Pages: 1 ... 23 24 [25] 26 27 ... 128
Reply Reply New Topic New Poll
  Topic Name: TD'12 Race Discussion Reply #480 on: June 14, 2012, 08:53:08 AM
Roland Sturm

View Profile WWW
« Reply #480 on: June 14, 2012, 08:53:08 AM »

Its interesting to compare Katherine and Eszter. Katherine is about 65 miles behind Eszter this morning but her moving average speed is actually faster than Eszter's. Unfortunately for Katherine, Eszter has been moving 17 more hrs! So it may come down to who does best with the least sleep and which stategy is best---hit it hard and require more recovery or slow and steady for extra long days.

That may be a misinterpretation of the spot numbers, which aren't necessarily reflecting what is going on the ground - depends on when spots are on and off at night and morning. So taking the averages it shows at face value can be misleading. Having been in a race with Eszter, Katherine, and Tracey earlier this year, it is also not my impression. Take a look at Stagecoach 400. http://socalenduro.wordpress.com/stagecoach-400/2012-results/
Eszter rides fast, very fast, and sleeps little. Her moving speed is up there with the fastest racers (I wouldn't try to keep up even for a few hours). Maybe she sleeps more than JayP, but that's about it. JayP doesn't like people to look at his Spot (and keeps it turned off more often than on), unfortunately, so we don't really know what he did (stop or ride), but assuming he didn't sleep at night, Eszter rode faster than JayP on average. Katherine may be new to racing and it seems unlikely that she would try to push her limits, not knowing what they are. She is just great pacing herself. Steady pace, steady hours. Not that she's slow, I vividly remember her catching me on a long climb at night and I tried to hold her pace for an hour before I had to drop off. But Eszter will ride faster and longer hours than pretty much everybody and that's why she is in the top group out of which the overall winner will emerge, whereas Katherine and Tracey (very experienced rider) are likely to be among the faster overall finishers, top 1/4 of all starters.  
« Last Edit: June 14, 2012, 09:06:04 AM by Roland Sturm » Logged

Topic Name: TD'12 Race Discussion Reply #481 on: June 14, 2012, 08:54:45 AM
IanPeace

View Profile
« Reply #481 on: June 14, 2012, 08:54:45 AM »

It appears that Craig Stappler has just missed a right turn and continued straight on Cave Falls. This just after the separation from Olli.

Topic Name: TD'12 Race Discussion Reply #482 on: June 14, 2012, 08:54:57 AM
DenisVTT

View Profile
« Reply #482 on: June 14, 2012, 08:54:57 AM »

I'm sure this is out there somewhere, but I've yet to find it. Can someone explain how the riders keep their GPS, lights, spots, MP3's, etc. charged? This has perplexed me for the past several years. I've had enough with hoping I find it - can someone educate me please? Thanks!

Basically the key is to make sure as many as possible of those things work on AA or AAA batteries. Pretty much every convenience store, no matter how small, carries those.

- Denis aka Ze Diesel

Topic Name: TD'12 Race Discussion Reply #483 on: June 14, 2012, 09:01:14 AM
ride MT

View Profile
« Reply #483 on: June 14, 2012, 09:01:14 AM »

It appears that Craig Stappler has just missed a right turn and continued straight on Cave Falls. This just after the separation from Olli.
Now things may get more interesting!

Topic Name: TD'12 Race Discussion Reply #484 on: June 14, 2012, 09:08:15 AM
bobloblaw

View Profile
« Reply #484 on: June 14, 2012, 09:08:15 AM »

@Jill Homer--Thanks for the insights. As I was just comparing Katherine and Ezster's rest strategies, I was surprised to see that there is almost a full day difference in stopped time yet only about 60-70 miles separating them. I'm guessing that Katherine has been taking more of those brief, pause and admire the beauty of where you are, moments. When I'm mentally bonking on a long ride, I find that these pauses rejuvenate me and I always ride faster and with more joy just after them.  

If you look closer, you can see that Eszter has actually stopped for about 42 hours at night (10 hours more than the calculated stop time), but the calculation on her page is skewed because her spot didn't log a point until she was already down the road a bit in the morning - so some nights would not have had any stops recorded - just a low speed all night.  

Topic Name: TD'12 Race Discussion Reply #485 on: June 14, 2012, 09:11:23 AM
caseygreene

View Profile WWW
« Reply #485 on: June 14, 2012, 09:11:23 AM »

I don't think Craig has gotten lost, he seems to be at the Timberline Golf Course where he can resupply.

Cartographer - Adventure Cycling Association

Topic Name: TD'12 Race Discussion Reply #486 on: June 14, 2012, 09:13:36 AM
woody

View Profile
« Reply #486 on: June 14, 2012, 09:13:36 AM »

Noticed that Dave Nice is on Boreas Pass road proper...instead of heading for the Gold Dust route.

I remember seeing that Gold Dust had been added. Anyone know the details? Is Dave off route or was there an option??

Gold Dust is only for SoBo.

Woody

Topic Name: TD'12 Race Discussion Reply #487 on: June 14, 2012, 09:45:24 AM
DaveG

View Profile
« Reply #487 on: June 14, 2012, 09:45:24 AM »

Basically the key is to make sure as many as possible of those things work on AA or AAA batteries. Pretty much every convenience store, no matter how small, carries those.

Thanks RCtracker and Denis. RCtracker - is the solar panel worn on the back while riding? Denis - I've heard of lights that run on aa/aaa batteries, but didn't figure they'd  work very well. I do remember reading though that Jefe and/or Kurt used them - and obviously they both rode a lot at night. For the GPS do you get a GPS that uses regular batteries or some kind of USB charger using batteries? I'll go on record now as saying anyone who can do the TD must be a logistical genius.

Topic Name: TD'12 Race Discussion Reply #488 on: June 14, 2012, 09:49:26 AM
Area45

View Profile
« Reply #488 on: June 14, 2012, 09:49:26 AM »

Use a GPS that runs on AA batteries. That's your best bet. I used my iPhone to listen to podcasts as I rode. I put in Airplane mode and the battery lasted much longer. Every time I stopped to eat I'd find a plug and top off the battery while I was there. I never ran out of juice.

I used a dyno hub that powered my headlight and had the capability to power my GPS and charge my phone as well. Worked well for me. Rob Roberts had a similar setup.

Topic Name: TD'12 Race Discussion Reply #489 on: June 14, 2012, 09:55:10 AM
Climb On

Escendo Ergo Existo

View Profile
« Reply #489 on: June 14, 2012, 09:55:10 AM »

If you look closer, you can see that Eszter has actually stopped for about 42 hours at night (10 hours more than the calculated stop time), but the calculation on her page is skewed because her spot didn't log a point until she was already down the road a bit in the morning - so some nights would not have had any stops recorded - just a low speed all night.  
Got it and thanks. Based on that, I guess route distance per day is the best predictor.

Topic Name: TD'12 Race Discussion Reply #490 on: June 14, 2012, 10:01:36 AM
DenisVTT

View Profile
« Reply #490 on: June 14, 2012, 10:01:36 AM »

Denis - I've heard of lights that run on aa/aaa batteries, but didn't figure they'd  work very well. I do remember reading though that Jefe and/or Kurt used them - and obviously they both rode a lot at night. For the GPS do you get a GPS that uses regular batteries or some kind of USB charger using batteries? I'll go on record now as saying anyone who can do the TD must be a logistical genius.

Lots of people use Fenix lights. They don't work as well as other typical night ride lights but they last longer and anyway, this isn't singletrack. You usually are on fairly wide gravel or paved roads with very little traffic so you don't need millions of lumens.

Having a GPS that runs on AA batteries is a must, IMO.

BTW, the Spot's batteries might be the toughest ones to replace. That's because the Spot requires lithium batteries. They last long (a week if you turn it off at night isn't rare), but lithium batteries are often not found in convenience stores. That means if you run out you have to wait until you hit a larger town to replenish. Keep that in mind when you see someone seemingly stopped for a couple days or so on Trackleaders. Could be their Spot batteries.

- Denis aka Ze Diesel

Topic Name: TD'12 Race Discussion Reply #491 on: June 14, 2012, 10:05:52 AM
KRyter

View Profile
« Reply #491 on: June 14, 2012, 10:05:52 AM »

Thanks for the update and posting the pictures. He looks a little tired but it is great to see him in good spirits. I was hopeing to swing into the big hole and watch him come through but didn't make it so this is the next best thing!

Riding conditions look great in Southwest Montana today.  The tandem team and Jarral dropped into the Grasshopper Valley early this morning after spending a chili night up on the Byway.  The tandem team was excited to hit a section they will be able to make good time on.  I have been watching Jarral with interest as I too am a diabetic...what an inspiration.

http://www.crowdrise.com/RacetheTourdividefordiabetes

Topic Name: TD'12 Race Discussion Reply #492 on: June 14, 2012, 10:06:43 AM
JF-mtnbiker

View Profile
« Reply #492 on: June 14, 2012, 10:06:43 AM »

I don't think Craig has gotten lost, he seems to be at the Timberline Golf Course where he can resupply.

Yep. Not alot open as they passed the highway near Island Park early this morning. There is a Subway and a couple gas stations there. The golf course doesn't have much in the way of resupply but they do cook good food. I dropped into there for a cheeseburger when i went through in '10 cause I wasnt sure if I  could get to Flagg Ranch that night. Ended up sleeping on top of the pass that night so I'm glad I ate there. They can get a good meal in Flagg Ranch, however.

Topic Name: TD'12 Race Discussion Reply #493 on: June 14, 2012, 10:10:04 AM
bikingbakke

View Profile WWW
« Reply #493 on: June 14, 2012, 10:10:04 AM »

Interested to hear thoughts from those who have raced before... saw all the earlier discussion on "attack" or just wake up and go one day, to create a gap.  My question would be "when" more than "how"... murphy's law would tell me there's all the probability that something will happen to either Craig or Ollie somewhere in the next 10 days that will create a real gap, not from "racing" - a mechanical, a pulled muscle, a cold, whatever (but let's hope not).  And the attractiveness of riding with someone around (and simply safety issues of animals, hypothermia, etc) seems to be something that'd be worth keeping going at least through Colorado if possible before worrying about brass tacks racing.  But I haven't been there...

Topic Name: TD'12 Race Discussion Reply #494 on: June 14, 2012, 10:16:32 AM
Mauro_N

View Profile
« Reply #494 on: June 14, 2012, 10:16:32 AM »

Ive happened to find this neat portable charging device that could be used to charge a iPod nano or things of that nature, http://www.gomadic.com/

Does anyone have a list of food stops and their location along the route?

Topic Name: TD'12 Race Discussion Reply #495 on: June 14, 2012, 10:23:56 AM
sluttyduck

View Profile WWW
« Reply #495 on: June 14, 2012, 10:23:56 AM »

Yep. Not alot open as they passed the highway near Island Park early this morning. There is a Subway and a couple gas stations there. The golf course doesn't have much in the way of resupply but they do cook good food. I dropped into there for a cheeseburger when i went through in '10 cause I wasnt sure if I  could get to Flagg Ranch that night. Ended up sleeping on top of the pass that night so I'm glad I ate there. They can get a good meal in Flagg Ranch, however.

good to know...is the golf course listed on the maps?

Topic Name: TD'12 Race Discussion Reply #496 on: June 14, 2012, 10:34:05 AM
GAB

View Profile
« Reply #496 on: June 14, 2012, 10:34:05 AM »

Anybody know what GPS unit is used by most riders?  Garmin 800s? Other?

Topic Name: TD'12 Race Discussion Reply #497 on: June 14, 2012, 10:37:26 AM
mikepro

View Profile
« Reply #497 on: June 14, 2012, 10:37:26 AM »

well i think its time to wonder when and if the front guys will ever stop rubbing tires...

go to bed at same time, wake up at same time?
if one goes to the bathroom does the other wait?
will one try and ever get up earlier then the other?
if one cracks do they both crack?

clearly they are encouraging each other (and hopefully not helping each other) but as they ride more and more together they will have a harder time leaving each other.

Ah yes, I've been waiting for the inevitable JayP "hey, y'all, stop holding hands" type of comment.  It's tough to tell from the computer what their relationship is like after 6 days of riding side by side, but I too am wishing for a little solo, or individual, efforts off the front.  Hopefully soon.  A little more like the Kurt v Jefe jousting from last year.

Topic Name: TD'12 Race Discussion Reply #498 on: June 14, 2012, 10:39:21 AM
2wheeler

View Profile
« Reply #498 on: June 14, 2012, 10:39:21 AM »

looks like Craig's Spot might be off?  

Topic Name: TD'12 Race Discussion Reply #499 on: June 14, 2012, 10:41:25 AM
Ryan Correy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #499 on: June 14, 2012, 10:41:25 AM »

Thanks RCtracker and Denis. RCtracker - is the solar panel worn on the back while riding? Denis - I've heard of lights that run on aa/aaa batteries, but didn't figure they'd  work very well. I do remember reading though that Jefe and/or Kurt used them - and obviously they both rode a lot at night. For the GPS do you get a GPS that uses regular batteries or some kind of USB charger using batteries? I'll go on record now as saying anyone who can do the TD must be a logistical genius.

I believe the solar charger is attached to the bag on the back of his bike. Should be interesting to see how it held up, though I haven't heard any complaints about it yet.

Ryan Correy
Adventure Cyclist & Fueling Guru for Hammer Nutrition Canada
  Pages: 1 ... 23 24 [25] 26 27 ... 128
Reply New Topic New Poll
Jump to: