Pages: 1 ... 39 40 [41] 42 43 ... 97
Reply Reply New Topic New Poll
  Topic Name: TD`13 Race Discussion Reply #800 on: June 23, 2013, 11:09:03 PM
Pollyhound

View Profile
« Reply #800 on: June 23, 2013, 11:09:03 PM »

Jesse and Kerrin are here. Kerrin arrived first, and I expected Jesse about 30 minutes later.

We had a major electrical storm, thunder, lightening, a little bit of moisture, Kerrin just missed it. What we think happened is that half way down Boreas Jesse had a flat, he was running tubeless and put a tube in. Coming into Como it is pretty open, he was found on the town limits dazed and confused cycling with a totally flat tire saying he was looking for a guy called Como. We sat him down, got some water and coke into him, we thought he had major concussion. He had obviously come down on his right side, knee and wrist hurt but no cuts or major abrasions.

Now he is now lucid, but it took him sometime to come around, he was insisting he was third in the race, all he rembers was the thunder and lightening.

We think he was near a lightening hit and was blown off his bike.

Wow - hope he continues to recover and glad he's in safe hands.

Topic Name: TD`13 Race Discussion Reply #801 on: June 23, 2013, 11:12:01 PM
larelsail

View Profile
« Reply #801 on: June 23, 2013, 11:12:01 PM »

Jesse and Kerrin are here. Kerrin arrived first, and I expected Jesse about 30 minutes later.

We had a major electrical storm, thunder, lightening, a little bit of moisture, Kerrin just missed it. What we think happened is that half way down Boreas Jesse had a flat, he was running tubeless and put a tube in. Coming into Como it is pretty open, he was found on the town limits dazed and confused cycling with a totally flat tire saying he was looking for a guy called Como. We sat him down, got some water and coke into him, we thought he had major concussion. He had obviously come down on his right side, knee and wrist hurt but no cuts or major abrasions.

Now he is now lucid, but it took him sometime to come around, he was insisting he was third in the race, all he rembers was the thunder and lightening.

Oh dear! With altered level of consciousness, it is probably wise to seek medical attention!

Topic Name: TD`13 Race Discussion Reply #802 on: June 23, 2013, 11:13:33 PM
larelsail

View Profile
« Reply #802 on: June 23, 2013, 11:13:33 PM »

Scratch probably....make that definitely. Best wishes to Jesse!!

Topic Name: TD`13 Race Discussion Reply #803 on: June 23, 2013, 11:22:41 PM
angry

View Profile
« Reply #803 on: June 23, 2013, 11:22:41 PM »

Whoa! Not good. Is he back on the bike? Stopping for the night? Have you been able to work out more of what happened?

Clearly he was pacing himself to stay in front of JayP's splits - I hope these alleged lightning bolts aren't enough to knock him off track!

Go Jesse!

Topic Name: TD`13 Race Discussion Reply #804 on: June 24, 2013, 01:25:39 AM
annais

View Profile
« Reply #804 on: June 24, 2013, 01:25:39 AM »

Any more news on Jesse?

Topic Name: TD`13 Race Discussion Reply #805 on: June 24, 2013, 01:26:49 AM
IV Guy

View Profile
« Reply #805 on: June 24, 2013, 01:26:49 AM »

In reply to Randomlurker's post on Hydration: Wow, you are correct! Somewhat...lol.  All of these riders could benefit from IV therapy with the day to day rigors they are putting themselves through; and if there is a stomach virus on top of that, it is crucial that these athletes do something for their Hydration levels just to keep them from ending up in the hospital. I am one of two owners of Standby Hydration Therapy out of Arizona and Eric Foster is one of my riders!! Eric is an intense individual and a top competitor; he understands the importance of hydration when it comes to performance, recovery from one endurance race, and the rehabilitation to be ready for the next (Triple Crown Prospect right??). This is why we have put in place a plan to provide therapy for Eric before every race and after every race. Oh and guess what?  Robin Schartz may understand the importance of being hydrated going into an Ultra race such as this too... Standby Hydration Therapy and The IV Guys stand behind both of these top level athletes and plan on seeing them in Antelope Wells!!  I congratulate every athlete that started this adventure on June 14! So, Max and any other athletes returning home to AZ from the trail, give me a call directly to schedule your therapy session before heading down to Tucson 208-514-6558. Anyone else interested in learning more about us, find and like us on Facebook... Ride On!!!

Topic Name: TD`13 Race Discussion Reply #806 on: June 24, 2013, 02:05:15 AM
Donald

View Profile
« Reply #806 on: June 24, 2013, 02:05:15 AM »

In reply to Randomlurker's post on Hydration: Wow, you are correct! Somewhat...lol.  All of these riders could benefit from IV therapy with the day to day rigors they are putting themselves through

The idea that IV fluids should be routine for TD riders is grotesque quackery of the worst kind. Anyone carrying 5 litres and the ability to treat ground water can complete the route in a state of perfect hydration. The best kind of hydration opportunity at Antelope Wells is Lloyd Payne's icebox full of water and Pepsi. No need for blood wagons!

Topic Name: TD`13 Race Discussion Reply #807 on: June 24, 2013, 02:06:57 AM
mathieu

View Profile
« Reply #807 on: June 24, 2013, 02:06:57 AM »

It's JP's ghost.

" Out, damned spot; out, I say.
One, two, -why, then 'tis time to do't.
Hell is murky. "
Lady Macbeth in Act 5.

Topic Name: TD`13 Race Discussion Reply #808 on: June 24, 2013, 02:13:09 AM
SimonK

View Profile
« Reply #808 on: June 24, 2013, 02:13:09 AM »

I am one of two owners of Standby Hydration Therapy out of Arizona and Eric Foster is one of my riders!! Eric is an intense individual and a top competitor; he understands the importance of hydration when it comes to performance, recovery from one endurance race, and the rehabilitation to be ready for the next (Triple Crown Prospect right??). This is why we have put in place a plan to provide therapy for Eric before every race and after every race. Oh and guess what?  Robin Schartz may understand the importance of being hydrated going into an Ultra race such as this too... Standby Hydration Therapy and The IV Guys stand behind both of these top level athletes and plan on seeing them in Antelope Wells!!  I congratulate every athlete that started this adventure on June 14! So, Max and any other athletes returning home to AZ from the trail, give me a call directly to schedule your therapy session before heading down to Tucson

IV Therapy?! For real? How desperate would you have to be to resort to that?

Reckon a chocolate milk, followed by a half glass of water, followed by a sports drink, followed by another half glass of water, followed by a Cola and a piss. Cap it off with a yoghurt and a nap - then all's well with the world. [Before you ask...I have finished the Great Divide Race in a respectable time, with a stomach virus from Wyoming on. If I thought there'd been an IV waiting for me at the finish line, I'd probably have pulled out].

Topic Name: TD`13 Race Discussion Reply #809 on: June 24, 2013, 02:24:46 AM
Roland Sturm

View Profile WWW
« Reply #809 on: June 24, 2013, 02:24:46 AM »

IV Guy: Your post would be a sick April 1 joke, but since this is not the right time, just appalling. A pre-event picture of a cyclist in a living room (Eric Foster  I presume?) on an IV hanging from the ceiling (or lamp) with a guy giving two thumbs up conjures the worst nightmares of quackery - or guys like Riccardo Ricco and Fuentes. Your "medical argument" is utter nonsense and your actions probably also in violation of medical practice regulations, depending on where this picture was taken and what you are licensed for.  Nasty stuff to see this here even if you just administer a saline drip (which has obviously no benefits to the cyclists in your pictures, just the medical risk of the IV, but who knows what else you add that would make it even worse).
All of these riders could benefit from IV therapy with the day to day rigors they are putting themselves through
« Last Edit: June 24, 2013, 04:44:12 AM by Roland Sturm » Logged

Topic Name: TD`13 Race Discussion Reply #810 on: June 24, 2013, 02:49:54 AM
Roland Sturm

View Profile WWW
« Reply #810 on: June 24, 2013, 02:49:54 AM »

If we as a group can't get rid of people like IV Guy, the future of bikepack racing is bleak. I suspect they will delete those pictures (but maybe they are actually proud of that), but to document one picture of  IV Guy's "preparations" of a current TD participant. I at first thought this is a pathetic joke, but check out the guy's pictures, a lot of people apparently receiving IV's in non-medical settings, including other pictures of Eric Foster.

II am one of two owners of Standby Hydration Therapy out of Arizona and Eric Foster is one of my riders!!

https://fbcdn-sphotos-g-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-prn1/602401_576512479060317_479756554_n.jpg

* 602401_576512479060317_479756554_n.jpg (47.03 KB, 480x640 - viewed 750 times.)
« Last Edit: June 24, 2013, 11:35:38 AM by Roland Sturm » Logged

Topic Name: TD`13 Race Discussion Reply #811 on: June 24, 2013, 03:23:34 AM
multisportscott

View Profile
« Reply #811 on: June 24, 2013, 03:23:34 AM »

In reply to Randomlurker's post on Hydration: Wow, you are correct! Somewhat...lol.  All of these riders could benefit from IV therapy with the day to day rigors they are putting themselves through; and if there is a stomach virus on top of that, it is crucial that these athletes do something for their Hydration levels just to keep them from ending up in the hospital. I am one of two owners of Standby Hydration Therapy out of Arizona and Eric Foster is one of my riders!! Eric is an intense individual and a top competitor; he understands the importance of hydration when it comes to performance, recovery from one endurance race, and the rehabilitation to be ready for the next (Triple Crown Prospect right??). This is why we have put in place a plan to provide therapy for Eric before every race and after every race. Oh and guess what?  Robin Schartz may understand the importance of being hydrated going into an Ultra race such as this too... Standby Hydration Therapy and The IV Guys stand behind both of these top level athletes and plan on seeing them in Antelope Wells!!  I congratulate every athlete that started this adventure on June 14! So, Max and any other athletes returning home to AZ from the trail, give me a call directly to schedule your therapy session before heading down to Tucson 208-514-6558. Anyone else interested in learning more about us, find and like us on Facebook... Ride On!!!
Are you freakin' serious? This is not the TdFarce we're talking about here buddy!
Go away please, I don't want to read this stuff on here nono

I used to do Ironman and there was a bit of this carry on happening by the top athletes to help them "recover". Never appealed to me. It definitely has no place here. That is NOT self supported.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2013, 03:27:14 AM by multisportscott » Logged

Topic Name: TD`13 Race Discussion Reply #812 on: June 24, 2013, 03:46:38 AM
Olefin

View Profile
« Reply #812 on: June 24, 2013, 03:46:38 AM »

Awful post by IV man. In my race, Simpson Desert, needing an IV means you're out. A simple rule that protects the participants.

Topic Name: TD`13 Race Discussion Reply #813 on: June 24, 2013, 03:54:20 AM
Bradjdavies

View Profile
« Reply #813 on: June 24, 2013, 03:54:20 AM »

Hey guys - let's talk about the race that's why there are trolls.

Apparently Jesse was picked up by a truck driver unconscious and driven to Como when he is staying currently. He will have to backtrack in the morning to the spot he came off, assuming he is recovered. Not doing too bad for a rookie... headbang

Topic Name: TD`13 Race Discussion Reply #814 on: June 24, 2013, 04:01:03 AM
RossC

View Profile WWW
« Reply #814 on: June 24, 2013, 04:01:03 AM »

Apparently Jesse was picked up by a truck driver unconscious and driven to Como when he is staying currently. He will have to backtrack in the morning to the spot he came off, assuming he is recovered. Not doing too bad for a rookie... headbang

Mental stuff. I hope he is OK!

Stuff of TD legend, that is for sure.

Topic Name: TD`13 Race Discussion Reply #815 on: June 24, 2013, 04:24:19 AM
Roland Sturm

View Profile WWW
« Reply #815 on: June 24, 2013, 04:24:19 AM »

I'm sorry that Jesse's misadventure is now overshadowed by IVMan.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2013, 01:07:00 AM by Roland Sturm » Logged

Topic Name: TD`13 Race Discussion Reply #816 on: June 24, 2013, 04:30:22 AM
Olefin

View Profile
« Reply #816 on: June 24, 2013, 04:30:22 AM »

Yeap, let's drop the troll.

Anyone got a clear picture of what happened to Jesse? Lighting? Fell of his bike?

Heck, it's got to be hard to stay awake after a while.

Topic Name: TD`13 Race Discussion Reply #817 on: June 24, 2013, 05:32:55 AM
Roland Sturm

View Profile WWW
« Reply #817 on: June 24, 2013, 05:32:55 AM »

Jesse is moving already and staying on the route, so it seems that he overcame whatever hit him yesterday quickly.

Topic Name: TD`13 Race Discussion Reply #818 on: June 24, 2013, 05:45:28 AM
ComoDepot

View Profile WWW
« Reply #818 on: June 24, 2013, 05:45:28 AM »

They were up at 5.00. Left at 6.00.

Jesse seems OK physically, just shocked in more senses of the word than one. You have all these what might have been moments going through your head. I am no medical expert but I think he will be fine.

He did leave his Credit Card behind, I had thought of getting my bike out and chasing them down but that might have been too embarrassing.....

His aim is to get to Salida later this morning and have his bike checked out, he was running tubeless and needs a few spare inners.

I am pretty sure it was a near lightning hit.

David

Topic Name: TD`13 Race Discussion Reply #819 on: June 24, 2013, 05:59:01 AM
hvellacott

View Profile
« Reply #819 on: June 24, 2013, 05:59:01 AM »

Does anyone know if there is a bikeshop in Rawlins? I have found mention of Gravity Sports and Highland Cycles, but it is unclear if either of them still exist.
  Pages: 1 ... 39 40 [41] 42 43 ... 97
Reply New Topic New Poll
Jump to: