Pages: 1 2 [3]
Reply Reply New Topic New Poll
  Topic Name: Tour de los Padres 2020 Reply #40 on: March 17, 2020, 09:34:32 PM
plaz

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: March 17, 2020, 09:34:32 PM »

Hi guys, I'm new to Los Padres. What is the bear situation, in particular, what do people do to protect the food (etc) being carried? I get the feeling that bear hangs are not feasible everywhere. I'm planning to do the proper route and take my time, like 5+ days.

Topic Name: Tour de los Padres 2020 Reply #41 on: March 17, 2020, 10:01:31 PM
ec_duz_it

View Profile WWW
« Reply #41 on: March 17, 2020, 10:01:31 PM »

There are black bears near big pine mountain and near Reyes peak. Jeff K. Said he saw a bear near big pine 3 years ago. A bear box or hanging food is overkill in the los padres. Bears stay clear away from people, mainly because it is legal to hunt them at certain times of year.

On another note, we got a real winter storm yesterday. It even snowed at the top of Santa Barbara last night on la Cumbre peak at a meager elevation of 3500?.  It?s too early to say how conditions on April 3rd will be, but it looks like another storm is coming this Monday. If that storm brings even more snow, April 3rd might not be feasible.

Photo below from SulkyJunior taken this morning.

* 78064CD2-1B72-44F3-9047-87B1F356B92E.jpeg (401.09 KB, 739x611 - viewed 822 times.)

Topic Name: Tour de los Padres 2020 Reply #42 on: March 19, 2020, 02:19:54 PM
hellvetica

View Profile WWW
« Reply #42 on: March 19, 2020, 02:19:54 PM »

Safe to assume this is not happening (covid and winter storms)?

Topic Name: Tour de los Padres 2020 Reply #43 on: March 19, 2020, 04:07:47 PM
ec_duz_it

View Profile WWW
« Reply #43 on: March 19, 2020, 04:07:47 PM »

Not postponed or canceled (not yet at least). 

Weather-wise, it looks like more snow on Sunday/Monday.  If warmer weather prevails after that, snow conditions might be doable by April 3rd, but it will be a close call.  I have seen a foot of snow melt fast this time of year in past years when it snows, then warms up. FYI, this webcam shows current conditions in the town of Pine Mountain Club. Pretty snowy as of today.  http://www.frazmtn.com/mount_abel_cam/

As for COVID-19.  Restaurants are currently only open for take out or delivery.  Stores are all still open, and stores will likely stay open, as they are essential services.  So I don't think resupply points will be an issue.  Here is where I am at:

1) If weather/snow conditions do not improve, then the route will not be rideable.  Suggested postponement date would be Friday, April 17th. 

2) If there is a "shelter in place" order issued, then TDLP will be postponed under the order is lifted.

3) If there is an order for "no gatherings" then perhaps an "ITT only" format for this year would be the best way to go.  It would be pretty lame not to start as a group, but this format might be appropriate given the current situation.

4) Despite all of this, a big ride on the bike in the backcountry might be the safest place one could be right now.  The resupply points would be the only possible place one could come in contact with COVID-19, and they are by no means heavily populated areas. 

I would really appreciate opinions from anyone who was planning on riding.  There are no wrong opinions, and COVID-19 has to be taken very seriously.  None of us could have predicted what has happened over the last two weeks, so we are in uncharted territory.

Topic Name: Tour de los Padres 2020 Reply #44 on: March 19, 2020, 07:34:37 PM
greggd

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: March 19, 2020, 07:34:37 PM »

Well... Looks like it was decided for us. Shelter in place issued for all of California. Stay safe out there people - crazy times.

Topic Name: Tour de los Padres 2020 Reply #45 on: March 19, 2020, 08:39:39 PM
Julie K.

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: March 19, 2020, 08:39:39 PM »

We could all pull a Lael and ride to the start from home. 🤪
I have all this fitness and nowhere to spend it. I guess one could have worse problems.

Topic Name: Tour de los Padres 2020 Reply #46 on: March 20, 2020, 09:03:16 AM
hellvetica

View Profile WWW
« Reply #46 on: March 20, 2020, 09:03:16 AM »

Postponing sounds like a better choice at this point IMO. Personally, I won't make the start if you decide to keep the wheels rolling, would ITT it later when this blows over.

Topic Name: Tour de los Padres 2020 Reply #47 on: March 20, 2020, 11:16:09 AM
evdog

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: March 20, 2020, 11:16:09 AM »

The issue isn't so much a rider coming into contact with Covid-19 at a re-supply point, it is that a rider who is carrying the virus unknowingly as symptoms haven't presented yet, could pass it on to others at a resupply point in a small community that has limited availability to medical services.

Otherwise I'd agree a ride like this should be of little issue.  This could be mitigated by carrying all food/supplies needed to complete the route.  Not ideal, but as many people would complete the route in 3-6 days it is not impossible. 

I'm a bit bummed as my schedule was looking like it might allow me to do an ITT starting next weekend.  But looks like snow will make that un-possible.  Can try again in April but would likely have to be an ITT weekend of the 24th.   

Topic Name: Tour de los Padres 2020 Reply #48 on: March 22, 2020, 08:02:07 AM
Ljefe00

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: March 22, 2020, 08:02:07 AM »

Huh.  So far, I have been in the -of course we are still going - nowhere safer to be! camp.  My impression is that shelter in place generally does not bar outdoor recreation activities.  For folks traveling from outside the local area though, getting here could be an issue.  Staying at Kokos would be out for the tour routers, but even in good years Kokos is risky behavior healthwise I gotta say, ha ha! 
For the resupply stores, if they are open they are open and probably getting intermittent random customers through the day, some locals some not.  I dont see fifteen riders straggling through evenly spaced throughout the day making much difference.  If getting groceries is not a safe activity then we are all screwed anyway.  I dont see a group start at the trailhead being a problem either as long as everyone keeps their space.  But having much of the group camping together at Bluff Camp the first night might not be a good idea. 
Well, what will be will be, I will try to adapt to whatever Erin and the group decide.  But Im with Julie K, it is a bummer to have gotten all dressed up for this for this with nowhere to go.
Now the snow on the other hand, that may make the decision for us.  But at least for now the weather looks like clear skies and fair temps for a week before the start date.

Topic Name: Tour de los Padres 2020 Reply #49 on: March 22, 2020, 11:36:47 AM
Julie K.

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: March 22, 2020, 11:36:47 AM »

I had a bit of a joking tone in my last post, but of course this is a serious matter. I think evdog does have a good point. Santa Clara county has the highest number of transmissions in the state, and Santa Cruz county has a similar rate of transmission per capita. Although I am feeling perfectly healthy, (a beast, in fact, haha), it's not worth it to bring myself into another area, using the lodging (pre and post ride) and other services there given that we can carry it without symptoms. Not to mention - non-essential travel and gatherings of more than 10 - is technically a misdemeanor.

I know the bike calendar is getting quite thick in the fall now, with all of the rescheduling, but perhaps that might be a good window for a grand depart? I know some Stagecoach ITT'ers go in the fall, but seems like water could be an issue.

I think you locals are lucky - you should just make a go of it!
« Last Edit: March 22, 2020, 12:03:02 PM by Julie K. » Logged

Topic Name: Tour de los Padres 2020 Reply #50 on: March 22, 2020, 12:15:31 PM
plaz

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: March 22, 2020, 12:15:31 PM »

Once the trail conditions are OK, I'm hoping to do it as an independent time trial, starting on a day of my choosing. I'd bring all of my food so I don't need to resupply. I'd drive to the trail head from home (a couple of hours), and park there. When finished, I'd drive home. Hopefully I wouldn't have to bike into Santa Barbara and then back up to the trailhead on the last day in order to be considered a finisher, but it's OK if I have to do that.
What could go wrong? I know, a lot could go wrong. That's why I'm posting, so that you all can point out my dumb ideas.

Topic Name: Tour de los Padres 2020 Reply #51 on: March 23, 2020, 10:01:38 AM
ec_duz_it

View Profile WWW
« Reply #51 on: March 23, 2020, 10:01:38 AM »

Happy Monday everyone, thank you for all the helpful comments and input.

I think best course of action for this year to encourage social distancing is to make the TDLP independent time trial (ITT) only.  This means there will be no happy hour social the night before, and there will be no group start either. And sadly, there will be no hugs, high fives, or beers at the finish line. Riders can choose the date and time they feel suits them the best.  For some of you that might mean sticking to the plan and starting on April 3rd.  For others that might mean waiting until late April or May, or even waiting until the fall season.  Or for some riders that might mean not riding at all this year.  It is your choice.  The forest roads and trails in the Los Padres National Forest remain open to the public at this time.  The only Covid-19 related changes the national forest has implemented is that they are limiting public access to their office buildings and ranger stations. 

In the past, this event has been about meeting new like-minded people and making new friends, but I think unfortunately the social aspect needs to be put on hold until next year.  This year it is mainly going to be about the ride itself.

I still am planning on doing the ride myself and I plan to either start April 3, April 10 or April 17th, depending on what weekend works best for my wife and daughter.  I am going to allow 5 days for myself.  Out of caution, I plan on bringing my N95 mask, an extra pair of gloves, and some hand sanitizer to use at re-supply points.  As much as I would like to try to carry all my food, and not stop at resupply points, I know that is not realistic (for me at least). 

Tour route riders will need to contact Himalyan Taxi directly if they want a shuttle to Frazier Park.  Call Kunlay at 805-705-7577 and ask him for a flat rate price.  I am sure he could use the business right now.  Or get dropped off by family. 

I strongly encourage all riders to use a SPOT this year.  If you have to bail out, keep in mind it will be very difficult to hitchhike due to Covid-19.  So if you have to push your assist button on your SPOT, make sure a family member is following you and can come out to pick you up if you need to bail. 

I will post a link again here once the Trackleaders registration is up and running.

Topic Name: Tour de los Padres 2020 Reply #52 on: March 25, 2020, 03:32:48 PM
evdog

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: March 25, 2020, 03:32:48 PM »

How do you think conditions would be for this weekend, Erin?  Still too wet or snowy?   I could potentially take a couple days off, maybe 3 to do it.  Otherwise the only other chance would be late in April.  But could be getting warm by then. 

Topic Name: Tour de los Padres 2020 Reply #53 on: March 25, 2020, 04:16:07 PM
ec_duz_it

View Profile WWW
« Reply #53 on: March 25, 2020, 04:16:07 PM »

Not sure which route you are doing, but either way, I would strongly favor late April over this weekend.  I just noticed on weather.gov that snow levels are dropping to 2,500 feet over the next few days.  It is still really cold for late March.  Weird weather right now, seems like winter does not want to give up.

Last year the group left on April 26th and day #2 was the only hot day, and that hot weather was in the Carrizo Plain.  Neither route goes through the Carrizo Plain this year. It of course depends on the weather report, but I think both routes should be pleasant to ride through at least through mid May this year, and water will be plentiful thanks to all the recent storms. 

Topic Name: Tour de los Padres 2020 Reply #54 on: March 25, 2020, 08:36:40 PM
evdog

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: March 25, 2020, 08:36:40 PM »

Good to know, thanks.  Would be kind of a shotgun trip if I were to pull it off, and I can't say I'm exactly prepared.  But if the route could ride well into April I may be able to do it next month.  Can't be much worse temperature wise than AZT always is while trying to go over Mt Lemmon!  And sounded like the longest dry stretch had been shortened with the new route.  Hopefully I can make it happen, have been wanting to hit this route for a long time!

Topic Name: Tour de los Padres 2020 Reply #55 on: July 04, 2020, 09:22:44 PM
Roland Sturm

View Profile WWW
« Reply #55 on: July 04, 2020, 09:22:44 PM »

I tried out some of the new sections:
http://rolandsturm.blogspot.com/
  Pages: 1 2 [3]
Reply New Topic New Poll
Jump to: