Pages: [1]
Reply Reply New Topic New Poll
  Topic Name: Pinyons and Pines 2019 on: March 22, 2019, 11:00:14 AM
Dana Ernst

View Profile WWW
« on: March 22, 2019, 11:00:14 AM »

Come join us in Flagstaff, AZ on May 18, 2019!

Pinyons and Pines is an underground self-supported bikepacking race that starts and ends in Flagstaff, AZ (6,910 feet). The route is a magnificent tour of Northern Arizona, utilizing a mixture of singletrack, double track, and dirt roads. The start and finish are at Flagstaff Bicycle Revolution, located at 3 South Mikes Pike, sandwiched between Pizzicletta and Mother Road Brewery. The course is roughly 280 miles and consists of two distinct loops. The first loop is 125 miles and passes through Sedona (4,350 feet) prior to following the Arizona Trail back to Flagstaff. The second loop is 155 miles and circumnavigates several extinct volcanoes, including the San Francisco Peaks, home to Humphreys Peak (12,633 feet), the highest point in Arizona. The second loop overlaps substantially with the popular Craters and Cinder Cones Loop. The total elevation gain for the route is about 21,000 feet. Riders can choose between two categories: solo or duo (2-person team). Pinyons and Pines is an ideal first bikepacking race, but the stunning scenery should make it appealing to experts and beginners alike.

All participants will get a free event patch (designed by Shannon Villegas) and all finishers will get a coupon for a free pizza at Pizzicletta (located next to start/finish).

As of March 22, we have 25 people (one duo team) signed up.  More information at the event website:

http://danaernst.com/PinyonsPines/

* PinyonsPines.png (80.49 KB, 857x860 - viewed 548 times.)

Topic Name: Pinyons and Pines 2019 Reply #1 on: March 23, 2019, 08:05:10 PM
bmattingly

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2019, 08:05:10 PM »

Gonna be a good one!

Topic Name: Pinyons and Pines 2019 Reply #2 on: April 25, 2019, 09:19:14 PM
Dana Ernst

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2019, 09:19:14 PM »

Registration for Trackleaders is open for business! Utilizing a SPOT or Garmin InReach together with Trackleaders is optional, but highly encouraged. The registration for Trackleaders is separate from the Google Form event registration linked to from the event website.  If you need/want to rent a SPOT device, you'll have that option at the Trackleaders registration.  Spread the word!

I'll post the final version of the GPX track in the next few days (and email it to those that are registered).  We currently have 39 people signed up!

https://form.jotform.com/trackleaders/pinyonspines19

Topic Name: Pinyons and Pines 2019 Reply #3 on: May 19, 2019, 11:14:48 PM
schillingsworth

DFL>DNF>DNS

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2019, 11:14:48 PM »

I don't know if you've been following this one, but madman, Ben Hanus is about to snag the victory I believe. Chris Seistrup has about 16 miles to go and that very well may be the only two official finishers out of 50!!! A massive late season winter storm bore down on Flagstaff today, cold temps, high wind, death mud, sleet, snow, you name it, had riders calling it off all day long. Huge kudos to those gents for pulling off a tremendous effort in brutal conditions.

Hats off to Dana for putting together a wonderful event in spite of the high attrition rate. That was a super turnout for a first run event with riders coming in from a bunch of states. Looking forward to next year.

http://schillingsworth.blogspot.com/
I ride the crappy trails so you don't have to.

Ultra Endurance Profile Posters & More...:
Posters, T-Shirts, etc

Topic Name: Pinyons and Pines 2019 Reply #4 on: July 02, 2019, 10:19:27 AM
Yogi the Barry

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2019, 10:19:27 AM »

Having phun with words? Otherwise I'm confused - A pinon tree [pinyon?] is a pine...  Wink

Topic Name: Pinyons and Pines 2019 Reply #5 on: July 02, 2019, 05:46:59 PM
geekonabike

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2019, 05:46:59 PM »

Having phun with words? Otherwise I'm confused - A pinon tree [pinyon?] is a pine...  Wink

Pinon country is also referred to as P&J, not the sandwich but Pinon & Juniper (think rocky trails & uber sticky mud if wet), THe pine refers to Ponderosa Pine, a much taller, shadier tree which tends to come w/ flow type hardpack trails.

What don't Kill You, only makes You Smell Stronger

Topic Name: Pinyons and Pines 2019 Reply #6 on: July 03, 2019, 07:42:48 AM
Yogi the Barry

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2019, 07:42:48 AM »

I was just having fun with your atypical spelling of pinon... We call it PJ here in New Mexico. However, our typical PJ [pinon-juniper] terrain is below the elevation at which Ponderosas become healthy.
Pinon country is also referred to as P&J, not the sandwich but Pinon & Juniper (think rocky trails & uber sticky mud if wet), THe pine refers to Ponderosa Pine, a much taller, shadier tree which tends to come w/ flow type hardpack trails.
  Pages: [1]
Reply New Topic New Poll
Jump to: