Pages: [1]
Reply Reply New Topic New Poll
  Topic Name: Singular Swift SS or 1x10? on: April 29, 2012, 11:03:37 AM
Mauro_N

View Profile
« on: April 29, 2012, 11:03:37 AM »

Hello, Im contemplating running a ridged Singular swift set up SS. My question is should I consider a 1x10 setup? Because my overall goal is to finish as quickly as possible, 20 days or less.

Thanks

Topic Name: Singular Swift SS or 1x10? Reply #1 on: April 29, 2012, 02:29:46 PM
febikes

Custom steel

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2012, 02:29:46 PM »

If you want to go gears I would do 2x10 because it's not much more weight and once you are running gears why not have a front shifter?  

Personally I am running single speed with 36x20.  My test rides have gone well and for something like TDR I think I might be slower on gears.  In my case running single speed helps me pace my efforts and keeps my legs feeling fresh.  With long days on single track my average speed on SS is about the same as gears.  The tour divide is mostly gravel roads and I have not done much of that type of riding because I am on the east coast so I can't be sure.  

I was on the fence about going SS vs. geared until I simply realized that I am just about always more happy.  When I am going above 13 mph I am spinning and feel like I am on top of the world.  I also find that standing more often often on the climbs works different muscles plus gives my butt a rest.  I don't mind pushing lower cadences for the climbs.

SS is also less prone to mechanical issues.

« Last Edit: April 30, 2012, 11:00:12 AM by febikes » Logged

http://febikes.com
Custom steel bicycles frames built in Raleigh, NC.

Topic Name: Singular Swift SS or 1x10? Reply #2 on: May 05, 2012, 06:52:30 PM
bartspedden

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2012, 06:52:30 PM »

I would try multiple setups if you have the gear. See what gets you must stoked and go with that. I run a 1x10 on my fs and love it. I also have a fully rigid SS and love it for commuting, but I often find myself wanting a couple easier gears when I'm not feeling like riding and just trying to get home. The 1x10 is geared with a 30T chainring and a 12x36 cassette. I can comfortably climb as slow as 3mph and start to spin out around 20mph. Since very little of my efforts on ultras is over 20 mph the 1x10 was a great fit.  

Ommmmmmmmmmmmmmm
~ Siddhartha

Topic Name: Singular Swift SS or 1x10? Reply #3 on: May 08, 2012, 01:45:04 PM
Mauro_N

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2012, 01:45:04 PM »

Hey guys, thanks for the feedback! I never given a thought to SS  having a built in pacing strategy, which is important for the TDR. Are mechanical failures common on the TDR? Specifically mechanicals in relation to cables and derailleurs?

Many thanks, Mauro
  Pages: [1]
Reply New Topic New Poll
Jump to: