Pages: [1]
Reply Reply New Topic New Poll
  Topic Name: paradox reroute on: November 09, 2011, 04:11:46 AM
DaveH

View Profile
« on: November 09, 2011, 04:11:46 AM »

Paul Koski has a new website up for the Paradox trail at http://www.paradoxtrail.org/, and COPMOBA has a page dedicated to the reroute:  http://www.copmoba.org/page.cfm?pageid=16773

The map has the reroute taking the trail within a stones toss of Nucla and should be ready (and signed!) next year.

This being the case, it's hard to imagine why anyone would choose the Bedrock route once the reroute is live.  Then again maybe I'm only talking to JimL!

As a side note, the talk of the private property issue was rather confusing.  The COPMOBA page makes it fairly clear that was a minor issue - the real reason for the reroute is to get the trail closer to a town so it gets some love.  IMHO it needs more than civilization proximity to become an MTBers destination Wink  Pinto mesa isn't any farther from Nucla than 18 road is from Fruita...in any cases pretty cool to see some work being done on the Paradox.  The Grand Loop is about to get some more singletrack!

Topic Name: paradox reroute Reply #1 on: November 09, 2011, 07:20:23 AM
Curtis C

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2011, 07:20:23 AM »

Thanks for the update!

Topic Name: paradox reroute Reply #2 on: November 09, 2011, 07:31:55 PM
JimL

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2011, 07:31:55 PM »

icon_biggrin  Excellent!

Red Canyon, Koski Traverse, new singletrack...  gettin' a little giddy there too Dave?

The GL needs a bit more traffic, for sure.  There's some beautiful country out there.  And the solitude is spot on.

I guess my only question is - if one decides to roll it, how passable would the reroute be from following a track eyeballed from the map if the new trail isn't complete at that time?

Well, 6 months or so to think about it...   Wink

Topic Name: paradox reroute Reply #3 on: November 10, 2011, 06:49:57 AM
prkoski

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2011, 06:49:57 AM »

It's hard to say when the new singletrack will be ready to construct. The whole project is back in the hands of the BLM due to a couple archeological site issues (they found too many spearpoints out there north of Nucla) Right now we're waiting on the BLM staff to get out there and re-route the re- reroute in three spots. Most of the proposed reroute is on existing two track and can be ridden. For those of you who have experienced West End two track you can expect much of the same...plus a couple new hike-a-bikes.
By the way, this re-route was very necessary as we were caught between a rock and a hard place, one being a very anal land owner and the other a congressionally designated wilderness that is not. It's enough to make even the most patient man  BangHead

Topic Name: paradox reroute Reply #4 on: November 10, 2011, 07:18:01 AM
DaveH

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2011, 07:18:01 AM »

"... congressionally designated wilderness that is not"

Took me a minute to get that part.  Go uncle Sam. 

Thanks for keeping up the efforts, it is a special place to anyone that's experienced it.

Topic Name: paradox reroute Reply #5 on: November 10, 2011, 07:27:57 AM
JimL

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2011, 07:27:57 AM »

Thanks for the additional information Paul, hopefully they get things straightened out in a timely manner.

In addition, I was finally able to track down this little blip I had read and forgotten about...

As of 2011 the Forest Service plans to re-route the Pool Creek section (139). It’s part of the Parallel Trail, and plans to extend the Parallel Trail from East Bull Rd over to Columbine Pass are in the works.

Cite: http://www.copmoba.org/page.cfm?pageid=15479&rideid=80

Dunno how that will come into play, if at all.

Topic Name: paradox reroute Reply #6 on: January 04, 2012, 09:29:36 PM
Stefan_G

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2012, 09:29:36 PM »

Can't wait to eventually check out the reroute!  Long live the unspoilt, re-supply-free Grand Loop!!!  One of the best adventures I've ever had.   headbang

“The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not.”
  -- frequently (mis)attributed to Thomas Jefferson

Topic Name: paradox reroute Reply #7 on: January 13, 2012, 11:34:16 PM
ScottM
bikepacking.net admin

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2012, 11:34:16 PM »

Thanks for the updates, all.  Perhaps when the reroute comes online I can convince myself to pull the trigger on the GL again.  Guaranteed I'll at least think about it every year . . . damn thing!!

Author of TopoFusion GPS software.  Co-founder of trackleaders.com - SPOT event tracking.

Topic Name: paradox reroute Reply #8 on: January 24, 2013, 11:45:24 AM
simonns

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2013, 11:45:24 AM »

Hi, sorry to bump an old thread but I was wondering if anyone has heard if the Paradox re-route has been installed and ready to ride.  I'm planning on a Spring Paradox ride and trying to get my GPS track mapped out.  Thanks!

-Simon

Topic Name: paradox reroute Reply #9 on: January 24, 2013, 12:46:39 PM
ScottM
bikepacking.net admin

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2013, 12:46:39 PM »

If PaulK doesn't chime in with an update, I can drop him an email and see how things are going.  Would be curious myself.

Author of TopoFusion GPS software.  Co-founder of trackleaders.com - SPOT event tracking.

Topic Name: paradox reroute Reply #10 on: January 24, 2013, 02:38:32 PM
simonns

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2013, 02:38:32 PM »

If PaulK doesn't chime in with an update, I can drop him an email and see how things are going.  Would be curious myself.

Cool, thanks Scott.

Topic Name: paradox reroute Reply #11 on: January 24, 2013, 05:17:29 PM
prkoski

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2013, 05:17:29 PM »

The Paradox Trail reroute project is still lost in the bureaucratic quagmire of the BLM Uncompaghre Field Office. After providing the required cultural and biological studies last year, the State Historic Preservation Officer (SHPO) has decided to require addition studies on existing and inventoried routes that we have proposed using. At this time we are trying to find about $4,600 to fund these studies. SHPO may have some grants available which we are pursuing. The BLM also wants to make our singletrack proposal an ATV accessible track since the Paradox Trail is essentially a two track trail.
So to make a long story short. Officially, riders are advised to use the through Nucla route between Pinto Mesa and Tabeguache Creek. In reality, the original Paradox Trail  is still there and the signs are still in place. Riders need to decide for themselves which route is best for them.
For riders who find themselves in Nucla, I try to make myself available for trail information plus I appreciate hearing from all riders in our area. I have also begun to stock some bike parts, and tubes should they be needed. My email is :  pdkoski@gmail.com cell. 970 428-2276 

Topic Name: paradox reroute Reply #12 on: January 25, 2013, 02:23:11 PM
simonns

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 25, 2013, 02:23:11 PM »

The Paradox Trail reroute project is still lost in the bureaucratic quagmire of the BLM Uncompaghre Field Office. After providing the required cultural and biological studies last year, the State Historic Preservation Officer (SHPO) has decided to require addition studies on existing and inventoried routes that we have proposed using. At this time we are trying to find about $4,600 to fund these studies. SHPO may have some grants available which we are pursuing. The BLM also wants to make our singletrack proposal an ATV accessible track since the Paradox Trail is essentially a two track trail.
So to make a long story short. Officially, riders are advised to use the through Nucla route between Pinto Mesa and Tabeguache Creek. In reality, the original Paradox Trail  is still there and the signs are still in place. Riders need to decide for themselves which route is best for them.
For riders who find themselves in Nucla, I try to make myself available for trail information plus I appreciate hearing from all riders in our area. I have also begun to stock some bike parts, and tubes should they be needed. My email is :  pdkoski@gmail.com cell. 970 428-2276 

Thanks for the update Paul!  I'll probably hit you up for trail conditions later down the road.

-Simon

Topic Name: paradox reroute Reply #13 on: January 28, 2013, 06:14:22 AM
DaveH

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 28, 2013, 06:14:22 AM »

That project requires some patience, wow.

I know 2 riders that did the Bedrock Grand Loop route last summer - that goes through the piece of land in question.  They may weigh in, but as far as I know it was unremarkable and unsigned.

Topic Name: paradox reroute Reply #14 on: January 12, 2014, 09:04:13 AM
prkoski

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: January 12, 2014, 09:04:13 AM »

Seems the Paradox Trail update is becoming a once a year post. For those following this thread,  SHPO did indeed fund the extra archaeological work and most of the field work was performed before the snow flew in November. Right now I'm waiting on payment from the State so we can pay the archaeologist and hopefully receive the reports for the upcoming EA, which will then go to public comment. I won't even speculate when trail construction can proceed. SO, as I mentioned before, the trail is there, enjoy and if you find yourself in Nucla stop by for a chat and a beer. I'm always ready to hear about your trail experiences.
 thumbsup 

Topic Name: paradox reroute Reply #15 on: January 22, 2014, 09:27:20 AM
simonns

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 22, 2014, 09:27:20 AM »

Thanks for the update. Still haven't got a chance to do this one, but it's defiantly on the short list.
  Pages: [1]
Reply New Topic New Poll
Jump to: