Pages: [1]
Reply Reply New Topic New Poll
  Topic Name: Spring vs. Fall Tour Divide on: September 30, 2011, 08:16:16 AM
JayP

View Profile
« on: September 30, 2011, 08:16:16 AM »

Here are some of my experiences thoughts after having ridden the Continental Divide Route in both seasons, Spring and Fall. My hope is to get people to think a little bit about when to leave and disperse cyclists on the route all season long, not just the month of June on the mass start date of the Tour Divide. I can't say I have a preference, they will just issue different experiences. And of course it is always a gamble of weighing pros and cons.

I have 3 experiences on route:
- 07' June, with the Great Divide border to border run. Bout 25 starters. Early summer year, extremely hot and dry on route. Finished in record time of 15+ days.
- 09' June, on a tandem with the Tour Divide Banff to border run. Bout 50 starters. Typical winter, snow here and there but still able to do full route. Extremely wet on course, rained a lot! Finished in 18+ days, 3rd overall.
- 11' late August start. Individual Time Trial. Banff to the border. Huge winter prior, typical summer...Think I had typical Fall weather; a fair amount of nice cool days, a fair amount of monsoon rainy evening/nights...

Things that were different that I noticed:
Weather - I personally liked the cooler fall temps. My body stayed very, very, efficient which in turn meant I did not have to carry as much water or calories. I was running 100 mile sections on 2 small water bottles and a small amount of food, that was sweet! I won't lie, I was cold a fair amount especially in the rain. I did bring my typical "summer kit" with an upgrade in a light down jacket vs. vest. The monsoons are the drawback of a fall start but your pretty much not going to have a clean run anyway and the heat in June can be equally tough and I also got rained on more in 09 in the spring then this fall. I had never worn rain pants so much in my life, partially to stay warm and partially cause it was raining.

Obviously if record is on the mind June does not always allow for this.

Trail Conditions - I found the trail to be a bit more rugged in spots in the Fall. There is more left over ruts from summer travel, a bit more washboard, and there was a fair amount of hunter, logging, and recreational traffic which means being dusted out more. Labor Day weekend was very busy on the trails also. I had seen equal amount of grading machinery and freshly graded trails per season. My mud experinces are ones I won't forget, weather it spring or fall. I will say for some reason the mud was even more like peanut butter in the fall. My reasoning for this is the ground is more firm in the spring and water runs off better. It definitly is a section per section basis evaluation, some sections mud/dirt is different then the next...

I actually found more services to be open in the Fall. I have been skunked in June with services being closed when tourism is not really rolling yet, especially in a long winter years. A lot of these small places only serve on weekends and it seems in June there stock is even less. Definitely a veterans advantage.

Day Light - Obviously it is longer in the Spring and in general most will say it is an advantage. I was takin at times when I look at my watch and it is dark at 7:30 but all it meant was you ride more in the dark. Yep, you will go through lots of batteries. I was running my lights on high so I can ride at day lights pace so I was going through almost a full battery set every night depending on the night. I did not blame this to be a disadvantage.

Wildlife - Seems I had more bear encounters in the Fall, but somewhat more friendly. Both times in the spring I had stand offs with a sal and cubs, more intense then the sneak up on 2 huge grizzlies cresting a peak in Montana this last run, OK well maybe not. Anyway it did seem as if all wildlife was a bit more visual and happy.

Water - this will depend on the year. O7' not a drop of water or creek running, no where. 09' water was abundant. 11' water was abundant. This to me does not matter I fill in towns and have never taken water off the ground during this route.

Landscape - Of course you can't go wrong no matter when you go. I can find beauty in every landscape every part of the year but my heart does weigh on the fall - lush, running water, wildlife cruising, cool evenings, a spark of fall colors...

Mass vs. ITT - Just like all these things pros and cons of both sides. I have to admit I really like the self challenge against a clock and the pure feeling of solitude. Not having the pressure or worries of others to me is a sweet thing. Somebody on course asked me if I was paying attention to the split times of Mathew's record or something like that, actually it was Morris at Salida. I looked at him and explained I like to ride/race MY race not somebody elses. On the other hand I would like to line up with about 6 folks of equal value and race this thing till our eyes bleed, that would be fun.

Record - At this point a day can easily be knocked off the current record. I have always said if I have another go where all things aligned like in 07' the whole route can be done in the time I did the border to border section. So, ultimately I can see a time of 15 and some hours as a solid standing record but will be very challenging to achieve.

It is going to be a great experience no matter when you ride the Divide but just really evaluate your goals, expectations, and realities and then be ready to change those as soon as you start  icon_biggrin.

I will answer any reasonable questions, otherwise go out and get the experience its there waiting for you all year long!

Topic Name: Spring vs. Fall Tour Divide Reply #1 on: September 30, 2011, 05:27:48 PM
sherpaxc

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2011, 05:27:48 PM »

I would say 3 guys did race this year until their eyes bled.  2 Guys raced so hard it made me bleed! headbang

Topic Name: Spring vs. Fall Tour Divide Reply #2 on: October 31, 2011, 12:59:15 PM
mmeiser

Less Stuff. More Freedom!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2011, 12:59:15 PM »

sweet!  Thanks for the notes JayP. Exactly the sort of analysis I was hoping for.

Topic Name: Spring vs. Fall Tour Divide Reply #3 on: November 01, 2011, 03:46:49 PM
Area45

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2011, 03:46:49 PM »

Tons of experience in this post. Thanks for sharing JayP.
  Pages: [1]
Reply New Topic New Poll
Jump to: