Pages: 1 ... 51 52 [53] 54 55 ... 103
Reply Reply New Topic New Poll
  Topic Name: TD'11 Race Discussion Reply #1040 on: June 22, 2011, 06:51:23 PM
Roland Sturm

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1040 on: June 22, 2011, 06:51:23 PM »

If it looks like I'm stuck again on the top of a pass, this time there is a good reason - my spot must have fallen out during the snow hike between Steamboat and Brush Mountain. In the vague hope that Ross behind me finds it,  I call it an early day (earliest since the start). No, no indoor sleeping, Brush Mountain Lodge is long full, but I stay here and camp in the backyard. I'm on Kirsten computer now and frustratingly can see where my spot lies.

Tough snow hike, now doubt, but much less miserable than expected. Actually a good experience, but 1/2 a mile would do, no need for 5 miles. And it gets really soggy in the afternoon, my bike sank in deep enough to stand by itself at times. But in the shade, my speed went up from 1.5 m/h to a speedy 2.5 as both I and the bike didn't sink in as deep. So early mornings when it is frosty is faster. 

Topic Name: TD'11 Race Discussion Reply #1041 on: June 22, 2011, 07:27:06 PM
KPut

View Profile
« Reply #1041 on: June 22, 2011, 07:27:06 PM »

Roland, best of luck in getting your spot back and solid ground for you going forward.  it has been fun watching you and the others.  Ride safe.

KPut

Topic Name: TD'11 Race Discussion Reply #1042 on: June 22, 2011, 08:03:02 PM
mtbcast

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1042 on: June 22, 2011, 08:03:02 PM »

Justin Simoni called in from Flag Ranch. This audio is a little harsh. And Caroline Soong called in from near Kremling with more stories of crashes and river crossing.

You can get the audio here, via RSS,  or on iTunes!

JP - MTBCast.com

Topic Name: TD'11 Race Discussion Reply #1043 on: June 22, 2011, 08:31:48 PM
Mrs.BigPoppa

View Profile
« Reply #1043 on: June 22, 2011, 08:31:48 PM »

No, here's the ironic thing.  Your wife will agree and then be awonder at all of the time you spend in front of the computer each evening in chat rooms scheming for your ride.  Happy that you're working toward your dream, she'll still think "Get out and DO something!", secretly looking foward to when you finally take off for the Grand Depart, imagining all of of the things she'll get accomplished while you're gone and all of the ME time she'll have.  Instead, she will spend the next 3+ weeks every evening (plus solid weekends) in chat rooms and following your ride.  THAT's what you need to prepare her for.  Smiley       
(I think the rest of my family would also have appreciated being warned about the TD Effect.)

This sounds frighteningly familiar.

Topic Name: TD'11 Race Discussion Reply #1044 on: June 22, 2011, 08:33:54 PM
MGNini

View Profile
« Reply #1044 on: June 22, 2011, 08:33:54 PM »

Hey everyone, this is the sister of Rob Giannini here. 

I've enjoyed reading everyone's posts and everyone in my family has also become addicted to tracking the blue dots!  I'm extremely proud, and not to mention impressed, with what Rob has accomplished.  He and his friend Parker are riding to raise money for Children's Healthcare of Atlanta and have put together their own website to document their stories and their journey.  Here is a link in case anyone is interested: http://www.divideforchildren.com/  Hope you enjoy reading!

Rob called from Del Norte this evening, seems to be in great spirits and looking forward to hitting NM!

Topic Name: TD'11 Race Discussion Reply #1045 on: June 22, 2011, 08:51:16 PM
Marshal

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1045 on: June 22, 2011, 08:51:16 PM »

Hey everyone, this is the sister of Rob Giannini here.  

I've enjoyed reading everyone's posts and everyone in my family has also become addicted to tracking the blue dots!  I'm extremely proud, and not to mention impressed, with what Rob has accomplished.  He and his friend Parker are riding to raise money for Children's Healthcare of Atlanta and have put together their own website to document their stories and their journey.  Here is a link in case anyone is interested: http://www.divideforchildren.com/  Hope you enjoy reading!

Rob called from Del Norte this evening, seems to be in great spirits and looking forward to hitting NM!

Thanks for the link.  Rob and Parker are doing GREAT and have been very very consistent in knocking off big miles from day 1!!  

Do you know if they plan to ride together all the way into AW or if they plan to duke it out “mano-a-mano” as they get close to the finish?  A sprint between the two from Beaverhead Work Center to AW would be way cool to watch!!

edit: thats about a 200 mile sprint bty thumbsup

Topic Name: TD'11 Race Discussion Reply #1046 on: June 22, 2011, 08:54:30 PM
Marshal

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1046 on: June 22, 2011, 08:54:30 PM »

Anyone been watching Aidan’s Spot yesterday and today?  Maybe he should break a frame more often

Go Aidan

Topic Name: TD'11 Race Discussion Reply #1047 on: June 22, 2011, 09:08:45 PM
KPut

View Profile
« Reply #1047 on: June 22, 2011, 09:08:45 PM »

I wanted to send a shoutout to the VA guys as I'm also in VA and spent most of my youth in Vienna, VA where JP Evans is from.

Viva Vienna

Topic Name: TD'11 Race Discussion Reply #1048 on: June 22, 2011, 09:11:44 PM
THE LONG RANGER

Hi-Ho, Single-Speed, AWAY!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1048 on: June 22, 2011, 09:11:44 PM »

Hello from Jackson Lodge!   Indeed made it over the pass between Cricket Elk Ranch (?) and the Flagg Lodge, 9-10 miles of easy trudging, no 'shoes required. Looking forward to the next 2 passes, albeit a lot higher and most likely, a whole lot longer.   Was tipped off that two adventurous cyclists made it over yesterday! Not sure if they were Tour Dividers, but one looked as if they were running Nanos. "Chapeau"! to whomever it was, first snowy pass where I actually was the one following the path of another. Perhaps I inspired someone to try some of the standard route?

Speaking of inspiration, I've been inspired by the entire collective network community of the Tour Divide, everyone from the super fans, to the super hot-shot mechanics, to the owners and workers of all the colorful and unique restaurant, lodges, holes-in-the-wall mercantiles and those who become amazed at the 30 second full-on description of the race and what makes it truly wonderful and special. It's wonderful to briefly pass through these people's lives as a stinking guy in nasty cycling bibs in a huge hurry and food falling out of my mouth.  

Anyways, I'm off the boards so I can focus on screaming to A.W. in my extremely slimmed-down self.  Thanks for all your support and enthusiasm, I can totally feel the energy bouncing off the magnetosphere towards me,  when I'm in the snow/rain, going up some junk-snow pass, wondering just how many miles *this* one is going to be and singing the entire Bob Dylan (well, nothing after the 80's) catalog to myself.

How does it feel, to be on your own, no direction home, like a complete unknown

Feels OK, Robert, feels, OK.

Wish me safe passage to Pinedale and beyond! Sorry the SPOT is off, still looking for batteries to replace the worn out ones.

Topic Name: TD'11 Race Discussion Reply #1049 on: June 22, 2011, 09:16:01 PM
ScottM
bikepacking.net admin

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1049 on: June 22, 2011, 09:16:01 PM »

I was able to give the EuroTrain a quick huzzah as they whizzed down the Ute Trail into Salida.  I kept climbing and descended super sweet singletrack on a perfect evening.

Sounds like Samiz was able to make it to Absolute Bikes before Shawn and the crew left, and even though it was passed closing time they hooked him up with new pedals.  Absolute rocks!

Author of TopoFusion GPS software.  Co-founder of trackleaders.com - SPOT event tracking.

Topic Name: TD'11 Race Discussion Reply #1050 on: June 22, 2011, 09:52:50 PM
Marshal

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1050 on: June 22, 2011, 09:52:50 PM »

This sounds frighteningly familiar.

Of course you realize don’t you that for some the addiction doesn’t stop just because your spouse isn’t racing in a particular race. 

My wife got the bug watching my Spot, of course she soon was watching the Spots’ of other racers.

Now she and I both watch and compare notes when ever a race is on/tracked with racers she has come to know through Spot tracking and bikepacking.net forums.

a fan is a fan is a fan i guess

Topic Name: TD'11 Race Discussion Reply #1051 on: June 22, 2011, 10:02:48 PM
Mathewsen

View Profile
« Reply #1051 on: June 22, 2011, 10:02:48 PM »

Of course you realize don’t you that for some the addiction doesn’t stop just because your spouse isn’t racing in a particular race...Now she and I both watch and compare notes when ever a race is on/tracked with racers she has come to know through Spot tracking and bikepacking.net forums....a fan is a fan is a fan i guess
Do I smell a fantasy league brewing?

Topic Name: TD'11 Race Discussion Reply #1052 on: June 22, 2011, 10:15:22 PM
Marshal

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1052 on: June 22, 2011, 10:15:22 PM »

I think Aidan and Justin are camped up right on Marshall Pass.  This is also right where the Colorado Trail crosses the pass.  If so, I wonder if that local notorious fox thief will pull a late night raid and chew up a bit of their gear as it has so many CTR racers in years past?

Topic Name: TD'11 Race Discussion Reply #1053 on: June 22, 2011, 10:45:27 PM
mtbcast

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1053 on: June 22, 2011, 10:45:27 PM »

Dave Goldberg called in from between Hartsel and Salida. Ross Delaplane called in from Steamboat Lake. He spent the day in Steamboat getting his frame welded and seat tube fixed. Steamboat's a good place to be with a problem like that.

You can get the audio here, via RSS,  or on iTunes!

JP - MTBCast.com

Topic Name: TD'11 Race Discussion Reply #1054 on: June 22, 2011, 11:56:55 PM
29singlespeed

View Profile
« Reply #1054 on: June 22, 2011, 11:56:55 PM »

Anyone been watching Aidan’s Spot yesterday and today?  Maybe he should break a frame more often

Go Aidan

Yes and it's insane. Weld a bike rally back to dillon via self power sleep a bit and then throug salida in 24 hrs.,,

Topic Name: TD'11 Race Discussion Reply #1055 on: June 23, 2011, 12:21:52 AM
imbigwavedave

View Profile
« Reply #1055 on: June 23, 2011, 12:21:52 AM »

:thumbsup:I took a short ride with my incredibly cute dogs just south of Doyleville Colorado to cheer on JB.  Unfortunately for me I met KR out in the middle on no-where and decided to cheer him on too.  My dogs and I were making some noise and cheering for a couple of tough guys.  I thought Kurt would pass me by and keep heading for Del Norte.  I almost fell over when he stopped and chatted for 10 minutes or so.  What a nice guy!!!  He chatted and gave his butt a rest and only stopped talking only when he got cold.  Now I'm forced to remove the unfortunately from the above sentence.  Jefe was about an hour behind and had been stopped by Gunnison friends for a quick chat, so didn't stop because it was getting dark.  It was too cool to watch a headlamp from 2 miles away slowly creep towards me as thunderstorms moved in.  Kurt and Jefe, though tired, are two gentlemen that would be welcome at my home anytime.  Jefe already has a home here, so that is a mute point.  If only I lived closer to the route, I'd give both of them a bed to sleep in (all 4 hours of it).  

It's starting to get warmer here and wildfires are all over the place in AZ and NM.  Kurt's dad just posted that they are riding together now and I hope both are doing well.  The Single Speed underdog, and a great guy are still in my favorites, but all athletes on the trail are in my thoughts whether, NOBO or SOBO.  Go Jefe, and go Kurt.  Nice to see you both.  Keep spinning, keep riding, and always smile.   headbang thumbsup icon_biggrin Wink hello2 icon_salut wave occasion14 laughing5 :noteworthy:

I can't wait to see who finishes first, or second, or third.....  All tour divide participants are legends in my eyes.

BigWaveDave

Topic Name: TD'11 Race Discussion Reply #1056 on: June 23, 2011, 04:22:18 AM
rocky rode

View Profile
« Reply #1056 on: June 23, 2011, 04:22:18 AM »

There have been a few questions about SPOT and battery life... 

Amy, thanks!  I have read that using alkalines in a Spot 2 will damage the unit, which seems a bit odd.  It will also apparently void the warranty.  So, you're confident that it will not damage the unit?

Folks, Amy does more research on gear and destinations than anyone I know.  I have used her knowledge, and it's usually documented, several times.

Gary

Topic Name: TD'11 Race Discussion Reply #1057 on: June 23, 2011, 05:29:39 AM
Roland Sturm

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1057 on: June 23, 2011, 05:29:39 AM »

My Spot moved backwards over night, looks like Bob Anderson found it. The reception desk at Rabbit's Ear in fact has an odd looking orange device with Spot on it that they will mail to the Outdoorsman. So I'll be a stealth rider through Wyoming and Idaho, maybe that makes me faster (needed because double delays brought my average mileage down to just about 100).

Let me join the chorus who sings the praises of Kirsten at Brush Mountain. She had a full house yesterday, in fact, it was already full with riders hours before I arrived (fine with me as I rather sleep outside anyway, so just perfect: I camped yet got all the other lodge benefits). She cooked everybody a dinner, made pizza late in the evening,  and this morning went out of her way to accomodate even people requesting breakfast before 5 am!

Topic Name: TD'11 Race Discussion Reply #1058 on: June 23, 2011, 06:03:24 AM
sadlernow

View Profile
« Reply #1058 on: June 23, 2011, 06:03:24 AM »

Another rider just took off on his rookie SOBO ITT, Tony Cervati of ole North Cackalacky.  He's got a great life story including he's a type 1 diabetic. Glace north every now and then to watch is yellow dot.
more info about Tony here.

http://type1rider.blogspot.com/

Topic Name: TD'11 Race Discussion Reply #1059 on: June 23, 2011, 06:53:31 AM
DoctorRad

View Profile
« Reply #1059 on: June 23, 2011, 06:53:31 AM »

... spend the next 3+ weeks every evening (plus solid weekends) in chat rooms and following your ride.
Wait... you're telling me there are TD chat rooms? I need to know more...
  Pages: 1 ... 51 52 [53] 54 55 ... 103
Reply New Topic New Poll
Jump to: