Pages: 1 ... 101 102 [103]
Reply Reply New Topic New Poll
  Topic Name: TD'11 Race Discussion Reply #2040 on: July 21, 2011, 09:36:20 PM
sluttyduck

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2040 on: July 21, 2011, 09:36:20 PM »

He stayed in Abiquiu last night - last year he flew through town... possibly holding his breath the whole way because that is where he got food poisoning the prior year.  Maybe he didn't want to touch the phone to make a call in?  Or maybe he fell asleep during his "TV party"!

I had second lunch(or first dinner) and dinner(or second dinner) at the Inn there, so far so good.

Topic Name: TD'11 Race Discussion Reply #2041 on: July 22, 2011, 07:50:45 AM
DenisVTT

View Profile
« Reply #2041 on: July 22, 2011, 07:50:45 AM »

Congratulations to all the northbounders who made it. I'm already considering trying it again next year - going to work on my asthma control over the next 12 months.  I'll also check out if there are forest fires before deciding which direction to start from!

If anyone comes down New Zealand way please look me up. My wife has a great bed and breakfast (www.cats-pjamas.com) and there are some great rides in the Nelson area. We've got bikes to spare - inlcuding an only lightly used hardtail from the 2011 TD.

Hope to see you next year.

Chris Bennett

Chris, good to hear from you. I had heard about you having problems on the first day but I didn't have any details. So is that what happened, a asthma attack? Was it related to the heat?

Also, did you continue after that? I had heard that you were going to switch to a touring mode? Did you do it? Did you finish?

No plan to go to NZ right now but when I do, I'd be happy to take you up on the offer.

- Denis aka Ze Diesel

Topic Name: TD'11 Race Discussion Reply #2042 on: July 22, 2011, 02:24:11 PM
Christopher R. Bennett

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2042 on: July 22, 2011, 02:24:11 PM »

I got myself to the road about 20 miles S. of Silver City but my inhaler just wasn't having any effect and I couldn't get my breath. Paul from Sacramento came by and kept me company and after a while I decided to try and ride to Silver City while he zoomed off. After 1 mile I knew it was not possible so I DQ'd by flagging a truck to take me to the hospital. My blood-oxygen level was 85% of normal so no wonder I was having a problem. They put me on a bronchial dilator and that helped but the doctor advised me strongly against going north to Pie Town where the smoke would make things more problematic. He also told me that my NZ doctor has proscribed me the wrong inhaler. Note to self: don't use new medication on the TD.

I hired a ride to Albuquerque, hired a rental car and drove myself to Alamosa Co., then cycled over to Del Norte where I picked up the route again (if my wife had any idea what that cost she would not be happy!). My lungs were only firing on three cylinders and it was hard doing 100 miles a day. I decided when I got to Steamboat to bail and give them a chance to recover. The best part was that just outside of Radium Paul Attala caught up with me and we rode together. He got a great action photo out of the deal. What an amazing athlete ...

So time to work more seriously on my asthma - a legacy of working in China for too long - so I can give it a try next year. I consoled myself by registering for Ironman Brazil while in Steamboat.

Topic Name: TD'11 Race Discussion Reply #2043 on: July 22, 2011, 02:55:44 PM
Done

View Profile
« Reply #2043 on: July 22, 2011, 02:55:44 PM »

Hi Chris,

As a fellow asthmatic, I feel your pain. Fortunately, I was lucky enough to visit National Jewish Hospital in Denver, which is one of the better respiratory hospitals in the world. My asthma is now in control, and I rarely have any troubles with it. So, find yourself a good respiratory doctor. There are some great medications out there that will get you back on your feet, and keep you there. Sounds like you are on the right path already, but I just wanted to pass along some encouragement from someone else who managed to survive some rough days without air. Good luck!

"Done"

Topic Name: TD'11 Race Discussion Reply #2044 on: July 22, 2011, 04:21:46 PM
DenisVTT

View Profile
« Reply #2044 on: July 22, 2011, 04:21:46 PM »

I hired a ride to Albuquerque, hired a rental car and drove myself to Alamosa Co., then cycled over to Del Norte where I picked up the route again (if my wife had any idea what that cost she would not be happy!).

And for the right amount of money, I will not email her this post...   icon_biggrin

The best part was that just outside of Radium Paul Attala caught up with me and we rode together. He got a great action photo out of the deal. What an amazing athlete ...

That's the bright side of the story: not too many people can claim to have been caught up in Colorado by Paul Attalla...  icon_biggrin

- Denis aka Ze Diesel

Topic Name: TD'11 Race Discussion Reply #2045 on: July 25, 2011, 04:00:14 PM
sigma7

View Profile
« Reply #2045 on: July 25, 2011, 04:00:14 PM »

Wow!, Good luck and bring plenty of batteries for that Garmin.  How many points is it capable of storing daily before you have to download it somewhere in town with a cable?

I'm in Butte, MT at the outdoorsman right now. Rob is a really nice guy! It's incredible hot the last few days, this really slows me down.

The Garmin 62s I'm using has virtually no limits in number of points stored. My one is equipped with an 16 GB card.

-- andre

Topic Name: TD'11 Race Discussion Reply #2046 on: July 27, 2011, 03:27:21 PM
sigma7

View Profile
« Reply #2046 on: July 27, 2011, 03:27:21 PM »

I'm in Russ' Montana High Country Lodge right now, where I arrived yesterday. Unfortunately, my left knee hurts. I've decided to take a rest day and drop of the race.

I'll continue heading south, at a more relaxed pace - enjoyed by the scenery and the people.

-- andre

Topic Name: TD'11 Race Discussion Reply #2047 on: July 27, 2011, 07:47:30 PM
pro_out

View Profile
« Reply #2047 on: July 27, 2011, 07:47:30 PM »

I'm in Russ' Montana High Country Lodge right now, where I arrived yesterday. Unfortunately, my left knee hurts. I've decided to take a rest day and drop of the race.

I'll continue heading south, at a more relaxed pace - enjoyed by the scenery and the people.

-- andre

Hope the rest day helps your knee. Keep riding and enjoy YOUR new pace.

Lone Wolf

Topic Name: TD'11 Race Discussion Reply #2048 on: July 27, 2011, 09:29:41 PM
mmeiser

Less Stuff. More Freedom!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2048 on: July 27, 2011, 09:29:41 PM »

I just posted a Q&A with Justin Simoni on my blog. Justin has such a great attitude and it really shines through in this interview

http://kentsbike.blogspot.com/2011/07/some-tour-divide-questions-answers-with.html

Just an awesome interview, words cannot express. Best incite into the tour I've read.

Topic Name: TD'11 Race Discussion Reply #2049 on: July 31, 2011, 09:55:02 AM
ridingman1

Drinkin' upstream from the herd

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2049 on: July 31, 2011, 09:55:02 AM »

My copy of the "Book of the Bivvy" by Ronald Turnbull finally arrived, and I must say it is quite entertaining. Here is an excerpt:

"A bivvybag may not be all that expensive, but it is not a way of saving money. It is, rather, a new way of having fun. A bivvybag isn't simply an extra bit of kit that has the backwards effect of making the rucksack lighter. It's a new attitude, a new way of being in the hills. It rearranges the co-ordinates of space and time and allows us to wriggle through the wormholes into a different universe."

I am beginning to believe that solo adventuring, especially the Tour Divide is: "All About the Bivvy".

I found a copy through an Amazon.com search of the title. It was shipped from a bookstore named "pbshopus" for $15.84

Topic Name: TD'11 Race Discussion Reply #2050 on: August 08, 2011, 06:30:53 PM
mtbcast

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2050 on: August 08, 2011, 06:30:53 PM »

NB ITT’er Robert Franz called in to say he pulled out from north of the Beaverhead.

JP - MTBCast.com

Topic Name: TD'11 Race Discussion Reply #2051 on: August 14, 2011, 04:38:42 AM
BigPoppa

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2051 on: August 14, 2011, 04:38:42 AM »

I don't blame him, that section is freaking brutal. I passed out twice on the bike (from the heat) and woke up in the middle of that white-hot-as-h@ll-gravel-sand.

115 degrees indeed!

Good on him for even attempting it in the heat they are having this year.

Good luck to all the other ITTer's out there this summer and fall!

Topic Name: TD'11 Race Discussion Reply #2052 on: August 20, 2011, 03:47:13 PM
rfutah

View Profile
« Reply #2052 on: August 20, 2011, 03:47:13 PM »

Thanks for the encouragement.  After about a week I could eat and drink normally again.  But the itch to get back out there has come back with a vengeance as well.

Topic Name: TD'11 Race Discussion Reply #2053 on: September 30, 2011, 02:25:49 AM
annoying crack

View Profile
« Reply #2053 on: September 30, 2011, 02:25:49 AM »

Just wondering... is there an official result for this years race? The Tourdivide.org website does not seem to list one.

Topic Name: TD'11 Race Discussion Reply #2054 on: September 30, 2011, 05:13:55 AM
Martin W

View Profile
« Reply #2054 on: September 30, 2011, 05:13:55 AM »

Been wondering that myself.
The result may too dificult to compile as so many people did so many routes due to forest fires etc.
Would be nice to know how many NoBo's and SoBo's finished though.
  Pages: 1 ... 101 102 [103]
Reply New Topic New Poll
Jump to: