Pages: [1] 2
Reply Reply New Topic New Poll
  Topic Name: The Munga is cancelled on: October 14, 2014, 02:59:58 AM
hikernks

Got Gravel?

View Profile WWW
« on: October 14, 2014, 02:59:58 AM »

Looks like The Munga won't be happening this year.  I bet there's a lot of pissed off people, especially as close to race day as it is.

https://themunga.com/article/6

Here's a little more in-depth article:

http://www.thehubsa.co.za/features/_/news/mtb/international-mtb/the-munga-postponed-world’s-toughest-race-faces-a-tough-challenge-r1714

"Man's proper estate is an upright posture, an intransigent mind, and a step that travels unlimited roads." - Ayn Rand, Atlas Shrugged.

http://dingo41.wordpress.com

Topic Name: The Munga is cancelled Reply #1 on: October 14, 2014, 02:40:47 PM
THE LONG RANGER

Hi-Ho, Single-Speed, AWAY!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2014, 02:40:47 PM »

Looks like some pros will test their fitness at the ATZR/CTR:

http://velonews.competitor.com/2014/10/news/million-dollar-african-mountain-bike-race-postponed_349524

“Bike-packing and expedition racing are popular now, so I think this event just builds on that interest,” said (Jerimiah) Bishop. “I’d love to make a go at the Arizona Trail Race record or Colorado Trail now that I know I can do this type of thing.”

Topic Name: The Munga is cancelled Reply #2 on: October 19, 2014, 07:51:25 PM
joeydurango

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2014, 07:51:25 PM »

Sure hope JB was misquoted somehow.  "...now that I know I can do this type of thing."  Now that there's potentially a huge purse, or now that he's done some race that the article doesn't mention, or...?

As a former World Cup wrench who's worked with a lot of the top XC-type MTB pros, I'd love to see how they hold up in a true multi-day, self-supported race on CT/AZT terrain.  Not even saying that somewhat sarcastically - I'm genuinely curious.  I think we'll all find out sooner rather than later...

BEDROCK BAGS - Hand crafted, rock solid, made in the USA.  Established 2012.
www.bedrockbags.com

Ever since I began riding singlespeed my life has been on a path of self-destruction.

Topic Name: The Munga is cancelled Reply #3 on: October 20, 2014, 11:44:13 AM
ScottM
bikepacking.net admin

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2014, 11:44:13 AM »

We tracked JB recently on the, "Douthat Stokesville Douthat", which is a route of Matthew Lee origin, I believe.

http://trackleaders.com/dsd

I believe he set a new record, but it's not really that long.  

I'm sort of surprised we haven't seen other pros show some interest in bikepacking events/races yet.  I too will be curious to see how they fare.  Presumably they should be able to clean up on all our "B" string riders, if they stay at it and learn enough.

Author of TopoFusion GPS software.  Co-founder of trackleaders.com - SPOT event tracking.

Topic Name: The Munga is cancelled Reply #4 on: October 20, 2014, 01:36:04 PM
joeydurango

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2014, 01:36:04 PM »

No offense to any of my ex-"clients" and friends who may be reading this, but I think the ability to train for and go really fast for 2-3 hours (or even 24 hours) in a supported race situation is a completely different beast from bikepack racing.  Once again, that's not coming from a bravado, chest-thumping standpoint at all.  But I remember a lot of days standing in various international parking lots, race-prepping bikes while the pros made sure to "not stand when they could sit, not sit when they could lie down" - and that sort of careful prep, pushing your body to the absolute pinnacle of find-tuned-ness, just doesn't compute in our world.  Sure, make certain you're rested and prepped as much as possible before the start of anything - but it's what your mind and body do at 3am, in the freezing rain, after several days of pushing yourself to the limit, that decides how bikepacking races go.  And I'm not convinced that being at the international level of XC racing really has anything to do with those types of situations.  Could be wrong, though - so let's see it, peeps!  Inquiring minds want to know!

www.bedrockbags.com

Ever since I began riding singlespeed my life has been on a path of self-destruction.

Topic Name: The Munga is cancelled Reply #5 on: October 20, 2014, 02:04:38 PM
THE LONG RANGER

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2014, 02:04:38 PM »

Grit, man - ya need grit. That seems to be something that's complementary to fitness and bike handling skills, but maybe not. I'm sure some pros have this, but maybe it's not in a larger percentage than in the general population.

Something even like the AZTR or the CTR could reek havoc on a pro's already aggressive race schedule. I've always thought that's the reason why you don't see as many pros on multi-day, self-supported type stuff. Make a sweet purse (like this race) and all of a sudden things change, fast. I was looking forward to seeing how Kurt/Jay P happen to do against you know: Olympians.

It could also just be personality thing. I wouldn't be able to hang in anything over a Cat 3 race in any cycling discipline (never will, too), but I'm not sure if I've ever wanted to. I sure do look at the mountains over yonder and dream up silly things to do in them, though. If it means bivvying once or twice at some terrible location, I mean, hey, half the fun! I'm sure some of you are nodding in agreement, and some others are grimacing at the very idea.

Topic Name: The Munga is cancelled Reply #6 on: October 20, 2014, 04:01:24 PM
ScottM
bikepacking.net admin

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2014, 04:01:24 PM »

I think JB may be underestimating the recovery needed from AZT or CTR, but perhaps he isn't going to race XC at the same time, or to the same level.  I never expected any pro to jump in while still pursuing their career, but many pros retire, or get bored and need to redefine themselves.  Or just need a new challenge.

It's kind of sad that obscene prize money might be what it takes to make it interesting enough.  You'd think some would just, you know, enjoy riding enough to have their interest piqued.  To me bikepacking always seemed like part of a natural evolution to longer and longer rides.

You gotta have grit, and no doubt some would have all fitness and no mental game -- they'd crumble.  But I bet there are many that could apply themselves, study/plan and not stop until they succeed.  It might take prize money to make that happen, I guess.

I think much of the mental part (the unknown of can it be done, and on such little sleep) is gone from races like AZT and CTR.  Once you see someone else do it, it's a lot easier to believe you can.  It may soon come down to pure fitness to really push records down.

As for the Munga, I'm not that disappointed.  The word on the street was winning times of ~60 hrs, and a *very* non-technical course.  I am not sure our heroes would have stood much chance vs big motors.  But, even that I suppose would have been interesting to watch.

Author of TopoFusion GPS software.  Co-founder of trackleaders.com - SPOT event tracking.

Topic Name: The Munga is cancelled Reply #7 on: October 20, 2014, 08:12:37 PM
JRA

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2014, 08:12:37 PM »

I wouldn't underestimate the grit of at least some pro cyclists.  Particularly some of those who compete in the grand tours.

This dude for instance:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adam_Hansen
« Last Edit: October 20, 2014, 08:32:13 PM by JRA » Logged

I don't know what the question is - but the answer is: Lubrication!

Topic Name: The Munga is cancelled Reply #8 on: October 20, 2014, 08:53:10 PM
Eszter

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2014, 08:53:10 PM »

It's interesting to think how "grit" could be affected by prize money. If there were a million dollars on the line, how much harder could/would people push? Yeah, rain sucks, mud sucks, blister suck, saddle sores suck, but a million dollars doesn't suck. It'd be a lot easier to put up with BS with a carrot like that.

We seem to get off on pushing our limits it for shits and giggles, but how much farther could we push if there was some sort of huge reward, aside from bragging rights.

I wanted to watch just to see what would happen. 

Topic Name: The Munga is cancelled Reply #9 on: October 21, 2014, 01:21:17 AM
HughieP

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2014, 01:21:17 AM »

I wouldn't underestimate the grit of at least some pro cyclists.  Particularly some of those who compete in the grand tours.

This dude for instance:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adam_Hansen

Yeah I would think a Jens Voight / Cadel Evans pairing would have done alright Mungaring it up. Cadel has a seriously good MTB background and Jens knows how to dig deep when it really hurts which was probably one of Cadel's big strengths as well.

Whilst I really like the idea of these guys competing and competing with them, I suspect they have very little to prove on the bicycle and will enjoy a retirement that involves enjoying the bike riding they do rather than the hyper competitive cycling they have been doing.

Topic Name: The Munga is cancelled Reply #10 on: October 21, 2014, 07:27:52 AM
joeydurango

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: October 21, 2014, 07:27:52 AM »

I could be totally wrong, and there are certainly many exceptions I can think of to this general statement, but a lot of the pro XC cyclists I've known can be pretty prima donna.  If something doesn't go exactly right, they feel the race is over, and they rely HEAVILY on team support.  "Grit", if that's what we're calling it, doesn't exactly bring to mind most pros I've worked with.  Not saying they're not fast, or excellent athletes.  Just that fast, or even athleticism, doesn't matter as much here as it does in their current race world.

In keeping with the curiousity I'm putting out there, I'm also really curious about how the lines of "self-support" may or may not get blurred if a certain type of bicycle racer gets involved in our scene.

Finally, as I've said before, I will rue the day bikepack racing becomes about cash prizes and not about "pushing our limits for shits and giggles", as Eszter said.

I'll stop beating this dead horse now... sorry.  Wink
« Last Edit: October 21, 2014, 07:33:04 AM by joeydurango » Logged

www.bedrockbags.com

Topic Name: The Munga is cancelled Reply #11 on: October 21, 2014, 08:59:31 AM
CorvusStrang

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 21, 2014, 08:59:31 AM »

I agree joeydurango, I'm not excited about the changes that could come to the bike packing world once cash prizes start ratcheting up.  That said, I'm very sympathetic with guys like JP needing to earn a living.

But I guess, regardless of what happens in the "race" scene, most of us will still do it for "shits and giggles".

Topic Name: The Munga is cancelled Reply #12 on: October 21, 2014, 09:45:01 AM
Adam Alphabet

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 21, 2014, 09:45:01 AM »

At present I can't really see bike pack racing becoming a big draw for prize money and cash outside of one off events like this. There are too many legalities and liability issues to have people riding their bikes through the mountains for 'daze' on end without sleeping etc.. It may bring a certain group to the start line if it starts happening but I doubt the same people would be interested in riding 500 miles once or twice per season (recovery pending) if they can make the same or more money riding 50 miles (or less) a week all over the world with support for a full season. It's too hard, too all encompassing and too fringe for most.

Those races would degrade to adventure racing status, with mandatory gear lists and stages and whatever else that kooky sport is all about. Contrived, which goes against what it's all about, no? While the true shits and giggles crowd is out riding the best single track on continent with a day rides worth of gear in homemade kits for as long as they can for days at a time.

I think also it'd be hard to 'buy' the current established courses that really are the heart of bike pack racing; AZT, CTR and the divide. Routes could be made, but true long single track efforts are harder to piece together than a repeated 6 mile loop.

Would I watch? sure. Would I be stoked on past pros challenging a 60 hour gravel grinder, meh.

@adamalphabet

Topic Name: The Munga is cancelled Reply #13 on: October 21, 2014, 09:52:03 AM
THE LONG RANGER

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: October 21, 2014, 09:52:03 AM »

It's a little curious that 1-3 day courses aren't springing up like weeds (well, excluding gravel grinders, which *are*, and I'm fine with that!), as Ladies and Dudes with jobs that can't take 3+ weeks off may still want to get out there over a long weekend in the summer. Ultra running is filled with these sorts of races, as most 100 milers can be done in a coupla days. Even unsupported things like R2R2R and Nolans 14 are attainable in a long weekend or far less.

If I can't figure out something huge to do this summer, I "fear" my summer will be filled with weekends of just putting together awesome things close by, and trying to put a good time in them Smiley

Topic Name: The Munga is cancelled Reply #14 on: October 21, 2014, 07:23:46 PM
Canbaroo

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 21, 2014, 07:23:46 PM »

Our Australian 24Hr World Champion Jason English had teamed up with Canadian Cory Wallace [Kona] for The Munga.

Like others on here I was interested to see how The Munga would unfold. Sleepless V Fastest? My reading of it was that it would have been won in close to 40 hours and there would be no sleepover. From accounts of the track it was relatively flat and fast…… toughest race in the world? …. I think not.

At the World Endurance Mountain Bike Organisation [WEMBO] 24hr Champs in 2013 here in Canberra Jason English rode 456K [283ml] and climbed 7000m [23,000ft]. WEMBO will be in Weaverville Ca next year so you can chance your arm against him if you fancy yourself. No one has finished in front of him over 24 hours for the past six years. He won WEMBO in Scotland a couple of weeks ago.

http://www.wembo.com.au/past-events/australia/about/canberra-2013

http://weaverville24.us

Cory Wallace is currently leading a very strong international field in the multi stage enduro race Crocodile Trophy here in Nth Queensland.

http://www.crocodile-trophy.com

With regard to the suggestion that prizemoney is the driver for these guys to race. The Crocodile Trophy costs $2490 for a solo entry and the Elite category winner picks up a cool $1250 so I think we can conclude they’re not in it for the money. The reference to Adam Hansen by JRA as a hard man on the European circuit is topical. Hansen came from a MTB background and in the small print on his CV you will note that he won the Crocodile Trophy in 2004 and 2005 and was the catalyst for him getting picked up for pro road racing.

For my money the real hard man on the European Tour is the Orica-Green Edge rider Svein Tuft from Langley BC Canada. This bloke was bikepacking long before any of the contemporary trail races came along.

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/02/08/sports/othersports/08cycling.html?pagewanted=all

Now there’s a man I’d like to see have a crack at the TD when he pulls back from the pro circuit.

Topic Name: The Munga is cancelled Reply #15 on: October 22, 2014, 07:59:38 AM
JRA

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 22, 2014, 07:59:38 AM »

Great story on Svein, thanks for sharing it.  I knew some of his past but not all the details in this story.  Definitely a badass - or "gritty"...
« Last Edit: October 22, 2014, 08:17:49 AM by JRA » Logged

Topic Name: The Munga is cancelled Reply #16 on: October 22, 2014, 11:12:04 AM
aarond

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 22, 2014, 11:12:04 AM »

There has been the same debate in ultra running, i.e.  whether pro marathon runners could dominate 100 milers.  Sure, not all pro runners and pro bikers have the grit to finish, but you can't be a pro to begin with unless you have true grit.  In ultra running, time has shown that many who are capable of a great marathon can also dominate the 100 milers.  To me, it is a no brainer that pretty much any pro rider who can finish a grand tour would dominate in bike packing...a lot of that would be due to doping though.

Topic Name: The Munga is cancelled Reply #17 on: October 22, 2014, 12:44:36 PM
JRA

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 22, 2014, 12:44:36 PM »

This reminds of a discussion that happened YEARS ago in Race Across America (RAMM).  A professional cyclist and TDF veteran, (Jonathan Boyer) decided he wanted to race the RAAM.  Many of the RAMM contenders questioned whether Boyer could be competitive in an ultra marathon event like the RAAM.  Boyer broke the course record and won the race that year.

Topic Name: The Munga is cancelled Reply #18 on: October 22, 2014, 01:04:19 PM
joeydurango

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: October 22, 2014, 01:04:19 PM »

What's similar about the two above examples - 100-miler running races and RAAM - is support.  Self support adds a whole new dimension, and is arguably one of the toughest things about bikepack racing.

www.bedrockbags.com

Topic Name: The Munga is cancelled Reply #19 on: October 22, 2014, 01:15:50 PM
JRA

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 22, 2014, 01:15:50 PM »

Very True Joey, they are different.  But all three require tremendous physical and mental toughness, and that's where they're similar.   
« Last Edit: October 22, 2014, 02:49:16 PM by JRA » Logged

Pages: [1] 2
Reply New Topic New Poll
Jump to: