Cosmo K

View Profile
« Reply #1620 on: June 25, 2012, 09:49:01 AM »

Great job Craig!  thumbsup

Topic Name: TD'12 Race Discussion Reply #1621 on: June 25, 2012, 09:51:39 AM
wilver

View Profile
« Reply #1621 on: June 25, 2012, 09:51:39 AM »

:thumbsup:Awesome job Craig! I was rooting for all the way. Congratulations on a job well done! Thanks for making this race so exciting.

Topic Name: TD'12 Race Discussion Reply #1622 on: June 25, 2012, 10:00:44 AM
Blackhound

View Profile
« Reply #1622 on: June 25, 2012, 10:00:44 AM »

Pleased Craig got to finish and in a good time as well.  I am sure he is disappointed in the way the race ended though.

If he finished at 11.45 pm I doubt he got a card, the post closes at 4pm iirc - last year it was operated by 1 guy on a single shift.  I think there were plans to change this, ongoing construction last year, but doubt it is manned 24 hours.

Topic Name: TD'12 Race Discussion Reply #1623 on: June 25, 2012, 10:03:18 AM
mtbcast

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1623 on: June 25, 2012, 10:03:18 AM »

I'm on tenterhooks regarding Craig. ...

But maybe we have a bit of a lull here. So I have a couple questions... Someone recently mentioned SPOTS and security in a rather grave fashion. Have they ever really been an issue? Has a racer ever been harmed in some way due to SPOT info? My impression of bad people is that they are stupid ... opportunists, usually drunk, not web-savvy or educated as to what an event like this might actually in fact be. As if someone could be aware of the event (or any event) and then decide to harm a racer. That's not my imagination/experience as to how crime/harm works. Has it happened? I declare that I doubt it. But let's see...

I've had security concerns myself when traveling/biking solo. Do most folks in this event basically just carry bear-spray?

How are the locals? My impression is that cellphones and electric dog fences have greatly improved biking safety, but drunkenness and ragers still have to be out there. I mostly bike near habitation. Who knows, maybe Economic Hard Times increases stress... Are there areas that are worse for it, like does it get worse in more blighted areas? (I've heard that poor people are actually nicer to travelers but maybe that's more of a global thing and not referencing poor Americans who might be problematic. ?)

On rider safety, other than bears and a couple of stolen bikes this call and this call from Jeff Kerby are about as close to danger from outsiders as we've gotten.  icon_biggrin

JP - MTBCast.com

Topic Name: TD'12 Race Discussion Reply #1624 on: June 25, 2012, 10:04:24 AM
RootingforEveryone

View Profile
« Reply #1624 on: June 25, 2012, 10:04:24 AM »

Eric Foster:  I don't know where your spot went, but it looks like it trailed off the map entirely, and then came back!! Did you have an encounter with aliens you're not telling us about?? :-)

Topic Name: TD'12 Race Discussion Reply #1625 on: June 25, 2012, 10:06:38 AM
DenisVTT

View Profile
« Reply #1625 on: June 25, 2012, 10:06:38 AM »

TB and Fixie Dave passed each other. Question to those who race... do you stop to chat with someone coming from the other way? Just wave? or just continue on?

As a Nobo last year, I passed around 50 Sobo riders between the top of Boreas Pass (leader Kurt Refsnider) and the end of the Wyoming Basin. I stopped every single time, although some were in small groups of 2 or 3 so it's not 50 stops. We usually chatted a few minutes, exchanged info on what was to come (weather, road conditions, snow stretches, etc...). Always very friendly. Some of those encounters I still remember like it was yesterday.

PS: Congrats to Craig! Great job overcoming the adversity.  thumbsup

- Denis aka Ze Diesel

Topic Name: TD'12 Race Discussion Reply #1626 on: June 25, 2012, 10:09:28 AM
DaveG

View Profile
« Reply #1626 on: June 25, 2012, 10:09:28 AM »

Agreed - Great job Craig - glad to hear you made it in safely! Pushing through adversity can mold or define people - your mechanical has helped to define what an incredible athlete and competitor you are. We're all in awe!

Topic Name: TD'12 Race Discussion Reply #1627 on: June 25, 2012, 10:17:08 AM
RootingforEveryone

View Profile
« Reply #1627 on: June 25, 2012, 10:17:08 AM »

Looks like Cjell is dealing with some stormy weather...

Topic Name: TD'12 Race Discussion Reply #1628 on: June 25, 2012, 10:20:47 AM
Adam Alphabet

View Profile
« Reply #1628 on: June 25, 2012, 10:20:47 AM »

Amazing Performance Craig! It was inspiring to follow your efforts on this incredible route the last couple of years. Really happy to hear you are safe and you got your finish. What a ride! Great job man!

@adamalphabet

Topic Name: TD'12 Race Discussion Reply #1629 on: June 25, 2012, 10:22:07 AM
2wheeler

View Profile
« Reply #1629 on: June 25, 2012, 10:22:07 AM »

Nice work Craig, great finish.  Glad you're not stuck in a laundromat somewhere in New Mexico!

Topic Name: TD'12 Race Discussion Reply #1630 on: June 25, 2012, 10:30:02 AM
DenisVTT

View Profile
« Reply #1630 on: June 25, 2012, 10:30:02 AM »

I'm on tenterhooks regarding Craig. ...

But maybe we have a bit of a lull here. So I have a couple questions... Someone recently mentioned SPOTS and security in a rather grave fashion. Have they ever really been an issue? Has a racer ever been harmed in some way due to SPOT info? My impression of bad people is that they are stupid ... opportunists, usually drunk, not web-savvy or educated as to what an event like this might actually in fact be. As if someone could be aware of the event (or any event) and then decide to harm a racer. That's not my imagination/experience as to how crime/harm works. Has it happened? I declare that I doubt it. But let's see...

I've had security concerns myself when traveling/biking solo. Do most folks in this event basically just carry bear-spray?

How are the locals? My impression is that cellphones and electric dog fences have greatly improved biking safety, but drunkenness and ragers still have to be out there. I mostly bike near habitation. Who knows, maybe Economic Hard Times increases stress... Are there areas that are worse for it, like does it get worse in more blighted areas? (I've heard that poor people are actually nicer to travelers but maybe that's more of a global thing and not referencing poor Americans who might be problematic. ?)

I'm not aware that there ever been an issue. I think Fixie Dave had his bike stolen one year but not sure the circumstances so I'll let others comment on it if warranted.

As far as I was concerned, I felt VERY safe on the TD. Never had any concerns. First off, most of your time is simply in too isolated areas to be a concern. To give you an example, when I crossed the 140-mile long Divide Basin, I saw a grand total of 2 cars and 4 southbound riders. That's it for humans. There were also hundreds of antelopes, but I don't think they wanted to steal my bike.

Even in areas with some human population, I didn't have any problem. OK, maybe I wished I had a bike lock when leaving my bike outside of a supermarket in a larger city. But I left it outside unlocked and nothing ever happened.

In fact, I must say that it was actually the reverse feeling I came out of this experience with: people along the Divide are very, very kind. I woke up several motel owners in the middle of the night and never had anyone even remotely grumble. After leaving too early one morning, the owner of the Laughing Horse B&B owner near Swan Lake brought me the breakfast I had missed on the side of a dirt road a good 45 minutes from his place (you can read the rest of that story in the Cordillera 3  thumbsup ). A lady near Helena stopped to offer me a ride in the middle of a thunderstorm, and then when I declined apologized for slowing me down (which was kinda funny, since I had another 600 miles to go!)

Oh, and I didn't carry bear spray. I was too preoccupied trying to catch the guy in front of me and I forgot. I did have a small loudspeaker on my bike playing French rap though, and that scared the bears just as well (although Celine Dion might have scared them even more!)  headbang

- Denis aka Ze Diesel

Topic Name: TD'12 Race Discussion Reply #1631 on: June 25, 2012, 10:34:46 AM
bikingbakke

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1631 on: June 25, 2012, 10:34:46 AM »

Craig,

You've got a ton of relieved and proud fans in Calgary.  You have a very happy, and now very very relieved family too that had been glued to the screen for the last couple of weeks; I just chatted with your mom and felt the smile beaming through the phone.  Contgrats on a superb finish, superb riding the whole way, and a lifetime of stories.  And thanks for the drama of following a riveting story the whole way along.

Once you're clean and settled, the most indulgent, calorific meal you can handle is on the deadgoats - just that we need to see the receipt so we can marvel at the calorie count and random menu cravings and have a good laugh when you're back.  Tim said he'd be waiting with a cheque!

Since you're more or less riding the same bike Kabush is for racing, I think Scott should cut you a deal as you've proven race light equipment can hold up too.  Let those Enve rim sponsorships roll in... and a lifetime supply of XTR pedals ; )

I hope everyone else makes it to Antelope Wells too who's still out there!

Topic Name: TD'12 Race Discussion Reply #1632 on: June 25, 2012, 10:40:24 AM
bobloblaw

View Profile
« Reply #1632 on: June 25, 2012, 10:40:24 AM »

Looks like Cjell is dealing with some stormy weather...

There was a heavy but relatively brief rainstorm in Fernie this morning but it's much nicer now - it is likely pretty similar where he is.  However, his weather will likely get worse again tomorrow, with quite a bit of rain in the forecast from the border all the way to Banff.

Topic Name: TD'12 Race Discussion Reply #1633 on: June 25, 2012, 10:41:25 AM
fahrenbd

View Profile
« Reply #1633 on: June 25, 2012, 10:41:25 AM »

Congratulations to Craig, what a great ride!! It has been very fun to watch everyone on the TD this year and to see the Leaders take off from the rest.  I so admire all of the riders, what an effort you all have given and still giving to those who are riding.  

Shouts out to ALL the volunteers who have helped bring us at home a glimpse of what is happening on the road.  It is because of all of you that we know our loved ones are safe and moving forward.  The pictures of the riders and the hospitality of the places are all part of the great support for the TD bikers.  We are grateful and thankful to all of you out there who welcome these warriors at your places headbang 

MTBcast thanks for all the updates and the great news.  Love that they have an option to call in and totally understand that some won't use it, but appreciate those that call in.  Happy and surprised our son has called in a couple times, as this is out of his comfort zone!!  

I am definitely hooked on TD and will watch till the last rider is done and already looking forward to years of being an armchair supporter.  Cheers to all of the riders and to those who had to leave due to illness, my prayers are with all of you for complete healing.  Hope all is going well thumbsup
Diana Fahrenbruck

Topic Name: TD'12 Race Discussion Reply #1634 on: June 25, 2012, 10:50:20 AM
bikingbakke

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1634 on: June 25, 2012, 10:50:20 AM »

With respect to weather in the rockies comments... I spoke with some guys who mountain biked in Fernie this weekend, and said it was torrential.  That's a little west of the route.  I was say probably only 40-50k east of the route with my office crowd on a charity ride that camped overnight, and suffice to say the rains were "biblical".  Here's the pictures to paint the feel of it.

* RTCC - 1.jpg (99.18 KB, 960x720 - viewed 738 times.)

* RTCC - 2.jpg (76.64 KB, 720x960 - viewed 740 times.)

Topic Name: TD'12 Race Discussion Reply #1635 on: June 25, 2012, 10:51:32 AM
Websissy

View Profile
« Reply #1635 on: June 25, 2012, 10:51:32 AM »

Congratulations Craig on pushing through!  Enjoy Tucson (my hometown)!  If you want any tips about places to go eat or have a cold one - let me know  icon_biggrin

Topic Name: TD'12 Race Discussion Reply #1636 on: June 25, 2012, 10:52:46 AM
gramma

View Profile
« Reply #1636 on: June 25, 2012, 10:52:46 AM »

We are all so pleased that Craig finished. Thanks to everyone for all your support and help.

Topic Name: TD'12 Race Discussion Reply #1637 on: June 25, 2012, 11:00:47 AM
J@yk@y

View Profile
« Reply #1637 on: June 25, 2012, 11:00:47 AM »

Congrats Craig, it Craig Stappler day today in my house in Calgary.  Very inspirational performance.

JK

Topic Name: TD'12 Race Discussion Reply #1638 on: June 25, 2012, 11:02:45 AM
sjanes

View Profile
« Reply #1638 on: June 25, 2012, 11:02:45 AM »

I've been following (and I am inspired by) the Tour Divide for many years.....this year has been very exciting....BUT... the access to information has been pretty BAD.

The "Tour Divide" website is only good for the Trackerboard with its 'Spot'-ty info which is some time hours and/or days off of current time....ALL of the other Tour Divide website feature that were happening in previous years, were not happen this year.

MTB Cast is great but the riders don't call-in for days....nothing can be done about that...It's great to have the 'human' side of the story with real voices and funny details.

This site (Bikepacking Ultra Racing forum) has been a good source of info....BUT...it's a public forum with opinions & comments etc. etc...... Just getting the straight info can be challenging.

LIKE..... what happend with 2nd...3rd...4th....place riders?Huh? .....what time did they turn in?Huh???  Their Spot trackers are no longer on the leaderboard......Ollie got first place.... the rest got forgotten?Huh?  

Can someone please act as the "News Reporter" on one of the websites and come up with some posting of useful info  (like finish times....or other facts & figures)
Sombody needs to chill.... glasses2

Topic Name: TD'12 Race Discussion Reply #1639 on: June 25, 2012, 11:08:12 AM
Adrienne

View Profile
« Reply #1639 on: June 25, 2012, 11:08:12 AM »

Congrats Craig! So glad to hear you arrived safe. Thanks everyone for all your support. We can't wait for Craig to come home.
  Pages: 1 ... 80 81 [82] 83 84 ... 128
Reply New Topic New Poll
Jump to: