Pages: 1 ... 37 38 [39] 40 41 ... 103
Reply Reply New Topic New Poll
  Topic Name: TD'11 Race Discussion Reply #760 on: June 19, 2011, 09:24:11 PM
russmcb

View Profile
« Reply #760 on: June 19, 2011, 09:24:11 PM »

Russ McBride here with my wrap-up post.  Big thanks to Matt, Scott, the trail recon'ers, and everyone else who helped maked the race possible.  I'm in Steamboat at the Rabbit Ears motel still eating, sleeping, and letting my wounds heal.  (Apologies to those trying to reach me on my cell; no reception here).  It turns out I have a "grade 1 tear" in my left quad so it'll be better soon (higher numbered grades are apparently worse).  I think peddling over the nasty section from Cuba to Abiquiu with only one "real" pedal on the left side predisposed me to a problem with my left leg. Didn't have the best of luck with mechanicals (one pedal break, two chain breaks, one broken derailleur and hanger).  Huge thanks to Dana  from the Abiquiu Inn who drove me to Santa Fe for a new pedal.  And big thanks to all the local race fans whose support was amazing, especially David and Sue from Como/Fairplay, Absolute Bikes, and the folks in the Breck bike shop that set me up with a new derailleur, hanger, and chain in record time.

Someone asked about why I wasn't moving for an hour on the pass above Como.  I broke my chain, then derailleur and derailleur hanger which I was able, with work, to convert into a chain-tensioned single speed.  Franck went so far as to double back the pass and check on me--very kind.  

I'll really miss riding with Paul and Franck.  I had the pleasure of riding with Franck my whole race, an enjoyably obnoxious french guy who's been riding from the beginning with some kind of lung infection/cold and zero complaints.  He's got a great attitude.  I wish he and Paul the best and wish I was still riding with them.  Paul is amazingly efficient at his pit stops and can get by on impressively little sleep.

I got lucky with the Arizona fire smoke and missed almost all of it, but it's horrendous.  Sobo's: if you run into it I'd suggest at least putting a wet bandana over your mouth to filter out some of the pollutants to protect your lungs.  And don't forget to get some apple/pinon/chile pie from the Pioneer Cafe. Mmmmmm.

Best memories:  the elk family on Marshal pass at sunrise, the sprint "fights" between Paul, Franck, and myself heading into Cuba, the folks at the Toaster house, the rabbit that weaved itself between the three of us at 30mph, the folks at Seargents, and Sylvie at the "Snack Shack" ... and that one really hard uphill all-out sprint to avoid dog bites in Vallecitos.

Best wishes,
russ  

Topic Name: TD'11 Race Discussion Reply #761 on: June 19, 2011, 09:40:00 PM
BigPoppa

View Profile WWW
« Reply #761 on: June 19, 2011, 09:40:00 PM »

I wonder if Justin Voss has stopped for the night? Or if his Spot just skipping a uplink or two?  And I really wonder if he knows just how close he is to the Golden Spike, soft bed, hot food and cool drink, oh and Mike Hall in 8th place?

Go Justin

I turned off my spot because I thought I was here!

My home made profile sheet was off just a tad....

Other than that, theyhave really helped out in this race! I have tons of tactical advantage...

Topic Name: TD'11 Race Discussion Reply #762 on: June 19, 2011, 09:53:14 PM
riverfever

View Profile
« Reply #762 on: June 19, 2011, 09:53:14 PM »

I just spoke with Kurt a bit out of Hartsel. He looks/sounds good.

Topic Name: TD'11 Race Discussion Reply #763 on: June 19, 2011, 09:53:29 PM
Roland Sturm

View Profile WWW
« Reply #763 on: June 19, 2011, 09:53:29 PM »

Lots of trackers not getting update. Ethan, Roland Sturm, Dave goldberg and I am sure there are others..

Batteries? Weather? SPOT issues?
My location often doesn't seem to be updated. I fed my spot 5 sets of batteries since the start already and it has a prime location on my seat bag. It just seems to cut out for hours, but then comes back, no obvious reason. Anyway, regardless of what it says, I escaped from the freezing rain (not yet snow, although it might be soon) into a hotel in Silverthorne.  Met Kurt coming down Boreas, but called it a day a bit earlier than he did (looks like he is still on the move, but then Boreas was not a hospitable place tonight). Ross and Denis were probably not far behind me and presumably also are staying in the neighborhood. So far, we've always passed each other on the trail, but maybe not this time. I'm probably in no rush getting into the freezing rain tomorrow morning (although with freshly laundered clothes).

Topic Name: TD'11 Race Discussion Reply #764 on: June 19, 2011, 09:57:17 PM
KathyB

View Profile
« Reply #764 on: June 19, 2011, 09:57:17 PM »

Lots of trackers not getting update. Ethan, Roland Sturm, Dave goldberg and I am sure there are others..

Batteries? Weather? SPOT issues?
Roland's SPOT has been weird all day today, despite new batteries yesterday.  The board is showing him south of Breckenridge, but he just called us from Silverthorne. He met Kurt who was heading up Boreas as Roland was coming down, and sent these pictures.

* Kurt R small.jpg (392.59 KB, 800x600 - viewed 705 times.)

* Boreas top small.jpg (224.86 KB, 1024x768 - viewed 701 times.)

Topic Name: TD'11 Race Discussion Reply #765 on: June 19, 2011, 10:19:56 PM
KathyB

View Profile
« Reply #765 on: June 19, 2011, 10:19:56 PM »

another NoBo picture of Ross Delaplane taking off for Salida (for Tamara and Ross's parents and all the Southbound riders and supporters looking ahead.)

* Ross takes off.jpg (465.3 KB, 1024x768 - viewed 686 times.)

Topic Name: TD'11 Race Discussion Reply #766 on: June 19, 2011, 10:21:05 PM
Roland Sturm

View Profile WWW
« Reply #766 on: June 19, 2011, 10:21:05 PM »

Kathy may also be able to post a picture from the AW start with everybody. The Nobo group was a very self-organized group, came 7 am, a number of cars rolled in. We lined up for passport stamps and border sign pics and off we went punctually at 8 am to the sound of a border patrol car siren.

The first day started nice enough, but turned out the be rather hellish. Scott's blog of his trip is a good indicator for future NOBO starters, this may be one of the days were the direction makes a huge difference. It started well enough, little wind and pavement, and the group cruised at a very fast pace, the top guys even too fast for the Hachita store to be open. But then headwind into Separ where the thermometer already showed 100. And more headwind in the afternoon during the climb. I curled up under a Yucca for a little bit to escape from the sun (there is no shade at all otherwise). Although I made it to Silver City pretty early, I was in no shape to push on that day, few people were, and was very dehydrated despite drinking 2 1/2 gallons that day. Anyway, this may explain why the NOBO group had drop outs after day 1 and a pretty high attrition rate afterwards.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2011, 09:35:08 AM by Roland Sturm » Logged

Topic Name: TD'11 Race Discussion Reply #767 on: June 19, 2011, 10:28:46 PM
KathyB

View Profile
« Reply #767 on: June 19, 2011, 10:28:46 PM »

Kathy may also be able to post a picture from the AW start with everybody.
Yes, here is the NoBo start and a picture from the first day through the Separ desert.

* NoBo start small.jpg (328.94 KB, 1600x1200 - viewed 672 times.)

* Separ desert.jpg (92.2 KB, 800x600 - viewed 662 times.)

Topic Name: TD'11 Race Discussion Reply #768 on: June 19, 2011, 10:42:14 PM
29singlespeed

View Profile
« Reply #768 on: June 19, 2011, 10:42:14 PM »

The first day started nice enough, but turned out the be rather hellish. Scott's blog of his trip is a good indicator for future NOBO starters, this may be one of the days were the direction makes a huge difference.

Does anyone have Scotts blog?
Great pictures and information. Nice work Roland! Keep smiling and pedaling!

Topic Name: TD'11 Race Discussion Reply #769 on: June 19, 2011, 10:47:29 PM
gpe

View Profile
« Reply #769 on: June 19, 2011, 10:47:29 PM »

I was glad to hear that Martin "without-a-SPOT" Wimpenny made it to Jackson.  Tom called me last night (not sure if 4am counts as last night or this morning for me...) to say they had inadvertently lost Martin.  They were riding as fast as possible to get away from the treacherous Rail Trail.  I'm not sure what happened (this is where my 4am brain comes in), but what I deduced was that three of them must have stopped at bike shop and they assume Martin carried on thinking they were farther ahead.  The upshot is that Tom, JP and Ray also ended in Jackson on Sunday, so maybe they will find each other at Monday pancakes.  At least that way we'll still know how to keep tabs on Martin.  Tom said they're all in good sprits and he's enjoying the ride, but described the last two days of riding as a little dull in terms of road terrain.  He'll be glad to be in mountainous Colorado today!

Topic Name: TD'11 Race Discussion Reply #770 on: June 19, 2011, 10:49:44 PM
29singlespeed

View Profile
« Reply #770 on: June 19, 2011, 10:49:44 PM »

Ethan is at Como.

Jefe and Kurt still on the move. WOW!

Paul is still cruising past a lot of the mid-pack that seems to be held up for the night.

Topic Name: TD'11 Race Discussion Reply #771 on: June 19, 2011, 11:01:06 PM
bbaker22

View Profile WWW
« Reply #771 on: June 19, 2011, 11:01:06 PM »

I must have just missed Kurt on the way to my cabin tonight (near Hartsel).  Lots of distant lightning/thunder rumbling around South Park.  I hope none of it materializes around the riders. 

I thought I might head to Horse Park tomorrow morn to see the riders, but D@MN, they'll probably pass while I catch some ZZZZzzzz's tonight.

Best of luck, racers!

thumbsup

Topic Name: TD'11 Race Discussion Reply #772 on: June 19, 2011, 11:10:01 PM
Marshal

View Profile WWW
« Reply #772 on: June 19, 2011, 11:10:01 PM »

Sort of funny to spend a normal day (go for a ride or take the dog for a hike, grill up some dinner, watch some TV etc) while you see how the Spots have moved, check the racers ‘local’ weather maps, hear the call ins etc etc

Anyway—Late Sunday night, some rain around/on the leaders?

Looks like Ethan gets to sleep dry in Como (unless his Spot moves soon)

Looks like Jefe has found a barn (just a guess from his last Spot)

Looks like Kurt is still moving at 11:53 pm local time.  He has just left Hartsel but is in sort of a no-mans land with regards to covered shelter.  Some ranches/homes, some old buildings here and there.  Very little in the way of tree cover till a bit down the road.  My guess is he soon grabs the 1st likely location for a bit of shelter  But then again maybe he will push on. 

Ha, and Looks like I get to go to my own nice dry warm bed bout now. till tomorrow……..

Topic Name: TD'11 Race Discussion Reply #773 on: June 20, 2011, 12:53:29 AM
Mrs.BigPoppa

View Profile
« Reply #773 on: June 20, 2011, 12:53:29 AM »

I turned off my spot because I thought I was here!

My home made profile sheet was off just a tad....

Other than that, theyhave really helped out in this race! I have tons of tactical advantage...

You're doing great!  We missed you today at the birthday party, but you were quite the topic of conversation.  Everyone is impressed with what you're doing and surprised at how well you are doing.  Not that we didn't think you would do well, but you are doing REALLY well.  Keep it up and I'll see you soon!

Topic Name: TD'11 Race Discussion Reply #774 on: June 20, 2011, 05:44:42 AM
FernieTeam

View Profile
« Reply #774 on: June 20, 2011, 05:44:42 AM »

Oh yea, Kurt said no way would the north bounders make it thru the snow up north. Northbounders  dont get the detours??? he thought that would be a big deal

we are all wondering the same thing...and the weather is not improving up north , for the moment...
I guess Paul will give a serious update on that ,  pretty soon !!

Topic Name: TD'11 Race Discussion Reply #775 on: June 20, 2011, 05:46:25 AM
woody

View Profile
« Reply #775 on: June 20, 2011, 05:46:25 AM »

Watching the local Denver weather and they are saying lots of snow in the high country. Here's a link for cdot cameras, which are located on the highways, but can still check. The camera in Jefferson (285) is about 5 miles from the Como Depot so I would say Boreas pass got some snow last night and probably still snowing on top.
http://www.cotrip.org/device.htm

All the best to the racers,

Woody

Topic Name: TD'11 Race Discussion Reply #776 on: June 20, 2011, 05:48:18 AM
Blammo

View Profile
« Reply #776 on: June 20, 2011, 05:48:18 AM »

This is Steve's wife writing. [...] he biked from our house in Central Texas to West Texas (some 400+ miles). 

Interesting ...a couple of from San Antonio are talking about putting together a ride from hear to Terlinqua ...what was his destination?

Topic Name: TD'11 Race Discussion Reply #777 on: June 20, 2011, 05:54:18 AM
BigPoppa

View Profile WWW
« Reply #777 on: June 20, 2011, 05:54:18 AM »

You're doing great!  We missed you today at the birthday party, but you were quite the topic of conversation.  Everyone is impressed with what you're doing and surprised at how well you are doing.  Not that we didn't think you would do well, but you are doing REALLY well.  Keep it up and I'll see you soon!

Don't feel bad, I don't believe it either.

Topic Name: TD'11 Race Discussion Reply #778 on: June 20, 2011, 06:02:20 AM
Groundshine

View Profile
« Reply #778 on: June 20, 2011, 06:02:20 AM »

Watching the local Denver weather and they are saying lots of snow in the high country. Here's a link for cdot cameras, which are located on the highways, but can still check. The camera in Jefferson (285) is about 5 miles from the Como Depot so I would say Boreas pass got some snow last night and probably still snowing on top.
http://www.cotrip.org/device.htm

All the best to the racers,

Woody

Wow! is that snow on the edge of the road by the Dillon Reservoir?  and Frisco too?  Climax camera looks slippery!  Tough conditions to be out riding all day.  Throw some food on the fire and stay warm racers!  

Topic Name: TD'11 Race Discussion Reply #779 on: June 20, 2011, 06:09:54 AM
Roland Sturm

View Profile WWW
« Reply #779 on: June 20, 2011, 06:09:54 AM »

Well, I got up really early after all with best intentions to hit the road and make it close to Steamboat. But I was greeted outside by snowfall and a pretty winter wonderland scenery. Cars and trees covered in snow and it is getting thicker. So I just took a picture (maybe Kathy can post it later) and went back inside. Too dangerous to go road riding (which it'll take to get out of town) and not sure that I would make it through the day.

So I'm taking a recovery morning and hope for the temperatures to go up enough so snow turns into rain and the sleet is off the streets and then I'll take off. In the meantime, talking to the SOBO folks yesterday, I take advantage of having access to a computer and will upload the Sobo snow detours to my GPS. All of them said that snow is an extreme problem and recommend their route because the original one will remain impossible. And at least right now around here (I'm in the Quality Inn at Silverthorne at the moment), it is only getting worse!

Thanks to Scott for making a usable topofusion demo program available (I just installed it on the hotel computer).
« Last Edit: June 20, 2011, 06:17:50 AM by Roland Sturm » Logged
  Pages: 1 ... 37 38 [39] 40 41 ... 103
Reply New Topic New Poll
Jump to: