Pages: [1]
Reply Reply New Topic New Poll
  Topic Name: SOL Escape Bivy on: June 01, 2016, 06:56:36 AM
eec

View Profile
« on: June 01, 2016, 06:56:36 AM »

so most of what I've found in these forums using the search function is that people who are using the SOL Bivy are using it in conjunction with a bag. I've got a North Face Soloist Bivy and am thinking of using the SOL Bivy in place of a bag. Anyone try using it in lieu of a bag in conjunction with a tent/tarp/bivy?

Topic Name: SOL Escape Bivy Reply #1 on: June 01, 2016, 07:22:49 AM
GrizzlyAdam

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2016, 07:22:49 AM »

I tried using it with another bivy (no bag) and I froze. It was really uncomfortable. YMMV.

I've also used the Escape with a bag, and other than being too narrow, it's worked quite well.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2016, 07:26:51 AM by GrizzlyAdam » Logged

Topic Name: SOL Escape Bivy Reply #2 on: June 01, 2016, 04:46:40 PM
dream4est

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2016, 04:46:40 PM »

I have used the lite version as a bag with another bivy, and as my only sleep kit. It takes a hard person either way. Not for those who desire long nights of good sleep. It is for fast touring or racing and will be cold for most normal folk.

Divide Bike Bags

Topic Name: SOL Escape Bivy Reply #3 on: June 05, 2016, 06:57:53 PM
bpeschka

View Profile
Re:
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2016, 06:57:53 PM »

I used  Sol for two TD's with a bivy bag.  I also wore my tights, long sleeve undershirt.  Added my down jacket when it got cold.  The velvro closure disintegrated quickly.  Often, I wore my windbreaker and used the SOL to wrap my feet.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Topic Name: SOL Escape Bivy Reply #4 on: June 12, 2016, 10:32:17 PM
Snowbd2u

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2016, 10:32:17 PM »

As I understand your statement... You want to lose your sleeping bag and just use the sol with a bivy and tarp? Unless it's summer I'd say you probably will get cold... In summer I just bring the SOL and down jacket. I use the SOL for bikepacking religiously.... So much so I need a new one haha. I upgraded to a jacks r better 40 degree quilt. I use the SOL with the quilt and a tarp which I think works stellar. I used the same setup except with a 20degree down bag for the 2014 divide, even with snow on the ground I got hot with that setup. I also use other bivys for camping, but found SOL the most versatile and easiest to sleep in the dirt with....as its relatively cheap (in cost).

http://vabikepacker.blogspot.com/

You only have one life to live, what are you going to do with it

Josh

Topic Name: SOL Escape Bivy Reply #5 on: June 13, 2016, 08:19:19 AM
eec

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2016, 08:19:19 AM »

Thanks Snowbd2u, yes I was wondering if I could ditch a sleeping bag, which seems bulky, and use the SOL instead, with my North Face bivy. But it sounds like that's not a very good plan, according to all the feedback.

Topic Name: SOL Escape Bivy Reply #6 on: June 19, 2016, 09:58:05 AM
pavementgraveldirt

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2016, 09:58:05 AM »

I would imagine that the problem with a double bivy set up is that there is no place to accumulate warm air.  No Insulation.  The very thin pocket between the two bivy sacks isn't going to be enough.

Topic Name: SOL Escape Bivy Reply #7 on: June 21, 2016, 06:54:18 AM
Lentamentalisk

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2016, 06:54:18 AM »

I'm curious how you use the SOL with a quilt. It is tight enough that I can't seem to fit my sleeping pad, my quilt, and myself inside of the SOL Escape bivy. I can't really imagine the quilt doing much good without it being strapped down to a pad.

Topic Name: SOL Escape Bivy Reply #8 on: June 21, 2016, 08:53:35 AM
jzskoorb

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2016, 08:53:35 AM »

I use an SOL Escape Bivy (8oz), with a Klymit Ozone pad (13oz), and a 30 degree down quilt (17oz) which keeps me pretty warm, well rested and the total weight is 2lbs 6oz.

Topic Name: SOL Escape Bivy Reply #9 on: July 05, 2016, 10:58:26 PM
Snowbd2u

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 05, 2016, 10:58:26 PM »

I'm curious how you use the SOL with a quilt. It is tight enough that I can't seem to fit my sleeping pad, my quilt, and myself inside of the SOL Escape bivy. I can't really imagine the quilt doing much good without it being strapped down to a pad.
I've updated to a Klymit 3/4 pad so it fits in nicely. Full length pad - I have to sleep on top. the sol goes over me and my bag just fine though. It is a tight squeeze if you try to fit the full length pad in there though. I'm 6'2" and 195

http://vabikepacker.blogspot.com/

You only have one life to live, what are you going to do with it

Josh

Topic Name: SOL Escape Bivy Reply #10 on: July 05, 2016, 11:16:08 PM
Adam Alphabet

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 05, 2016, 11:16:08 PM »

I took my modded (removed side zip, added bug netting and chest zip) SOL escape out this weekend for the first time. Terrible condensation both nights. The first night wasn't as bad as I slept with my head out and the chest zip open. The second night was raining so I tucked in. Breathing into the bivy was probably the main culprit. The 'escape' material does add a noticeable amount of warmth compared to my myog pertex/cuben bivy but for normal bikepacking (not racing) I think I'd take the breathability of the pertex and a tarp over the condensation and loft degrade of the Escape material.

For racing naps I think the 'lite' version will be sick in combination with a puffy and other worn layers.

@adamalphabet

Topic Name: SOL Escape Bivy Reply #11 on: July 06, 2016, 05:36:17 AM
Bob

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 06, 2016, 05:36:17 AM »

HI guys,

first post (I'll introduce myself in the "official" thread in a while)

I'd agree with Addy Marx in that the SOL is suited to racing rather than touring. I've the SOL Escape Bivy and when used with a thin base layer and a lightweight down vest it's fine for summer usage here in the UK. There's not enough room in it for me, a sleeping mat and a quilt/bag - well the quilt bag doesn't have room to loft properly. I'm 5'11" and 84Kg (185lbs).

My "race" setup is: SOL Escape; Klymit X-frame mat; PHD down vest; long sleeved thermal top; thermal shorts; anti midge (no-see-um) head net. That all comes to less than 1Kg and packs pretty small. With that I sleep well in the 10C (50F) temp range, wouldn't want to rely on it for a pleasant night if the mercury got towards freezing.

Bob

Topic Name: SOL Escape Bivy Reply #12 on: July 06, 2016, 06:35:41 AM
nathanfrechen

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 06, 2016, 06:35:41 AM »

I've started using my Escape bivy as a "quilt cover" to avoid drafts when I roll over in the middle of the night. I'm a relatively large guy (5'10", 210 lbs or so), and it's got enough space for me plus the quilt. Pad goes underneath. Easily adds 10-15 degrees to rated temp of the bag.

Topic Name: SOL Escape Bivy Reply #13 on: July 06, 2016, 06:58:29 AM
Bob Loblaw

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 06, 2016, 06:58:29 AM »

The coldest location on the CTR last year was sleeping at Spring Creek. There was frost on my gear in the morning, but I was comfortable in my SOL Escape, 30 deg quilt, and car sunshade (cut to fit my torso). It's knowing that I may see nights that cold again this year that are preventing me from ditching the sleeping bag altogether. I can't imagine that I would have been warm enough to sleep comfortably without my quilt. I didn't have the luxury of sleeping in the bathroom like Addy Marx did icon_biggrin

If anyone would like to attempt to sway me towards ditching the sleeping bag and just going with the SOL Escape and worn layers, I'm all ears. I'd love to drop another pound from my setup.

Topic Name: SOL Escape Bivy Reply #14 on: July 06, 2016, 07:24:30 PM
Adam Alphabet

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 06, 2016, 07:24:30 PM »

The coldest location on the CTR last year was sleeping at Spring Creek. There was frost on my gear in the morning, but I was comfortable in my SOL Escape, 30 deg quilt, and car sunshade (cut to fit my torso). It's knowing that I may see nights that cold again this year that are preventing me from ditching the sleeping bag altogether. I can't imagine that I would have been warm enough to sleep comfortably without my quilt. I didn't have the luxury of sleeping in the bathroom like Addy Marx did icon_biggrin

If anyone would like to attempt to sway me towards ditching the sleeping bag and just going with the SOL Escape and worn layers, I'm all ears. I'd love to drop another pound from my setup.

Do it Joe! That's what I'm going with for the CTR this year.. Worn and escape lite. It'll be cold but it'll be bold (or dumb) and fun no matter what way you go!

@adamalphabet

Topic Name: SOL Escape Bivy Reply #15 on: July 06, 2016, 08:17:46 PM
dream4est

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 06, 2016, 08:17:46 PM »

Do it. I have survived in the escape lite and worn setup for two triple crowns and I still say it takes a hard person but just play the course a little smarter and use the bathrooms or my main technique bivy halfway up the big hill and wake up quick throw the SOL in the bags and start hiking and riding to warm up. It is the bulk you lose that makes it so nice not the weight. The quilt and car sunshade are huge without them you will be faster as bulk needs an extra bag so you may lose that weight plus normally it means a much smaller load that rides better. I find it means one has extra space for more bulky food choices too.

Divide Bike Bags

Topic Name: SOL Escape Bivy Reply #16 on: July 08, 2016, 05:10:20 AM
Bob Loblaw

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 08, 2016, 05:10:20 AM »

Well you guys have me intrigued. I'll do a little overnighter soon to see what I think about it.

Topic Name: SOL Escape Bivy Reply #17 on: July 08, 2016, 05:10:26 PM
RonK

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 08, 2016, 05:10:26 PM »

Currently on offer at Massdrop, if anybody wants to buy one.

Cycle touring blog and tour journals: whispering wheels...

Topic Name: SOL Escape Bivy Reply #18 on: July 09, 2016, 08:22:50 PM
papatorry

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 09, 2016, 08:22:50 PM »

so most of what I've found in these forums using the search function is that people who are using the SOL Bivy are using it in conjunction with a bag. I've got a North Face Soloist Bivy and am thinking of using the SOL Bivy in place of a bag. Anyone try using it in lieu of a bag in conjunction with a tent/tarp/bivy?
Save your money for a real sleeping bag.
Wayne

Old. Slow. "Smarter than the average bear."

Wayne
  Pages: [1]
Reply New Topic New Poll
Jump to: