View Profile
« Reply #860 on: June 20, 2011, 10:58:51 PM »

I'd probably not rule Ethan out.

2 CTR wins and this little gem:

1 6:45:45 Dave Wiens
2 6:47:41 Lance Armstrong
3 7:20:52 Manuel Prado
4 7:27:54 Ethan Passant

These TD riders just aren't all couch potatoes with a wild hair. Thanks for posting the bio's here.

Topic Name: TD'11 Race Discussion Reply #861 on: June 20, 2011, 11:14:49 PM
29singlespeed

View Profile
« Reply #861 on: June 20, 2011, 11:14:49 PM »

Appears Kurt, Jefe and Ethan are all still on the move.

Josh and Aidan are right where there are hotels in Silverton, after a cold night out - a much deserved room!

Dejay Birtch pushed on passed Rawlings (must not of been enough whiskey)

Paul A. (nobo) has made it to driggs!

Everyone on course doing great! It's interesting to see the spread out with the number of people on course this year.

Topic Name: TD'11 Race Discussion Reply #862 on: June 20, 2011, 11:30:30 PM
Pelican Peloton

View Profile
« Reply #862 on: June 20, 2011, 11:30:30 PM »

David Horton did an impressive 150 mile ride on Monday from Driggs Idaho to out beyond Boulder Wyoming.  However, he missed the turn before getting to Pinedale and took highway 191 around Corra Butte.

Topic Name: TD'11 Race Discussion Reply #863 on: June 20, 2011, 11:34:58 PM
29singlespeed

View Profile
« Reply #863 on: June 20, 2011, 11:34:58 PM »

David Horton did an impressive 150 mile ride on Monday from Driggs Idaho to out beyond Boulder Wyoming.  However, he missed the turn before getting to Pinedale and took highway 191 around Corra Butte.

Not the only one. Nice work David!

Topic Name: TD'11 Race Discussion Reply #864 on: June 20, 2011, 11:52:25 PM
mtbcast

View Profile WWW
« Reply #864 on: June 20, 2011, 11:52:25 PM »

TD11 - Denis Chezelle called in from Kremling. It was snowing when he left Frisco.

You can get the audio here, via RSS,  or on iTunes!

JP - MTBCast.com

Topic Name: TD'11 Race Discussion Reply #865 on: June 20, 2011, 11:54:09 PM
mikepro

View Profile
« Reply #865 on: June 20, 2011, 11:54:09 PM »

J Voss - sleepin' in or next to the outhouse at the boat launch for Stagecoach Res, by the looks of his spot.   sleepy1

Topic Name: TD'11 Race Discussion Reply #866 on: June 20, 2011, 11:59:02 PM
Pelican Peloton

View Profile
« Reply #866 on: June 20, 2011, 11:59:02 PM »

Justin Simoni is just one day behind the 8 riders in front of him. Today he has to cross over the mud east of Lima but if Justin keeps up his current pace, he could lose his place as lantern rougue while going though Wyoming.  

Topic Name: TD'11 Race Discussion Reply #867 on: June 21, 2011, 12:00:21 AM
Georg66

View Profile WWW
« Reply #867 on: June 21, 2011, 12:00:21 AM »

Not the only one. Nice work David!
... he was following the traces of Ethan ... but it's a minor detour, according to Math. Go ahead, David!

Private Homepage

pain is temporary - glory is forever

Topic Name: TD'11 Race Discussion Reply #868 on: June 21, 2011, 02:44:42 AM
mtbcast

View Profile WWW
« Reply #868 on: June 21, 2011, 02:44:42 AM »

Jeffrey Tomassetti called in from Rawlins with a recap.

You can get the audio here, via RSS,  or on iTunes!

JP - MTBCast.com

Topic Name: TD'11 Race Discussion Reply #869 on: June 21, 2011, 04:15:25 AM
Mrs.BigPoppa

View Profile
« Reply #869 on: June 21, 2011, 04:15:25 AM »

J Voss - sleepin' in or next to the outhouse at the boat launch for Stagecoach Res, by the looks of his spot.   sleepy1

Sounds heavenly. :-/  At least it's dry I guess.

Topic Name: TD'11 Race Discussion Reply #870 on: June 21, 2011, 04:20:41 AM
fromBrushMtn

View Profile
« Reply #870 on: June 21, 2011, 04:20:41 AM »

Anyone have any idea what happened with Mike Hall? Spot failure; sabbatical???

Mike was here for an extra while...nursing a sore ankle/knee...

he and Ben One-y just left this morning...headed for steamboat.

Topic Name: TD'11 Race Discussion Reply #871 on: June 21, 2011, 06:20:18 AM
crossboy

View Profile
« Reply #871 on: June 21, 2011, 06:20:18 AM »

Watching the front runners is getting good.Ethan is my bet for the win.He is so well versed out there.CTR win,Leadville 7:30,and lets not forget his win this year in The Elk Mountain Grand Traverse,after placing 2ND the two years prior.Its going to be a fun week of tracking.

T.Ray, I'll take that bet. I've seen a lot of info posted about Ethan and Jefe, maybe because Kurt is a "favorite?" Well, here's part of the reason why: http://www.topofusion.com/azt/results.php

Overall record holder for 750mi AZT traverse (ITT 2010, bettering Jefe's 300mi record in the process), 2009 AZT300 winner, 2nd in his first TD, and on track to seriously set some records in AZ this year before he bashed his kneecap near Tucson. And, going back in time, Kurt is one heck of a 'cross racer -- this boy has speed!

But that's just part of the story: As noted, he and SO Caroline (current ladies leader) are based in Boulder, CO, where Kurt is/was finishing his doctorate in some sort of amazingly advance geo-physical stuff that's way above my head. He spends a month each year above the Arctic Circle tracking the retreat of the glaciers, where a few years back he found a set of old GT hardtails left over from a doomed crossing of the North Pole ... eerie stuff, for sure. He recently confirmed that he's been posted to his first faculty job later this year, at a school in Arizona -- you can bet he looked for jobs where the singletrack was plentiful! And, Kurt is one of the most genuinely nicest people I've ever met, and I have the honor of calling him a friend.

Plus, he's funny -- check out his blog at http://krefs.blogspot.com/

Now, full disclosure: I've known Kurt for a long time, and my company is one of his sponsors. I have the most tremendous respect for Ethan and Jefe and all of the TD and ITTers out there, but definitely have a soft spot wanting to see Krefs pull this one off in a big way!

Topic Name: TD'11 Race Discussion Reply #872 on: June 21, 2011, 06:43:31 AM
Slowerthensnot

Have fun and go far

View Profile WWW
« Reply #872 on: June 21, 2011, 06:43:31 AM »

T.Ray, I'll take that bet. I've seen a lot of info posted about Ethan and Jefe, maybe because Kurt is a "favorite?" Well, here's part of the reason why: http://www.topofusion.com/azt/results.php

Overall record holder for 750mi AZT traverse (ITT 2010, bettering Jefe's 300mi record in the process), 2009 AZT300 winner, 2nd in his first TD, and on track to seriously set some records in AZ this year before he bashed his kneecap near Tucson. And, going back in time, Kurt is one heck of a 'cross racer -- this boy has speed!

But that's just part of the story: As noted, he and SO Caroline (current ladies leader) are based in Boulder, CO, where Kurt is/was finishing his doctorate in some sort of amazingly advance geo-physical stuff that's way above my head. He spends a month each year above the Arctic Circle tracking the retreat of the glaciers, where a few years back he found a set of old GT hardtails left over from a doomed crossing of the North Pole ... eerie stuff, for sure. He recently confirmed that he's been posted to his first faculty job later this year, at a school in Arizona -- you can bet he looked for jobs where the singletrack was plentiful! And, Kurt is one of the most genuinely nicest people I've ever met, and I have the honor of calling him a friend.

Plus, he's funny -- check out his blog at http://krefs.blogspot.com/

Now, full disclosure: I've known Kurt for a long time, and my company is one of his sponsors. I have the most tremendous respect for Ethan and Jefe and all of the TD and ITTers out there, but definitely have a soft spot wanting to see Krefs pull this one off in a big way!

I know the lead pack quite well and i'd be super stoked for any of them!! I just hope i get to see them on the route when i start friday!

Topic Name: TD'11 Race Discussion Reply #873 on: June 21, 2011, 06:46:45 AM
muze

View Profile
« Reply #873 on: June 21, 2011, 06:46:45 AM »

I know the lead pack quite well and i'd be super stoked for any of them!! I just hope i get to see them on the route when i start friday!

Good wishes on your ride! We'll be watching.  icon_biggrin

Topic Name: TD'11 Race Discussion Reply #874 on: June 21, 2011, 07:10:43 AM
cyn

View Profile
« Reply #874 on: June 21, 2011, 07:10:43 AM »

I feel like a Tour Divide stalker.  In the last 3 days I've seen/spoke to 4 of the riders just doing my normal routine and all of them are riding well and look happy.

I live in Boulder but this summer I have a place off Boress Pass road and am living up here part-time.   I'm training for the Breck Epic.

On Sunday while I was finishing up my 6 hour ride, heading home and feeling quite worked - Dave Bruno passed me right before the pavement turns to dirt on Boress Pass road.  I had to speed up to keep up with him and we had a nice chat.  Among other things he mentioned his stop at DQ and how great his milk shake tasted.   He was riding strong, looked like he was riding at a really comfortable pace and was very happy and upbeat.

Then I drove to Breck to get a bag of ice for my ice bath and saw Jefe on my way home and chatted with him a bit.  He was looking very comfortable and mighty strong too.

Sunday night we had a storm with a ton of rain and snow - the only "rideable" dirt was Boress Pass road so I went out to get my miles in and ran into Ross going the other direction.   He stopped and said hello and asked me "are you riding for fun??  in these conditions and weather?"(drivetrain eating grit and light snow)   I told him I'm putting in my miles for the BE an he said "that's a really hard race".   I just laughed -are you kidding me?  it's nothing like the tour divide.  He was in great spirits and was riding well.  

This morning on my way back from town to get my morning beverage i saw Josh.   I said hello and we spoke briefly.  He was riding very well and seemed extremely motivated.

it's been really cool to see the racers - i am totally amazed that they have been riding for a while and they all looked like they were riding in their comfort zone and they were all moving at a good clip.

good luck to all of them!
cyn
« Last Edit: June 21, 2011, 07:14:09 AM by cyn » Logged

Topic Name: TD'11 Race Discussion Reply #875 on: June 21, 2011, 07:32:13 AM
TamaraD2010

View Profile
« Reply #875 on: June 21, 2011, 07:32:13 AM »

Thanks for the update Cyn!  Good luck with your training and the Breck Epic!

Topic Name: TD'11 Race Discussion Reply #876 on: June 21, 2011, 07:58:36 AM
Mathewsen

View Profile
« Reply #876 on: June 21, 2011, 07:58:36 AM »

One of the bigger things in Kurt's favor (particularly at this stage) is the 'veteran' tag next to his name. He has paid his dues, which is a big deal in TD. It's a very rare thing to return from Antelope Wells with both top rookie and GC honors.

Topic Name: TD'11 Race Discussion Reply #877 on: June 21, 2011, 08:09:34 AM
DaveH

View Profile
« Reply #877 on: June 21, 2011, 08:09:34 AM »

Awesome update Cyn!

Jefe is looking great.  Kurt too.  Ethan too! I can't take any bets, they all are rock stars.

Of the 3 of them, Ethan has got the most pure speed (although Kurt is close).  Pure speed can be a problem for long events - the real limiter after a time becomes how many calories you can process.  That speed doesn't come from thin air...but speed is one more part of the equation, an additional trick in a rider's bag of lucky charms.  It means one can sleep a bit more and go faster when going.  I know that has always been my best tactic.

Unlike CTR where it's endlessly slow and techy, this beast requires you stay on the gas.  I'm guessing that's what Ethan has been bumping up against the past few days. If he gets control of his super powers I think he can make the front.  It will take some herculean motivation, and I think Jefe is transitioning into that runaway freight train Stefan referred to and will complicate matters for both Kurt and Ethan...as they approach the NM border the smell of the barn (it's all relative, right?) must growing.

Still, I don't think Kurt has laid all his cards down, and he knows exactly what lies ahead.  There are more fireworks to come from that bundle of enduro talent.

It's heating up the next few days.  Let's hope they all stay safe in the scorched lands of NM.  What a paradoxical year.

Topic Name: TD'11 Race Discussion Reply #878 on: June 21, 2011, 08:11:57 AM
DaveH

View Profile
« Reply #878 on: June 21, 2011, 08:11:57 AM »

It's a very rare thing to return from Antelope Wells with both top rookie and GC honors.
Especially considering one certain rider has had a stranglehold on the GC honors since the event's inception Wink

Topic Name: TD'11 Race Discussion Reply #879 on: June 21, 2011, 08:24:42 AM
Done

View Profile
« Reply #879 on: June 21, 2011, 08:24:42 AM »

I've been sending Kurt good vibes from the start. While I've never met him in person, Kurt has been generous and encouraging in our online exchanges. It's always a pleasure to come across someone who competes at the elite level, but is still modest, kind, and real.

"Done"
  Pages: 1 ... 42 43 [44] 45 46 ... 103
Reply New Topic New Poll
Jump to: