Pages: [1]
Reply Reply New Topic New Poll
  Topic Name: Leg Cramps on: April 09, 2014, 06:26:12 PM
Super Grover

View Profile
« on: April 09, 2014, 06:26:12 PM »

I hate to sound like a whiner but I am old and feeble and I can get leg cramps that after about 30 miles  leave me curled up like a pretzel in the gutter!!  I eat bananas and drink electrolytes until I am having to stop in the bushes every half mile.  (But that comes with age and is another problem)  Does anybody out there have a cure or better yet, a preventive solution?  I am open to any and all suggestions and thank you all in advance!! crybaby2

Larry

« Last Edit: April 09, 2014, 08:39:23 PM by Super Grover » Logged

Topic Name: Leg Cramps Reply #1 on: April 09, 2014, 08:25:27 PM
Area54

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2014, 08:25:27 PM »

No hocus pocus. Train more, drink enough, sleep well. Breathe easily.

Amazing where riding a bike will take you...

Topic Name: Leg Cramps Reply #2 on: April 09, 2014, 08:37:26 PM
Super Grover

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2014, 08:37:26 PM »

Thanks Area 54.  I do agree I need to train more as in ride, ride, ride.    And would you believe that as I was reading your reply I got a pop up add on ending leg cramps leg cramps forever!!  Larry

Topic Name: Leg Cramps Reply #3 on: April 10, 2014, 12:01:38 PM
NatHC

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2014, 12:01:38 PM »

If you don't already, I highly recommend foam rolling for a few minutes before your workouts.

http://www.outsideonline.com/fitness/bodywork/fitness-coach/Should-I-Foam-Roll-Before-or-After-a-Workout.html

http://www.bicycling.com/training-nutrition/injury-prevention/roll-out-kinks

The quad, calf, and IT band moves are my favorites. Foam rollers are cheap, and when I find 5-10 minutes to roll each day I start to notice real improvements in 4-5 days. I'll start with a 5 minute warm up (jump rope, running in place, whatever), roll for 5 minutes, stretch for 5 minutes, then hop on the bike to warm up 5 more minutes and then start my workout. Stretch again afterwards, of course. I often roll again before bed because I find it relaxing.

Good luck!

Topic Name: Leg Cramps Reply #4 on: April 10, 2014, 12:06:19 PM
EricB

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2014, 12:06:19 PM »

A professional bike fitting could help too. I tried everything to fix mine, turned out my seat position was the cause. No issues now.

Topic Name: Leg Cramps Reply #5 on: April 10, 2014, 07:44:45 PM
Super Grover

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2014, 07:44:45 PM »

Thanks NatHC and EricB.  I will check these all out.  Tell me Eric, was your seat to high or to low?  I am running my seat in what I would consider a slightly lower setting so I am not "ankeling: so much.  I am what my son calls a masher, not a spinner.  He wants me to raise my seat so I get a little "bounce" at the bottom of the stroke.  I have also moved my cleats all the way back so that the pressure is in my arch and not out toward the balls of my feet.  Thanks again guys!!
Larry

Topic Name: Leg Cramps Reply #6 on: April 10, 2014, 10:52:56 PM
EricB

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2014, 10:52:56 PM »

My seat was too low and way too far back. It was the too far back that seemed to be main issue. His measurement was to have me clip in, pedal naturally and stop my right crank arm at the 2 o'clock position. At that point the knee joint should be a perfect right angle. He also moved my cleats back to just behind the ball of the foot. Went on a 17 hr ride and didn't cramp so I'm happy with it all.

Topic Name: Leg Cramps Reply #7 on: April 11, 2014, 01:41:37 AM
Area54

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2014, 01:41:37 AM »

Self massage and foam rollers are awesome, great way to relax before bed too.

Amazing where riding a bike will take you...

Topic Name: Leg Cramps Reply #8 on: April 11, 2014, 07:44:53 AM
mtbcast

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2014, 07:44:53 AM »

You try might SportLegs. I've used them for controlling lactic acid with moderate results. I've known guys who used to use it regularly.

JP - MTBCast.com

Topic Name: Leg Cramps Reply #9 on: April 11, 2014, 01:28:00 PM
cccniuk

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2014, 01:28:00 PM »

Forums can be faceless and i dont want to come across as calous but i like to keep things short and simple. So here goes

When your only at the 30mile mark thus 2-3 hours in the saddle electrolytes are not really that much use for preventing cramps due to electrolyte imbalances. Unless your training in extreme heat. Your cramps are much more likely to be caused by how you are cycling. Ie over your lactate threshold. For a prolonged period of time. I recon you need a heart rate monitor and google 'Lactate threshold'. 'Heart rate zones'. As a simple rule when building your base miles, lactate threshold is reached when you are breathless when you talk. A few times past the threshold on a hilly route and cramps will occur if your not conditioned.

Also if your on medication or have any medical complications see your pharmacist or doctor to see if these could be contributing to fatigue and cramps.

Cheers.

Chris. 

Topic Name: Leg Cramps Reply #10 on: April 11, 2014, 08:34:11 PM
Super Grover

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 11, 2014, 08:34:11 PM »

Eric, thanks for sharing how you used seat position an crank and cleat positioning to correct you cramping issues.  I do believe I have overcorrected.  Probably due to my philosophy that if a little more is better then to much is just enough. 

JP,  I will check out the Sportleg.

Chris, I don't think you are callous, I appreciate your straight talk!!  Your comment that you think it is most likely my style of riding along with bike fit is starting to resonate.  I'm embarrassed that I have not been wearing my HRM so no idea when I am digging myself into a hole.  I do admit that my style and form really sucks so will work on this.  No medications or medical issues.  Does gasping and wheezing and not being able to talk at all count as breathing? icon_biggrin 

Seriously guys, I really appreciate ALL of your feedback and based on the number of views my question has received I believe that there are others who are benefiting from your sharing.

Thanks again,
Larry

Topic Name: Leg Cramps Reply #11 on: April 14, 2014, 05:09:12 PM
LyndaW

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: April 14, 2014, 05:09:12 PM »

Larry,

Like others have said, the most common cause of cramping in skeletal muscles while riding, is going harder than you have before.

Here is a rundown on preventing cramping while on the bike  http://lwcoaching.com/how-do-i-prevent-cramping-during-races/

Lynda

http://lwcoaching.com/ Mountain bike coaching and training plans.

Topic Name: Leg Cramps Reply #12 on: April 14, 2014, 05:53:55 PM
Super Grover

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 14, 2014, 05:53:55 PM »

Lynda,

Thank you so much for your response.  Like the others have pointed out and you picked up on was being under trained.  Chris pointed out that if you are riding hills and you are riding in the  anaerobic zone and the lactic acid buildup doesn't have time to be broken down between hills you start cramping.  I live at 1000 feet and it is all down hill no matter where I ride and then it is all hills no matter which way I go and then all up hill to get home.  By then I am toast!!!  Broke out my HRM and kept it in the zone and it made all the difference in the world.  Maybe there is hope for me after all.  It was interesting to learn in your link that cramping can increase with age.  That will be my excuse from now on and I'm sticking with it!!

Thanks for taking the time to respond. thumbsup

Larry

Topic Name: Leg Cramps Reply #13 on: April 14, 2014, 06:30:51 PM
FOG

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 14, 2014, 06:30:51 PM »

I am an older and slower rider who has previously suffered from leg cramps.
I now use Hammer Nutrition Endurolytes  http://www.hammernutrition.com/products/endurolytes.elt.html?navcat=fuels-energy-drinks and they have basically ended my leg cramping.
However you have some good advice above too.

Good luck,
Wayne

Topic Name: Leg Cramps Reply #14 on: April 14, 2014, 07:10:16 PM
Super Grover

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 14, 2014, 07:10:16 PM »

Thanks Wayne!!  I will check it out!!

Topic Name: Leg Cramps Reply #15 on: April 20, 2014, 10:36:43 PM
JefA

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 20, 2014, 10:36:43 PM »

That would happen to me all the time. I take one or two saltstick capsules every water bottle. You can't take to much and they are balanced. I was getting migraine for years and they work for that because they have magnesium. They are really great and easy to carry.
http://m.rei.com/product/823163/saltstick-electrolyte-salt-capsules-100-capsules

Topic Name: Leg Cramps Reply #16 on: April 20, 2014, 11:01:23 PM
Super Grover

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 20, 2014, 11:01:23 PM »

JefA,
  Thanks for the heads up on this product.  Glad these work for you and will check them out.  I had a feeling I'm not the only one with this problem.  Have also been riding more and even got a trainer so I can sit and spin in the garage when the weather is crappy. 
Thanks again,
Larry
  Pages: [1]
Reply New Topic New Poll
Jump to: