Pages: 1 ... 125 126 [127] 128
Reply Reply New Topic New Poll
  Topic Name: TD'12 Race Discussion Reply #2520 on: September 12, 2012, 11:25:07 PM
OllieW

View Profile
« Reply #2520 on: September 12, 2012, 11:25:07 PM »

Awesome effort by JayP to smash my record by a solid margin! I followed with interest and a smile while the controversy was brewing on this forum, meanwhile he was doing his solo thing with panache.
His outspoken views have certainly ruffled a few feathers and I wouldn't be surprised if some of the contenders from this years race decide to have another crack at the record.

While some may view JayP's comments as an attack on the style I raced with, it is water off my back and I respect and admire his solo approach. I've experienced a relatively short durations of solo riding (~4 days in this years Kiwi Brevet) and I'm not convinced it is harder or easier either way, just different.

I'm certain that if the indulgent cultural experiences I had along the way in this years Tour were replaced with snappy stops the course could be ridden faster. But with the weather playing such a huge part, if it would be record setting is at the mercy of the omnipotent weather being.

One of the greatest things about the Divide for me was that it consumed more than a year of my life, with decisions and plans all revolving around the event. To back it up year after year in defence of a record could reframe the race from an adventure to an all-consuming obsession. Not sure if this is where I want to be.

So I'm in no hurry to get back on course, but as memories of the minor suffering fade and I finally regain some feeling in my hands, who knows what will happen!

Topic Name: TD'12 Race Discussion Reply #2521 on: September 13, 2012, 11:21:03 AM
T-Race

View Profile
« Reply #2521 on: September 13, 2012, 11:21:03 AM »

awesome!

Topic Name: TD'12 Race Discussion Reply #2522 on: September 13, 2012, 05:04:12 PM
DenisVTT

View Profile
« Reply #2522 on: September 13, 2012, 05:04:12 PM »

Awesome effort by JayP to smash my record by a solid margin! I followed with interest and a smile while the controversy was brewing on this forum, meanwhile he was doing his solo thing with panache.
His outspoken views have certainly ruffled a few feathers and I wouldn't be surprised if some of the contenders from this years race decide to have another crack at the record.

While some may view JayP's comments as an attack on the style I raced with, it is water off my back and I respect and admire his solo approach. I've experienced a relatively short durations of solo riding (~4 days in this years Kiwi Brevet) and I'm not convinced it is harder or easier either way, just different.

I'm certain that if the indulgent cultural experiences I had along the way in this years Tour were replaced with snappy stops the course could be ridden faster. But with the weather playing such a huge part, if it would be record setting is at the mercy of the omnipotent weather being.

One of the greatest things about the Divide for me was that it consumed more than a year of my life, with decisions and plans all revolving around the event. To back it up year after year in defence of a record could reframe the race from an adventure to an all-consuming obsession. Not sure if this is where I want to be.

So I'm in no hurry to get back on course, but as memories of the minor suffering fade and I finally regain some feeling in my hands, who knows what will happen!

Very classy reaction, Ollie!

You 2 are awesome!

- Denis aka Ze Diesel

Topic Name: TD'12 Race Discussion Reply #2523 on: September 13, 2012, 08:18:04 PM
mtbcast

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2523 on: September 13, 2012, 08:18:04 PM »

Thanks, Ollie. Maybe I'm being a little too "Rodney King" but I think that there are many viewpoints on this issue and so many regarding solo racing. We are all connected by the bike but we are different people. We're going to look at things through different eyes and interpret things very different at times.

JP - MTBCast.com

Topic Name: TD'12 Race Discussion Reply #2524 on: September 13, 2012, 08:18:20 PM
mtbcast

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2524 on: September 13, 2012, 08:18:20 PM »

Jay Petervary called in with some final thoughts about his record finish!

JP - MTBCast.com

Topic Name: TD'12 Race Discussion Reply #2525 on: September 20, 2012, 03:54:04 AM
DenisVTT

View Profile
« Reply #2525 on: September 20, 2012, 03:54:04 AM »

Unicyclist Gen Shimizu made it to AW:

- Denis aka Ze Diesel

Topic Name: TD'12 Race Discussion Reply #2526 on: September 20, 2012, 05:47:33 AM
mtbcast

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2526 on: September 20, 2012, 05:47:33 AM »

Awesome!

JP - MTBCast.com

Topic Name: TD'12 Race Discussion Reply #2527 on: September 20, 2012, 01:04:23 PM
BigPoppa

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2527 on: September 20, 2012, 01:04:23 PM »

Unicyclist Gen Shimizu made it to AW:

Just when i thought nothing could beat the epicness of JP's ride this year....

Topic Name: TD'12 Race Discussion Reply #2528 on: September 24, 2012, 07:55:11 AM
jryter

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2528 on: September 24, 2012, 07:55:11 AM »

I just wanted to say congratulations to everyone who even tries this crazy race. Or even just tours it. Way to to JP. And Ollie had an awesome finish. I liked hearing "Ollie Stories" as I was a day behind him for quite a while and people would tell me of the crazy Kiwi and what he did..... And a unicycle is great!

I really have a hard time being in complete "race" mode myself on this. There is so much to take in. You can blow many hours just talking to people but it is worth it. There are so many variables that can stop you such as weather, mechanicals or your body just not cooperating. A couple of great guys I met along the way had to drop and I feel for them..

Anyway if any one wants some trail beta I finally finished my blog on the whole thing. I did the race to raise awareness for Type 1 diabetes and raise $ for it. I think some kids with diabetes I know had fun watching the blue dot.
http://livethinline.blogspot.com/2012/07/tour-divide-into-void.html

Also Eszter H., Josh Shifferly and I are going to talk about the race and our gear Oct 3 at 7pm in the Ball room on Western State Colorado University Campus in Gunnison if anyone is in the area.

Topic Name: TD'12 Race Discussion Reply #2529 on: September 24, 2012, 09:22:35 AM
caseygreene

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2529 on: September 24, 2012, 09:22:35 AM »

Also Eszter H., Josh Shifferly and I are going to talk about the race and our gear Oct 3 at 7pm in the Ball room on Western State Colorado University Campus in Gunnison if anyone is in the area.
Any chance you guys could get the U to video this, and post it?
Man, that would be rad Smiley

Cartographer - Adventure Cycling Association

Topic Name: TD'12 Race Discussion Reply #2530 on: September 24, 2012, 11:06:57 AM
seabrin

View Profile
« Reply #2530 on: September 24, 2012, 11:06:57 AM »

Damn, that is classy! At 43 I am not too proud to realize that I need a more relaxed approach to life. Thank you for the example Ollie!

Topic Name: TD'12 Race Discussion Reply #2531 on: October 10, 2012, 08:43:22 PM
cjellmoney

View Profile
« Reply #2531 on: October 10, 2012, 08:43:22 PM »

Finally got around to my race write up. A few here requested it. Here ya go

http://cjellmoney.wordpress.com

Topic Name: TD'12 Race Discussion Reply #2532 on: October 16, 2012, 03:02:33 PM
zkantor

View Profile
« Reply #2532 on: October 16, 2012, 03:02:33 PM »

Hi,
Thought some one out there might help me, I am looking for pictures from TD2012 Richmond Peak...
If you have any please send me a note I need them for a presentation... Thanks
Zohar

Topic Name: TD'12 Race Discussion Reply #2533 on: October 16, 2012, 05:41:12 PM
Foster

View Profile
« Reply #2533 on: October 16, 2012, 05:41:12 PM »

Hi,
Thought some one out there might help me, I am looking for pictures from TD2012 Richmond Peak...
If you have any please send me a note I need them for a presentation... Thanks
Zohar

I have a couple pictures of myself on richmond peak, what is you email?

Go big or stay home

Topic Name: TD'12 Race Discussion Reply #2534 on: October 17, 2012, 01:59:41 AM
RideLikeAlf

View Profile
« Reply #2534 on: October 17, 2012, 01:59:41 AM »

Hi Zohar

I have a bit of 'snow death march' footage from my iPhone on the top of Richmond Peak. I'll e-mail that to you tonight.
Hope you are well. My hands are still giving me some problems but they are gradually getting better.
Best wishes
John

Topic Name: TD'12 Race Discussion Reply #2535 on: October 17, 2012, 02:39:03 AM
zkantor

View Profile
« Reply #2535 on: October 17, 2012, 02:39:03 AM »

Thank you both Eric and John. I need the pictures for a presentation I am holding...

Unfortunately, I did the stupid mistake and tackled Richmond Peak at mid-night while it was massively raining and I was so miserable.... Wink

The "snow death march" was the worst section since my light was giving up on me and I nearly run out of batteries. Couple of years ago I had an "all most" accident while trekking a very snowy slope in the Pyreneans - Spain, those memories were giving me hard time while as was walking that section in a very dark night and seeing that slope "again"....

Thanks to Erik Goedhart I recovered in a warm room after getting to Seeley Lake past 2:30am...and this is another story!

Topic Name: TD'12 Race Discussion Reply #2536 on: November 02, 2012, 12:38:37 PM
zkantor

View Profile
« Reply #2536 on: November 02, 2012, 12:38:37 PM »

A clip I've made from cuts of movie clips I took while riding this year.
With Nathan Mawkes, Tom Thomas, Joshua Smith, Rudi Nadler, John Philips and John Cox.

http://youtu.be/AyHzLe519EA?hd=1

Topic Name: TD'12 Race Discussion Reply #2537 on: November 02, 2012, 01:49:21 PM
Christopher R. Bennett

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2537 on: November 02, 2012, 01:49:21 PM »

I am in the final stages of editing Volume 4 of the Cordillera which is on the 2012 race. We have some great stories and interviews so thanks to all who helped.

The plan is to have it published next month - a great Christmas present for Tour Dividers (and Blue Dot Junkies).

If you have any photos from the race that you'd like to contribute to the book please e-m them to me at chris@lpcb.org. Looking for as many dimensions of the Tour Divide experience as possible.

Finally, it is also not too late to contribute  icon_biggrin  I know that there are two more riders working on something. Drop me a note at the above e-mail if interested. But the deadline for fame and fortune (OK, just fame)  really is approaching!

Topic Name: TD'12 Race Discussion Reply #2538 on: November 02, 2012, 01:58:43 PM
Done

View Profile
« Reply #2538 on: November 02, 2012, 01:58:43 PM »

Thanks for putting together the book, Chris. Dave's story still tears me up, and I think it's absolutely wonderful of you to send the proceeds to Dave's young daughter. I'm looking forward to buying a copy or two of the book!

"Done"

Topic Name: TD'12 Race Discussion Reply #2539 on: January 02, 2013, 06:59:38 PM
mtbcast

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2539 on: January 02, 2013, 06:59:38 PM »

I just posted the Tour Divide Funnies from 2012 up on MTBCast. Checkout these funny moments from Brett Stepanik, Sara Caylor, Fixie Dave Nice, Jim Stansbury, Michael Cleveland, Jarral Ryter, “Iron” Mel Liebling, Tracey Petervary, Josh Smith, Dan Haskins, Cjell Money, Eszter Horanyi, and Tracey Burge while you train for TD 2013!

JP - MTBCast.com
  Pages: 1 ... 125 126 [127] 128
Reply New Topic New Poll
Jump to: