Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]
Reply Reply New Topic New Poll
  Topic Name: Stagecoach 400 Discussion 2012 Reply #100 on: May 17, 2012, 01:58:07 AM
naked indian

View Profile WWW
« Reply #100 on: May 17, 2012, 01:58:07 AM »

Well, you certainly got your adventure!  Nice write up and kudos to you for lending the helping hand.  It's easy to freeze up with the rangers.  A simple "out for a ride" never seems to trick them eh?

Karlos has about the worst luck I've heard of in these things.  I'm curious what did him in, hopefully he will post up in case it's something that affects others, although I assume it's just overexertion.

Man I should check on the internet more often, quite the discussion going on here.  Let's see I will do a write up, at some point.  Been busy, I constantly have a plate full of bike related stuff to do.

But, Mbeardsl is 100 percent correct, I have NEVER done a bikepacking race without having some sort of misfortune.  NEVER.  I have overcome some, and others Have been OVERCOMED.  This time I was OVERCOMED.  I Probably would of kept going had Colen not came along and kind of gave me a pointer as to how serious my condition was getting.  I had one bottle and 17 miles to go and I was in survival mode riding from canyon shade to canyon shade.  Dont get me wrong it was a good thing, cause I was locking up, and I could pinch my skin and it would stay up where I pinched it.  When I look back at the whole trip it all seems like a dream...

The problems started from the beginning.  I should know by now that I am destined to ride alone and I should always leave wanting to ride alone, but I took off all billy bad ass thinking I could keep up with my compadres, dugg a huge hole trying to keep up.  Not only a physical hole, but a mental hole, feeling all bad that I was making them wait and such.  Dumb choice on my part.  Once I got to Borrego if I would of took a few extra hours to drink a alot of extra water I would of fared much better.  My plan once I left Borrego was to push through as much desert in the dark cause it was just perfect at night.  BUT, early in the day I started getting a weird chest pain, that later by 10 pm or so turned into a lung pain so bad, that I couldnt take deep breaths.  Out of concern, and cause of persistent bad cramps that had started when I crashed before the hobbit creekwash splash through the brush, I figured I would stop and see if I could sleep it off.  That next morning I did wake up feeling good.  BUT, because I had underestimated my dehydration, by the time I left my camp, I was already low on water.  I saw some riders ahead, hoping to get with someone to talk to and get some beta on whats ahead, I rode and rang my bell but they never slowed or responded.  By the time my good friend found me I was already way on my way to fall apart mode and then it really kicked in.  Anyways I saw the doctor after and the lung pain was something that starts with a C, LOL, I cant remember what she said, but it can happen from Over exertion and the dry weather, probably didnt help much, considering I live in a place that is very humid.  REGardless, Stagecoach is on my revenge list and I will be back, bigger, better, smarter and UNCUT.  I still had a blast and the next day I rode up Montezuma grade and had a blast in Warner Springs listening to the PCT hikers tell stories, still a great adventure and I made lots of new friends, and had the time of my life.  My only suggestion is that he starts the Next one at HIGH NOON, matches well with the whole stagecoach vibe and also forces people to ride the desert at night when its cooler and safer.   I'LL BE BACK!

ChEcK OuT ThE NaKeD InDIaN ChrOniClEs: http://singletracksamurai.blogspot.com

Topic Name: Stagecoach 400 Discussion 2012 Reply #101 on: June 01, 2012, 05:06:59 PM
Roland Sturm

View Profile WWW
« Reply #101 on: June 01, 2012, 05:06:59 PM »

Good luck  to all the SC400 finishers who were preparing for the TD and are starting next week: Eszter, Tracey, Katherine, Rich. (I hope I didn't forget anybody else).  The first 1 1/2 days were good preparation for what I thought is the hardest part (NM). And you'll all do great. Although you will still have more cars and more dogs to deal with (too much of both for my taste on TD, especially all the traffic on dirt roads).

« Last Edit: June 01, 2012, 05:25:03 PM by Roland Sturm » Logged

Topic Name: Stagecoach 400 Discussion 2012 Reply #102 on: June 01, 2012, 05:17:57 PM
groundedkiwi

View Profile
« Reply #102 on: June 01, 2012, 05:17:57 PM »

Roland,
Thank you SO MUCH!  Very kind of you to think of us.  Was an absolute pleasure meeting you in CA.
Keeping your fingers crossed for me (I'll need it!)
Katherine Smiley

Topic Name: Stagecoach 400 Discussion 2012 Reply #103 on: June 01, 2012, 05:29:18 PM
Roland Sturm

View Profile WWW
« Reply #103 on: June 01, 2012, 05:29:18 PM »

Judging from the way you motored up Fishcreek Wash the first night, the only luck you need is not having fire closures and you'll finish in just about 3 weeks.

Topic Name: Stagecoach 400 Discussion 2012 Reply #104 on: October 22, 2012, 05:38:26 PM
Roland Sturm

View Profile WWW
« Reply #104 on: October 22, 2012, 05:38:26 PM »

Took a while, but I finally posted my ride summary and pictures of this year's Stagecoach 400:

http://rolandsturm.blogspot.com/2012_05_01_archive.html
  Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]
Reply New Topic New Poll
Jump to: