Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15]
Reply Reply New Topic New Poll
  Topic Name: The Spirit of the Tour Divide Reply #280 on: August 23, 2016, 11:29:37 AM
bon

View Profile
« Reply #280 on: August 23, 2016, 11:29:37 AM »

Yeah nobody should get any grief about being 1.5x over the record, It's well known that top riders are incredibly talented/committed. Anybody that attempts the route should be encouraged and cheered, even finishing over 30 days if you gave it your all, pushed it to the max, it's a hell of an achievement.
!!
In terms of cut off times.  If you race your heart out and abide by the few rules of the race no matter how fast or slow you are you have accomplished something amazing.  We often place a lot of emphasis on speed and records.  Those that have toured the Great Divide are just as awesome as those that have raced the Tour Divide.  Yes, the spotlight often falls on the fast folks and touring the Divide is often not thought of as being as "sexy" as racing the Divide.  For me, I'm envious of those out there touring the route, able to take the time to fully immerse themselves in the experience.  Personally I never set out to race the Divide for the spotlight.  It was about a personal challenge.  I think this is why almost all of us are out there.  Our bikepacking community is one that I am proud to be a part of.  We are all just misfits out doing something fun.  No matter how fast or slow you go down the Divide we will all be cheering.

There are many people out there, giving it their all - fighting to finish, efforts so great that most of us couldn't hold it for a week, much less for 25 days or more. I love to watch the top racers – Josh, Mike and so many others. You all inspire me! But I have a huge passion for those in the back- the people who may not be talented, come in disabled somehow, but give it so much fight that you can nearly hear their weighted breath inhaling and exhaling between their gritted teeth. Their brows are furrowed down, sweat dripping over their eyes and stinging on contact. They know they are in the back. Not a day goes by that they don't know they are slipping slightly further away from the leaders. But that's not why they're out there. That's now what they came for. We came to take on this monumental challenge in order to give our all to something we love; to grow in strength, fortitude and determination; to encourage others who may look up to us like our kids or even just ourselves. We know we aren't going to finish fast or break any records. But we also know that if you truly believe in yourself, if you truly commit to your purpose and solidify your resolve, you can finish the Tour Divide. And then, when you least expect it, you learn some of the most valuable things life has to offer and you become bigger than you ever were. For all of these things I am humbled and grateful. I hope to see you all out on the course next year.

No one is useless in this world who lightens the burdens of another. ― Charles Dickens
  Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15]
Reply New Topic New Poll
Jump to: