Pages: 1 ... 46 47 [48] 49 50 ... 103
Reply Reply New Topic New Poll
  Topic Name: TD'11 Race Discussion Reply #940 on: June 21, 2011, 02:07:40 PM
mtbcast

View Profile WWW
« Reply #940 on: June 21, 2011, 02:07:40 PM »

After doing limited milage  for a couple of days trying to rejuvenate my sore knees and achilles, my left achilles pretty much locked going up teton pass. Given the wierd grinding it had been doing I decided to bow out in Jackson yesterday morning. Rather than risk serious damage and require extraction without the aid of a spot while out in the basin.

I had a great time racing the first few days around the same few racers, Derek B, caroline, deejay, jake, vance, lance to name just a few. Then as my pace dropped I was riding on my own, just bumping into riders near resupply points.

All in all a fantastic experience.I'm sad to not still be out there racing South, but look back fondly on my Divide time.

JG

Edit: At least once healed I can start my downhill mtb season. It was tough restraining myself when the bike parks opened a few weeks before the race started.

Sorry to have you drop. Get well, John!

JP - MTBCast.com

Topic Name: TD'11 Race Discussion Reply #941 on: June 21, 2011, 02:12:25 PM
mikepro

View Profile
« Reply #941 on: June 21, 2011, 02:12:25 PM »

That wouldn't be Jefe's style.  He is smart, always  moving effeciently.

No doubt.  I don't expect anyone to ride redlined and anaerobically like a 30-mile XC race.  That was a tongue-in-cheek fantasy.  I've always joked after last year's virgin experience that makin' a move in this race takes 1/2-day to many days, versus 1/2-minute to many minutes.

Topic Name: TD'11 Race Discussion Reply #942 on: June 21, 2011, 02:13:29 PM
vancouvergnome

View Profile
« Reply #942 on: June 21, 2011, 02:13:29 PM »

Been reading from the shadows Re: the debates; hotel stays and  performance enhancing supplements and I’ll throw in my 2.1 cents. What draws me to the TD and the reason I will ride it someday is  the personal challenge. Isn’t that what this race is all about? There are no grand prizes,  large purses or huge endorsements. A few of the top riders may have sponsors or benefactors but the only way they’ll ever get rich is I they fall off their bikes and strike gold. There is an TD code of conduct that is be followed and really unless another racer sees you violating a rule you are self policed. I like that, it is the purest form of competition that is what makes the race so appealing. A rider will take a wrong turn know it can never be proved but will still backtrack to the correct spot and ride on.  You cheat you are only cheating yourself no one else.

As for hotels I’m all for them. They are available to every racer and that is within the rules. I’ve done my 17 days without washing gig in the bush and there is no glory in that, only infected saddle sores (we'll come back to that later). I will easily trade a few hours for the mental recharge I get from a some hours in clean sheets and a wash “  A hot shower and I can go on for hours”

As for performance enhancing supplements. Where do you draw the line? The jolt you’ll get from; 2 Red Bulls, 5 cokes, 4 chocolate bars or my personal favourite choco covered coffee beans can all have the same affects as performance enhancing drugs. On another note I’ll be visiting my MD before my ride to stock up on antibiotics I will need as I already know that numerous days in the saddle will give me saddle sores the size of BC that that will become infected (Another reason for that hotel shower). That to me is considered an performance enhancing drug as it will let me get up every day and ride to Mexico. A future rule would disqualify me immediately.

People ride The Divide to prove something to themselves. Let them govern what they feel is appropriate when it comes to hotels and how many Naproxen they need to chew to get over that next pass.

One more thing I am having a very hard time selling this to my better half and will have resort to bribery. Anyone know if there is a nice spa resort anywhere within a few hours of AW?  Safe Riding.

Topic Name: TD'11 Race Discussion Reply #943 on: June 21, 2011, 02:18:37 PM
Spoonie

View Profile WWW
« Reply #943 on: June 21, 2011, 02:18:37 PM »

"Hey, this is Joe. I'm in Pie Town. Rode through miles of smoke yesterday. It probably took about a quarter ounce just to get to Pie Town from Beaverhead. I hope to leave tomorrow..."  beep "Hey, this is Joe. I'm in Pie Town. Where am I going again?" beep "Hey, this is Joe....Pie Town is sooo cool....<giggles uncontrollably until 3 minutes runs out>"

Post of the day!  if only there was a "like" button.  Thanks Joe Smiley

Cheers
Craig

Solo-Nutter (defn): A member of an elite breed of hardened idiot...
SpoonBoy

Topic Name: TD'11 Race Discussion Reply #944 on: June 21, 2011, 02:29:04 PM
NJD

View Profile
« Reply #944 on: June 21, 2011, 02:29:04 PM »

It doesn't mean we can't try to help prospective racers see the light on the matter, or feel as if it bears negatively on the unsupported ideal.

Anyone seriously gearing up to race the CDT has already thought through the motel vs camping vs some of each choices.  This reminds me of the different stages triathlon has gone through from it's inception with no cleats, no bike shoes, no wetsuits, no aerobars, few fancy bikes, challenge the environment, do your own mechanicals (no help allowed),etc.  Now, it's a totally different sport with all sorts of advantageous equipment, hydration, nutrition, but, the one thing that needs to be remembered is no matter the equipment or where you sleep or what you eat or drink is the "engine" is still one human body sittin' on a bike cranking off the miles on a wild ride from Point A to Point B and all points between, and that's what matters. 

Topic Name: TD'11 Race Discussion Reply #945 on: June 21, 2011, 02:30:45 PM
mtbcast

View Profile WWW
« Reply #945 on: June 21, 2011, 02:30:45 PM »

Post of the day!  if only there was a "like" button.  Thanks Joe Smiley

Cheers
Craig

icon_biggrin Yeah it'd take me two months to get to Brush Mtn. no matter where I started.

Who am I kidding, it'd likely take me that long anyway...  icon_silent

JP - MTBCast.com

Topic Name: TD'11 Race Discussion Reply #946 on: June 21, 2011, 02:38:41 PM
mtbcast

View Profile WWW
« Reply #946 on: June 21, 2011, 02:38:41 PM »

It doesn't mean we can't try to help prospective racers see the light on the matter, or feel as if it bears negatively on the unsupported ideal.

Anyone seriously gearing up to race the CDT has already thought through the motel vs camping vs some of each choices.  This reminds me of the different stages triathlon has gone through from it's inception with no cleats, no bike shoes, no wetsuits, no aerobars, few fancy bikes, challenge the environment, do your own mechanicals (no help allowed),etc.  Now, it's a totally different sport with all sorts of advantageous equipment, hydration, nutrition, but, the one thing that needs to be remembered is no matter the equipment or where you sleep or what you eat or drink is the "engine" is still one human body sittin' on a bike cranking off the miles on a wild ride from Point A to Point B and all points between, and that's what matters.  

Drugs, no drugs, hotels or not. Deep inside men of integrity know if they are tackling the course or if they +1 are tackling the course. I have no issue with hotels. There are good reasons to do so and I don't equate them with drugs. Those who choose not too are generally at an advantage for winning or breaking a record. That's just the way it is. I don't equate Red Bull to EPO. I think the differences are clear. In the end, when I go to a drag race I'm much more excited by the non-juiced 'Cuda turning a 10.5 second run than the NOS'd Nissan turning 10.4. Like you said, the engine. In the end, look at the rules and the route. Determine your course and go do your race. I'd rather lose a day to integrity than gain 2 to compromising my principles.

JP - MTBCast.com

Topic Name: TD'11 Race Discussion Reply #947 on: June 21, 2011, 02:49:41 PM
Done

View Profile
« Reply #947 on: June 21, 2011, 02:49:41 PM »

Could you imagine?  "Hey, this is Joe. I'm in Pie Town. Rode through miles of smoke yesterday. It probably took about a quarter ounce just to get to Pie Town from Beaverhead. I hope to leave tomorrow..."  beep "Hey, this is Joe. I'm in Pie Town. Where am I going again?" beep "Hey, this is Joe....Pie Town is sooo cool....<giggles uncontrollably until 3 minutes runs out>"
Awesome post, Joe! Kind of reminds me of when I was offered a puff by a friend on the CTR. After envisioning myself wandering around in the sage contemplating the meaning of the universe while searching for a Cheeto all afternoon, I politely declined. Good thing, because the next day I was seeing rabid bunny rabbits and gnomes on Cataract Ridge--and that was without chemical assistance!

If we ever have the opportunity to ride the TD together, we'll have to purge this exchange, or risk having a competitor slip us slices of magic pie...

"Done"

Topic Name: TD'11 Race Discussion Reply #948 on: June 21, 2011, 02:50:35 PM
NJD

View Profile
« Reply #948 on: June 21, 2011, 02:50:35 PM »

Determine your course and go do your race. I'd rather lose a day to integrity than gain 2 to compromising my principles.

Well said!  thumbsup

Topic Name: TD'11 Race Discussion Reply #949 on: June 21, 2011, 03:07:58 PM
Jilleo

View Profile WWW
« Reply #949 on: June 21, 2011, 03:07:58 PM »

But regarding the 'race', getting motels is a sign of weakness because doing so limits one's mileage. The primary Divide racing objective is to get to the opposite terminus as fast as humanly possible. This is not accomplished by staying in motels.Once in a blue moon timing works out perfectly, particularly in Colorado, and these occasions are things of beauty.This just warms my heart to hear. It's no coincidence, then, he's where he is in the virtual GC.

This isn't necessarily true. John Nobile set his 2008 GDR record without crawling into a sleeping bag once. He spent a couple nights out, essentially, by riding his bike through the night or very late into the early-morning hours. But there was no camping. No one has yet ridden the border-to-border section of the GDMBR faster.

But yes, for most of us hotel stays become a big time suck. In this regard, all the time advantages already go to those willing to duke it out in the dirt and festering saddle sores for multiple weeks. There's no reason to legislate hotel stays in order to level the playing field. It's just a different race strategy, and arguing that it's the wrong one is simply a personal opinion.

Every day is an adventure http://arcticglass.blogspot.com

Topic Name: TD'11 Race Discussion Reply #950 on: June 21, 2011, 03:11:09 PM
Marshal

View Profile WWW
« Reply #950 on: June 21, 2011, 03:11:09 PM »

To each his own but

“Strategic” use of hotel rooms can save time, even improve recovery and get you to AW faster. Period! 

It’s a race and if using a hotel room could improve your finish time and you decline—well then I would say you are in it for the experience more than your best possible ‘race’ time. 

which bty is just fine with me  thumbsup

Topic Name: TD'11 Race Discussion Reply #951 on: June 21, 2011, 03:27:09 PM
mgindle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #951 on: June 21, 2011, 03:27:09 PM »

Speaking of towns you are passing through...any worries at all about your ride being stolen when going into a restaurant, store, etc.?  I notice some riders carrying locks. I was thinking I would have to carry a lock (i.e.  I never leave my bike unlocked, but I live in the city...), but maybe not??
Last year (I think) Matt Lee had his bike temporarily lifted from a food stop while he was inside. Thankfully his spot unit was on his bike and not his body and with a quick phone call and some desperate panic he was able to track down his bike and carry on.

Topic Name: TD'11 Race Discussion Reply #952 on: June 21, 2011, 03:31:23 PM
mtbcast

View Profile WWW
« Reply #952 on: June 21, 2011, 03:31:23 PM »

This isn't necessarily true. John Nobile set his 2008 GDR record without crawling into a sleeping bag once. He spent a couple nights out, essentially, by riding his bike through the night or very late into the early-morning hours. But there was no camping. No one has yet ridden the border-to-border section of the GDMBR faster.

But yes, for most of us hotel stays become a big time suck. In this regard, all the time advantages already go to those willing to duke it out in the dirt and festering saddle sores for multiple weeks. There's no reason to legislate hotel stays in order to level the playing field. It's just a different race strategy, and arguing that it's the wrong one is simply a personal opinion.

There's an exception to every rule. Like drugs are bad for you, unless your Aerosmith. They're proof as rehab ruined their music. One day Joe Perry will go off the wagon and sob uncontrollably at the thought he actually played guitar on "You're My Angel."

JP - MTBCast.com

Topic Name: TD'11 Race Discussion Reply #953 on: June 21, 2011, 04:00:16 PM
mtbcast

View Profile WWW
« Reply #953 on: June 21, 2011, 04:00:16 PM »

Dan Simas called in from Rawlins to say he’s OUT. He’s been unable to work through the stomach problems that have plagued him. Dave Bruno called in from Del Norte. He’s reporting that due to a new runway at the Del Norte airport, he had to use a by-pass around the airport. An airport employee plans to put up signs for others. Judging by the pic it doesn't appear to be much of an off-route.

You can get the audio here, via RSS,  or on iTunes!

* delnorte_airport.jpg (334.14 KB, 583x538 - viewed 560 times.)

JP - MTBCast.com

Topic Name: TD'11 Race Discussion Reply #954 on: June 21, 2011, 04:07:18 PM
29singlespeed

View Profile
« Reply #954 on: June 21, 2011, 04:07:18 PM »

There's an exception to every rule. Like drugs are bad for you, unless your Aerosmith. They're proof as rehab ruined their music. One day Joe Perry will go off the wagon and sob uncontrollably at the thought he actually played guitar on "You're My Angel."

You my friend, are cracking me up. As we sit here waiting for action the TD being very unproductive at anything.

Josh Shifferly hit Salida - would be nice if he would call in, but not his style. Maybe someone we capture a picture of him in Salida.

Parker Smith and Robert Giannini made some good time today as well and rolling into Salida.

Ethan just missed a turn.

Dave Bruno rolled right through Del Norte and flying the past few days.

Dejay Birtch is probably entertaining Kristin @ BrushMtn very well, hoping for some pics.

Finally; I would of loved to be a fly on the wall to hear Paul A and Justin Simoni's conversation as they passed and Paul debates detours or not.

Topic Name: TD'11 Race Discussion Reply #955 on: June 21, 2011, 04:09:30 PM
Marshal

View Profile WWW
« Reply #955 on: June 21, 2011, 04:09:30 PM »

Every considered a rule about racing clean, without prescription meds or performance enhancing supplements? I guarantee it would change the whole event.

humm, I used some no-doz and Aleve to great effect.  I also took my percribed daily simvastatin and used some Orajel mixed with my AD on the saddle sores

But I guess I am missing the boat, specifically what else might I have used to race un-clean??

With such a strong 'result guarantee' I would really really like to know

Topic Name: TD'11 Race Discussion Reply #956 on: June 21, 2011, 04:37:25 PM
caseygreene

View Profile WWW
« Reply #956 on: June 21, 2011, 04:37:25 PM »

Eddie Clark just posted a MF article with some great pics:
http://www.mountainflyermagazine.com/view.php/2011-tour-divide-post-1of-3.html

Also, Crazy Larry got some cool photos up from the start in Banff:
http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.165764556823212.46802.100001690072818

Cartographer - Adventure Cycling Association

Topic Name: TD'11 Race Discussion Reply #957 on: June 21, 2011, 04:45:12 PM
SlowDave

View Profile
« Reply #957 on: June 21, 2011, 04:45:12 PM »

Last year (I think) Matt Lee had his bike temporarily lifted from a food stop while he was inside. Thankfully his spot unit was on his bike and not his body and with a quick phone call and some desperate panic he was able to track down his bike and carry on.

I hope there wasn't any forward progress involved. Smiley

Topic Name: TD'11 Race Discussion Reply #958 on: June 21, 2011, 04:52:47 PM
SlowDave

View Profile
« Reply #958 on: June 21, 2011, 04:52:47 PM »

humm, I used some no-doz and Aleve to great effect.  I also took my percribed daily simvastatin and used some Orajel mixed with my AD on the saddle sores

But I guess I am missing the boat, specifically what else might I have used to race un-clean??

With such a strong 'result guarantee' I would really really like to know

Provigil comes to mind.  The military gives it to fighter pilots for long missions.  I have an Rx for it for my MS like condition.  I have used it driving across country and it is like Gee it is 4:00 am, it was just noon.  I don't like taking it because it screws up my resting heart rate which I monitor to make sure I am not over training.  I have never exerted myself fully while using it and I would certainly talk to a doc before trying to exert myself while taking it.

Topic Name: TD'11 Race Discussion Reply #959 on: June 21, 2011, 05:06:15 PM
Mathewsen

View Profile
« Reply #959 on: June 21, 2011, 05:06:15 PM »

I hope there wasn't any forward progress involved. Smiley
Oh, but there was. Only, I was running awkwardly behind the bike uttering 'MF', rather than pedaling it. The bike (and rider) got away temporarily, but I believe he moved laterally off route almost immediately (before progressing). The very slow-to-respond Grants police slapped me with a 2hr bureaucratic penalty so I consider it a wash. In the end it meant i didn't have to move on from Pie Town before the Pie-o-neer opened so there was a silver lining.
  Pages: 1 ... 46 47 [48] 49 50 ... 103
Reply New Topic New Poll
Jump to: