Pages: 1 ... 35 36 [37] 38 39 ... 63
Reply Reply New Topic New Poll
  Topic Name: Tour Divide 2013 Reply #720 on: March 27, 2013, 10:49:36 PM
Pdk123

View Profile
« Reply #720 on: March 27, 2013, 10:49:36 PM »

Brendan Collier at Hub Cyclery is making a new run of "Fred Bars". Check it out on the hub cyclerys Facebook page. These are a must if u r using aerobars.

Peter

Peter Kraft Sr.

Topic Name: Tour Divide 2013 Reply #721 on: March 28, 2013, 04:43:42 AM
marco_n

View Profile WWW
« Reply #721 on: March 28, 2013, 04:43:42 AM »

suggestion about water purify system?
catadyn pillows, water filter, steripen.....

wich the best and safe solution?

Topic Name: Tour Divide 2013 Reply #722 on: March 28, 2013, 06:04:00 AM
phil_rad

View Profile
« Reply #722 on: March 28, 2013, 06:04:00 AM »

Marco,

I like the steripen option, easy and fairly quick to use and effective but the water has to be clear. Tablets take a few hours to be fully effective. Filters are heavy and bulky. Some say not to drink the surface water at all, but you have to know the route well for that option.

Topic Name: Tour Divide 2013 Reply #723 on: March 28, 2013, 06:08:11 AM
marco_n

View Profile WWW
« Reply #723 on: March 28, 2013, 06:08:11 AM »

Marco,

I like the steripen option, easy and fairly quick to use and effective but the water has to be clear. Tablets take a few hours to be fully effective. Filters are heavy and bulky. Some say not to drink the surface water at all, but you have to know the route well for that option.
I know the steripen have a low batteries life... It is true? I don't want to think about batteries for gps, spot, steripen, camera, phone....

Topic Name: Tour Divide 2013 Reply #724 on: March 28, 2013, 06:15:36 AM
ron

View Profile
« Reply #724 on: March 28, 2013, 06:15:36 AM »

I've always gotten good results with Aqua Mira chlorine drops:

http://www.allfilters.com/campingfilters/purificationadditives/aquamira-drops?gclid=CPGk4dS9n7YCFQk4nAod9RUAEA

You can even premix parts A&B into a little mini dropper every morning to eliminate the first ~5 wait so you can just treat and roll. (Wait is another 15 mins per liter after you treat the water with the A+B mix.)

Topic Name: Tour Divide 2013 Reply #725 on: March 28, 2013, 06:17:57 AM
BobM

View Profile
« Reply #725 on: March 28, 2013, 06:17:57 AM »

suggestion about water purify system?
catadyn pillows, water filter, steripen.....

wich the best and safe solution?

Best option is the "Leader's Strategy" - drink like a camel in town and ride so fast that you get to the next safe water source without needing to filter.  This requires good route knowledge, though, as Phil said.

Filters - most are heavy, some not so much. This one weighs 3 ounces:  http://www.amazon.com/Sawyer-Personal-Water-Bottle-Filter/dp/B005SO8VAE  I throw away the bottle and just use the filter.  The tube fits one of my bottles, so I designate that my "dirty water bottle" and squeeze the water through the filter into my drinking bottles.  EDIT:  Some people splice this filter inline to a camelbak and filter as they suck.

Chemicals - lots of controversy on tablets, liquids, and chlorine.  They kill bacteria and virus, but may not get all protozoa, cysts, eggs, etc.

Steripen - needs batteries and clear water to work.  Some models have been reported to fail for no apparent reason.

Check out my leatherwork shop at www.etsy.com/shop/BirchCreekLeather

Topic Name: Tour Divide 2013 Reply #726 on: March 28, 2013, 06:19:07 AM
Cosmo K

View Profile
« Reply #726 on: March 28, 2013, 06:19:07 AM »

Marco,

I'm using Aquatabs.  Tablets that take 40 minutes to make water safe for drinking.

http://www.aquatabs.com/

Cheers

Topic Name: Tour Divide 2013 Reply #727 on: March 28, 2013, 06:24:50 AM
BobM

View Profile
« Reply #727 on: March 28, 2013, 06:24:50 AM »

Here's a review article:

http://www.outdoorgearlab.com/Backpacking-Water-Filter-Reviews#bicreview

Check out my leatherwork shop at www.etsy.com/shop/BirchCreekLeather

Topic Name: Tour Divide 2013 Reply #728 on: March 28, 2013, 07:01:35 AM
hikernks

Got Gravel?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #728 on: March 28, 2013, 07:01:35 AM »

I used a steri-pen during a 4 day canoe trip in the Boundary Waters, and got about 10 liters of water on a set of batteries.  I have the one that uses CR123 batteries.  Don't know how well the others work.  The Sawyer filter is definitely the way to go, IMO.  I'm also carrying tablets as a backup.  They don't weigh anything, and you don't have to mess with filtering before bed.  Just fill your bladder, drop tablets, and crash.

"Man's proper estate is an upright posture, an intransigent mind, and a step that travels unlimited roads." - Ayn Rand, Atlas Shrugged.

http://dingo41.wordpress.com

Topic Name: Tour Divide 2013 Reply #729 on: March 28, 2013, 07:39:48 AM
LenzMan

View Profile
« Reply #729 on: March 28, 2013, 07:39:48 AM »

With my steri pen, last year....I took the batteries out of it after every use, that way the batteries lasted about 1/2 the ride....i think i bought more bats in Helena..Huh?  anyway...the pen worked great for me once i was able to out think a battery....

Topic Name: Tour Divide 2013 Reply #730 on: March 28, 2013, 08:48:51 AM
JRA

View Profile
« Reply #730 on: March 28, 2013, 08:48:51 AM »

I've always been a little particular about the taste of water.  I've tried several of the chemical solutions and didn't care for the taste it left in the water.  Some people say they can't taste it and others say the taste doesn't bother them.  The chem treatment is probably the lightest and simplest option so give a try at home and see what you think.

I've had good luck with the Sawyer filter.  I have the gravity drip style which works well, though the squeeze bottle style appears to be more compact and possibly lighter.  Either way, Sawyer is worth a look.

I still have my old standby - an MSR pump filter.  It works great but it's heavy, bulky and requires a lot of pumping.  The pumping doesn't sound like much effort, but when you're fried, it's actually kind of pain in the arse.  Now I just lay down and take a short break while my Sawyer filter is dripping clean water in to my containers.

I don't know what the question is - but the answer is: Lubrication!

Topic Name: Tour Divide 2013 Reply #731 on: March 28, 2013, 10:34:27 PM
Marshal

View Profile WWW
« Reply #731 on: March 28, 2013, 10:34:27 PM »

I have used this combination with success on the TDR & other multi-day events several years running now

http://www.steripen.com/pre-filter/  (with either a 1 liter or 32 oz bottle depending on event)
http://www.steripen.com/classic/

……(Never had a battery issue with my classic pen but I try to choose all my battery gear so as to utilize AA lithium batteries—so I always have spares even if I had to cannibalize/share for the steripen or GPS or night light etc etc...)

I carry a few chem tabs as back up but never really use them, I do not care for the taste and do not want to deal with the added delay vs risk-- but chem does make the best back up imo…..

Anyway, with a couple of exceptions/sections, water on the TDR is a piece of cake—lots of clear cold surface water at higher elevations that is perfect for the UV “drink-right-away” method—& lots of potable resupply options freely available to those who have done their homework.

Marshal

Edit--Now that I think about it, I used a surprisingly small amount of water as I always tried to buy &drink calories vs plain water, Pepsi & ice in the 100oz bladder + a few bottles of orange juice in my jersey pockets became my daily routine when I could swing it…..I always had a spare bottle of water, some of that water I carried 2-3 hundred miles & then just dumped it out & re-filled with fresh….
« Last Edit: March 28, 2013, 10:43:19 PM by Marshal » Logged

Topic Name: Tour Divide 2013 Reply #732 on: March 29, 2013, 11:36:32 AM
Christopher R. Bennett

View Profile WWW
« Reply #732 on: March 29, 2013, 11:36:32 AM »

For those from overseas, I've used www.Net2Phone.com for several years as a calling card. There is a 1-800 number you use from any phone. You can probably set it up before you arrive. Quite handy given the absence of mobile phone coverage.

Topic Name: Tour Divide 2013 Reply #733 on: March 30, 2013, 05:24:32 PM
Veetack

View Profile WWW
« Reply #733 on: March 30, 2013, 05:24:32 PM »

From a hiking perspective, here's what I've learned about water purification. Some of you may find this ridiculous. If I'm at altitude in the mountains, and I'm pulling out of a spring, 9 times out of 10 I don't purify my water, as it's most likely clean when it's that close to the source. However, if I have any question whatsoever to the cleanliness, I will use aqua mira drops. They're super light, and super effective. They're also effective at killing most things you will find in tainted water, and I don't really notice a difference in taste. so it works for me. Not to mention the space savings.

However, if I were to use a filter/pump, I'm pretty sure I would go with the Katahdyn Hiker Pro, as it is lightweight, compact, and easily maintainable.
http://www.rei.com/product/830745/katadyn-hiker-pro-water-filter

As for the Steripen, during my time on the AT, virtually everyone I came across using one was not a fan, and they have quite the reputation for breaking or having issues with they're waterproofing (how something that's meant to be submerged isn't waterproof is beyond me). Frankly, I wouldn't want to risk it.

May your mileage always be higher than your post count.

blog: veloadventurer.blogspot.com

Topic Name: Tour Divide 2013 Reply #734 on: March 31, 2013, 08:09:45 AM
mtbcast

View Profile WWW
« Reply #734 on: March 31, 2013, 08:09:45 AM »

It's interesting I did a hike up to the glacier above Lake Louise. I hadn't really prepared to hike that far but the further you go the more you want to see. I took no water but there was a lot of snow run-off so I drank small bits of that. Same thinking, this was all snow hours ago. Not much chance of horse travel, animal dung etc. I didn't get sick and probably would do it again over dehydrating.

That said, the GDMBR is probably littered with stories of giardia. We've had several cases during the GDR and TD. Most of the water you'll find will probably need purifying.

JP - MTBCast.com

Topic Name: Tour Divide 2013 Reply #735 on: March 31, 2013, 10:05:27 AM
cjellmoney

View Profile
« Reply #735 on: March 31, 2013, 10:05:27 AM »

I have hiked and biked thousands of miles without filtering anything. Would I recommend it? nah, but for some it works. I think there are some that can carry giardia and not show symptoms. http://www.backpacker.com/community/ask_buck/180

It started from being in the high alpine and figuring it was safe and after that it was just laziness. I have carried a dropper bottle with bleach in it. Couple drops per liter. Tastes like bleach but can be improvised at any grocery store. I think a MSR pump would be a very poor choice. The thought and work that goes into getting a light setup just crushed by something that can be replaced by a few pills or dropper bottle. just my two pennies.

Topic Name: Tour Divide 2013 Reply #736 on: April 01, 2013, 09:52:59 AM
ron

View Profile
« Reply #736 on: April 01, 2013, 09:52:59 AM »

OT, but fun read:

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/03/28/sports/the-barkley-marathons-few-know-how-to-enter-fewer-finish.html?_r=0&pagewanted=all

"[...] This is the Barkley Marathons, the world’s toughest and most secretive trail race.

'The Barkley is a problem,' Gary Cantrell, 59, the race’s director and creator, said recently. 'All the other big races are set up for you to succeed. The Barkley is set up for you to fail.'

As ultrarunning has increased in popularity, many of its signature races have evolved from low-key affairs to big-time events with corporate sponsors and entry fees of $1,000 or more. The Barkley costs just $1.60 to enter and has not grown because Tennessee park officials will not allow more than 35 runners a year. But with the sport’s popularity on the rise and the Barkley about to be featured in a documentary, many connected to it hope the competition known as the Race That Eats Its Young can maintain its eccentric, counterculture charm. [...]"

« Last Edit: April 01, 2013, 10:07:51 AM by ron » Logged

Topic Name: Tour Divide 2013 Reply #737 on: April 02, 2013, 05:57:34 PM
Mike K.

View Profile
« Reply #737 on: April 02, 2013, 05:57:34 PM »

Seconding cjell, unless you can boil water, bleach/chlorine is a safe, reliable method.  If you must drink surface water, 5 drops (5 ml) per liter for 30 minutes plus one drop on the outside bottle nipple. This is well over the normal percentage needed for decontamination and should be enough to break giardia's outer shell.  Since bike bottles are not fully air tight, as you pedal along the chlorine evaporates and most of the pool smell escapes. The taste is noticeable but not horrible. Even if you don't drink surface water, all riders will be exposed to giardia and other bugs just from road spray on their bottles, water tubes, or hands. I ended up drinking quite a bit of surface water. For me the sketchiest was the stretch between Rollins and Brush Mountain Lodge. I fully expected to develop giadiasis but never did. The best surface water I had was a spring just after topping Union Pass. One day last fall I was touring with my wife out in western Virginia. We crossed a slow moving creek and she remarked how gross the water looked. I smiled but didn't tell her I drank water like that a few times, and was glad to have it, on the GDMBR.

Topic Name: Tour Divide 2013 Reply #738 on: April 03, 2013, 12:04:56 PM
Blackhound

View Profile
« Reply #738 on: April 03, 2013, 12:04:56 PM »

I was towards the back in 2011 TD and managed without using any surface water, just by bottles from shops or gas stations.  I had a 4l MSR dromeday, folding 1l bag and 2 x 750ml bidon's.  I would occasionally have additional bottles of juice, coffee when leaving town.  I did take some tablets but never used them.

I never had a problem until New Mexico.  I left Pie Town with loads of water and re-filled at 100 miles later at Forest workstation for the 80 miles into Silver City.  At the road to Sapillo camp ground I believed I had sufficient food and water for the 26 miles into Silver City and it would cost me ~1 hour to go to/from Roberts campground.  3 hours later I had covered 5.5 miles and was getting into a bit of a state.  I did not have the strength to push, carry or get on my bike proerly and then kept falling off if wheel hit anything.  Had a pint of coke and a pint of water at a bar 6 miles from SC and felt fine straight away.

Next day I managed to dring over 10 litres on run to border so was clearly a bit dehydrated.

Next time I would not be too worried except for NM where I would consider taking more.

Topic Name: Tour Divide 2013 Reply #739 on: April 04, 2013, 11:00:05 PM
TDrider2014

View Profile
« Reply #739 on: April 04, 2013, 11:00:05 PM »

I just want to share a story about a lesson learned.

I was once in the hills of West Virginia - full speed ahead on a downhill.  The elevation drop was about 1,500 feet on a gravel road that happens to be used as a Road.  It's desolate out there so I didn't expect any traffic.  I didn't see any traffic going up the hill earlier that day.  

If you are familiar with big climbs and descents then you'll know that, depending on distance covered, it can take anywhere from 10 to 20 minutes to Dive bomb a hill - a drop of 1k to 1,500.  If it's sketchy then you slow down.  So there I go bombing down this hill.  I think at some time I reached speeds of 30 mph easily.  I'm usually comfortable at about 35 when there is gravel.  If it's smooth road then about 45 mph.  This was not smooth, it was a narrow gravel road.  Also, keep in mind that I had a good amount of experience behind me climbing and descending big hills - of different types like technical Single track and even roads.  This hill was about 15 grade but sometimes it seems like it went to 20.  I had already descended about 900 feet.

As I'm approaching a blind corner in the hill, the turn is about 1/4 mile away from me but I'm carrying some speed, I see a moving truck climbing.  Now, this truck is big, it's one that can tow a car on a full length trailer with all 4 wheels of the towed car off the ground.  The driver sees me.  I see the driver.  I wait for cues and then notice that he is "flooring" it; I'm talking torque and RPMs.  Remember this is a steep hill and I don't think he wants to stop mid hill.

So I begin to apply some brake but think that I can easily apply too much - and skid loosing control. If I lay it down he could crush me. My other 2 options were to slow down or ditch off the edge of the road which dropped about 300 feet and hope for the best.  These 3 options raced through my head repeatedly for about 2 seconds.  Finally I was able to control the speed but just on the very edge of the road.  I was about 1 foot away from tipping over and off.  How far was I away from the truck? Not far enough.

That was definitely an experience to learn from - and I did learn. Anyhow, whatever type of rider you are - try to anticipate anything and some things that you may not be expecting.  Best of luck preparing for TD 2013; throw down some centuries and do some camping.  Cheers.

« Last Edit: April 05, 2013, 06:41:53 AM by TDrider2014 » Logged
  Pages: 1 ... 35 36 [37] 38 39 ... 63
Reply New Topic New Poll
Jump to: