Pages: 1 [2]
Reply Reply New Topic New Poll
  Topic Name: Nutrition during training. Reply #20 on: February 22, 2013, 12:53:06 AM
jp3d

Jesse Palmer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: February 22, 2013, 12:53:06 AM »

The only exception was this GIANT brownie I got in Silverton to get me home to Durango.  Every few bites sent me scurrying off the trail, until I just quit eating it.

Ha!!! I had the exact same experience! I'd been eating mostly bars and HEED/Perpetuem and I was craving some "real food" pretty bad.

I really like using Perpetuem for long rides/races though because it is just such a hassle to me to have to deal with managing, unwrapping, and chewing/choking down solid foods between breaths while riding. It's nice to be able to mix up a 6-hour dose of Perpetuem to sip on and not have to deal with cramming stuff in your mouth for a while. A nice strong bottle of Caffé Latte Perpetuem is a perfect way to get moving in the morning Smiley

I definitely like some snacks/treats while I'm riding like chocolate/candy/fruit/granola, but I prefer to keep them as extra treats to snack on at my leisure while knowing I'm getting an nice steady supply of nutrition from my drink mix.

party till you björk

Topic Name: Nutrition during training. Reply #21 on: February 22, 2013, 08:09:48 AM
joeydurango

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: February 22, 2013, 08:09:48 AM »

not have to deal with cramming stuff in your mouth for a while.

That's funny, that's my favorite part!  I love eating solid food on the trail.  Unlike some, though, I'll just stop, sit down, and eat a sandwich in the middle of a hundred-mile race or something... no riding/eating simultaneously for me.

BEDROCK BAGS - Hand crafted, rock solid, made in the USA.  Established 2012.
www.bedrockbags.com

Ever since I began riding singlespeed my life has been on a path of self-destruction.

Topic Name: Nutrition during training. Reply #22 on: February 22, 2013, 11:51:50 AM
jp3d

Jesse Palmer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: February 22, 2013, 11:51:50 AM »

That's funny, that's my favorite part!  I love eating solid food on the trail.  Unlike some, though, I'll just stop, sit down, and eat a sandwich in the middle of a hundred-mile race or something... no riding/eating simultaneously for me.

Well I certainly enjoy snack breaks as well, but there is also a sense of personal satisfaction to be had from the feeling of having "covered all that ground without stopping." If it's anything more than a quick snack, a break can quickly turn into quite a lot of time at 0mph (and not even sleeping!). I guess this mentality comes to me from 24 hour racing, where a five minute break every lap to eat might not seem like much, but that adds up to one to two hours of not moving (one or two fewer laps completed) by the end of the race! I notice the same thing when I'm just out for a leisurely bike ride: it's quite easy to spend nearly as much time standing around as riding without even realizing until you look at the "moving time"/"stopped time" numbers on your GPS. Not that there is anything wrong with that, but in endurance racing (whether for the win, or just a personal record) minimizing downtime seems to be the most important go-faster strategy. How did that old story about the tortoise and the hare go again? Wink

party till you björk

Topic Name: Nutrition during training. Reply #23 on: February 22, 2013, 04:32:13 PM
Done

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 22, 2013, 04:32:13 PM »

In an effort to determine whether it's faster to stop for a quick bite, or keep riding, I actually made a computer model a year or so ago. It included such variables as how much more slowly I needed to ride to eat on the move, whether a brief stop helped with recovery (and therefore resulted in quicker riding after the stop), the type of terrain (focus), grade (whether I could coast), heart rate (breathing rate), etc.

After messing with it for a bit, I decided that riding while eating was probably somewhat faster--as long as I can eat things quickly that don't interfere much with my breathing or focus. Like Jesse mentioned, that means mostly liquid calories, such as Perpetuem.

Of course, the irony of a slow guy like me doing all of this "research" is amusing. But, hey, I'd be even slower if I didn't try to be fast!

"Done"

Topic Name: Nutrition during training. Reply #24 on: February 22, 2013, 04:39:29 PM
hjknox

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 22, 2013, 04:39:29 PM »

But, hey, I'd be even slower if I didn't try to be fast!

My favorite line ever!

Topic Name: Nutrition during training. Reply #25 on: March 01, 2013, 10:12:55 AM
Stevland

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 01, 2013, 10:12:55 AM »

Maybe it was a pot brownie.  "Legal" as it is in our 2 respective states now.

This year's CTR is going to be interesting.
  Pages: 1 [2]
Reply New Topic New Poll
Jump to: