DocTrike

Adventure & Ultra tricyclist.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #884 on: May 13, 2013, 01:34:44 PM »

In regards to Matt,

I have sent him two e-mails in the last month, I have not received a reply yet but I am sure I will here from him eventually he is a busy guy. I am concentrating on logistics now; until that is done I don't need anything from Matt unless there is route changes from the official ACA maps.

« Last Edit: May 19, 2013, 05:48:14 PM by Doctrike » Logged

Ultra Adventure Triker, Digital Nomad

Topic Name: Tour Divide 2013 Reply #885 on: May 13, 2013, 08:17:24 PM
hikernks

Got Gravel?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #885 on: May 13, 2013, 08:17:24 PM »

Tour Divide Insomnia Data (US only)

Here's the US breakdown of the Tour Divide Start List:

California x 11
Colorado x 10
Texas x 6
Ohio x 6
Arizona x 6
Virginia x 4
Florida x 4
Oregon x 3
New York x 3
Iowa x 3
Vermont x 3
Utah x 3
Illinois x 2
Pennsylvania x 2

States with one racer:
Alabama
South Carolina
Missouri
New Jersey
North Carolina
Kentucky
Washington
Maryland
Tennessee
Kansas
Nevada
Tennessee
New Hampshire

Curiously, the only state on the route with racers is Colorado.  Montana, Idaho, Wyoming, and New Mexico are all absent.  Ok, I'm going to try the bed thing again.

"Man's proper estate is an upright posture, an intransigent mind, and a step that travels unlimited roads." - Ayn Rand, Atlas Shrugged.

http://dingo41.wordpress.com

Topic Name: Tour Divide 2013 Reply #886 on: May 13, 2013, 09:39:16 PM
fastmtnbiker33w

Nuclear Sunrise Stitchworks

View Profile WWW
« Reply #886 on: May 13, 2013, 09:39:16 PM »

I know Cjell is back in as a Nobo.  He's from Minnesota or Wisconsin, but lives in Vail, CO.  He's got a fargo style frame to finish building before he rides all the way to Mexico for the start.  I'm sure there are others from those states, but they probably are doing as others have mentioned.....stealth mode with no tracking.  Nothing like posting up 3,000 miles of Strava data to make a statement.

Topic Name: Tour Divide 2013 Reply #887 on: May 14, 2013, 07:03:59 AM
JeffM-VT

View Profile
« Reply #887 on: May 14, 2013, 07:03:59 AM »

One month until the start - getting excited and need to get in some big training miles (I definitely won't be overtrained)!  Planning on a 3 day ride this weekend to help get the legs, butt, etc. ready for the long ride.  And make sure that my gear is ready. 

FYI that I booked a room at the YWCA last week.  So there were still rooms as of then.  I'm in a bunk room which is $30 when you mention that you're riding the TD.

Though may still cancel if the weather sounds good.  Camping at one of the Tunnel Mountain campgrounds is $27 something (plus tax) but is per site.  So would offer some savings if 3-4 people were to share a site.  Is anyone interested? 

Or is there good reason to definitely stay at the YWCA?  My goal is to keep expenses down (as few hotels as possible) and I sleep better in my tent anyway.

Yes - I'm going with a tent (around 3 lbs.) but for my first TD I really want the peace of mind that having a tent along will give me.  On the last night of the AML 400 last October I had about the best night of sleep I ever had (was just incredibly comfortable in the tent).  Helped me feel super strong and competitive on the tough last day.  So am hoping that an extra pound or 2 won't matter much.

Good luck to everyone with final prep!

Topic Name: Tour Divide 2013 Reply #888 on: May 14, 2013, 07:06:21 AM
BobM

View Profile
« Reply #888 on: May 14, 2013, 07:06:21 AM »

One month until the start - getting excited and need to get in some big training miles (I definitely won't be overtrained)!  Planning on a 3 day ride this weekend to help get the legs, butt, etc. ready for the long ride.  And make sure that my gear is ready. 

FYI that I booked a room at the YWCA last week.  So there were still rooms as of then.  I'm in a bunk room which is $30 when you mention that you're riding the TD.

Though may still cancel if the weather sounds good.  Camping at one of the Tunnel Mountain campgrounds is $27 something (plus tax) but is per site.  So would offer some savings if 3-4 people were to share a site.  Is anyone interested? 

Or is there good reason to definitely stay at the YWCA?  My goal is to keep expenses down (as few hotels as possible) and I sleep better in my tent anyway.

Yes - I'm going with a tent (around 3 lbs.) but for my first TD I really want the peace of mind that having a tent along will give me.  On the last night of the AML 400 last October I had about the best night of sleep I ever had (was just incredibly comfortable in the tent).  Helped me feel super strong and competitive on the tough last day.  So am hoping that an extra pound or 2 won't matter much.

Good luck to everyone with final prep!

The Y provides a big meeting room for TD use in assembling bikes, chatting, whatever.  If you camp you will probably want to spend time at the Y anyway to meet and share ideas unless you are a complete loner.

Check out my leatherwork shop at www.etsy.com/shop/BirchCreekLeather

Topic Name: Tour Divide 2013 Reply #889 on: May 14, 2013, 08:13:21 AM
JeffM-VT

View Profile
« Reply #889 on: May 14, 2013, 08:13:21 AM »

Thanks Bob...  Does sound nicer and much more convenient.  Definitely want company, cameradie, etc. and will need to weigh that against cost and better sleep.  Just the way I've learned to travel - that keeping costs down is part of the game.  Doing the TD has already proven to be an expensive proposition and still a month away from the start!

Likely I'll be at the YWCA...

Topic Name: Tour Divide 2013 Reply #890 on: May 14, 2013, 08:15:30 AM
BobM

View Profile
« Reply #890 on: May 14, 2013, 08:15:30 AM »

Thanks Bob...  Does sound nicer and much more convenient.  Definitely want company, cameradie, etc. and will need to weigh that against cost and better sleep.  Just the way I've learned to travel - that keeping costs down is part of the game.  Doing the TD has already proven to be an expensive proposition and still a month away from the start!

Likely I'll be at the YWCA...

Well, there's no entry fee at the Y, so you can certainly camp and then come over to the Y and hang (and do some group recon rides, etc).

Topic Name: Tour Divide 2013 Reply #891 on: May 14, 2013, 10:49:02 AM
TDrider2014

View Profile
« Reply #891 on: May 14, 2013, 10:49:02 AM »

I maybe considered as a guy that doesn't make any good points, or so I'm told by 1 regular here.
Cheesy

But continue reading please.

I think the website went down or the owner lost interest in maintaining it when that "fixy rider" woman complained about being regulated.  I think they threw the towel in.

IIRC, correct me if I'm wrong, she had the Director of Badwater 135 miler speaking poorly about TD.

I too would cancel a website.

I once had a race and a guy I didn't know walked up to me before the race and said "The map is wrong". I laughed in his face and said, "Of course it's wrong this is Adventure Racing, get over yourself." In fact the map was accurate; the racer wasn't even from the State.

Dealing with people can be difficult even as a paid Company owner. I think since after 2010 the TD results were not posted. Well those are my thoughts, at least - I'm sure I'll be attacked.

Cheesy

Topic Name: Tour Divide 2013 Reply #892 on: May 14, 2013, 10:57:07 AM
BobM

View Profile
« Reply #892 on: May 14, 2013, 10:57:07 AM »

I maybe considered as a guy that doesn't make any good points, or so I'm told by 1 regular here.
Cheesy

But continue reading please.

I think the website went down or the owner lost interest in maintaining it when that "fixy rider" woman complained about being regulated.  I think they threw the towel in.

IIRC, correct me if I'm wrong, she had the Director of Badwater 135 miler speaking poorly about TD.

I too would cancel a website.

I once had a race and a guy I didn't know walked up to me before the race and said "The map is wrong". I laughed in his face and said, "Of course it's wrong this is Adventure Racing, get over yourself." In fact the map was accurate; the racer wasn't even from the State.

Dealing with people can be difficult even as a paid Company owner. I think since after 2010 the TD results were not posted. Well those are my thoughts, at least - I'm sure I'll be attacked.

Cheesy

Hi TD,

No flames from me, but I believe you are off the mark. Matthew made the best decision he could in Deanna's case and he knows it.  As to the "inactive" website - if there is no apparent organizer and no (apparently) active website, then no one can be held responsible for bureaucratic nonsense.

Topic Name: Tour Divide 2013 Reply #893 on: May 14, 2013, 11:54:10 AM
Done

View Profile
« Reply #893 on: May 14, 2013, 11:54:10 AM »

I think the website went down or the owner lost interest in maintaining it when that "fixy rider" woman complained about being regulated.  I think they threw the towel in.
The timing wasn't likely right for Deanna's issue to have played a role.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2013, 01:18:39 PM by TobyGadd » Logged

"Done"

Topic Name: Tour Divide 2013 Reply #894 on: May 15, 2013, 08:33:56 AM
Cosmo K

View Profile
« Reply #894 on: May 15, 2013, 08:33:56 AM »

To all of my TD comrades. 

I am out.  It's tough to swallow but I've got a knee issue that after a month off and some cortisone has not completely resolved itself.  Last year, I was hit by a vehicle and couldn't make it.  I guess the 3rd time, 2014, will be the charm PLUS I'll have one additional year of training in my legs.  I am seriously bummed but will be watching and obsessing from afar again.

Good Luck all and be safe.
btw - I have a single room reserved at the Y that I'm cancelling today if interested.

Topic Name: Tour Divide 2013 Reply #895 on: May 15, 2013, 12:29:16 PM
DocTrike

View Profile WWW
« Reply #895 on: May 15, 2013, 12:29:16 PM »

Is there a coupon code for ACA maps store checkout for TDR racers? Do I want to buy the ACA cue sheets or is there somewhere else I can download those? Any route changes for 2013 not covered by the ACA GDMBR maps?

I want to get these ordered ASAP so prompt responses appreciated!

Topic Name: Tour Divide 2013 Reply #896 on: May 15, 2013, 01:33:05 PM
Cosmo K

View Profile
« Reply #896 on: May 15, 2013, 01:33:05 PM »

Coupon: Not that I know of.
Purchase cue sheets: Yes.  You can't download them.
Route Changes: Maps are up to date. Any changes are noted.

Topic Name: Tour Divide 2013 Reply #897 on: May 15, 2013, 01:43:26 PM
THE LONG RANGER

Hi-Ho, Single-Speed, AWAY!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #897 on: May 15, 2013, 01:43:26 PM »

C'mon man, don't be such a cheapskate. The ACA needs us to support them, not the other way around. They're the ones putting the effort in mapping and maintaining the route. We're all just exploiting their hard work.

Topic Name: Tour Divide 2013 Reply #898 on: May 15, 2013, 01:53:16 PM
DocTrike

View Profile WWW
« Reply #898 on: May 15, 2013, 01:53:16 PM »

Justin, I did not see anyone bashing the ACA or have I missed something. I just wanted clarification on what I needed to order and what updates I need so I can stay on course. I have ordered the complete set with cue sheets and the canadian section map. I also renewed my membership with ACA.

Topic Name: Tour Divide 2013 Reply #899 on: May 15, 2013, 02:21:49 PM
THE LONG RANGER

Hi-Ho, Single-Speed, AWAY!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #899 on: May 15, 2013, 02:21:49 PM »

You're asking for a discount on the maps that ACA sells - just for being a TDR racer (that makes no sense), and you're asking for a d/l to the cues - which they also sell. Pay, up, buddy! They're a great organization with some awesome people. If you want a deal, see about getting an ACA membership, as they do give a discount of what they sell, to members. There's a GPS track of the route, that ACA provides (for free!) - it's on their site, it's hard find, but look around.

Being on the route and thinking you're privileged just because you're doing this silly race is the wrong attitude to have. I hope no one's going in, thinking that. Hard working people are there to assist you at shops, etc. Treat them with respect! They'll most likely treat you exceedingly well, but please don't take it for granted (be pushy, be impatient) - that goes for everyone!

Off to ride (more!) bikes! </curmudgeon>

Pages: 1 ... 43 44 [45] 46 47 ... 63
Reply New Topic New Poll
Jump to: