Pages: 1 [2] 3
Reply Reply New Topic New Poll
  Topic Name: Tour de los Padres 2020 Reply #20 on: February 28, 2020, 09:01:44 AM
ec_duz_it

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: February 28, 2020, 09:01:44 AM »

It would be better to park your car in downtown SB and get a ride from there.  However, I have parked my car before at Romero Canyon Trailhead many times for overnight adventures and I have never had any issues. 

As things get closer, I'll try and coordinate some carpool rides to the start from downtown SB so that not too many cars need to be parked at the trailhead.

Topic Name: Tour de los Padres 2020 Reply #21 on: February 28, 2020, 01:10:12 PM
Braden

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 28, 2020, 01:10:12 PM »

Braden here from Cayucos, CA.  I'm in!  However I might need to start a few days early and try to keep the crazy anti-sleepers from catching me!  Its spring break for my boys and I want to make sure I'm available to spend time with them.  Maybe, I'll be done in time to catch you guys for a beer the night before you depart, It would be nice to meet a few of you!  Thanks to the route organizer!  I used to spend a lot of nights backpacking some of this area and I look forward to seeing it on bike.  I rode the CDT 15 years ago, SE Asia 12 years ago, West coast North to Portland 11 years ago....all pulling a B.O.B. trailer.  2 kids, 50 pounds, and a small business later, I'm trying to get back into it.  I recently had my Wahoo freeze on me up above Moss Landing while trying to do a quick SF Peninsula Traverse route and therefore fell short.  I have no confidence in the Wahoo, and am considering getting something new, any recommendations?  What about just trying to use the 'Ride with GPS' ap?  I'll rent a tracker, and I'll try to figure out a cool cause to ride for, keep you posted.  Thanks again and I'll do my best not to get caught!!!  -Braden

Topic Name: Tour de los Padres 2020 Reply #22 on: February 28, 2020, 07:41:11 PM
ec_duz_it

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: February 28, 2020, 07:41:11 PM »

I love your back story ;)I went to Cal Poly and I always enjoyed heading out to Cuyucos to go surf. It might be the most mellow beach town in all of California.

My Garmin Etrex 20 has lasted me at least 10 years now. It?s been very realiable in cold weather too. The ridewithgps app works very well on my phone as a back up gps.  It is 5 bucks a month. A lots of people like Gaia gps too. I think that app is a one time purchase.

Topic Name: Tour de los Padres 2020 Reply #23 on: March 03, 2020, 09:30:01 AM
Julie K.

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 03, 2020, 09:30:01 AM »

Hey Braden,

In my experience, (did a Stagecoach 400 ride and discovered I had a mangled gpx file on the garmin about 80 miles in)... it's a good idea to have the route on both devices so that you have a backup. I would use a computer first and if it freezes up, then switch to your phone. Browse the Wahoo forums to see why it freezes up, and if there is anything you can do to revive it or prevent it from freezing. Keeping a route open on a phone and checking it  sucks a lot more battery power than the cycling computer. So you will also need a big battery bank, or two. (Unless you have a dynamo hub or something like it). This can weigh a pound or more. Also with a phone, unless you have a mount for it on your bars it is hard to look at while riding. You'll have to stop every so often to check where you are, or risk going off course... like I did several times haha...

So, TLDR - a head unit (Garmin, Wahoo, whatever) is ideal - phone is a good backup! Bring a spare battery bank or two. thumbsup

Topic Name: Tour de los Padres 2020 Reply #24 on: March 03, 2020, 09:52:08 AM
Julie K.

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 03, 2020, 09:52:08 AM »

I think I just have 2 more things, and then I can stop spamming the forum here, haha...

I have been doing a fundraiser for my TdLP ITT for a local organization (Corralitos) called Mountains 2 Sea - (https://www.mightycause.com/story/Mtns2sea). They work with underserved youth doing outdoor programs and environmental rehab projects. It felt like a good thing to extend the privilege that we have to others who might not get the chance otherwise. My friends/coworkers have been beyond generous and it's raised $1375 so far. These routes/adventures can often times feel a bit disconnected from the greater picture, so thanks for that suggestion Erin!

My other question is - I have to do this as an ITT a little early (originally planning 3/20, but may switch to 3/27), since my Mom and 2 aunts from Arizona and Maryland are visiting me the weekend of the grand depart, and it will be good to be in recovery mode then. Will it be possible to sign up for Trackleaders early? Cheesy I can definitely be a route guinea pig and report on conditions to you guys.

Looking forward to this wild and crazy route! And maybe some peak bagging, but we'll see.

« Last Edit: March 03, 2020, 10:02:16 AM by Julie K. » Logged

Topic Name: Tour de los Padres 2020 Reply #25 on: March 03, 2020, 11:26:30 AM
ec_duz_it

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: March 03, 2020, 11:26:30 AM »

That is awesome you are riding for a cause, nice work! 

Yes I will get the Trackleaders registration and map up for your March 27th ITT by March 24th.  If your date changes, let me know.

FYI- We just got a small winter storm that came through, and it looks like more wet weather is on tap for next week.  If this route gets more than a quarter of an inch of rain or so, there are sections that will be too muddy to ride. And if we get more than a foot of snow up high, same deal.  If we have bad luck for some reason and it rains hard on or around April 3rd, then the logical make up date would be April 17th, since April 12th is Easter Sunday.  So keep April 17th weekend open if you can.  I don't want to postpone the April 3 date, but mother nature will make the decision.  Last year was the first time ever we had to postpone due to bad weather.

Topic Name: Tour de los Padres 2020 Reply #26 on: March 04, 2020, 07:51:52 AM
Julie K.

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 04, 2020, 07:51:52 AM »

OK, I will plan for the 27th then. If for some reason that gets rained out as well, then it's mid-Apr. There is even a very slight chance I'll get to join you guys after all. Smiley

Topic Name: Tour de los Padres 2020 Reply #27 on: March 06, 2020, 02:20:19 PM
fgravity

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 06, 2020, 02:20:19 PM »

Hey EC!

I'm new to Santa Barbara and to bikepacking. Found your rad ride through bikepacking.com. I'm still getting my kit together and miles in the legs, so might join just for the trip out to New Cayuma and then get a retrieve home this year. Regardless would be rad to possibly connect possibly in person. I'm in San Roque near Stevens Park.

-Sky

Topic Name: Tour de los Padres 2020 Reply #28 on: March 06, 2020, 04:34:22 PM
Ljefe00

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 06, 2020, 04:34:22 PM »

“Speaking of summits, the new route will provide the opportunity for any peak baggers to summit the highest peaks in all 3 counties. Big Pine Mountain(SB county), Mt Pinos (Kern county) and Reyes Peak(Ventura county). Anyone that wishes to take on this challenge will get a 7 hour time bonus.”

Hey Erin - I’m all in on the loop route this year!  Where are you getting your summit info?  According to what I can find ... Big Pine Mtn, check.  Mt Pinos is highest peak in Ventura County though, not Kern.  The highest point in Kern County is nearby Sawtooth Mountain.  Reyes is listed as the third highest peak in Ventura County.  But far be it for me to split hairs - You give me some miserable add-on to an already insane Type II fun route, of course I’m gonna be all over it!

-Jeff

Topic Name: Tour de los Padres 2020 Reply #29 on: March 08, 2020, 09:48:54 AM
ec_duz_it

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: March 08, 2020, 09:48:54 AM »

The Kern/Ventura county line goes right through the summit of mt Pinos so you can count it for Kern or Ventura county. I guess the summit of Frazier mountain is actually the highest peak in Ventura county, so I goofed on that.

Topic Name: Tour de los Padres 2020 Reply #30 on: March 08, 2020, 09:54:52 AM
greggd

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: March 08, 2020, 09:54:52 AM »

Erin, will you add the peaks to the GPX?

Topic Name: Tour de los Padres 2020 Reply #31 on: March 08, 2020, 10:48:33 AM
AndrewI

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 08, 2020, 10:48:33 AM »

Hey all!

I'm planning on doing the tour route this year. It's my first time doing one of these by myself so figured I'd start out small. I noticed a couple of people were doing it as well and wondered if there were any details yet on a meetup for shuttling.

Topic Name: Tour de los Padres 2020 Reply #32 on: March 08, 2020, 11:28:16 AM
ec_duz_it

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: March 08, 2020, 11:28:16 AM »

Yes, I have GPX tracks for the 3 summits.  Will upload them to the website soon.

Thanks for bringing this up Andrew.  Of the Tour Route riders, who needs a shuttle ride from SB to Frazier Park?

Topic Name: Tour de los Padres 2020 Reply #33 on: March 09, 2020, 01:47:07 PM
sulkyjunior

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 09, 2020, 01:47:07 PM »

Erin,
You've never let us down with the shuttles in the past, thank you for coordinating those! I know I'm in for 1, my friend Matt for 2. It sounds like AndrewI and fgravity would also be in for a shuttle?
The Pinos downhill through the snow is always a fun one - looking forward to this route. Even the "short" route is not for the ill-prepared.
-Joe S

Topic Name: Tour de los Padres 2020 Reply #34 on: March 10, 2020, 10:48:12 AM
AndrewI

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 10, 2020, 10:48:12 AM »

Yep! I'm in need of a shuttle. Would we be staying in SB or Frazier the night before? Trying to figure out lodging as well.

Thank you!

Topic Name: Tour de los Padres 2020 Reply #35 on: March 10, 2020, 07:08:14 PM
Roland Sturm

View Profile WWW
« Reply #35 on: March 10, 2020, 07:08:14 PM »

New route !!! Looking forward to new trails and even better if it makes resupply/water. The 24 hours between the Temblor Range ups and down and Chokecherry have always been a bit too hot and thirsty for me. 

Topic Name: Tour de los Padres 2020 Reply #36 on: March 10, 2020, 10:03:24 PM
sulkyjunior

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 10, 2020, 10:03:24 PM »

Andrew, we would be staying the night at Kokos motel in FP. Start historically has been 08:00 so I see no reason to change that, Erin allowing. icon_salut

Topic Name: Tour de los Padres 2020 Reply #37 on: March 10, 2020, 10:17:18 PM
greggd

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 10, 2020, 10:17:18 PM »

You guys DO NOT want to miss out on Koko?s. Pro tip. Try to negotiate the price by having cash readily available. Do not be alarmed if the proprietor is asleep on the bed behind the desk the ?lobby?. This is simply a part of the Koko experience.

Topic Name: Tour de los Padres 2020 Reply #38 on: March 12, 2020, 08:36:07 PM
ec_duz_it

View Profile WWW
« Reply #38 on: March 12, 2020, 08:36:07 PM »

Lol. Yes mr Koko loves to sleep behind the front desk. You might be able to just grab a key and get a free room if you are crafty enough icon_biggrin

Tour route shuttle will leave at 3 pm from Sb train station the day before. And tour riders will get to sleep in, and start at the sane hour of 8 am.

Proper riders will depart at sunrise at 6:30. Getting to Bluff camp by night 1 will be an accomplishment.

Should we even do a happy hour social this year? Maybe we should just show up at the start and promise to ride 10 feet apart from each other.  BangHead

Topic Name: Tour de los Padres 2020 Reply #39 on: March 16, 2020, 05:30:32 PM
Julie K.

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 16, 2020, 05:30:32 PM »

Hope you all are holding up well in the current situation. Santa Cruz County just issued a shelter in place order until April 7th, so I guess technically I shouldn't be driving down to do a big ride, even though up until a few hours ago I had no idea this would be the case. Things could change rapidly over the next two weeks. I guess we'll see what happens! Take care all.
  Pages: 1 [2] 3
Reply New Topic New Poll
Jump to: