Pages: 1 ... 56 57 [58] 59 60 ... 103
Reply Reply New Topic New Poll
  Topic Name: TD'11 Race Discussion Reply #1140 on: June 24, 2011, 07:51:06 AM
29singlespeed

View Profile
« Reply #1140 on: June 24, 2011, 07:51:06 AM »

Top 5 Outstanding Sobo rides of Wednesday June 23:  Kurt Refsnider 200 miles (and still riding), Jefe Branham 179 miles, Dan Hill 170 miles, the Eurotrain  (Reto Koller, Saemi Burkart, Marco Costa)160 miles, and Aiden Harding 150 miles.

This is what I have been trying to determine myself, not to be a broken record; How did you determine the miles?

Topic Name: TD'11 Race Discussion Reply #1141 on: June 24, 2011, 08:03:38 AM
woody

View Profile
« Reply #1141 on: June 24, 2011, 08:03:38 AM »

Can we start a new award? Specifically I'm thinking of an annual "Justin Simoni Badass of the Year Trophy" That guy is amazing.

So he is NOT taking the re-routes?

Woody

Topic Name: TD'11 Race Discussion Reply #1142 on: June 24, 2011, 08:15:53 AM
SlowDave

View Profile
« Reply #1142 on: June 24, 2011, 08:15:53 AM »

This morning's update on fire restrictions / closures from ABQ Journa:

Fire Restrictions
By Journal Staff on Fri, Jun 24, 2011
[Print-Friendly Version]
[Email This Story] view comments

Fire restrictions in the Santa Fe National Forest and the Valles Caldera National Preserve are moving into Stage III beginning at 8 a.m. today.

That means, unless an area is listed as open, it is considered closed to all uses. Areas that are open are under Stage II fire restrictions.

Here’s the status of various districts in the forest:

Coyote Ranger District: All forest lands in Rio Arriba County will remain open.

Cuba Ranger District: All forest lands in Sandoval and Rio Arriba counties are closed except for:

n Areas north of N.M. 126, with the exception of the area north of N.M. 126, south of Eureka Mesa and west of F.R. 126S to the forest boundary.

n San Pedro Parks Wilderness, Clear Creek and Rio de las Vacas Campgrounds.

n Clear Creek Day Use Picnic Area.

Jemez Ranger District: All forest lands in Sandoval County are off-limits, except:

n Fishing is only allowed 75 feet on either side of the San Antonio and Jemez rivers from La Cueva Picnic Area South to La Junta Fishing Access.

n Fishing Access at La Junta, Las Casitas, San Diego, River’s Bend, The Bluffs, Rincon, Dark Canyon.

n Vista Linda, San Antonio, Jemez Falls campgrounds.

n Spanish Queen, Battleship Rock, La Cueva, Las Conchas picnic areas.

n Spence Hot Springs and the access trail from N.M. 4 (about 0.25 miles), San Diego Overlook, Jemez Falls Trail head and trail to Jemez Falls (less than 0.5 miles).

n Sandoval County Solid Waste Transfer Station Special Use Permit site (in Cañon).

n F.R. 106 to Thompson Ridge Estates, F.R. 105 to Sulphur Springs residential area, F.R. 10 from N.M. 4 to Sierra De Los Pinos residential development, and F.R. 134 to Vallecitos de Los Indios.

n Fenton Lake State Park is also open.

Pecos/Las Vegas Ranger District: All forest lands in Santa Fe, San Miguel and Mora counties are closed, except for:

n Jacks Creek, Field Tract, Cowles, El Porvenir and EV Long campgrounds.

n Dalton Day and Windy Bridge Picnic day use areas.

n Fishing is allowed 75 feet on either side of the Pecos River and 120 feet up and downstream from the Windy Bridge Picnic Day Use Area and Dalton Day Use Area.

n Rowe Mesa and El Pueblo/Anton Chico.

n The Pecos National Historical Park is open.

n State Game & Fish recreation sites including Bert Clancy, Terrero, Jamie Koch and Mora camping and fishing areas will remain open with restrictions.

Española Ranger District: All forest lands in Los Alamos, Santa Fe and Rio Arriba counties are off limits except for:

n National Forest System lands north of FSR 144 (Abiquiu area).

n Borrego Mesa and Borrego Mesa campground.

n Area south of the Santa Fe Watershed boundary (Atalaya Mountain).

n Area south of N.M. 475 up to Hyde State Park boundary.

n Black Canyon Campground.

n Caja Del Rio and Caja Del Rio Headquarters Well.

n The Bandelier National Monument visitor facilities, developed campgrounds, and interpretive trails within Frijoles Canyon are also open.

Valles Caldera National Preserve: Public access to the Preserve is open through the Valle Grande Staging Area.

Areas remaining open in the national forest are under Stage II fire restrictions, which prohibit a fire, campfire, charcoal, coal, wood or stove fire; using an explosive; smoking, except within an enclosed vehicle or building; possession or use of any type of firework; operating a chainsaw or other equipment powered by an internal combustion engine; welding or operating acetylene or other torch with open flame; possessing or operating motorized vehicles off forest roads, including but not limited to cars, trucks, SUVs, motorcycles and ATVs.

Topic Name: TD'11 Race Discussion Reply #1143 on: June 24, 2011, 08:43:19 AM
budbob66

View Profile
« Reply #1143 on: June 24, 2011, 08:43:19 AM »

Is there any word on the two ITT'ers starting today?  One nobo and one sobo. 

Topic Name: TD'11 Race Discussion Reply #1144 on: June 24, 2011, 09:00:00 AM
29singlespeed

View Profile
« Reply #1144 on: June 24, 2011, 09:00:00 AM »

Kurts getting some pie.

Topic Name: TD'11 Race Discussion Reply #1145 on: June 24, 2011, 09:03:35 AM
Mathewsen

View Profile
« Reply #1145 on: June 24, 2011, 09:03:35 AM »

This morning's update on fire restrictions / closures from ABQ Journa:
Cuba Ranger District: All forest lands in Sandoval and Rio Arriba counties are closed except for:

Areas north of N.M. 126, with the exception of the area north of N.M. 126, south of Eureka Mesa and west of F.R. 126S to the forest boundary.
Thanks for the reminder about fire closures. Right now the only part of the route proximal to a closure is FR 70 and NM126 (the former rainbow gathering location) coming off the back side of Polvadera Mesa into Cuba. I can confirm thru my contact at the Cuba District office that the route is OPEN (only stage II restrictions).

Is there any word on the two ITT'ers starting today?  One nobo and one sobo.
Dave in the South has run into a similar delay as Karlos B. and is awaiting his sled in Lordsburg. Stephen H. up North is riding out a wait period so he can assail the full route without (too much) snow hiking.

Topic Name: TD'11 Race Discussion Reply #1146 on: June 24, 2011, 09:04:50 AM
Highland Mike

View Profile
« Reply #1146 on: June 24, 2011, 09:04:50 AM »

Kurts getting some pie.
-
"That's pie country. They do a lot of baking up there."
"They sell them by the side of the road. Blueberry blackberry."
"Blackberry boysenberry."
"Boysenberry huckleberry."
"Huckleberry raspberry."
"Raspberry strawberry."
"Strawberry cranberry."
"Peach."
-
George and Jerry.....I digress

Topic Name: TD'11 Race Discussion Reply #1147 on: June 24, 2011, 09:06:55 AM
JF-mtnbiker

View Profile
« Reply #1147 on: June 24, 2011, 09:06:55 AM »

Hmmm. Jefe gets a solid sleep. Kirt keeps going to extend his mileage lead. (Maybe a cat nap or two) But at what cost? A 50 mile lead? I think with the Gila still out there, high temps... Jefe is still in this thing. He may be able to maintain a higher average speed as Kirt's lack of sleep wears on him. If Kirt stops to sleep, Jefe will close on his position. I guess we'll see... Gotta love it.

Topic Name: TD'11 Race Discussion Reply #1148 on: June 24, 2011, 09:11:20 AM
Pelican Peloton

View Profile
« Reply #1148 on: June 24, 2011, 09:11:20 AM »

This is what I have been trying to determine myself, not to be a broken record; How did you determine the miles?

You have to be a very dedicated & persistent stalker and write down the stopping point of each rider every day.  Whose information do you need?

Topic Name: TD'11 Race Discussion Reply #1149 on: June 24, 2011, 09:17:43 AM
Pelican Peloton

View Profile
« Reply #1149 on: June 24, 2011, 09:17:43 AM »

Hmmm. Jefe gets a solid sleep. Kirt keeps going to extend his mileage lead. (Maybe a cat nap or two) But at what cost? A 50 mile lead? I think with the Gila still out there, high temps... Jefe is still in this thing. He may be able to maintain a higher average speed as Kirt's lack of sleep wears on him. If Kirt stops to sleep, Jefe will close on his position. I guess we'll see... Gotta love it.

Or maybe Kurt can maintain a faster pace at night and sleep during slow hot windy part of the day. 

Topic Name: TD'11 Race Discussion Reply #1150 on: June 24, 2011, 09:23:41 AM
ScottM
bikepacking.net admin

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1150 on: June 24, 2011, 09:23:41 AM »

You have to be a very dedicated & persistent stalker and write down the stopping point of each rider every day.  Whose information do you need?

Mileage covered in the last 24 hours might be a good stat for trackleaders individual pages.  I could also try to give stats for the current "push" = since the last tent icon.

But yeah, otherwise you need to look at people individual points in their history, or take good notes.

Go Kurt and Jefe!

Author of TopoFusion GPS software.  Co-founder of trackleaders.com - SPOT event tracking.

Topic Name: TD'11 Race Discussion Reply #1151 on: June 24, 2011, 09:26:18 AM
SlowDave

View Profile
« Reply #1151 on: June 24, 2011, 09:26:18 AM »

These guys are amazing!  Kurt looks like he is hitting the Plains of San Augustine already.  According to the weather report for Pie Town current winds are 4 out of the West and up to 20 later today and tonight.  They are supposed to shift to the SW in the next couple of days.  No head wind for now.  Starting Sunday there will be a slight chance of afternoon thunder showers, start of the monsoon? Wishful thinking in regards to the fire situation.

Topic Name: TD'11 Race Discussion Reply #1152 on: June 24, 2011, 09:31:39 AM
Slowerthensnot

Have fun and go far

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1152 on: June 24, 2011, 09:31:39 AM »

Thanks for the reminder about fire closures. Right now the only part of the route proximal to a closure is FR 70 and NM126 (the former rainbow gathering location) coming off the back side of Polvadera Mesa into Cuba. I can confirm thru my contact at the Cuba District office that the route is OPEN (only stage II restrictions).
Dave in the South has run into a similar delay as Karlos B. and is awaiting his sled in Lordsburg. Stephen H. up North is riding out a wait period so he can assail the full route without (too much) snow hiking.

Waiting for my bike to show up out of some sort of blackhole of greyhound....   so i'm in a holding pattren in lordsburg till then..... Go Kurt and Jefe! was hopping to see those 2 on route!

Topic Name: TD'11 Race Discussion Reply #1153 on: June 24, 2011, 09:32:21 AM
29singlespeed

View Profile
« Reply #1153 on: June 24, 2011, 09:32:21 AM »

You have to be a very dedicated & persistent stalker and write down the stopping point of each rider every day.  Whose information do you need?

Thanks, I just thought I was missing a tool at my finger tips. No one in particular.

Topic Name: TD'11 Race Discussion Reply #1154 on: June 24, 2011, 09:33:26 AM
mikepro

View Profile
« Reply #1154 on: June 24, 2011, 09:33:26 AM »

Kurt looks like he is hitting the Plains of San Augustine already.  

Easy, Tiger .... the dude's spot still shows him sitting at the counter eating pie.  Still a couple hours and some climbing to come before the "Plains of SA".

Topic Name: TD'11 Race Discussion Reply #1155 on: June 24, 2011, 09:38:00 AM
mikepro

View Profile
« Reply #1155 on: June 24, 2011, 09:38:00 AM »

"Justin Simoni Badass of the Year Trophy" That guy is amazing.

Now comes the interesting part ... zooming in on his spot shows that he's topped out on Union Pass, or Union Plateau is it were.  His last 3 spots show him a little to the side of the road, so I imagine it's a blanket of white up there and with the flat topography he's got no definitive way of knowing where the road actually lies.  So, for him, it's a cross-country white walk.  Hope it's sunny and clear in that area today.

Topic Name: TD'11 Race Discussion Reply #1156 on: June 24, 2011, 09:40:29 AM
vancouvergnome

View Profile
« Reply #1156 on: June 24, 2011, 09:40:29 AM »

Wondering what is happening to fellow Vancouverite Jackie Bonn? SPOT dot hasn't moved in days. Anyone know if this intrepid Canuck is still in the game?

Topic Name: TD'11 Race Discussion Reply #1157 on: June 24, 2011, 09:46:56 AM
mikepro

View Profile
« Reply #1157 on: June 24, 2011, 09:46:56 AM »

Top 5 Outstanding Sobo rides of Wednesday June 23:  Kurt Refsnider 200 miles (and still riding), Jefe Branham 179 miles, Dan Hill 170 miles, the Eurotrain  (Reto Koller, Saemi Burkart, Marco Costa)160 miles, and Aiden Harding 150 miles.

Seems like just about everybody is gettin' pretty well grooved on the habit of TD racing day to day by now.  These are impressive stats.  But, it did take a toll, as Eurotrain, Aidan H, Robert G, Parker S, all "slept in" by TD standards and didn't hit the saddle until 6am or later this morning.  

I've also noticed that Ethan P has not stopped for more than 4 hours in the past 2 days (i.e. no green tent symbol since Indiana Pass).  That's pro.  Yet, the gap stays the same.  

It's interesting for me to compare the none-stop-till-you-drop riding styles of these competitors.  Some for-go sleep and are in continuous forward progress.  Some sleep 4 hours and ride faster between naps.

Topic Name: TD'11 Race Discussion Reply #1158 on: June 24, 2011, 09:56:29 AM
sunset1123

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1158 on: June 24, 2011, 09:56:29 AM »

Kurt and Jefe are really blowing my mind. I've done some long days in the saddle, and seriously contemplated doing a full brevet series up to 600km... but these guys are doing centuries and 24hr rides up to intermediate brevet distances DAILY! How long can they keep it up? Just hoping they don't push it too far into the danger zone through the desert. It just isn't worth it. Amazing race!

Topic Name: TD'11 Race Discussion Reply #1159 on: June 24, 2011, 09:58:42 AM
mikepro

View Profile
« Reply #1159 on: June 24, 2011, 09:58:42 AM »

So he is NOT taking the re-routes?

Woody

Correct.  He's stayed to the main TDR route from the beginning.
  Pages: 1 ... 56 57 [58] 59 60 ... 103
Reply New Topic New Poll
Jump to: