Pages: 1 [2]
Reply Reply New Topic New Poll
  Topic Name: TD 2013 Letters of Intent Reply #20 on: March 19, 2013, 01:45:36 PM
Bsimpson

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 19, 2013, 01:45:36 PM »

This is to serve as my letter of intent for the Tour Divide 2013. Ever since I learned of this route and race several years ago it has occupied a place in the back of my mind.  At the time I never thought I'd find myself considering a bike race of this magnitude as I was focused on other adventures.  While dreaming of my next adventure last summer it suddenly clicked, it was the Tour Divide.  I didn't tell anyone of my intentions as I sorted it out in my head and soon found myself on a recon trip of the Montana section last summer.  Wile on that trail I realized this race was exactly what I was looking for. 

I've  now spent nearly a year preparing myself both mentally and physically.  Over that time I knew there would be a series of ups and downs, just like there would be on the race.  Now I'm in the final stages of planning and prepping and can't wait for June 14th to roll around to begin.  I've prepared myself as we'll as I can and asked myself and answered hundreds of questions about what I'll have to contend with. 

Most importantly I've been able to rally a community of support.  While they won't be on the course with me they will be in my head cheering me along.  When I'm on a upswing I will feel their support and when I'm feeling down I will be able to think about all of the people who are psyched of my attempt.  I've had tremendous support from my work, bike shop, local outdoor store, coach and most importantly my girlfriend Morgan.  Without her support and understanding I would never be able to attempt this race.  I'm grateful to have someone who understands and accepts this need I have to push myself, or as she calls it "recreational suffering."

I look forward to meeting all the other racers at the starting line in Banff and beginning our grand adventure.

Brett Simpson
Danville, PA

Topic Name: TD 2013 Letters of Intent Reply #21 on: March 19, 2013, 04:50:06 PM
Sime

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 19, 2013, 04:50:06 PM »

I post my letter of intent for the Tour Divide Race 2013.

Eric Sime

« Last Edit: March 19, 2013, 04:53:33 PM by Sime » Logged

Topic Name: TD 2013 Letters of Intent Reply #22 on: March 19, 2013, 09:24:42 PM
Foster

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 19, 2013, 09:24:42 PM »

Well it looks like I couldn't resist so I am coming back this year.  Despite how painful last year was I had too much fun, a combination of #1, #2 and #3 fun that is.  The kind of fun that when 6 months go by after the race you forget about all the pain and suffering, somehow all you remember is how awesome everything was only to come back the next year and you're wondering while riding how could I have forgotten how damn hard the thing was.  I guess that's how these kinds of things go, we just never learn. 

Looking forward to seeing everyone in Banff in just a couple months.

Eric Foster 

Go big or stay home

Topic Name: TD 2013 Letters of Intent Reply #23 on: April 14, 2013, 11:45:43 AM
Long Haul Greg

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 14, 2013, 11:45:43 AM »

14 April, 2013
Esteemed TD Community of Practice,
   This note serves as this year's letter of intent.  Last year marked my first lineup with you all in Banff for the Grand Depart.  Sadly, I made very poor time in the early days of the Canada/Montana snow traverses, eating up too much of my leave time.  I made the difficult decision to come off-route on the way into Kremmling, CO.  I used the low-country roads to make a beeline for the border at El Paso/Juarez.
   Fast-forward a year and I'm a much wiser man, at least when it comes to TD preparations.  I've joined the 29er crowd, and I've traded my derailleurs for an internal gear hub.  Having screwed up my front derailleur on last year's TD'12 and then again during last October's Allegheny Mountains Loop 400, I didn't have a very good track record of adventure biking and derailleurs.  Last November during Veteran's Day Weekend, I repeated the AML400, and I had similar misfortune.  This time, it was my rear derailleur which proved to be vulnerable to my trailblazing antics.
   I've systematically replaced last year's shortfalls with 29" wheels and a Spot Brands Rocker SS outfitted with a Rohloff IGH.  TD'13 is my "No Excuses" Tour.  I'll be riding to call awareness to Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis (ALS), a.k.a. Lou Gehrig’s Disease, using word of mouth and this year's website:  http://longhaulgreg.wordpress.com/

Topic Name: TD 2013 Letters of Intent Reply #24 on: May 03, 2013, 01:33:34 PM
tlane3of6

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 03, 2013, 01:33:34 PM »

I've been on the spreadsheet since October and bought my ticket to Banff.  Time to make it official!  I intend to start with the Grand Depart on June 14, 2013 and finish the Tour Divide at Antelope Wells, NM.

Count me IN! 

Topic Name: TD 2013 Letters of Intent Reply #25 on: May 14, 2013, 07:30:40 AM
ron

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 14, 2013, 07:30:40 AM »

I intend to race the Tour Divide as a part of the Grand Depart on June 14th, 2013.

Cheerfully,
Ron Babington

Topic Name: TD 2013 Letters of Intent Reply #26 on: May 18, 2013, 10:04:15 AM
bpeschka

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 18, 2013, 10:04:15 AM »

I'll be racing TD in 2013

South Bound ITT, starting June 7th.

29" Surly Ogre
no suspensoin
2x10 gearing

I look forward to meeting each of you as you catch and pass me on the trail.  ;}

Bill Peschka
Chandler, AZ
« Last Edit: May 18, 2013, 10:22:31 AM by bpeschka » Logged

Topic Name: TD 2013 Letters of Intent Reply #27 on: May 27, 2013, 06:02:16 PM
DocTrike

Adventure & Ultra tricyclist.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: May 27, 2013, 06:02:16 PM »

I am not sure what happened but my LOI post has disappeared. As stated on the Google sign up sheet, I am once again planning on contesting this race in 2013 and plan to race a trike, however I may switch to a recumbent bike. I am planning for a June GD, however my departure date may be delayed do to logistics.

I sent my LOI e-mail to Matt twice on 4/28 and agin e-mailed him a reminder on 5/12 with note about TDR site being down.

Ultra Adventure Triker, Digital Nomad
  Pages: 1 [2]
Reply New Topic New Poll
Jump to: