Pages: 1 ... 93 94 [95] 96 97
Reply Reply New Topic New Poll
  Topic Name: TD`13 Race Discussion Reply #1880 on: July 17, 2013, 11:05:31 AM
desertrat

View Profile
« Reply #1880 on: July 17, 2013, 11:05:31 AM »

Peter Kraft Sr. called in with his finish call!
http://mtbcast.com/site2/category/td13/

Now that's a guy whose glass is half full.  Class act. 

Topic Name: TD`13 Race Discussion Reply #1881 on: July 17, 2013, 11:34:53 AM
Longtrailahead

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1881 on: July 17, 2013, 11:34:53 AM »

With my husband now done with this ordeal, safe in a motel in El Paso, with no more miles to ride (well, for a while, at least) but just to fly (back home to Pittsburgh) - I can finally breathe. Michael, after briefly talking to him yesterday, here is what I wrote to a friend of mine: "I talked with him a couple of hours ago and he told me he had another day from hell: in the middle of a desert, in the middle of a thunderstorm, surrounded by lightning, carrying his bike through above knees muddy waters of torrential streams ...... Whenever we talk in the evening - he talks about pure agony, pain and misery, but then he also talks about great people he meets along the trail and of breathtaking scenery. Once he comes home and digests all of this - I'm somehow sure the "people-scenery" part will prevail." Michael, and all of you riders who are now back home and all of you still out there riding - I so hope that the "people-scenery" part will be the one that stays with you forever. J.D.Pauls said every day consisted of "12 miserable hours out of 13", and Greg called the Race "brutal but beautiful". I hope all of you can find and remember your "13th beautiful hour". The beauty, kindness, help, camaraderie, support, encouragement and so much more my husband found in the scenery; in his fellow riders (Rick A., Richard C., Greg, Mike Hall, Stappy,  and some more whom I cannot remember now); in "trail angels" that showed up when he didn't even realize he desperately needed them (Keer and his wife with his mother Corina - taking him into their home from the sleet and lightening to give him hot tea and dry his frozen gloves, a lady and a guy stopping by him and Rick after a brutal dehydration of the Basin and giving them drinks, a guy giving him sodas, food and sausages when he just asked for the direction to the water fountain, and many more I haven't yet heard of); in Kirsten and Sylvia and other dedicated TDR followers and helpers; Lloyd and Roger; in his "generalshtab" friends back home in Pittsburgh (Bob, Jack, Dave) and all of our co-workers, neighbors, friends, Thick Bikes shop experts (especially Larry); Gina; family back home in Croatia and Slovenia; business partners in Miami and even Haiti (yes, you guys out there - you have been watched and followed and cheered on all over the world!), and many, many more = that is what will stay with him forever. Wow! And I just know that your story Michael (and everybody else's out there) is as rich and as beautiful and as deep and as life-confirming/enriching/changing as my husband's is. You did it, you survived it - now celebrate it! Congratulations to all that finished it, to all still grueling it, and even to you who gave up this time for the reasons you only know but you showed up and gave it your best! The champagne I will be drinking with my husband and our daughter (who cheered and supported him and me throughout this event) when he returns home is for him and also for all of you who became a part of his important life-event. Thank you all!

Not only watching Velimir continue on, but finish as well the entire route, turned out to be incredibly inspirational to many of those whom cycled alongside him throughout. What an awesome job you did Vel. As I said to you up in Del Norte....your one tough man! Kick back and savor your accomplishment fella. Grab yourself an extra cola, you've earned it!  wave

Topic Name: TD`13 Race Discussion Reply #1882 on: July 18, 2013, 12:44:40 AM
james-o

View Profile
« Reply #1882 on: July 18, 2013, 12:44:40 AM »

Peter Kraft Sr. called in with his finish call!
http://mtbcast.com/site2/category/td13/

Great to hear that, 'chapeau' to them both. I look forward to reading about their ride in the Cordillera.

My ride report is up here http://www.jonesbikes.com/?option=com_wordpress&lang=en&p=3071&Itemid=58
and more photos here http://www.flickr.com/photos/67338272@N05/sets/72157634480077423/

(edited/relinked)
« Last Edit: November 23, 2013, 12:09:06 AM by james-o » Logged

Topic Name: TD`13 Race Discussion Reply #1883 on: July 18, 2013, 09:56:14 AM
dp

Health Coach. Hope Dealer. Mountain Bike Junkie.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1883 on: July 18, 2013, 09:56:14 AM »

Fantastic photos!  And a great ride report.  Thanks for sharing. 

Is the Jones bike really "all that?"  I'd love to test ride one sometime.

"Every time I see an adult on a bicycle, I no longer despair for the future of the human race."  - H. G. Wells
www.davidjamesphillips.com
www.davidjamesphillips.blogspot.com

Topic Name: TD`13 Race Discussion Reply #1884 on: July 18, 2013, 10:10:16 AM
james-o

View Profile
« Reply #1884 on: July 18, 2013, 10:10:16 AM »

Thanks DP
Is the Jones bike really "all that?"  I'd love to test ride one sometime.
I think it is. It's certainly worth a try-out.

Topic Name: TD`13 Race Discussion Reply #1885 on: July 18, 2013, 11:59:50 AM
tahic

View Profile
« Reply #1885 on: July 18, 2013, 11:59:50 AM »

Great to hear that, 'chapeau' to them both. I look forward to reading about their ride in the Cordillera.

My ride report is up here http://www.jonesbikes.com/?option=com_wordpress&lang=en&Itemid=58

and more photos here http://www.flickr.com/photos/67338272@N05/sets/72157634480077423/

Thank you for the write up James and I'm so impressed you took the time to take such great pics. Your attitude to the ride and your commitment to 'your' race is inspiring

Topic Name: TD`13 Race Discussion Reply #1886 on: July 18, 2013, 12:34:47 PM
james-o

View Profile
« Reply #1886 on: July 18, 2013, 12:34:47 PM »

After reading some of the earlier pages in this thread as a catch up, I should point out (obviously!) I did have a camera, just no phone/GPS. I wasn't going to take the camera but decided last-minute that people were right, I'd regret it later if I had no pictures. Most were taken when I was stopped for other things or just a stretch, but sometimes the views simply stopped me in my tracks.
So thanks, glad they're appreciated. I wanted to post the link here after seeing Eric Foster's blog, it's good to see the same places at different times of day or from a different perspective. It's a beautiful route.

Topic Name: TD`13 Race Discussion Reply #1887 on: July 19, 2013, 06:24:45 PM
jape

View Profile
« Reply #1887 on: July 19, 2013, 06:24:45 PM »

Hi, can somebody please post the link to the group photo of the Grand Depart? I know I found it somewhere within the first couple of days but cannot find it any longer. Thanks a lot!

Topic Name: TD`13 Race Discussion Reply #1888 on: July 19, 2013, 07:45:32 PM
elveepee

View Profile
« Reply #1888 on: July 19, 2013, 07:45:32 PM »

Roger Payne and his wife were waiting at the finish line and had a bet on the time Dennis would finish. Roger won as Dennis finished at 5:46 p.m., on 7-10-2013.  Roger had him hit his spot but apparently it didn't register. Roger took pictures on Dennis'  camera and Roger's wife took a picture too on her camera. Roger then hauled him to El Paso, TX. He should be 59th position. I called Matthew this morning and informed him of this info.
I will re post my prior entry. I do not know what more to do. It still shows Dennis Loewen at the AW border but does not show him finished.

Topic Name: TD`13 Race Discussion Reply #1889 on: July 19, 2013, 07:51:10 PM
tahic

View Profile
« Reply #1889 on: July 19, 2013, 07:51:10 PM »

Hi, can somebody please post the link to the group photo of the Grand Depart? I know I found it somewhere within the first couple of days but cannot find it any longer. Thanks a lot!

There are some group photos in this lot not sure if it's the one you want

http://s1314.photobucket.com/user/StevePuerzer/media/TD%202013%20bikes/SAM_1056_zpsa83a7db9.jpg.html?sort=2&o=132

Topic Name: TD`13 Race Discussion Reply #1890 on: July 19, 2013, 08:09:20 PM
jape

View Profile
« Reply #1890 on: July 19, 2013, 08:09:20 PM »

Excellent! Thanks so much tahic!

Topic Name: TD`13 Race Discussion Reply #1891 on: July 20, 2013, 03:50:24 PM
Pollyhound

View Profile
« Reply #1891 on: July 20, 2013, 03:50:24 PM »

Great write up, fantastic pictures and congratulations on your race. Well done all round!

Topic Name: TD`13 Race Discussion Reply #1892 on: July 20, 2013, 08:43:08 PM
Russ Kipp

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1892 on: July 20, 2013, 08:43:08 PM »

Just a quick FYI for those ITT riders, as well as any other riders just touring the southwest Montana section of the Great Divide Trail.  On Wednesday afternoon Bannack was severally damaged by a flash flood.  In a 45 minute period 3 to 4 inches of rain fell north and east of the town of Bannack.  This sent a wall of water down "Hangman's Gulch" and through Bannack - Montana State Park damaging 80 percent of the buildings.  It's estimated that Bannack will be closed for at least a month so any riders planning to camp a Bannack be advised it is closed.  The Bannack bench road received about a quarter of an inch of rain and sustained no damage.  We got about a half inch at our lodge, so no flooding here either.  We are open for riders.

* Bannack Flash Flood July 16th.jpg (115.21 KB, 620x465 - viewed 697 times.)
« Last Edit: July 20, 2013, 08:47:45 PM by Russ Kipp » Logged

Topic Name: TD`13 Race Discussion Reply #1893 on: July 21, 2013, 04:39:12 AM
Pollyhound

View Profile
« Reply #1893 on: July 21, 2013, 04:39:12 AM »

Just a quick FYI for those ITT riders, as well as any other riders just touring the southwest Montana section of the Great Divide Trail.  On Wednesday afternoon Bannack was severally damaged by a flash flood.  In a 45 minute period 3 to 4 inches of rain fell north and east of the town of Bannack.  This sent a wall of water down "Hangman's Gulch" and through Bannack - Montana State Park damaging 80 percent of the buildings.  It's estimated that Bannack will be closed for at least a month so any riders planning to camp a Bannack be advised it is closed.  The Bannack bench road received about a quarter of an inch of rain and sustained no damage.  We got about a half inch at our lodge, so no flooding here either.  We are open for riders.
Many thanks for this info Russ.  My partner and 3 others are currently riding about three quarters of the route, I've sent him an email with your info.  They are currently in Lincoln (according to SpotWalla) so hopefully they'll be passing by your way soon. 

Topic Name: TD`13 Race Discussion Reply #1894 on: July 21, 2013, 07:13:44 AM
Longtrailahead

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1894 on: July 21, 2013, 07:13:44 AM »

Just a quick FYI for those ITT riders, as well as any other riders just touring the southwest Montana section of the Great Divide Trail.  On Wednesday afternoon Bannack was severally damaged by a flash flood.  In a 45 minute period 3 to 4 inches of rain fell north and east of the town of Bannack.  This sent a wall of water down "Hangman's Gulch" and through Bannack - Montana State Park damaging 80 percent of the buildings.  It's estimated that Bannack will be closed for at least a month so any riders planning to camp a Bannack be advised it is closed.  The Bannack bench road received about a quarter of an inch of rain and sustained no damage.  We got about a half inch at our lodge, so no flooding here either.  We are open for riders.

Russ, just a quick note to say thanks for everything you and Karen did for the 2013 TD riders. Staying at your lodge most certainly made undertaking the incredible Tour Divide route, even more amazing!

Topic Name: TD`13 Race Discussion Reply #1895 on: July 21, 2013, 01:14:02 PM
chainagent

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1895 on: July 21, 2013, 01:14:02 PM »

Russ, just a quick note to say thanks for everything you and Karen did for the 2013 TD riders. Staying at your lodge most certainly made undertaking the incredible Tour Divide route, even more amazing!

I agree!!  thumbsup

Michael

My Tour Divide 2013 Blog: http://mgtd2013.blogspot.de/

Topic Name: TD`13 Race Discussion Reply #1896 on: July 22, 2013, 06:03:25 AM
EDMountain

View Profile
« Reply #1896 on: July 22, 2013, 06:03:25 AM »

A question for the 2013 racers -- (and a congrats!) --

To navigate, did you primarily use a GPS...or cue sheets and a computer...or both?

Thoughts on what's the most reliable/easiest/etc?

thanks!

Topic Name: TD`13 Race Discussion Reply #1897 on: July 22, 2013, 08:20:30 AM
MattL

View Profile
« Reply #1897 on: July 22, 2013, 08:20:30 AM »

To navigate, did you primarily use a GPS...or cue sheets and a computer...or both?

I killed 2 computers during the race.  Normally I advocate wired computers, but on a bikepacking rig if you don't get the routing and strain relief perfect, the computer won't last.  (Too many bags and things rubbing and shaking.)  If I did it again, I would go with the adjustable VDO computer in digital wireless form.

When I had a working computer, I navigated by cue and occasionally double-checked the GPS.  I had customized the cues and printed them out myself.  I never looked at the GPS and found myself off course, but I occasionally used the GPS to navigate a tricky intersection.

Navigating by cue is, IMO, the most fun, most immersive way to ride.  No staring into screens, and the cues give you a sense of where you are that the glowing red line does not.  Keeping the GPS on as a backup helps you stay fast, but put it on a 15-second timeout so you aren't tempted to stare at it.

I finished the 2013 TD.  I did the whole damn thing,
excluding the 2013 detours, in good style and—as
far as I know—totally in accordance with the rules.

Topic Name: TD`13 Race Discussion Reply #1898 on: July 22, 2013, 08:31:16 AM
BobM

View Profile
« Reply #1898 on: July 22, 2013, 08:31:16 AM »

I killed 2 computers during the race.  Normally I advocate wired computers, but on a bikepacking rig if you don't get the routing and strain relief perfect, the computer won't last.  (Too many bags and things rubbing and shaking.)  If I did it again, I would go with the adjustable VDO computer in digital wireless form.

When I had a working computer, I navigated by cue and occasionally double-checked the GPS.  I had customized the cues and printed them out myself.  I never looked at the GPS and found myself off course, but I occasionally used the GPS to navigate a tricky intersection.

Navigating by cue is, IMO, the most fun, most immersive way to ride.  No staring into screens, and the cues give you a sense of where you are that the glowing red line does not.  Keeping the GPS on as a backup helps you stay fast, but put it on a 15-second timeout so you aren't tempted to stare at it.

I agree on the fun factor.  IMO one of the worst changes to the rules was when the "official" gps file was introduced.  Prior to that you could use gps, but if it got you off track and you didn't correct you were relegated, same as if you missed a cue and didn't backtrack.  Now, if you are using the "official" file and it is wrong - no penalty.  This takes an entire skill set (navigation) out of the race.

Check out my leatherwork shop at www.etsy.com/shop/BirchCreekLeather

Topic Name: TD`13 Race Discussion Reply #1899 on: July 22, 2013, 06:25:02 PM
Pdk123

View Profile
« Reply #1899 on: July 22, 2013, 06:25:02 PM »

I killed 2 computers during the race.  Normally I advocate wired computers, but on a bikepacking rig if you don't get the routing and strain relief perfect, the computer won't last.  (Too many bags and things rubbing and shaking.)  If I did it again, I would go with the adjustable VDO computer in digital wireless form.

When I had a working computer, I navigated by cue and occasionally double-checked the GPS.  I had customized the cues and printed them out myself.  I never looked at the GPS and found myself off course, but I occasionally used the GPS to navigate a tricky intersection.

Navigating by cue is, IMO, the most fun, most immersive way to ride.  No staring into screens, and the cues give you a sense of where you are that the glowing red line does not.  Keeping the GPS on as a backup helps you stay fast, but put it on a 15-second timeout so you aren't tempted to stare at it.
I killed 2 computers during the race.  Normally I advocate wired computers, but on a bikepacking rig if you don't get the routing and strain relief perfect, the computer won't last.  (Too many bags and things rubbing and shaking.)  If I did it again, I would go with the adjustable VDO computer in digital wireless form.

When I had a working computer, I navigated by cue and occasionally double-checked the GPS.  I had customized the cues and printed them out myself.  I never looked at the GPS and found myself off course, but I occasionally used the GPS to navigate a tricky intersection.

Navigating by cue is, IMO, the most fun, most immersive way to ride.  No staring into screens, and the cues give you a sense of where you are that the glowing red line does not.  Keeping the GPS on as a backup helps you stay fast, but put it on a 15-second timeout so you aren't tempted to stare at it.

[I was big on VDO wireless. I used one as did my son and they both failed roughly 20 days in.  Within days of eachother.  Maybe I just need to be faster. Smiley]
« Last Edit: July 22, 2013, 06:30:34 PM by Pdk123 » Logged

Peter Kraft Sr.
  Pages: 1 ... 93 94 [95] 96 97
Reply New Topic New Poll
Jump to: