Pages: 1 ... 30 31 [32] 33 34 ... 63
Reply Reply New Topic New Poll
  Topic Name: Tour Divide 2013 Reply #620 on: March 16, 2013, 06:52:34 PM
mikejolly

View Profile
« Reply #620 on: March 16, 2013, 06:52:34 PM »

When stuff falls off bikes ahead on me (lots of bikes), pick it up, leave it, depends on what it is?  Anyone need a ride from El Paso to Antelope wells for the start?

Topic Name: Tour Divide 2013 Reply #621 on: March 16, 2013, 08:03:12 PM
vmjim

View Profile WWW
« Reply #621 on: March 16, 2013, 08:03:12 PM »

Don't fear the rack!
I used a rack, panniers, small frame bag, and a seat bag with the goal of nothing on my back.  My rack didn't work loose and my panniers were small so they didn't hang on anything.  My frame had 4 attach points for the rack.  I would not recommend the cantilever type rack.  They have a reputation for failing on the TDR.  You can see my setup on my blog link below.

If I were to go again, I would look for a titanium rack. 
jim

Topic Name: Tour Divide 2013 Reply #622 on: March 17, 2013, 07:14:42 AM
Longtrailahead

View Profile WWW
« Reply #622 on: March 17, 2013, 07:14:42 AM »

For all you folks obsessing over your gear and bike setup, I thought I'd add to your fever and post a video review of the bikes of the TDR 2012 taken just before the start.  Enjoy!
http://youtu.be/RzM4Iwy4Iak
Jim
Nice!

Topic Name: Tour Divide 2013 Reply #623 on: March 17, 2013, 07:19:48 AM
BobM

View Profile
« Reply #623 on: March 17, 2013, 07:19:48 AM »

Don't fear the rack!
I used a rack, panniers, small frame bag, and a seat bag with the goal of nothing on my back.  My rack didn't work loose and my panniers were small so they didn't hang on anything.  My frame had 4 attach points for the rack.  I would not recommend the cantilever type rack.  They have a reputation for failing on the TDR.  You can see my setup on my blog link below.

If I were to go again, I would look for a titanium rack. 
jim

I should mention that although I posted commonly stated drawbacks of a rear rack, I used one.  However, I replaced all screws with hex head (allen) bolts and brought a small supply of zip ties in case of weld breaks.  I also only had a dry bag strapped to it and had the backup plan of tying the bag up under the seat if the rack broke.  I mainly had the rack for extra carrying capacity if needed; I was a bit paranoid about having too much gear strapped back there because a lot of the route is pretty bumpy and anything falling off the rear would go unnoticed until too late.

Check out my leatherwork shop at www.etsy.com/shop/BirchCreekLeather

Topic Name: Tour Divide 2013 Reply #624 on: March 17, 2013, 09:23:28 AM
linshepard

View Profile
« Reply #624 on: March 17, 2013, 09:23:28 AM »

Hi All,

We've finally got it done. The Cordillera Volume 4 - on the 2012 Tour Divide Race - is available for purchase from:

http://www.lulu.com/shop/christopher-r-bennett/the-cordillera-volume-4/paperback/product-20711257.html;jsessionid=4FD9605CA9BBB2FFC8909FE016364BCB

icon_biggrin A big thanks to those who contributed to and produced The Cordillera #4! I have really enjoyed reading it as I prepare for this years race  thumbsup

Topic Name: Tour Divide 2013 Reply #625 on: March 17, 2013, 09:27:09 AM
Flinch

grandpasbikelife.blogspot.com

View Profile WWW
« Reply #625 on: March 17, 2013, 09:27:09 AM »

This is my first Tour, so I'm trying to prep based on your experience to reduce 'one less thang', as Momma used to say...

Bike Trailers: So, on the flick of the 2012 depart showing equipment, I didn't see any bike trailers. Since I am seriously considering towing a single wheel of my own design I'd like comments re doing so from those who have used one, given that I am planning 'touring speed' (sub-warp), not racing. If I'm totally out of it with the trailer idea, I plan on making my own soft gear/bags.

Snowpack: Anyone know what the current Canada/Montana snowpack is relative to last year? (Yep, I know it can change).

I found this re Montana snow per hydrologic basin: http://www.mt.nrcs.usda.gov/snow/data/comparison.html

If anyone is interested, my compulsive overplanning nature made me do a Google Earth display of the GPS track from Banff to Roosville, and I added elevations every 100-200' or so for grades, along with some notes re mileage and percent slopes for major climbs  (Galton Pass 4.5% climb and 9% descent, average, for example). The route notes/mileages are the ones posted here in another email for the 2012 Tour. If I can figure out how to export the data I'll be happy to share. Of course if you actually use the data from a rookie without checking it yer on yer own...

Currently, I am training with the plan to make 60-70 mile chunks every day, depending (on weather, route conditions, 62 year old legs...), and would like your experience with camp sites from Banff to border. From what I've gleaned the ones of interest are at lake near Elk Pass, the cabin past the pass, Elkford, Sparwood, Butts Cabin, possibly a cabin/guesthouse after Cabin Pass (?). Others I may have missed? I've ordered the maps and notes, so may have answers in them.

Hope to see you all there!   wave

Glen

And once the Race is over, you won't remember how you made it through, how you managed to survive. You won't even be sure whether the Race is really over. But one thing is certain. When you come out of the Race, you won't be the same person who rode in. That's what the Race is all about.

Topic Name: Tour Divide 2013 Reply #626 on: March 17, 2013, 10:44:15 AM
BobM

View Profile
« Reply #626 on: March 17, 2013, 10:44:15 AM »

Galton sure looks like 100% grade when you're standing at the top of it!

Campsites from Banff to border:

Spray Lake Campground ~20 miles (too soon)

Sawmill Picnic area 47 miles - camping not allowed, but there is a sleepable concrete 4-unit outhouse

Peninsula Picnic Area 54 miles same as Sawmill

Boulton Creek campground 60 miles $$

Elk Pass Parking Area (Boulton Creek side of pass) 61 miles - Concrete 2-unit outhouse (I slept there)

Tobermory Cabin and campground 70 miles - cabin first come-first served

Couple of Recreation Sites along Elk River Road - small wooden outhouses and a picnic table (not bear-proof, may be bear attractive depending on previous users)

Elkford 110 miles - campground and motel (motel is pricey).  Supermarket closes at 6 pm

Sparwood 140 miles - campground and 2 motels

Corbin 160 miles - no facilities but I would feel safe bivying behind the boulders at the start of the Flathead road where it turns off Corbin Road by the mine entrance.

Campsite around 179 miles - I wouldn't (no bear protection)

Butts Cabin 195 miles - first come - first served; there is also a screen porch on one of the other buildings and a campground across the road with a small wooden outhouse.

Near Wigwam River after Cabin Pass 220 miles - couple of outfitters places with cabins, barns and sheds that might be accessible; also a quarry that might have something (didn't see anything there); campground by the River that has an outhouse (I didn't stop to check out how big/bearproof).

I personally would not camp anywhere from the Wigwam River to the bottom of Galton Pass on the Roosville side.  This is where I saw the most bear sign of anywhere and there are NO buildings of any sort - just the road.  Others have camped just past the "singletrack connector" at the end of the FS road prior to Galton pass and were not mauled/eaten.

Check out my leatherwork shop at www.etsy.com/shop/BirchCreekLeather

Topic Name: Tour Divide 2013 Reply #627 on: March 17, 2013, 10:48:25 AM
Foster

View Profile
« Reply #627 on: March 17, 2013, 10:48:25 AM »

Don't forget the concrete bathroom on your way up whitefish pass!  I slept there after being followed by a bear for a mile.  You can surly improvise out there.

Go big or stay home

Topic Name: Tour Divide 2013 Reply #628 on: March 17, 2013, 01:28:00 PM
marco_n

View Profile WWW
« Reply #628 on: March 17, 2013, 01:28:00 PM »

ciao!
I've downloaded all the gps topo maps (free download) for the U.S. states, but i don't find a gps topo maps for alberta and bc...
any suggestion?

THX!

Topic Name: Tour Divide 2013 Reply #629 on: March 17, 2013, 09:29:22 PM
Mental-Miles

View Profile
« Reply #629 on: March 17, 2013, 09:29:22 PM »

Hi Marco,

do you have a link to the map Download? Thanks in advance!

Greetings

M-M

Topic Name: Tour Divide 2013 Reply #630 on: March 17, 2013, 09:30:12 PM
Flinch

grandpasbikelife.blogspot.com

View Profile WWW
« Reply #630 on: March 17, 2013, 09:30:12 PM »

Hey Marco,

Take a look at: http://www.ibycus.com/ibycustopo/ and http://www.tiredofit.ca/2010/05/30/free-canada-topographical-maps-gps/ . There is a big 3 gig file you can download, and the second site has links to instructions for torrent download method.

See ya in Banff!

Glen

And once the Race is over, you won't remember how you made it through, how you managed to survive. You won't even be sure whether the Race is really over. But one thing is certain. When you come out of the Race, you won't be the same person who rode in. That's what the Race is all about.

Topic Name: Tour Divide 2013 Reply #631 on: March 18, 2013, 02:48:18 AM
falkenjaeger

View Profile
« Reply #631 on: March 18, 2013, 02:48:18 AM »

Hey Marco,

Take a look at: http://www.ibycus.com/ibycustopo/ and http://www.tiredofit.ca/2010/05/30/free-canada-topographical-maps-gps/ . There is a big 3 gig file you can download, and the second site has links to instructions for torrent download method.

See ya in Banff!

Glen

I have already downloaded the CAN file. However, this map includes ALL of CAN. Due to lack of time I haven't figured out how to cut this map down to the size and format you actually need along the route (as I hope I won't get lost in Newfoundlad) and get it on my Garmin 62s. I use Basecamp. Thanks for any helpful comments or links with how to's.
Mirko

Arriva Mexico!

Topic Name: Tour Divide 2013 Reply #632 on: March 18, 2013, 05:03:24 AM
marco_n

View Profile WWW
« Reply #632 on: March 18, 2013, 05:03:24 AM »

Hi Marco,

do you have a link to the map Download? Thanks in advance!

Greetings

M-M

http://www.miscjunk.org/

all the topo maps of montana, wyoming, colorado and new mexico feel perfect!
viewed on base camp and added the official gpx track of GTD, it work's!
now i search the CAN part...

Topic Name: Tour Divide 2013 Reply #633 on: March 18, 2013, 07:34:28 AM
chainagent

View Profile WWW
« Reply #633 on: March 18, 2013, 07:34:28 AM »

Hello guys!

In the meantime I've compared every inch of the gps track with the available mapsets and Google Earth. As I stated in another post before the accuracy for some states leaves something to be desired.

Here my list of the best available free maps that I've found so far in the www:

Canada (AB & BC): Ibycus Topo 40 - Source: via torrent download - Accuracy: poor
Montana: Montana Topo & Public Land 2012.2 Yogamaps - Source: www.gpsfiledepot.com - Accuracy: fair
Idaho: Idaho Topo Map (2008) - Source: www.gpsfiledepot.com - Accuracy: poor up to fair
Wyoming: Wyoming Topo 2011 Map - Source: www.gpsfiledepot.com - Accuracy: fair
Colorado: Colorado Topo 2011 - Source: www.gpsfiledepot.com - Accuracy: good
New Mexico: New Mexico Topo (2011) - Source: www.gpsfiledepot.com - Accuracy: fair up to good

If anybody found a better selection, please let me know.

@Mirko: To split the Ibycus Map use the MapInstall that comes along with Basecamp. Here you can choose just that tiles you really need.

Michael

My Tour Divide 2013 Blog: http://mgtd2013.blogspot.de/

Topic Name: Tour Divide 2013 Reply #634 on: March 18, 2013, 07:29:45 PM
Veetack

View Profile WWW
« Reply #634 on: March 18, 2013, 07:29:45 PM »

Doesn't the ACA have the GPX files readily available on their page? Isn't that what this is? https://www.adventurecycling.org/routes/gps2.cfm

May your mileage always be higher than your post count.

blog: veloadventurer.blogspot.com

Topic Name: Tour Divide 2013 Reply #635 on: March 19, 2013, 01:07:07 AM
Adam Alphabet

View Profile
« Reply #635 on: March 19, 2013, 01:07:07 AM »

This question maybe out of place here but I didn't know where else it made sense to ask and I didn't want to start a new thread for a simple thread link question.

A while ago (couple years??) I remember reading a (rather heated) thread on the changing face of divide racing; the risk of the growth of the GD to unsustainable numbers, opinions on the purity of the event, tourists vs. racers, romanticism of the divide, etc......

Can someone point me in the direction of that thread again?
Thanks in advance.

@adamalphabet

Topic Name: Tour Divide 2013 Reply #636 on: March 19, 2013, 01:21:29 AM
THE LONG RANGER

Hi-Ho, Single-Speed, AWAY!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #636 on: March 19, 2013, 01:21:29 AM »

A while ago (couple years??) I remember reading a (rather heated) thread on the changing face of divide racing; the risk of the growth of the GD to unsustainable numbers, opinions on the purity of the event, tourists vs. racers, romanticism of the divide, etc......

Maybe this one?

http://www.bikepacking.net/forum/index.php/topic,2019.msg18374.html

(also do a search for "cell phones" in general)

I think JayP's Reality Check isn't a bad one to mull over. Everything else is probably just unneeded politics. Ride the bike, you know?
« Last Edit: March 19, 2013, 01:25:49 AM by THE LONG RANGER » Logged

Topic Name: Tour Divide 2013 Reply #637 on: March 19, 2013, 05:47:16 AM
sthig

View Profile WWW
« Reply #637 on: March 19, 2013, 05:47:16 AM »

Will be my rookie year to do the divide.  I'll unashamedly admit I'm doing it because I saw the movie (at first, now it's a whole different ballgame)

to answer his 2011 questions:

- Are you reasonable with the expectations of yourself to put down a fast time? I train between 250-400 (and soon that'll be 500-800) miles a week. I hope to be somewhat competitive, even on a singlespeed.

- Is this your first bikepacking trip? It is not.

- Are you lining up to be a "me too" person? Wrong reason, especially if you don't make the cutoffs. It has to be a passion. - no, it's a passion.

- Would you do this on your own as a time trial? Yep. I'd honestly like to make it in under 20 days.

- Do you have plans or hopes to ride with someone? I like riding alone.  I like riding with people too - I just get really chatty and forget to focus.

- Do you study everyone elses kits and systems or did you learn for yourself and what works for you? Yes. I've done both.

The Tour Divide changed my life (literally) and I've not even ridden it.  The two years of training and working for it has been an awesome journey, I honestly think the race is just the "last 3 weeks" sometimes.  Kinda will be sad when it's over with.

My book on the 2013 Tour Divide|http://www.amazon.com/Trail-Magic-Art-Soft-Pedaling-ebook/dp/B00NJQZ6GK

Topic Name: Tour Divide 2013 Reply #638 on: March 19, 2013, 10:40:24 AM
stappy

View Profile
« Reply #638 on: March 19, 2013, 10:40:24 AM »

Don't take anything anyone says about your TD too seriously. You're the only one that matters.
I like some things Jay P says and strongly disagree with others but that's OK.
For my part, I'm 100% bike racer, 0% adventure racer. I unapologetically tried to turn my TD into a bike race, which I feel it is anyway. I somewhat planned to ride with others before I started. Anyone plus or minus 2% of my pace I would ride with. As a near rookie, I felt the advantages of sticking together would be an asset. Of course, we didn't start to "wait" for each other until maybe day 3, after we had eliminated most of the group and established our commonality.

Topic Name: Tour Divide 2013 Reply #639 on: March 20, 2013, 02:02:20 AM
Adam Alphabet

View Profile
« Reply #639 on: March 20, 2013, 02:02:20 AM »

That's the one. Thanks Justin.

@adamalphabet
  Pages: 1 ... 30 31 [32] 33 34 ... 63
Reply New Topic New Poll
Jump to: