Pages: 1 ... 45 46 [47] 48 49 ... 103
Reply Reply New Topic New Poll
  Topic Name: TD'11 Race Discussion Reply #920 on: June 21, 2011, 11:44:51 AM
sjanes

View Profile
« Reply #920 on: June 21, 2011, 11:44:51 AM »

so, if its common knowledge that a hoteling is slower, then there is no reason to change the rules to include or exclude hotel stays,  by staying in a hotel, one is by default slowing down, causing more mental difficulty etc.    If it were somehow giving people an edge, to stay in a hotel then it would be something to be concerned about,  but since its not....

Also, using local businesses is going to keep the locals happy and hopefully will continue to treat the racers/riders with respect.   

Topic Name: TD'11 Race Discussion Reply #921 on: June 21, 2011, 12:01:52 PM
cyn

View Profile
« Reply #921 on: June 21, 2011, 12:01:52 PM »

Hey cyn,
Thanks for the info.
On a side note is there any chance Gold Dust trail is ridable in a few days? You know since you up there riding Boreas pass Rd.

Woody

Woody,
I seriously doubt Gold Dust will be rideable in a few days.  Maybe I'll go check it out this afternoon.   By comparison Baker's Tank trail is probably still a week away from being ready - tried to ride it Sunday and it was full of snow drifts.   

cyn

Topic Name: TD'11 Race Discussion Reply #922 on: June 21, 2011, 12:02:44 PM
Mathewsen

View Profile
« Reply #922 on: June 21, 2011, 12:02:44 PM »

Every considered a rule about racing clean, without prescription meds or performance enhancing supplements? I guarantee it would change the whole event.
TD can't even afford to pay the 5K environmental assessment required to obtain permission to use the Spray River trail in BNP. How would you propose Rx testing be funded?
so, if its common knowledge that a hoteling is slower, then there is no reason to change the rules to include or exclude hotel stays,  by staying in a hotel, one is by default slowing down, causing more mental difficulty etc.    If it were somehow giving people an edge, to stay in a hotel then it would be something to be concerned about,  but since its not....
Also, using local businesses is going to keep the locals happy and hopefully will continue to treat the racers/riders with respect.
I wouldn't say it's common knowledge. We forget that 75% of TD racers do not read this forum...but yep, it's a good, 'neither required or prohibited' element. They're just one of many trappings to steer clear of. It doesn't mean we can't try to help prospective racers see the light on the matter, or feel as if it bears negatively on the unsupported ideal. Many only have one shot at TD. Doing it right the first time is hard to do. Helping people mitigate regret is what some of these forum threads are all about. thumbsup

Topic Name: TD'11 Race Discussion Reply #923 on: June 21, 2011, 12:09:02 PM
ridingman1

Drinkin' upstream from the herd

View Profile WWW
« Reply #923 on: June 21, 2011, 12:09:02 PM »

Are you "guaranteeing" that TD riders are taking illegal performance-enhancing drugs, or are you just throwing stink bombs? Honest question.

Just being honest. It was very disappointing to see what people had or hear what they talked about. There are many clean, solid riders in the field, and if you need meds to keep you sane, that is between you and your doc.

Topic Name: TD'11 Race Discussion Reply #924 on: June 21, 2011, 12:12:21 PM
ridingman1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #924 on: June 21, 2011, 12:12:21 PM »

TD can't even afford to pay the 5K environmental assessment required to obtain permission to use the Spray River trail in BNP. How would you propose Rx testing be funded?

No funding required - just another rule about the use of performance enhancing drugs and supplements that is consistent with the spirit of the event being a solo adventure.

Topic Name: TD'11 Race Discussion Reply #925 on: June 21, 2011, 12:22:28 PM
mikepro

View Profile
« Reply #925 on: June 21, 2011, 12:22:28 PM »

Just noticing that Jefe B stopped for about 1-hr less in Del Norte as compared to Kurt R.

I wonder what climbing the first few steep pitches on the road up Indiana Pass (once road turns to gravel) is like on a 32x19 ??  I fantasize that this guy Jefe is "cleaning" the pitches with quads of steel, leaned forward with chest over the bars, weaving the front wheel with each revolution, grit of determination on his face, putting in all the effort to climb at 3.5 mph, and not walking.

Topic Name: TD'11 Race Discussion Reply #926 on: June 21, 2011, 12:25:38 PM
NJD

View Profile
« Reply #926 on: June 21, 2011, 12:25:38 PM »

I totally agree.  From what I've been reading on this forum, local businesses up and down the CD are more than willing to bend over backwards for all racers, and that's worth everything.     

Topic Name: TD'11 Race Discussion Reply #927 on: June 21, 2011, 12:30:03 PM
Mathewsen

View Profile
« Reply #927 on: June 21, 2011, 12:30:03 PM »

No funding required - just another rule about the use of performance enhancing drugs and supplements that is consistent with the spirit of the event being a solo adventure.
Fair enough, and I suppose it's worth it's weight in font. It falls in line with the other un-enforceables.

For the record, my take on Rx for TD is, if it's over the counter or you are carrying a medically justified scrip for it, it's fair game. Weed would be the only OTC exception that I could care less about. Though perhaps not true of a 3-500mi event, for TD it's simply not possible to excel by it (for very long).

Topic Name: TD'11 Race Discussion Reply #928 on: June 21, 2011, 12:31:18 PM
sjanes

View Profile
« Reply #928 on: June 21, 2011, 12:31:18 PM »

We forget that 75% of TD racers do not read this forum...but yep, it's a good, 'neither required or prohibited' element. They're just one of many trappings to steer clear of. It doesn't mean we can't try to help prospective racers see the light on the matter, or feel as if it bears negatively on the unsupported ideal. Many only have one shot at TD. Doing it right the first time is hard to do. Helping people mitigate regret is what some of these forum threads are all about. thumbsup
I agree,  inform people and let them make their choices.

Topic Name: TD'11 Race Discussion Reply #929 on: June 21, 2011, 12:35:34 PM
SandSurfer

View Profile
« Reply #929 on: June 21, 2011, 12:35:34 PM »

Fair enough, and I suppose it's worth it's weight in font. It falls in line with the other un-enforceables.

For the record, my take on Rx for TD is, if it's over the counter or you are carrying a medically justified scrip for it, it's fair game. Weed would be the only OTC exception that I could care less about. Though perhaps not true of a 3-500mi event, for TD it's simply not possible to excel by it (for very long).

Sweet.  If I do the TD someday I'll stock up on Sudafed (the real stuff, pseudo ephedrine, that they keep behind the counter).  Just kidding, but if you're going to put a statement, you might say that (as with all other rules of honesty) use it only if it is really medically necessary.

Topic Name: TD'11 Race Discussion Reply #930 on: June 21, 2011, 12:42:49 PM
ridingman1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #930 on: June 21, 2011, 12:42:49 PM »

I totally agree.  From what I've been reading on this forum, local businesses up and down the CD are more than willing to bend over backwards for all racers, and that's worth everything.     

The locals really do go out of their way to help the racers. It is like a giant stadium and they are part of the event and want everyone to succeed. I was overwhelmed with their hospitality, very heartwarming. The locals are probably the best kept secret of the whole event.

Topic Name: TD'11 Race Discussion Reply #931 on: June 21, 2011, 12:48:33 PM
SlowDave

View Profile
« Reply #931 on: June 21, 2011, 12:48:33 PM »

The locals really do go out of their way to help the racers. It is like a giant stadium and they are part of the event and want everyone to succeed. I was overwhelmed with their hospitality, very heartwarming. The locals are probably the best kept secret of the whole event.

Nothing special, just common courtesy in small town America AKA fly over country.  And yes these businesses really need every dollar spent these days.  If were are not careful they will end up going the way of the independent book seller, extinct. 

Topic Name: TD'11 Race Discussion Reply #932 on: June 21, 2011, 01:06:00 PM
Cosmo K

View Profile
« Reply #932 on: June 21, 2011, 01:06:00 PM »

Speaking of towns you are passing through...any worries at all about your ride being stolen when going into a restaurant, store, etc.?  I notice some riders carrying locks. I was thinking I would have to carry a lock (i.e.  I never leave my bike unlocked, but I live in the city...), but maybe not??

Topic Name: TD'11 Race Discussion Reply #933 on: June 21, 2011, 01:06:57 PM
gpe

View Profile
« Reply #933 on: June 21, 2011, 01:06:57 PM »

In addition to stalking the progress of my own family members (who are making their way through the basin now), I've been following the progress of fellow Belgian Kim Raeymaekers.  He was really cruising the past few days, but now his spot has been stuck in Rawlins for the 17 hours.  Does anybody have any idea if he's on the move?

Topic Name: TD'11 Race Discussion Reply #934 on: June 21, 2011, 01:07:53 PM
6thElement

View Profile
« Reply #934 on: June 21, 2011, 01:07:53 PM »

After doing limited milage  for a couple of days trying to rejuvenate my sore knees and achilles, my left achilles pretty much locked going up teton pass. Given the wierd grinding it had been doing I decided to bow out in Jackson yesterday morning. Rather than risk serious damage and require extraction without the aid of a spot while out in the basin.

I had a great time racing the first few days around the same few racers, Derek B, caroline, deejay, jake, vance, lance to name just a few. Then as my pace dropped I was riding on my own, just bumping into riders near resupply points.

All in all a fantastic experience.I'm sad to not still be out there racing South, but look back fondly on my Divide time.

JG

Edit: At least once healed I can start my downhill mtb season. It was tough restraining myself when the bike parks opened a few weeks before the race started.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2011, 01:56:04 PM by 6thElement » Logged

Topic Name: TD'11 Race Discussion Reply #935 on: June 21, 2011, 01:14:52 PM
DaveH

View Profile
« Reply #935 on: June 21, 2011, 01:14:52 PM »

Just noticing that Jefe B stopped for about 1-hr less in Del Norte as compared to Kurt R.

I wonder what climbing the first few steep pitches on the road up Indiana Pass (once road turns to gravel) is like on a 32x19 ??  I fantasize that this guy Jefe is "cleaning" the pitches with quads of steel, leaned forward with chest over the bars, weaving the front wheel with each revolution, grit of determination on his face, putting in all the effort to climb at 3.5 mph, and not walking.

That wouldn't be Jefe's style.  He is smart, always moving forward efficiently.  He is no doubt the fastest guy on his feet in the race, too.  He can push a bike uphill faster than many can ride!  He's a perpetual motion machine.

Topic Name: TD'11 Race Discussion Reply #936 on: June 21, 2011, 01:19:56 PM
bmike-vt

View Profile WWW
« Reply #936 on: June 21, 2011, 01:19:56 PM »

is the race flow done for good? or will it come back with data from the whole race?

Topic Name: TD'11 Race Discussion Reply #937 on: June 21, 2011, 01:21:56 PM
woody

View Profile
« Reply #937 on: June 21, 2011, 01:21:56 PM »

looks like Jefe is 4 or 5 miles behind Kurt

Topic Name: TD'11 Race Discussion Reply #938 on: June 21, 2011, 02:06:28 PM
mtbcast

View Profile WWW
« Reply #938 on: June 21, 2011, 02:06:28 PM »

Weed would be the only OTC exception that I could care less about. Though perhaps not true of a 3-500mi event, for TD it's simply not possible to excel by it (for very long).

Could you imagine?  "Hey, this is Joe. I'm in Pie Town. Rode through miles of smoke yesterday. It probably took about a quarter ounce just to get to Pie Town from Beaverhead. I hope to leave tomorrow..."  beep "Hey, this is Joe. I'm in Pie Town. Where am I going again?" beep "Hey, this is Joe....Pie Town is sooo cool....<giggles uncontrollably until 3 minutes runs out>"

Never got into it. More laughy, more sleepy.  icon_biggrin

JP - MTBCast.com

Topic Name: TD'11 Race Discussion Reply #939 on: June 21, 2011, 02:06:58 PM
mikepro

View Profile
« Reply #939 on: June 21, 2011, 02:06:58 PM »

looks like Jefe is 4 or 5 miles behind Kurt

Gap grows to 11-miles-and-change as Kurt goes down while Jefe goes up.
  Pages: 1 ... 45 46 [47] 48 49 ... 103
Reply New Topic New Poll
Jump to: