Pages: 1 ... 22 23 [24] 25 26 ... 128
Reply Reply New Topic New Poll
  Topic Name: TD'12 Race Discussion Reply #460 on: June 14, 2012, 07:34:41 AM
Climb On

Escendo Ergo Existo

View Profile
« Reply #460 on: June 14, 2012, 07:34:41 AM »

Speaking of the ladies... Its interesting to compare Katherine and Eszter. Katherine is about 65 miles behind Eszter this morning but her moving average speed is actually faster than Eszter's. Unfortunately for Katherine, Eszter has been moving 17 more hrs! So it may come down to who does best with the least sleep and which stategy is best---hit it hard and require more recovery or slow and steady for extra long days. You go girls.
I'm curious to see which strategy pays off as well. During last year's race discussion, Jill Homer stated that she focused on getting adequate rest the year she set the record. If Katherine chooses to rest less and/or Eszter's shorter rests catch up to her, we could be watching an awesome battle for both 1st and the women's record. I've been studying the various strategies of these two and other riders of similar pace to plan for a 2013 attempt. I know I can't maintain a 150+/day pace, so the riders in the 120-140/day range offer more insight to me. Eszter's miles/day has been slowly, but steadily, dropping. I realize there are numerous variables (weather, terrain, mechanicals, pains, moods, etc.). Jill Homer's posts last year sounded as though she could have pushed harder and rested less, so I'm thinking that Eszter and Katherine will be making tough, risky decisions as the race goes on. Lastly, when Josh Schifferly crashed, I was guessing that this caused Eszter, his wife, a significant delay. Therefore her miles/day may begin increasing as the days roll on. Thanks for the note on 'avg moving speed'. I hadn't been watching that as much as miles/day. The when, and how long, to rest decisions may be the most difficult ones for rookies.                  

Topic Name: TD'12 Race Discussion Reply #461 on: June 14, 2012, 07:46:15 AM
Jilleo

View Profile WWW
« Reply #461 on: June 14, 2012, 07:46:15 AM »

I've always said, the TD isn't about who's the fastest, it's about who can ride the longest.

As the TD site says, 'decidedly not for sprinters'.

I've given this quite a bit of thought and while I completely agree, I still think it's a tough balance for each individual to find. Just a little extra rest and recovery can pay huge dividends, while simply resolving to ride longer hours could be a game of diminishing returns. For all but the most focused pedaling machines, burnout can be as large of a threat to finishing as injury or mechanicals. I think the best chance of overall success (finishing in one's own goal time) is a combination of dedication, flexibility, experience, luck, and fitness, in that order of importance.

It is true that willingness to give up creature comforts is perhaps the best single strategy to gaining ground in this race, and limiting stopped time is key. But I still think it's important to find that balance of physical effort and mental stamina, ever-elusive because the former weighs so heavily against the latter.

Every day is an adventure http://arcticglass.blogspot.com

Topic Name: TD'12 Race Discussion Reply #462 on: June 14, 2012, 07:55:31 AM
Jilleo

View Profile WWW
« Reply #462 on: June 14, 2012, 07:55:31 AM »

Lastly, when Josh Schifferly crashed, I was guessing that this caused Eszter, his wife, a significant delay. Therefore her miles/day may begin increasing as the days roll on. Thanks for the note on 'avg moving speed'. I hadn't been watching that as much as miles/day. The when, and how long, to rest decisions may be the most difficult ones for rookies.                 
Eszter isn't married to Josh. Her husband is Chris Miller, who rode CTR last year (not riding TD ... something about the mind-numbing tedium of fire roads.)

But you are correct about that last point. I wasted a ton of time in 2009 and it's easy to look back on that now with a critical eye, but at the time every moment of rest seemed necessary.

Topic Name: TD'12 Race Discussion Reply #463 on: June 14, 2012, 07:56:31 AM
Climb On

Escendo Ergo Existo

View Profile
« Reply #463 on: June 14, 2012, 07:56:31 AM »

@Jill Homer--Thanks for the insights. As I was just comparing Katherine and Ezster's rest strategies, I was surprised to see that there is almost a full day difference in stopped time yet only about 60-70 miles separating them. I'm guessing that Katherine has been taking more of those brief, pause and admire the beauty of where you are, moments. When I'm mentally bonking on a long ride, I find that these pauses rejuvenate me and I always ride faster and with more joy just after them.  

Topic Name: TD'12 Race Discussion Reply #464 on: June 14, 2012, 08:04:04 AM
ridingman1

Drinkin' upstream from the herd

View Profile WWW
« Reply #464 on: June 14, 2012, 08:04:04 AM »

Georg Deck has turned around after staying in Butte last night. I hope everything is Okay.  icon_scratch

Topic Name: TD'12 Race Discussion Reply #465 on: June 14, 2012, 08:06:45 AM
DenisVTT

View Profile
« Reply #465 on: June 14, 2012, 08:06:45 AM »

I've given this quite a bit of thought and while I completely agree, I still think it's a tough balance for each individual to find. Just a little extra rest and recovery can pay huge dividends, while simply resolving to ride longer hours could be a game of diminishing returns. For all but the most focused pedaling machines, burnout can be as large of a threat to finishing as injury or mechanicals. I think the best chance of overall success (finishing in one's own goal time) is a combination of dedication, flexibility, experience, luck, and fitness, in that order of importance.

It is true that willingness to give up creature comforts is perhaps the best single strategy to gaining ground in this race, and limiting stopped time is key. But I still think it's important to find that balance of physical effort and mental stamina, ever-elusive because the former weighs so heavily against the latter.

A competitive mind is also a factor. I started going much longer at night once I started to feel I had a fairly decent chance to catch up to the guy in front of me. And I knew from shopkeepers on route that he was having some motivational problems (wondering exactly why he was there, "burnout", as you said). In other words, I "smelled blood", sort of.

But the race also favors people who have certain biological characteristics: skinny (that ain't me!) helps of course, but being a bit camel-like with food and water alike, having a low max HR (which means you usually recover much faster) and not a big sleeper are tremendous advantages.

- Denis aka Ze Diesel

Topic Name: TD'12 Race Discussion Reply #466 on: June 14, 2012, 08:09:42 AM
bshan

View Profile
« Reply #466 on: June 14, 2012, 08:09:42 AM »

So one thing I am becoming more curious about is the time to train for a race such as this. Some of the 100 mile+ road rides have been brutal this spring even though I was spending a fair amount of time on the bike. So, for those in the know, how do you train, how many miles, how much time, do you travel if your hometown conditions are not similar to race/ride conditions?

Topic Name: TD'12 Race Discussion Reply #467 on: June 14, 2012, 08:14:05 AM
DenisVTT

View Profile
« Reply #467 on: June 14, 2012, 08:14:05 AM »

it's easy to look back on that now with a critical eye, but at the time every moment of rest seemed necessary.

It's also where to rest. Arriving in a nice town with motels and restaurants at 7pm when you still have plenty of daylight and the legs to go make for very difficult but critical decisions. Especially when the next town is around 100 miles away.

Get tempted too many times and you easily lose a day or 2 on what could have been a much better finish. It also makes the difference between those who finish under 21 days or so, and the rest of us!

- Denis aka Ze Diesel

Topic Name: TD'12 Race Discussion Reply #468 on: June 14, 2012, 08:14:32 AM
ride MT

View Profile
« Reply #468 on: June 14, 2012, 08:14:32 AM »

The gap from the 2 leaders to SC has grown. Yesterday it was 75 miles. Now it is 112 miles.  12 hours or so at SC's pace. I would stick together for as long as possible if they are able to move faster that way. It is also very possible that one of the two, or both,  is riding faster than they should just to stay with the other. If that is the case they could hit the wall at some point and drop off. Can't wait to see!

Topic Name: TD'12 Race Discussion Reply #469 on: June 14, 2012, 08:28:42 AM
Jilleo

View Profile WWW
« Reply #469 on: June 14, 2012, 08:28:42 AM »

It's also where to rest. Arriving in a nice town with motels and restaurants at 7pm when you still have plenty of daylight and the legs to go make for very difficult but critical decisions. Especially when the next town is around 100 miles away.

Get tempted too many times and you easily lose a day or 2 on what could have been a much better finish. It also makes the difference between those who finish under 21 days or so, and the rest of us!

So true. But I also wonder how well "the rest of us" can really manage those tough decisions. Bypassing all those nice motels and restaurants for another night of crappy sleep in a bivy sack and a candy bar for dinner is great for one night, but what about three? Or Seven? I was constantly leary of getting too close to my perceived cracking point because my dedication was admittedly lacking (hence many "Why am I out here?" moments.)

Still, I'm more convinced now that crappy bivy sack sleep is fine for nightly recovery, as long as nutrition is better managed. I still as much of a candy addict as ever, and think empty calories are fine for "short" races (i.e. fewer than 48 hours.) But I really believe my horrible diet was a hinderance to recovery during the race and the fact I felt like warmed-over roadkill for weeks afterward despite being relatively injury free. Even with 16-18 hours of pedaling a day, I do think it's possible to become stronger or at least maintain strength in the saddle with good, complete nutrition. The question is, how to find it?

Topic Name: TD'12 Race Discussion Reply #470 on: June 14, 2012, 08:31:02 AM
DenisVTT

View Profile
« Reply #470 on: June 14, 2012, 08:31:02 AM »

So one thing I am becoming more curious about is the time to train for a race such as this. Some of the 100 mile+ road rides have been brutal this spring even though I was spending a fair amount of time on the bike. So, for those in the know, how do you train, how many miles, how much time, do you travel if your hometown conditions are not similar to race/ride conditions?

My feeling is that it is such a big race that there is no good way to train adequately for it, unless you're basically a pro and ride year round 5 hours a day.

I made up my mind to race the TD last year on Apr 1. I already had 1000 miles from the first of the year at that point, and my training goal became to duplicate the length of the TD (2750 miles) for the year by start time. Completely artificial goal, but on the other hand, easy to wrap up your mind around it. Plus, it's basically 2,750 miles in 5 months, then 3 weeks to double that. Those are fun stats that make for good memories later!  icon_biggrin

I live on the east coast so my training terrain was a lot of gnarly and rocky singletrack but also plenty of dirt roads and fairly little pavement. With the Catoctin mountains nearby, finding climbs wasn't difficult. Although they're not as long as in the Rockies, you can find enough of them to tie together to make for tough days. Besides, do enough of those 1,000 ft of climbing in 4 of 5 miles and that will put you in decent shape for the TD.

If you live in Florida or other similarly flat place, I can't imagine how you would train for all the climbs. Intensity, maybe? Jeffrey Tomassetti, who lives in Florida and finished in a similar time as mine, might want to chime in.

One thing I couldn't train for is riding at elevation, and that's a huge disadvantage compared to someone who already lives in the Rockies or other similar such high elevation locale. Especially starting from the south where the high mountains start early (you're at 7,000 ft by the second day, 10,000+ by the 4th). I sucked air big time for the first week!

- Denis aka Ze Diesel

Topic Name: TD'12 Race Discussion Reply #471 on: June 14, 2012, 08:32:43 AM
ride MT

View Profile
« Reply #471 on: June 14, 2012, 08:32:43 AM »

But the race also favors people who have certain biological characteristics: skinny (that ain't me!) helps of course, but being a bit camel-like with food and water alike, having a low max HR (which means you usually recover much faster) and not a big sleeper are tremendous advantages.
curious about this. wish they had Ht and Wt stats for the riders. Are the fast folks usually the typical bike racer build? Hard to tell from internet pictures sometimes.

Topic Name: TD'12 Race Discussion Reply #472 on: June 14, 2012, 08:36:11 AM
Russ Kipp

View Profile WWW
« Reply #472 on: June 14, 2012, 08:36:11 AM »

Riding conditions look great in Southwest Montana today.  The tandem team and Jarral dropped into the Grasshopper Valley early this morning after spending a chili night up on the Byway.  The tandem team was excited to hit a section they will be able to make good time on.  I have been watching Jarral with interest as I too am a diabetic...what an inspiration.

http://www.crowdrise.com/RacetheTourdividefordiabetes

* Babe th Blue Tandem.jpg (85.7 KB, 640x480 - viewed 720 times.)

* Jarral.jpg (51.7 KB, 640x480 - viewed 713 times.)

* Jarral @ High Country Lodge.jpg (92.57 KB, 640x511 - viewed 725 times.)

Topic Name: TD'12 Race Discussion Reply #473 on: June 14, 2012, 08:39:18 AM
Coop

View Profile
« Reply #473 on: June 14, 2012, 08:39:18 AM »

I think there is a slight gap growing between Ollie and Craig..

Topic Name: TD'12 Race Discussion Reply #474 on: June 14, 2012, 08:43:04 AM
DenisVTT

View Profile
« Reply #474 on: June 14, 2012, 08:43:04 AM »

curious about this. wish they had Ht and Wt stats for the riders. Are the fast folks usually the typical bike racer build? Hard to tell from internet pictures sometimes.

I'd say yes, although I have no precise stats either.

- Denis aka Ze Diesel

Topic Name: TD'12 Race Discussion Reply #475 on: June 14, 2012, 08:46:55 AM
DaveG

View Profile
« Reply #475 on: June 14, 2012, 08:46:55 AM »

I'm sure this is out there somewhere, but I've yet to find it. Can someone explain how the riders keep their GPS, lights, spots, MP3's, etc. charged? This has perplexed me for the past several years. I've had enough with hoping I find it - can someone educate me please? Thanks!

Topic Name: TD'12 Race Discussion Reply #476 on: June 14, 2012, 08:47:08 AM
Woodland

View Profile WWW
« Reply #476 on: June 14, 2012, 08:47:08 AM »

Noticed that Dave Nice is on Boreas Pass road proper...instead of heading for the Gold Dust route.

I remember seeing that Gold Dust had been added. Anyone know the details? Is Dave off route or was there an option??

Topic Name: TD'12 Race Discussion Reply #477 on: June 14, 2012, 08:48:06 AM
RonDog

View Profile
« Reply #477 on: June 14, 2012, 08:48:06 AM »

I'd say yes, although I have no precise stats either.

.9 mi in 4 min is about the pace they're riding.

Topic Name: TD'12 Race Discussion Reply #478 on: June 14, 2012, 08:50:32 AM
Ryan Correy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #478 on: June 14, 2012, 08:50:32 AM »

I'm sure this is out there somewhere, but I've yet to find it. Can someone explain how the riders keep their GPS, lights, spots, MP3's, etc. charged? This has perplexed me for the past several years. I've had enough with hoping I find it - can someone educate me please? Thanks!

My boyfriend (Ryan Correy) is riding this year and while some of his gear is battery operated with lithium ion batteries, he is also using a solar charger (for his iPod, some lights) which seems to be working out well for him!

Ryan Correy
Adventure Cyclist & Fueling Guru for Hammer Nutrition Canada

Topic Name: TD'12 Race Discussion Reply #479 on: June 14, 2012, 08:52:58 AM
DenisVTT

View Profile
« Reply #479 on: June 14, 2012, 08:52:58 AM »

Noticed that Dave Nice is on Boreas Pass road proper...instead of heading for the Gold Dust route.

I remember seeing that Gold Dust had been added. Anyone know the details? Is Dave off route or was there an option??

I think I remember it not being required of NoBo riders (I think it sucks going up!). I could be wrong.

- Denis aka Ze Diesel
  Pages: 1 ... 22 23 [24] 25 26 ... 128
Reply New Topic New Poll
Jump to: