Pages: 1 ... 36 37 [38] 39 40 ... 97
Reply Reply New Topic New Poll
  Topic Name: TD`13 Race Discussion Reply #740 on: June 23, 2013, 09:26:10 AM
29singlespeed

View Profile
« Reply #740 on: June 23, 2013, 09:26:10 AM »

I was looking Mike Hall's set up and his Dyno front hub/light looks pretty cool. It will run for 10 min in standby without the hub turning, and then also has a 1hr reserve for around camp and all. He is also running an Edge 705 it looks like -- I can't tell if the dynamo front hub will charge that also. In the past most bike packing has been done with GPS that use batteries, not rechargeable ones.

I ride a LES also as a SS. Perfect bike for bikepacking.

Here is his blog with this setup. Light and fast!
http://normallyaspiratedhuman.com/?p=1337

Topic Name: TD`13 Race Discussion Reply #741 on: June 23, 2013, 09:34:08 AM
Pollyhound

View Profile
« Reply #741 on: June 23, 2013, 09:34:08 AM »

JamesO had us all worried for a few hours there - nice to see him back.  I hope Craig's long stop is also a spot issue....

As a pure 'spot watcher' (in other words someone who doesn't know what they are talking about) I feel that even if you didn't have the SPOT the Observer Effect would still apply because the people you care about will know what you are trying to achieve.

I think anyone who seriously attempts this race (with or without a SPOT / phone/ web access etc.) is pretty amazing and they should feel proud that they have tried, even if they haven't made it, so no reputation loss possible from my view.

Come on MIKE!!!!  (and JAMES, and CRAIG and everyone!)

Topic Name: TD`13 Race Discussion Reply #742 on: June 23, 2013, 09:40:27 AM
mikepro

View Profile
« Reply #742 on: June 23, 2013, 09:40:27 AM »

In science there is something called the Observer Effect.

Well said and pointed out.  Let's not forget the Movie Effect, either.  This event was TOTALLY different pre-Ride The Divide movie (up through 2010 Grand Depart) versus post-movie (2011 to present).

Topic Name: TD`13 Race Discussion Reply #743 on: June 23, 2013, 09:40:38 AM
mtbcast

View Profile WWW
« Reply #743 on: June 23, 2013, 09:40:38 AM »

Pete Maindonald called in from south of Flag Ranch. Chris Bennett called in from Colter Bay. And Ryan Sigsbey called in from Colter Bay.
http://mtbcast.com/site2/category/td13/

JP - MTBCast.com

Topic Name: TD`13 Race Discussion Reply #744 on: June 23, 2013, 09:41:45 AM
Done

View Profile
« Reply #744 on: June 23, 2013, 09:41:45 AM »

That which is watched is changed. I can say with certainty (pun intended) racing in the pre-spot era was much different that post-spot.

Toby, I know you are pro-phone. Let's say you bust your fork and need it replaced mid-race. Quitting is not an option. You get yourself to the first bike shop available but they don't have your fork. What is your next step?

- call other shops to look for compatible fork
- have bike shop employee search on your behalf
- neither of the above, ride/walk/drag bike to the next available shop in hopes they have it

On the CTR last year, I broke a derailleur pulley while climbing out of Breckenridge/Frisco. I could have called Copper to see if they had one before continuing. I could have called a shop in Breckenridge to see if it made more sense to ride back. But I decided that calling ahead for that kind of outside support wasn't appropriate, so I started walking to Copper. Along the way, I came across a day-rider who very generously offered to give me the one from his bike. Again, I decided that it was better for me to Do It Myself, so I continued to Copper. When I got to Copper, I was lucky enough to find a shop that had a replacement.

Had the shop in Copper not had one, I would have considered other options, including calling someone to being me one. One way or another, I was going to ride to Durango! But I would have relegated myself.

The experience was humbling and satisfying. Taking the easy path, and either calling or accepting the pulley from the day rider, would have been very convenient. To be honest, those were very attractive options at the time! But I was there to Do It Myself.

I now carry an extra pulley in my kit. I didn't like having to stop at the bike shop one bit. It was a gray area for me, although I generally think that it's OK to use whatever services are available in town. But I still felt like I really should have been better prepared. For me, the focus of preparing for a race is a big part of the challenge. Knowing that my success or failure depends on the gear that I pack makes things more real. Taking responsibility for myself is important.

Sorry for the long response, Dave. Short answer to your question: I'd ride/walk/drag my bike to the nearest shop.

"Done"

Topic Name: TD`13 Race Discussion Reply #745 on: June 23, 2013, 10:06:05 AM
fastmtnbiker33w

Nuclear Sunrise Stitchworks

View Profile WWW
« Reply #745 on: June 23, 2013, 10:06:05 AM »

Max Morris just facebook'd that he's out.  I'm telling him to sleep on it....in a hotel. 

Topic Name: TD`13 Race Discussion Reply #746 on: June 23, 2013, 10:09:45 AM
DaveH

View Profile
« Reply #746 on: June 23, 2013, 10:09:45 AM »

Andrew Carney fb'd he's out as well. Sounds like a stomach virus - went from great to bad in 3 hours.

Topic Name: TD`13 Race Discussion Reply #747 on: June 23, 2013, 10:33:41 AM
goldenboy

View Profile
« Reply #747 on: June 23, 2013, 10:33:41 AM »

Mathewson said ‘please discuss’ so…
(insert can of worms icon here)
The growth of this 'race' along Adventure Cycling Association's Great Divide Route has changed a lot since a few guys started timing it about ten years ago and the yearly incarnations of the actual race, plus the armchair racing, have been interesting to watch.

In the 'olden days' the race coverage used to have very little real time action, updates were the payphone call-ins or maybe a veteran rider would write conjecture about what the handful of racers out there were riding through. There was almost no GPS tracking and no real time maps with layers for bears and weather. Information on the route like resources for food and water, or elevation gains, daily mileage expectations, et cetera was gleaned from scouring for a post write up blogs or researching maps. It wasn't as much of an organized race, as it was ITT's by some seriously prepared riders all on the same day.

The popularity of riding the route has grown and because of the open nature of the Tour Divide non-event, so have the number of riders on the Grand Depart. There are seasoned professional bike racers towing the line right next to much less experienced, amateur riders and everyone’s interpretations of the long ride ahead are different. Each year these riders simultaneously raise and lower the bar by challenging the elite cyclists to improve upon the previous record, while at the same time providing a record to the amateur cyclist that they are worthy of the challenge. This is evidenced obviously in record times by the fast people but also by the first to Single Speed the route or to complete the route without detours.

It used to be that maybe the hardest part about the race was the unknown. Now we know it can be done.  The number of people that want to ‘race’ the route will continue to grow, as will the varying interpretations of how to race it. Discussing the details of the ‘rules’ like using this mobile device or that bike feature are inevitable and if the Tour Divide wants to maintain the original spirit of the event it may need to set more stringent parameters and limit the scope of its inclusion by looking much further into the future.

I personally like the idea of a thousand cyclists of all ages and abilities all leaving from Canada on the second Sunday in June in a Grand Depart fashion heading out to ride the whole route, but feel that is not in keeping with the original racer’s (actual and armchair) intentions. I also agree that to ride the route completely self supported (carry everything, with no resupply) is the next incarnation to attain and to beat.

The current iteration of racing the route and it’s coverage is great. Thank you everyone from ‘organizers’ to first time posters for your contributions. Please keep adding to the actual coverage of the race and it's riders.  It really is the reason we are here.

enthusiasm>ability

Topic Name: TD`13 Race Discussion Reply #748 on: June 23, 2013, 10:38:07 AM
Donald

View Profile
« Reply #748 on: June 23, 2013, 10:38:07 AM »

On the CTR last year, I broke a derailleur pulley while climbing out of Breckenridge/Frisco. I could have called Copper to see if they had one before continuing. I could have called a shop in Breckenridge to see if it made more sense to ride back. But I decided that calling ahead for that kind of outside support wasn't appropriate, so I started walking to Copper. Along the way, I came across a day-rider who very generously offered to give me the one from his bike. Again, I decided that it was better for me to Do It Myself, so I continued to Copper. When I got to Copper, I was lucky enough to find a shop that had a replacement.

Had the shop in Copper not had one, I would have considered other options, including calling someone to being me one. One way or another, I was going to ride to Durango! But I would have relegated myself.

The experience was humbling and satisfying. Taking the easy path, and either calling or accepting the pulley from the day rider, would have been very convenient. To be honest, those were very attractive options at the time! But I was there to Do It Myself.

I now carry an extra pulley in my kit. I didn't like having to stop at the bike shop one bit. It was a gray area for me, although I generally think that it's OK to use whatever services are available in town. But I still felt like I really should have been better prepared. For me, the focus of preparing for a race is a big part of the challenge. Knowing that my success or failure depends on the gear that I pack makes things more real. Taking responsibility for myself is important.

Sorry for the long response, Dave. Short answer to your question: I'd ride/walk/drag my bike to the nearest shop.

Under CTR rules you cannot call ahead for services, so the dilemma over phone calls did not exist. On the other hand, genuine trail magic is allowed so you could have accepted the offer from the day rider.

Topic Name: TD`13 Race Discussion Reply #749 on: June 23, 2013, 11:03:48 AM
Blackhound

View Profile
« Reply #749 on: June 23, 2013, 11:03:48 AM »

Mike's set-up does allow him to recharge his 705 via a Plug II as well as his light.  Not certain with Mike's set up but the dynamo charges the gps by day and the lights at night.  At night the gps runs off its internal battery.

Regarding the movie effecting numbers I rode in 2011 after the movie came out.  I was already committed.  Mike Dion was there the night before and asked maybe half the riders if the movie was the reason for being there.  I would say only about 5 or 6 hands went up, most were like me and committed before the movie came out.  

I do wonder if the SPoT tracking is what has boosted the appeal as more people know about it and can follow what is happening.  The movie, magazines and social media have all helped with the appeal.

Topic Name: TD`13 Race Discussion Reply #750 on: June 23, 2013, 11:22:19 AM
Georg66

View Profile WWW
« Reply #750 on: June 23, 2013, 11:22:19 AM »

Regarding the movie effecting numbers I rode in 2011 after the movie came out.  I was already committed.  Mike Dion was there the night before and asked maybe half the riders if the movie was the reason for being there.  I would say only about 5 or 6 hands went up, most were like me and committed before the movie came out. 
I rode TD in 2012 and decided in 2010 after I did some riding with Dominik Scherer, a great MTB enthusiast, who told me about his experience. Later I learned about the existence of the movie ... indeed a 2013-partipicant told me about it.
My feeling is that half of the participants which I know are mainly influenced by the movie, the other half by articles/reports in MTB magazines or by personal communication.
However, it will be interesting how TD will develop in future ...

Private Homepage

pain is temporary - glory is forever

Topic Name: TD`13 Race Discussion Reply #751 on: June 23, 2013, 11:42:44 AM
dp

Health Coach. Hope Dealer. Mountain Bike Junkie.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #751 on: June 23, 2013, 11:42:44 AM »

The current iteration of racing the route and its coverage is great...
Hear, Hear!

"Every time I see an adult on a bicycle, I no longer despair for the future of the human race."  - H. G. Wells
www.davidjamesphillips.com
www.davidjamesphillips.blogspot.com

Topic Name: TD`13 Race Discussion Reply #752 on: June 23, 2013, 11:53:29 AM
MCR

View Profile
« Reply #752 on: June 23, 2013, 11:53:29 AM »

This is a neat link. It shows the fire-affected areas in CO and NM (and AZ and UT and CA). The link is for one specific spot, but if you zoom out you can see the others. As you zoom in it shows a drawn outline. I'm not sure what exactly the outline shows.

http://inciweb.nwcg.gov/incident/3436/

Topic Name: TD`13 Race Discussion Reply #753 on: June 23, 2013, 12:14:20 PM
elitheknife

View Profile WWW
« Reply #753 on: June 23, 2013, 12:14:20 PM »

Stappler, Stappler...anyone...anyone...Stappler?

I really hope Craig's OK. 

Como Depot, can you report having seen Craig at all?

Topic Name: TD`13 Race Discussion Reply #754 on: June 23, 2013, 12:23:06 PM
pro_out

View Profile
« Reply #754 on: June 23, 2013, 12:23:06 PM »

Stappler, Stappler...anyone...anyone...Stappler?

I really hope Craig's OK. 

Como Depot, can you report having seen Craig at all?
My guess would be a stealth attack

Lone Wolf

Topic Name: TD`13 Race Discussion Reply #755 on: June 23, 2013, 12:25:53 PM
elitheknife

View Profile WWW
« Reply #755 on: June 23, 2013, 12:25:53 PM »

My guess would be a stealth attack

That would be a logical explanation, though it seems outside of Craig's ethics.  Who knows...it would be fantastic to see his dot show up far down route.

Topic Name: TD`13 Race Discussion Reply #756 on: June 23, 2013, 12:29:18 PM
dp

Health Coach. Hope Dealer. Mountain Bike Junkie.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #756 on: June 23, 2013, 12:29:18 PM »

I do wonder if the SPoT tracking is what has boosted the appeal as more people know about it and can follow what is happening.  The movie, magazines and social media have all helped with the appeal.

I found out about the GDR/TD when I read the 2008 Outside Magazine article by Jon Billman (http://www.outsideonline.com/adventure-travel/north-america/united-states/colorado/steamboat-springs/The-World-s-Toughest-Bike-Race-Is-Not-in-France.html?page=all).  I was hooked immediately.  Have since seen the movie and followed the races here and on trackleaders & mtbcast.  Have never taken on the challenge myself, but it is something I aspire to.

"Every time I see an adult on a bicycle, I no longer despair for the future of the human race."  - H. G. Wells
www.davidjamesphillips.com
www.davidjamesphillips.blogspot.com

Topic Name: TD`13 Race Discussion Reply #757 on: June 23, 2013, 12:57:36 PM
Veetack

View Profile WWW
« Reply #757 on: June 23, 2013, 12:57:36 PM »

Well said and pointed out.  Let's not forget the Movie Effect, either.  This event was TOTALLY different pre-Ride The Divide movie (up through 2010 Grand Depart) versus post-movie (2011 to present).
I don't think different by any means means bad in this case. There's no question that the race has gained exponential popularity thanks to Mike Dion and Hunter Weeks, but I would contend that the business along the divide greatly appreciate it. The movie states that the TD is an 'underground' race. Eventually, it's bound to dig its way out. As long as we never see support vehicles following riders with extra bikes and gear and mechanics, I'm perfectly fine with acquiring needs and arranging resupply/meals/places to stay. As long as you're taking your own time to do so, IMHO it's still self support.

May your mileage always be higher than your post count.

blog: veloadventurer.blogspot.com

Topic Name: TD`13 Race Discussion Reply #758 on: June 23, 2013, 01:24:14 PM
mtbcast

View Profile WWW
« Reply #758 on: June 23, 2013, 01:24:14 PM »

Peter Kraft Sr. called in from Lima. They’ve had good weather. Eric Foster called in from Buffalo Valley Cafe. The call break up a little but he made an adjustment and his knee pain is gone. Cjell Money called in from Boulder. He recaps the leaders as he passed them heading North. Fred Arden called in from Island Park. Rich Otterstrom called in from Island Park. And Craig Stappler called in to say he’s OUT!
http://mtbcast.com/site2/category/td13/

JP - MTBCast.com

Topic Name: TD`13 Race Discussion Reply #759 on: June 23, 2013, 01:24:52 PM
desertrat

View Profile
« Reply #759 on: June 23, 2013, 01:24:52 PM »

Thank you everyone from ‘organizers’ to first time posters for your contributions. Please keep adding to the actual coverage of the race and it's riders.  It really is the reason we are here.

Thank you for making family members feel welcome.   angel8
  Pages: 1 ... 36 37 [38] 39 40 ... 97
Reply New Topic New Poll
Jump to: