Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 128
Reply Reply New Topic New Poll
  Topic Name: TD'12 Race Discussion Reply #180 on: June 11, 2012, 12:50:14 PM
DenisVTT

View Profile
« Reply #180 on: June 11, 2012, 12:50:14 PM »

I don't think there's any rule against cheering on racers (I sure hope not, as I'll be watching for them to come by my place in Helena for the next several days).  You just can't offer them any assistance.

You can do it from your place if you live on a town that's on the route, but you cannot go to the route from other towns, and you cannot be family, or friend:

Visitation: Divide racing is not intended to be a spectator sport! However, route-town locals only may interact with (i.e. visit briefly, cheer on) thru-racers as they pass through their locale. Out-of-town visitation to the GDMBR mid-race from challengers' family or friends—even if only a  'loosely-planned', remote possibility for rider rendezvous—is prohibited.

http://tourdivide.org/the_rules

I think the intent is to make sure racers who live close by the route do not have an advantage compared to racers living, say in New Zealand, with no friend or family on this continent.

« Last Edit: June 11, 2012, 12:56:32 PM by DenisVTT » Logged

- Denis aka Ze Diesel

Topic Name: TD'12 Race Discussion Reply #181 on: June 11, 2012, 12:54:09 PM
montanakb

View Profile
« Reply #181 on: June 11, 2012, 12:54:09 PM »

Well, I was thinking of going over in a few days towards Butte to cheer on some racers, but apparently this is against the rules? WTF? Makes no sense. How are these people on here getting pictures of the racers then?
I don't think there's any rule against cheering on racers (I sure hope not, as I'll be watching for them to come by my place in Helena for the next several days).  You just can't offer them any assistance.

Topic Name: TD'12 Race Discussion Reply #182 on: June 11, 2012, 12:59:27 PM
bmike-vt

View Profile WWW
« Reply #182 on: June 11, 2012, 12:59:27 PM »

Visitation: Divide racing is not intended to be a spectator sport! However, route-town locals only may interact with (i.e. visit briefly, cheer on) thru-racers as they pass through their locale. Out-of-town visitation to the GDMBR mid-race from challengers' family or friends—even if only a  'loosely-planned', remote possibility for rider rendezvous—is prohibited.

I think the key is in bold.
Just don't feed, touch, or help any of the riders. Sort of like a zoo.

Topic Name: TD'12 Race Discussion Reply #183 on: June 11, 2012, 02:02:17 PM
Jilleo

View Profile WWW
« Reply #183 on: June 11, 2012, 02:02:17 PM »

For fun, I've been comparing some of the leader's splits with old SPOT dots on trackleaders. If you look at the current leader's time stamps you can see they're almost exactly on pace with Matt Lee's 2009 splits up to this point. Craig and Ollie tracked at the first pass outside of Ovando at 2:30 p.m. Monday, and Matt's time was 2:25 p.m. Monday. http://tourdivide.org/leaderboard/2009/individual?name=Matthew%20Lee

I'm not sure if Jay P's track from his 2011 ITT is posted anywhere, but that would be the place to find the current record splits. Did this year's race start at 10 a.m. Friday? I'm just curious.

The lead women are setting a blistering pace given all the brutal trail conditions and weather through the Flathead and northern Montana. Eszter is about eight hours ahead of my 2009 time stamp from Richmond Peak, which I hit at 10 p.m. Monday. http://tourdivide.org/leaderboard/2009/individual?name=Jill%20Homer Of course I only put in 65 miles the next day and plenty of short days following that. As soon as weather and conditions improve, the women's race is going to break wide open. It's exciting.

Every day is an adventure http://arcticglass.blogspot.com

Topic Name: TD'12 Race Discussion Reply #184 on: June 11, 2012, 02:22:25 PM
silverback

View Profile
« Reply #184 on: June 11, 2012, 02:22:25 PM »

From New Zealand blue dot junkies - Ollie,Ollie, Ollie!

Topic Name: TD'12 Race Discussion Reply #185 on: June 11, 2012, 02:43:51 PM
ThatDudeOnABike

View Profile
« Reply #185 on: June 11, 2012, 02:43:51 PM »

Here's an idea. Let's start a transcontinental bike race with hundreds of contestants from all over the world, and try to keep it secret such that no one will come to watch it. And tell all the contestants' friends and family to stay away, even though this is a grueling, risky endeavor.

I totally respect the rules, but this is a very intriguing and compelling race, and it will inevitably attract attention. If you build it, they will come, so don't be surprised if this rule becomes rather unpopular.

Visitation: Divide racing is not intended to be a spectator sport! However, route-town locals only may interact with (i.e. visit briefly, cheer on) thru-racers as they pass through their locale. Out-of-town visitation to the GDMBR mid-race from challengers' family or friends—even if only a  'loosely-planned', remote possibility for rider rendezvous—is prohibited.

Topic Name: TD'12 Race Discussion Reply #186 on: June 11, 2012, 02:46:19 PM
Rider29er

View Profile
« Reply #186 on: June 11, 2012, 02:46:19 PM »

Here are a couple pics from today (6/11/12 a little after 2pm).  The snow wasn't too bad at the top of the pass between Eureka and Polebridge.  Only a few short stretches where riders would have to walk their bikes.  The first photo is of Fred Arden as he reached the top.  I didn't catch the name of the second rider who was about 15 minutes behind Fred.  Sure love living here in Eureka so I can watch this race in person.  Note: I'm local (live very close to the course), I don't know anyone in the race, and I've provided no support to anyone.  Hope that falls within the TD rules.   icon_biggrin    

* td-03.jpg (539.49 KB, 800x600 - viewed 854 times.)

* td-04.jpg (645.72 KB, 800x600 - viewed 841 times.)

Topic Name: TD'12 Race Discussion Reply #187 on: June 11, 2012, 02:48:51 PM
mbeardsl

View Profile
« Reply #187 on: June 11, 2012, 02:48:51 PM »

Read through the old threads on it.  Way too much to put in here.  It hasn't always been a rule (used to be able to spend the night with your wife?!?!).  Like any rule, it was made for it's reasons some of which are controversial, but overall allows for the greatest leveling of the field and is one of those that is easier to enforce as an extreme than in a shade of gray.

Also note the unofficial tone has been to keep the race small for A LOT of reasons.  Again some unpopular (mostly for spectators) but good sound reasons behind them for the long term success of the "race" from the racers viewpoint.

Topic Name: TD'12 Race Discussion Reply #188 on: June 11, 2012, 03:10:04 PM
multisportscott

View Profile
« Reply #188 on: June 11, 2012, 03:10:04 PM »

I find it odd that people, other than the actual organisers, feel they can have an opinion on the rules!
This is not "our" event, it is the organisers event.
The essence of the whole event is self-supported. If you don't like the rules perhaps start your own event with your own rules.

Here's an idea. Let's start a transcontinental bike race with hundreds of contestants from all over the world, and try to keep it secret such that no one will come to watch it. And tell all the contestants' friends and family to stay away, even though this is a grueling, risky endeavor.

I totally respect the rules, but this is a very intriguing and compelling race, and it will inevitably attract attention. If you build it, they will come, so don't be surprised if this rule becomes rather unpopular.

Topic Name: TD'12 Race Discussion Reply #189 on: June 11, 2012, 03:21:58 PM
mbeardsl

View Profile
« Reply #189 on: June 11, 2012, 03:21:58 PM »

If you don't like the rules perhaps start your own event with your own rules.

+1.  Which would take a page right out of the TD book Wink

Just make sure it doesn't ruin the route for anyone else wanting to race it.  That's not meant to sound harsh.  I don't fully understand all of the factors at play as I'm not a race director so again I'd suggest reading the old threads for complete understanding.  Lots of details in those 150+ pages of collective thought.

Topic Name: TD'12 Race Discussion Reply #190 on: June 11, 2012, 03:39:26 PM
Pajo 1

View Profile
« Reply #190 on: June 11, 2012, 03:39:26 PM »

Just want to wish my good friend Dave Meissner all the best.....We are thinking of u here buddy....

Topic Name: TD'12 Race Discussion Reply #191 on: June 11, 2012, 03:48:02 PM
ardenburns

View Profile
« Reply #191 on: June 11, 2012, 03:48:02 PM »

Here are a couple pics from today (6/11/12 a little after 2pm).  The snow wasn't too bad at the top of the pass between Eureka and Polebridge.  Only a few short stretches where riders would have to walk their bikes.  The first photo is of Fred Arden as he reached the top.  I didn't catch the name of the second rider who was about 15 minutes behind Fred.  Sure love living here in Eureka so I can watch this race in person.  Note: I'm local (live very close to the course), I don't know anyone in the race, and I've provided no support to anyone.  Hope that falls within the TD rules.   icon_biggrin   

WOOHOO!!! That's my dad!!! Thanks for the awesome pic. I don't think his SPOT is working today so we're glad to see a live action photo! I started blogging based on some of his call ins and updates, I'll post the link here soon and if you don't mind I'd love to put that pic on the blog too Smiley

Topic Name: TD'12 Race Discussion Reply #192 on: June 11, 2012, 03:50:50 PM
Notsofastfreddy

View Profile
« Reply #192 on: June 11, 2012, 03:50:50 PM »

Rider29er!!!This is Fred Arden`s wife and I am so happy for you to have snapped a pic of him today!!!!!!Thank you, thank you, thank you! Good to see he was in one piece, moving forward and the sun was shining! Wink

Topic Name: TD'12 Race Discussion Reply #193 on: June 11, 2012, 04:30:44 PM
Notsofastfreddy

View Profile
« Reply #193 on: June 11, 2012, 04:30:44 PM »

Plus his spot tracker is not on or not working so this was a nice confirmation that everything was okay at least to the point of the picture!s spo

Topic Name: TD'12 Race Discussion Reply #194 on: June 11, 2012, 04:54:31 PM
edmiston9

View Profile
« Reply #194 on: June 11, 2012, 04:54:31 PM »

If any of that were true then "Ride the Divide" would have never had the crux moment when Mary's sister came to Salida to cheer her on.  Sure the idea is poo-pooed but in the end a determined family can't be stopped.  And as far as I know, no races are won simply by the racer's parents showing up.  I fully understand and appreciate the basis of the rule but gotta say that it's the one most commonly ignored and/or over-looked.  I won't be chasing down riders but I may run down to the bike path and ding my bell as the racers make their way thru Steamboat.

Topic Name: TD'12 Race Discussion Reply #195 on: June 11, 2012, 04:56:25 PM
Pivvay

Riding and exploring

View Profile WWW
« Reply #195 on: June 11, 2012, 04:56:25 PM »

It was a rule change in 2010. It was not in effect during Ride the Divide or the following year during which I definitely saw my wife.

-Chris Plesko

Topic Name: TD'12 Race Discussion Reply #196 on: June 11, 2012, 05:00:43 PM
multisportscott

View Profile
« Reply #196 on: June 11, 2012, 05:00:43 PM »

Oli and Craig have three (from what I remember) passes to cross from Lincoln to Helena.
It is about a 105km ride between the two towns with 1600m climbing!
Not far to go till they reach the top of the first, one down, two to go at about 6pm.
Maybe a night in a motel in Helena for them??
Awesome effort

Topic Name: TD'12 Race Discussion Reply #197 on: June 11, 2012, 05:02:46 PM
Pivvay

Riding and exploring

View Profile WWW
« Reply #197 on: June 11, 2012, 05:02:46 PM »

That would be a great setup for tomorrow if they make Helena tonight. Fantastic riding!

-Chris Plesko

Topic Name: TD'12 Race Discussion Reply #198 on: June 11, 2012, 05:03:24 PM
Rider29er

View Profile
« Reply #198 on: June 11, 2012, 05:03:24 PM »

WOOHOO!!! That's my dad!!! Thanks for the awesome pic. I don't think his SPOT is working today so we're glad to see a live action photo! I started blogging based on some of his call ins and updates, I'll post the link here soon and if you don't mind I'd love to put that pic on the blog too Smiley
You are very welcome.  Feel free to use the pic on your blog.  I also sent a couple other photos I took to your mom by email.  He was so happy that there was not as much snow as he'd seen the past few days.  He was doing great when I turned around to head home.  Hope he makes it to Whitefish today since there isn't much civilization before then.  Take care.

Topic Name: TD'12 Race Discussion Reply #199 on: June 11, 2012, 05:09:33 PM
edmiston9

View Profile
« Reply #199 on: June 11, 2012, 05:09:33 PM »

It was a rule change in 2010. It was not in effect during Ride the Divide or the following year during which I definitely saw my wife.

I see, that makes much more sense now!  I retract my previous comments, except for the part about dinging my bell on the bike path.
  Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 128
Reply New Topic New Poll
Jump to: