Pages: [1] 2
Reply Reply New Topic New Poll
  Topic Name: TD 2013 Letters of Intent on: February 05, 2013, 07:58:12 AM
pickupel

View Profile WWW
« on: February 05, 2013, 07:58:12 AM »

Dear Tour Divide,

I’m done with waiting. I’m done with imagining the rolling hills of Southern England are the lofty passes of the Rockies. I’m done with living vicariously as I watch others inch their way towards Mexico. Finally I can declare myself in. I will line up in Banff on June 14th 2013.

I am labouring under no illusions — I know that this race can be brutal, lonely, terrifying in its immensity, and I know that many who attempt it fail to finish. It is, however, these very facts that lured me to the challenge. I want to be tested, tried and come out the other side knowing that I have endured. I want to suffer for hard won miles in a late-night storm to be rewarded with a crisp sunrise. I want to experience the simplicity the race promises — eat, sleep, ride. Most of all I want to see if I can; after all when has the chance of failure ever been a good excuse for not embarking on an adventure?

I’ll see you in Banff,

Ed Pickup
Salisbury, UK

Topic Name: TD 2013 Letters of Intent Reply #1 on: February 05, 2013, 01:24:46 PM
Longtrailahead

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2013, 01:24:46 PM »

2013 Tour Divide LOI (A Riders Manifesto)

To whom it may concern, and or so should matter -

I have spent the better part of all most 46 years now ventured into thine human life, nurturing, forming, and cultivating myself into that of a lifestyle representative of a genuine true free spirit. Most certainly since crossing the threshold of childhood into teenage development, have I chosen my own unique pathway of travel within my very own life. "Always marching to the beat of a different drummer," some would say when asked routinely of where I was going, and or what I was doing next . Collected, the continuing years would go on to produce some of the most amazing, and incredible experiences both physically and spiritually an individual could ever ask for. Athletic challenge and personal discovery on a global scale, solely chronicling the chapters to an endless bounty of short stories being played out. Like colorful vignettes, all pictured and displayed throughout the canvass of a life lived full of adventurous, and sporting passion. Clearly as I now approach what seemingly feels like some sort of half way point in ones very own existence, void are signs indicating that change in personal direction taken will come anytime soon. My course and mission continues to remain steadfast and true.

With that being said on this very first day of the 2012 winter solstice... It is with much delight, enthusiasm, and conveyed affirmation that I am officially announcing(by submitting of this written letter of intent)that I intend to be in Banff, AB CA on the second Friday of this coming June, for the start of the 2013 Continental Tour Divide Race. The grand tour of mountain biking that it be! Personally, I have no interest in winning or losing this race. I do not care to blaze the fastest time, or even set the slowest mark for that matter. Only reverence of which I hold! I will say though however, simply that I have a burning want and desire to fulfill something individually unlike ever before. The deafening internal cry to go all out for once, reverberating and erupting upwards in motivational force. The lure of this most distinguished and grandiose event in the offer of fully letting it all hang out completely lock, stock, and barrel, cannot be ignored nor denied any further! The world's toughest cycling race is calling my name.

From hence forth hither, the mountain bike will become my ever constant companion. The most loyal of friend and best of buddy. Expected training over the winter and coming spring months, is now underway. The prolonged period of time of which the two of us will now share together, surely will only pale in comparison to the extensive effort of the actual 2745 miles waiting ahead for me on the official divide route. Besides the riding alone, I will as well include in my training and preparation for said human endurance spectacle, the following - The daily viewing of any such manly films, in which the perseverance of man's indomitable spirit and vested survival is the main focus of story being depicted. Or, any film which profiles in any presentation of comical manner, the lengthy act of stage-racing, cross country racing, or simply flat out madcap, zany, crazy fun. Specific films referenced for example are -

Jeremiah Johnson,

Any of the Clint Eastwood spaghetti westerns,

Conan The Barbarian,

The Gumball Rally

Cannonball Run,

Grand Theft Auto(original 1977 version starring Ron Howard aka Richie Cunningham),

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World,

Slap Shot.

From this point on, my sole thought be that of success being obtained through two-wheeled traverse starting at the Canadian Rockies, and ending at the southern most POE of New Mexico. Let the mountains and countryside, streams, rivers, and trails guide me to the final destination of rewarded accomplishment only having once arrived. Allow my route of travel go unimpeded by grizzly or brown bear, nor that the inside of my bivy see rattlesnake or scorpion as night-time companion throughout. With the toss of a hat, I have entered myself in what promises to be one of the most extraordinary events of my entire life. With due diligence and strong perseverance, I will make my way from Banff, AB CA, straight on down and through unto Antelope Wells, NM U.S.A.!

See you at the starting line,

Richard S. Costello

Warminster, Pennsylvania U.S.A.

Topic Name: TD 2013 Letters of Intent Reply #2 on: February 06, 2013, 02:33:55 AM
Christopher R. Bennett

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2013, 02:33:55 AM »

I posted this to my blog www.tri-duffer.com and sent it in on 2 February...

Today is a bookend of sorts, so a good time to put together my ‘Letter of Intent’  for the 2013 Tour Divide race.

I’ve been drawn to the Great Divide Mountain Bike Route since shortly after it was first established. In 2002 I toured it from Rooseville Montana to Antelope Wells New Mexico—something which took me two months.  It was a life changing experience. Besides having lots of time to think in the quiet of the wilderness, to see amazing scenery, it was somewhere in northern New Mexico that God gave me the message that I should work for the World Bank (I had turned them down six months earlier) and that is where I have been working since a year after the ride.

Around 2008 I picked up an ‘Outside Magazine’ around which had an article on the Tour Divide Race. Something clicked inside of me and I knew that I had to do this. It took me a few years to be able to arrange my affairs, but in 2011 I lined up for a South-North run in Antelope Wells ready to go. It was a disaster. The fires in New Mexico and the dust brought on a very bad asthma attack and I DQ’d myself day 1 going to the hospital. Although I managed to ride about 1000 km in total, I was really disappointed.

Being a totally obsessive individual there was no doubt that I would be back the next year so in 2012 I headed out from Banff focused on finishing the race.  I was a mid-pack rider, juggling with a few others for 40-45th place. After beating Montana and the Great Basin I was confident that this was the year to finish. I was really stoked to meet Matt and Scott at Bush Mountain Lodge. But then I checked my e-m and found my mother had broken her hip. My father had dementia and with nobody to take care of him I had to withdraw. Matt commented ‘when are you going to get this race off your chest’. But I had no choice. I rode to Steamboat Springs and 24 h later I was in Toronto, where I spent seven weeks helping my parents. Matt kindly offered to let me finish from Steamboat,  but I couldn’t get back…  I was envious of Prentiss, Mario, Elena and James who I rode with and finished, but I was also grateful to be able to help my parents in their time of need.

This is where the bookend comes in. During those seven weeks my wife and I helped my parents, my father was committed to a long-term care facility. It was hard on everyone, but really for the best. I came up to Toronto every two months or from New Zealand to spend time with them and help out. The World Bank is a very accommodating employer! Yesterday my father died peacefully in his sleep. I caught a flight up from New Zealand and so, jetlagged after 24 h of travel, I find myself awake at midnight thinking about life, what’s important, and appreciative of the amazing life, friends and family that I’ve had.

So I’ll be riding in 2013. To hopefully finish the unfinished business from 2011 and 2012. But even if I don’t finish, it doesn’t really matter that much. For those of us who have the health and optimism to ride the divide, no matter what the outcome, we are truly blessed.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2013, 02:41:45 AM by Christopher R. Bennett » Logged

Topic Name: TD 2013 Letters of Intent Reply #3 on: February 06, 2013, 03:25:07 AM
falkenjaeger

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2013, 03:25:07 AM »

Here we go...
LOI can also be found on http://tourdivide2013.blogspot.de/2013/02/letter-of-intent.html

Hi everybody,

my name is Mirko and I am from Stuttgart, Germany. For those of you who have no clue where that is: this is the city where cars like Mercedes and Porsche are built. However, I am more into biking (and don't drive either one of those cars) Isn't it ironic?

During my years at university I spent one year abroad in the US (El Paso, Tx). I have always been fascinated by the beauty of the country and have come back quite a few times since then as a tourist. Back then I dreamed about riding through the wilderness on a horse's back one day (keep in mind I was 20 years younger).

It was about 15 years ago that I first read about a bike race called Race Across America (RAAM). So in the first place this sounded like a good idea to realize this dream. However,  I have been a passionate mountainbiker for many years. So should I change bikes? The answer was no. In 2011, four days before x-mas, I got hit by two slipped disks in my neck and surgery was unavoidable. Game over, no more mountainbiking, no more fancy bike dreams. But the doctors did a fantastic job and I started workouts and recovery, slowly. About three months later I felt better than ever and last summer I was able to finish a 7-day-transalp - on my mountainbike.

A few weeks ago I first heard about the tour divide. Strike! That was it, no roads, no traffic. I started gathering information about this adventure and started training the same day. I also got the blessings from my family (it was kind of my x-mas present). Hopefully, my wife and kids do not have to wait too long for their daddy to come back home .... I will give my best.
I can't wait to see you all in Banff,
Mirko

Arriva Mexico!

Topic Name: TD 2013 Letters of Intent Reply #4 on: February 06, 2013, 11:01:05 AM
Mario

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2013, 11:01:05 AM »

"For those of us who have the health and optimism to ride the divide, no matter what the outcome, we are truly blessed."
C.R. Bennett

See you on the trail my friend.

Topic Name: TD 2013 Letters of Intent Reply #5 on: February 07, 2013, 06:48:05 AM
sthig

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2013, 06:48:05 AM »

My letter intent (with pretty pictures) can be found here: http://www.driven2divide.com/2013/02/07/tour-divide-letter-intent/

However here it is.

LOI

Every year for the Tour Divide riders submit a letter of intent to show their commitment to the race.  Sometimes they are short, sometimes they are long and some express their letter of intent (LOI) in poems, songs, sonnets and tribal dances (okay, I may have made some of that up.  But I really think tribal dancing is involved, especially to the tunes of Nickelback <3).

Dear Tour Divide,

I've never been out west other than to Los Angeles to work on an animation project that involved a big green ogre.  I hear you're tough, I hear you're nasty and I've witnessed you taking riders who attempt to tackle you, down to their knees.

Hello I'm Scott Thigpen and on June 14, 2013, I'm going to be your newest rider to take you on from Canada to Mexico. You probably don't much about me as I've not been a mountain biker for a particularly long time, let's round up to "about a half a decade" and honestly only around two years of serious competitive racing.

I'm sure you're aware that there was a documentary movie made about you and that's what won me over to try to tackle you.  Essentially for the past two years I've worked tirelessly to prepare for you and all the nasties you have awaiting me.  I've lost over 55lbs, worked on pedal efficiency and developed some iron legs on these East Coast Appalachian mountains  to take on your West Coast rocky ones.

I used to be scared of you, I used to think I would never stand a chance but now I'm anxious to hit you with my fat tires and barring broken bike, broken body or broken mind, you will see me ride the spine of your Continental Divide all the way down to the Antelope Wells/Mexico borderline.

Will you make me think about quitting?  Yep, and probably often.  Will you frustrate me and try to thwart me?  I'm only assuming you'll do a fantastic job of that.  Will you try to break my bike?  Oh yeah, I'm sure you'll wear my ride down quickly.

But I'm preparing for you and know that when the chips are down and I feel like quitting, I'll keep it simple and come up with a solution.  If you try to thwart me I'll just stop, collect myself and then move forward.  And if you even dare try to break my bike, do know I'll be armed with 800 sturdy zip ties to pull together anything you rip off.  I'm serious, don't make me pull out the industrial sized zip ties...because I will. I'm not playing!

What am I looking most forward to when I meet you, Tour Divide?  Well the sights, of course.  I'm really looking forward to a nice slice of pie in Pie Town.  I'm excited to get to spend some extended time outdoors alone and do some sole searching (no really, like I do a good job of losing my shoe sometimes...or I get a rock in it and I can never get it out).

And what if you win, oh Divide?  What if you do manage to stop me from finishing for one reason or another.  Well you know, I'm totally okay with that. The journey towards you, meeting new people, making new friends, the change in me because of all the training that wasn't just physical? That, to me, has been the true test of a race.  You're only a piddly 3-4 weeks long, I've been at this for almost two years now and it's been one helluva journey!

But that said, Tour Divide. I'm really looking forward to greeting you in Canada and bidding you farewell in Antelope Wells.  I think we'll have a good time hanging out and being bros for a few weeks...that is if you like Nickelback.  You do like Nickelback, right???

Sincerely,
Scott Thigpen

My book on the 2013 Tour Divide|http://www.amazon.com/Trail-Magic-Art-Soft-Pedaling-ebook/dp/B00NJQZ6GK

Topic Name: TD 2013 Letters of Intent Reply #6 on: February 07, 2013, 08:37:26 AM
Skywalker

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2013, 08:37:26 AM »

Scott, that's enough with the nickelback!!!

Topic Name: TD 2013 Letters of Intent Reply #7 on: February 07, 2013, 10:53:59 AM
sthig

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2013, 10:53:59 AM »

Scott, that's enough with the nickelback!!!
Wink

My book on the 2013 Tour Divide|http://www.amazon.com/Trail-Magic-Art-Soft-Pedaling-ebook/dp/B00NJQZ6GK

Topic Name: TD 2013 Letters of Intent Reply #8 on: February 07, 2013, 10:54:48 AM
sthig

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2013, 10:54:48 AM »

It's an ongoing joke

Topic Name: TD 2013 Letters of Intent Reply #9 on: February 07, 2013, 12:20:54 PM
LenzMan

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2013, 12:20:54 PM »

2013 LOI - I'm in! Added my name to the spreadsheet......all good!

Topic Name: TD 2013 Letters of Intent Reply #10 on: February 07, 2013, 12:55:38 PM
Endurance Junkie

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2013, 12:55:38 PM »

Max morris from the dirty T!
Had so much fun last year, im gonna get after it again!
For those that say it's just jeep roads?
It's so much more...
See you in june

Finding myself by way of bike

Topic Name: TD 2013 Letters of Intent Reply #11 on: February 07, 2013, 01:02:06 PM
LenzMan

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 07, 2013, 01:02:06 PM »

Max, Steven here, from 2012.... See ya again in June.... Looking forward to the ass kicking!!!

Topic Name: TD 2013 Letters of Intent Reply #12 on: February 12, 2013, 03:18:03 PM
kcampagna

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: February 12, 2013, 03:18:03 PM »

Ready for an adventure of a lifetime. Ready to suffer and smile at the same time. Ready to get away from it all and pedal my bike from Canada to Mexico, all day, every day, for 3 weeks. Thanks to all the support back home for helping me get this far. See you in June.

Topic Name: TD 2013 Letters of Intent Reply #13 on: February 14, 2013, 12:40:43 PM
MattL

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 14, 2013, 12:40:43 PM »

To whom it may concern and also to those who are completely unconcerned with me, I, Matthew Liggett, being of sound mind and only moderately battered body, do hereby declare my intention to line up in Banff, Alberta in June 2013 in a contest of Hostess® Fruit Pie eating and chocolate milk drinking.  I have been honing my skills over the winter and have the excess pounds to prove it!  I have read the scrawlings of my competition and I fear they have completely missed the point.  Much of the discussion seems to be about bicycles, clothing, and sleeping equipment.  Y’all better wake up and start seriously training, or you’re going to be in for a world of pain, delivered straight from the [congested] heart of Silicon Valley, Republic of California.

Your very serious threat,
Matthew Liggett
New Year's Eve, 2012

I finished the 2013 TD.  I did the whole damn thing,
excluding the 2013 detours, in good style and—as
far as I know—totally in accordance with the rules.

Topic Name: TD 2013 Letters of Intent Reply #14 on: February 14, 2013, 01:01:09 PM
LenzMan

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 14, 2013, 01:01:09 PM »

FOUR months people!! see ya'll in Banff!!

Topic Name: TD 2013 Letters of Intent Reply #15 on: February 21, 2013, 10:23:02 AM
lotojarich

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 21, 2013, 10:23:02 AM »

This is finally my year!! Have been obsessed with this race for 4 years. Now the stars have alined and my family has given my the go ahead. Will be in Bannf, with my single-speed for the start on June 14, 2013. Am so looking forward to the adventure and the challenge!

Rich Otterstrom
Salt Lake City, UT

Topic Name: TD 2013 Letters of Intent Reply #16 on: February 24, 2013, 01:18:55 PM
brooklyn

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 24, 2013, 01:18:55 PM »

I intend to once again line up at the start of the Tour Divide in Banff on June 14, 2013; ready to suffer, get dirty, cold, and hungry. I'm also ready to enjoy the beautiful scenery, wildlife, the great people along the way, and just the beauty of being out in the middle of nowhere.

Prentiss

Topic Name: TD 2013 Letters of Intent Reply #17 on: March 08, 2013, 08:43:38 PM
Flinch

grandpasbikelife.blogspot.com

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: March 08, 2013, 08:43:38 PM »

For 2013...

Curse the day the 'Obsession' descended upon me! My days and nights are tormented with endless network searches for Tour lore, reading and re-reading Tour books, waking at night with feelings of guilt at not having taken that last hill at full pace, building a bike trailer, and explaining to my wife, for the tenth time, why I am a perfectly sane 62 year old, and not crazy at all.

The torment will be exorcised by riding fast enough to lose those demons chasing me, and end at the finish, where tired beyond belief, smelly, sweaty, hungry and thirsty, I can scream wild-eyed to the desert that "Never again will I ride the Divide!! Never!" (while the demons whisper that, yes, you can be faster, and perhaps next year...)

Glen
Reno NV

And once the Race is over, you won't remember how you made it through, how you managed to survive. You won't even be sure whether the Race is really over. But one thing is certain. When you come out of the Race, you won't be the same person who rode in. That's what the Race is all about.

Topic Name: TD 2013 Letters of Intent Reply #18 on: March 13, 2013, 07:44:29 PM
GregT

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: March 13, 2013, 07:44:29 PM »

I'll be lining up for the GD in Banff.  I live in the Bow Valley.  Around June 2008, I happened to be in the Banff Post Office and saw these 3 guys who were getting ready to do some serious riding by the look of their bikes.  I talked to one one of the guys (I believe it was Matthew Lee) and he told me about the Tour Divide.  Ever since, I have followed this race and the characters around it.  Anyways, I plan to ride my bike to work on June 14th, forget to turn right and keep on going to Mexico.  This is the year!

Greg
Canmore, Ab

Topic Name: TD 2013 Letters of Intent Reply #19 on: March 19, 2013, 11:27:41 AM
pablito

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 19, 2013, 11:27:41 AM »

Dear Divide,

I'm in.

Love,
Paul

Paul Vaughn
Salt Lake City, Utah
  Pages: [1] 2
Reply New Topic New Poll
Jump to: