Pages: 1 ... 74 75 [76] 77 78 ... 103
Reply Reply New Topic New Poll
  Topic Name: TD'11 Race Discussion Reply #1500 on: June 28, 2011, 10:03:48 PM
AZtrailertrash

View Profile
« Reply #1500 on: June 28, 2011, 10:03:48 PM »

I try to take in 6000 calories/day during efforts like these - it's about the maximum that my body can process, but it doesn't quite match what I actually burn, and I can't take in that much in really hot conditions. I'd estimate that is somewhere around 8000 calories/day, but that's assuming only a few hours of sleep per night. For 2-2.5 days in the Gila, the weight and volume of the food that has to be carried is impressively high. Hopefully all the riders have the capacity for both this and 5-7 liters of water!

Kevin, I am big, heavy, old, and slow.... 6'5, 225, 53 yrs old, but some parts of the Divide are on my Bucket list.  Don't think for a minute you are not a grand roll model and an inspiration for all of us.

Topic Name: TD'11 Race Discussion Reply #1501 on: June 28, 2011, 10:05:09 PM
DaNM

View Profile
« Reply #1501 on: June 28, 2011, 10:05:09 PM »

So krefs you prob wanted oranges and regular old water nearing the end. What was your drink of choice thru the furnace, or should I say wood stove, to get you to the panhandle?

Topic Name: TD'11 Race Discussion Reply #1502 on: June 29, 2011, 12:44:57 AM
Pollyhound

View Profile
« Reply #1502 on: June 29, 2011, 12:44:57 AM »

Well...That's that from Brush Mountain! 

A BIG thanks to you Kirsten for all you do for TD riders.  It is very much appreciated, not only by them but by the loved ones, friends and watchers.  Much love from across the pond thumbsup

Topic Name: TD'11 Race Discussion Reply #1503 on: June 29, 2011, 01:01:54 AM
DoctorRad

View Profile
« Reply #1503 on: June 29, 2011, 01:01:54 AM »

However, the Gila as part of the Tour Divide was brutal for me ... I got caught up in a major storm and slushed through peanut butter for the better part of 45 miles.
As someone who is contemplating riding the Tour Divide before I'm 45, I gotta say that the mud is one of those things which scares me the most. I know of at least two sections where heavy rain can mean tens of miles of bike-clogging mud.

How do you veterans cope with it, both from the bike's point of view and your own (psychologically)?

Topic Name: TD'11 Race Discussion Reply #1504 on: June 29, 2011, 05:26:45 AM
bcaverly

View Profile
« Reply #1504 on: June 29, 2011, 05:26:45 AM »

First a big THANKS! to the gang at trackleaders.com for such a great service in the first place.

That said, is something wrong with the NoBo tracking?  They all seem to be listed as off course in 1000th place, and it is not reporting their mileage on the course.

Thanks again,

Bob

Topic Name: TD'11 Race Discussion Reply #1505 on: June 29, 2011, 06:45:12 AM
Thumby

Tell me, where is this mythical convenience store?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1505 on: June 29, 2011, 06:45:12 AM »

Is there some "official" way that riders are notified of potential reroutes because of the fires in NM?  I'm sitting here at home knowing that my hubby (JE) is heading toward that section and he's in an area with no cell coverage to get info.

Does anyone know for sure if the route will be closed?  I'm trying to read everything I can find but it's all making my head swim.

I expect he'll stop in Vallecitos in the next few hours and maybe he'll call home.  I'd like to know what to tell him, if there is any news.

Trying really hard not to be worried, but it's tough.

Anyone have thoughts?

Elizabeth

Tour Divide 2011 GD

I live on a big round ball, I never do dream I may fall.
And even if one day I do, I'll jump off and smile back at you.  -Jesse Winchester

Topic Name: TD'11 Race Discussion Reply #1506 on: June 29, 2011, 07:10:10 AM
Mathewsen

View Profile
« Reply #1506 on: June 29, 2011, 07:10:10 AM »

First a big THANKS! to the gang at trackleaders.com for such a great service in the first place.

That said, is something wrong with the NoBo tracking?  They all seem to be listed as off course in 1000th place, and it is not reporting their mileage on the course.

Thanks again,

Bob
Live tracking-generated leaderboards are complex stuff, particularly when you start having two concurrent fields of racers traveling in opposite directions. Scott M may chime in with a better answer than I can provide, but suffice it to say leaderboard data are generated based on geo-fencing and a 'smart route' file that contains a unique numerical value for each mile of the route.

For example, the course mile located 5 miles out from AW can be assigned 'mile 2,740', but i'm pretty sure it cannot simultaneously be 'mile 5' (for the purposes of a leaderboard). If anyone can figure out how to assign two simultaneous values to each unique mile on course, and merge concurrent leaderboards it's, SM, but for this year's TD tracker, we went with the greater good (Sobo). Post-hoc i think we can plug Nobos into the script and generate all their leaderboard data, but we're not promising those splits for anytime soon. In the future it may be simpler for us to run two concurrent trackers on which the opposite-bound riders are simply a selectable 'rider layer', viewable by by last known location, but not in an overcomplicated merged leaderboard. I think this matter starts to delve into the philosphical question of how much to we want to directly compare (in a virtual, single GC, Sobo and Nobo grand depart efforts). I am personally uncertain of the best answer at this point.

Topic Name: TD'11 Race Discussion Reply #1507 on: June 29, 2011, 07:31:12 AM
bmike-vt

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1507 on: June 29, 2011, 07:31:12 AM »

i'd think 2 leaderboards would suffice, one above the other. same with all the other data.
personally, i don't see how its useful to 'race' against folks headed in the other direction, aside from the theoretical / philosophical 'he made it through first' sort of thing.

spots should (could) still be seen on the same map, but to compare apples to oranges you'll likely need to see them side by side, instead of on top of one another.

how did it work with justin s. and the non-reroute route? are his times / projections based on the re-route map, or the route he actually took?

Topic Name: TD'11 Race Discussion Reply #1508 on: June 29, 2011, 07:39:21 AM
Mathewsen

View Profile
« Reply #1508 on: June 29, 2011, 07:39:21 AM »

Is there some "official" way that riders are notified of potential reroutes because of the fires in NM?  I'm sitting here at home knowing that my hubby (JE) is heading toward that section and he's in an area with no cell coverage to get info.
Elizabeth, first and foremost, all riders are on their own individual expeditions out there, and must make decisions for themselves when things happen too fast on the ground for a volunteer team of TD organizers to address. Fire closures is certainly one scenario. In the absence of direction, the best riders can do is try to document their decisions thru MTBCast and hope that others follow. The Divide racing rule of thumb is to 'try' (to the best of info) to choose the (legal) detour that results in riding the maximum amount of GDMBR (within reason). quadrupling one's mileage just to accomplish this rule of thumb is bordering on unreasonable.

MTB Cast has always been one way to notify riders further back in the pack, but it's not perfect, and often can't catch those at the edge of change. There's no easy answer. We are working on the possible changes in NM and will post something here later today. This year would have been a good year for each racer to establish an alternative liaison from which they could receive info from TD 'mass communiques'. But...managing course dynamics mid-race by mass communiques is a slippery slope. How much should TD organization really engage in this management mid-race? There's liability to think of. There's the insane workload it becomes. It was never really intended to be part of the 'free race' design. This year's event was an unprecedented beast for such issues. Should we have cancelled the event in the name of avoiding it all? Probably not, but it's been a hellacious perfect storm. Double the riders and triple the route trouble. It's a bed we've made, and are doing our best to lie in. With all due respect, this is not a rant. Just a reality check.

Topic Name: TD'11 Race Discussion Reply #1509 on: June 29, 2011, 07:41:31 AM
krefs

View Profile
« Reply #1509 on: June 29, 2011, 07:41:31 AM »

So krefs you prob wanted oranges and regular old water nearing the end. What was your drink of choice thru the furnace, or should I say wood stove, to get you to the panhandle?

I was sucking down orange gatorade from my bladder by the gallon! I filled up on it in Cuba, Grants, and Silver City. In the Gila, I had to go with plain water, and I was drinking notably less when it didn't have that sweet/slightly salty flavor.

Topic Name: TD'11 Race Discussion Reply #1510 on: June 29, 2011, 07:47:24 AM
Mathewsen

View Profile
« Reply #1510 on: June 29, 2011, 07:47:24 AM »

i'd think 2 leaderboards would suffice, one above the other. same with all the other data.
Yep. just remember, 2 LBs means two complete, fully functioning and configured trackers. Not impossible, just resources are what they are in a two-person operation. The concurrent Grand Departs thing is new. We'll be ready for 2012.
personally, i don't see how its useful to 'race' against folks headed in the other direction, aside from the theoretical / philosophical 'he made it through first' sort of thing.
Yep. mostly theoretical...but has a fun-element, i guess.

Justin is in his own world...but is being judged by the same Sobo route file as the others, so at times he's way 'off route'.

Topic Name: TD'11 Race Discussion Reply #1511 on: June 29, 2011, 07:51:16 AM
DaveG

View Profile
« Reply #1511 on: June 29, 2011, 07:51:16 AM »

Matt,

I'm pretty sure I speak for a lot of us when I say that in this technology oriented world, it seems like managing blue dots would be a breeze compared to actually riding the divide. That said, we're all hugely appreciative of tourdivide.org, mtbcast, this forum, and all of the other ways you and many others have worked hard to keep us on the sidelines, and the riders, in the loop. If there is ever a way to chip in and help, I'd be happy to.

Topic Name: TD'11 Race Discussion Reply #1512 on: June 29, 2011, 08:06:39 AM
bmike-vt

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1512 on: June 29, 2011, 08:06:39 AM »

Yep. just remember, 2 LBs means two complete, fully functioning and configured trackers. Not impossible, just resources are what they are in a two-person operation.

understand. i wouldn't know where to start...  so thumbsup to you and scott.

Topic Name: TD'11 Race Discussion Reply #1513 on: June 29, 2011, 08:18:12 AM
bikpdlr

View Profile
« Reply #1513 on: June 29, 2011, 08:18:12 AM »

Hopefully all the riders have the capacity for both this and 5-7 liters of water!

Kurt,
I'm having Jeff at Carousel make my bags and I'm trying to decide on a full frame bag vs. a partial bag.  I'm pedalling a Cannondale Flash like Matt Lee and trying to figure out how to avoid a hydration pack on my back.  Are you able to carry 5-7 liters on your bike alone?  I appreciate any suggestions and info you can pass along.

Awesome finish btw ... following you guys on the leaderboard has been jaw-dropping to say the least.  Congrats !!!

Chris Tompkins
Danville, VA

Topic Name: TD'11 Race Discussion Reply #1514 on: June 29, 2011, 08:21:25 AM
BobM

View Profile
« Reply #1514 on: June 29, 2011, 08:21:25 AM »

Kurt,
I'm having Jeff at Carousel make my bags and I'm trying to decide on a full frame bag vs. a partial bag.  I'm pedalling a Cannondale Flash like Matt Lee and trying to figure out how to avoid a hydration pack on my back.  Are you able to carry 5-7 liters on your bike alone?  I appreciate any suggestions and info you can pass along.

Awesome finish btw ... following you guys on the leaderboard has been jaw-dropping to say the least.  Congrats !!!

Chris Tompkins
Danville, VA

Full frame divided into upper and lower sections, the upper section made to fit a bladder, works well.

Check out my leatherwork shop at www.etsy.com/shop/BirchCreekLeather

Topic Name: TD'11 Race Discussion Reply #1515 on: June 29, 2011, 08:34:40 AM
bcaverly

View Profile
« Reply #1515 on: June 29, 2011, 08:34:40 AM »

Live tracking-generated leaderboards are complex stuff, particularly when you start having two concurrent fields of racers traveling in opposite directions. Scott M may chime in with a better answer than I can provide, but suffice it to say leaderboard data are generated based on geo-fencing and a 'smart route' file that contains a unique numerical value for each mile of the route.

For example, the course mile located 5 miles out from AW can be assigned 'mile 2,740', but i'm pretty sure it cannot simultaneously be 'mile 5' (for the purposes of a leaderboard). If anyone can figure out how to assign two simultaneous values to each unique mile on course, and merge concurrent leaderboards it's, SM, but for this year's TD tracker, we went with the greater good (Sobo). Post-hoc i think we can plug Nobos into the script and generate all their leaderboard data, but we're not promising those splits for anytime soon. In the future it may be simpler for us to run two concurrent trackers on which the opposite-bound riders are simply a selectable 'rider layer', viewable by by last known location, but not in an overcomplicated merged leaderboard. I think this matter starts to delve into the philosphical question of how much to we want to directly compare (in a virtual, single GC, Sobo and Nobo grand depart efforts). I am personally uncertain of the best answer at this point.

Matt,

Thanks for the response - I'd be quite happy with 2 leaderboards FWIW (of course if my buddy Denis does it again next year he's liable to go the other way and I won't care! Murphy's Law!)

For now my concern is simply that something has changed since the mileage numbers that used to display for NoBo riders are now gone and all the NoBo riders have disappeared from the elevation plot as well.  Makes it nearly impossible to tell if Denis is still reeling in Craig or not after his broken spokes going over Fleecer.

Thanks,
Bob

Topic Name: TD'11 Race Discussion Reply #1516 on: June 29, 2011, 09:00:49 AM
ScottM
bikepacking.net admin

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1516 on: June 29, 2011, 09:00:49 AM »

For now my concern is simply that something has changed since the mileage numbers that used to display for NoBo riders are now gone and all the NoBo riders have disappeared from the elevation plot as well.  Makes it nearly impossible to tell if Denis is still reeling in Craig or not after his broken spokes going over Fleecer.

I've been cleaning up a few things in the code and playing with some new stuff, so that was unintentional.  I'll get route mileage and the dots back on the plot later today.  Sorry 'bout that.

I'm pretty sure I speak for a lot of us when I say that in this technology oriented world, it seems like managing blue dots would be a breeze compared to actually riding the divide.

Endurance programming is in a lot of ways much harder than riding the divide (it is also easier in many ways)... I wished several times I was just out riding my bike.  The week leading up to TD was an endurance event for both Matthew and myself.  Joe is doing a lot of work on the call-ins as well -- if you can, please support his efforts with a paypal donation.

Sorry about the NoBo and ITT riders not showing as full racers.

Author of TopoFusion GPS software.  Co-founder of trackleaders.com - SPOT event tracking.

Topic Name: TD'11 Race Discussion Reply #1517 on: June 29, 2011, 09:06:49 AM
BobM

View Profile
« Reply #1517 on: June 29, 2011, 09:06:49 AM »

...Joe is doing a lot of work on the call-ins as well -- if you can, please support his efforts with a paypal donation.

Joe took down his PayPal link the first of the year.  Is there another way to shoot him a donation?

Check out my leatherwork shop at www.etsy.com/shop/BirchCreekLeather

Topic Name: TD'11 Race Discussion Reply #1518 on: June 29, 2011, 09:07:44 AM
mikepro

View Profile
« Reply #1518 on: June 29, 2011, 09:07:44 AM »

Both DeeJay Birtch and Ben Onel are in Pie Town...

Quite different departure times this morning for these 2 guys.  Ben Oney out of P. Town early and gets something like a 4-hr jump on Deejay B.

I also like how Caroline S has displayed a gamer attitude by firing out of Cuba around something like 4am local time today, and is already well around the corner from Pueblo Pintado.  Nice riding.

Topic Name: TD'11 Race Discussion Reply #1519 on: June 29, 2011, 09:29:05 AM
TXMTBCHICK

View Profile
« Reply #1519 on: June 29, 2011, 09:29:05 AM »

@AZtrailertrash, they are not all young-uns out there!
  Pages: 1 ... 74 75 [76] 77 78 ... 103
Reply New Topic New Poll
Jump to: