Pages: 1 [2]
Reply Reply New Topic New Poll
  Topic Name: Kaibab Monstercross! Reply #20 on: June 09, 2009, 06:09:30 AM
DaveC

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: June 09, 2009, 06:09:30 AM »

DK, that temp range sounds right.  Sun exposure and slow climbs in the early afternoon make things feel quite a bit hotter.  The best reason to ride the 200 is to avoid the hideous gravel climb up from the Rainbow Rim.

I'm rounding into shape nicely by eating lots of touristing here in NY.  See ya'll Friday.

Topic Name: Kaibab Monstercross! Reply #21 on: June 11, 2009, 11:25:23 AM
Chad B

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 11, 2009, 11:25:23 AM »

Weather is looking great here in Flagstaff. I am headed up in a few hours to make base camp.

See you out on the trail!

Topic Name: Kaibab Monstercross! Reply #22 on: June 15, 2009, 10:09:53 AM
FeloniousDunk

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 15, 2009, 10:09:53 AM »

Any reports from the Kaibab?

Topic Name: Kaibab Monstercross! Reply #23 on: June 15, 2009, 10:19:36 AM
DaveH

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 15, 2009, 10:19:36 AM »

The 200 is an absolutely outstanding 200 mile route.  DaveC's vision to push the boundaries what can be done in a day were a bit ambitious to say the least....he'd already achieved that goal with the 130 course.

The 200 would make for a nice 3-4 day bikepack trip!  FYI.

We did get'r done, and now there has been a female finish on the route.

MC saw to it that nobody left the start glycogen or fat depleted.

One of Lynda's favorite sections was the intense flower show going off in the warm fire burn area of Burma (east side game road) road.

This spot took my breath away.  Maybe that was cause by this point there wasn't much of it left...

Sometimes ya gotta do what ya gotta do.

Fantastic route, thanks for putting it together Dave.  Come ready for a 2 day next year!

Topic Name: Kaibab Monstercross! Reply #24 on: June 15, 2009, 11:10:22 AM
ScottM
bikepacking.net admin

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: June 15, 2009, 11:10:22 AM »

Nice work there 2-epic.  Totally amazingly jealous.

~24 hours moving time, eh?  Yikes, that's a bundle.  Surprised there is that much climbing, too.  It all adds up...

Author of TopoFusion GPS software.  Co-founder of trackleaders.com - SPOT event tracking.

Topic Name: Kaibab Monstercross! Reply #25 on: June 16, 2009, 07:42:28 AM
donkey

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 16, 2009, 07:42:28 AM »

Did anyone else finish besides you two???

B

Topic Name: Kaibab Monstercross! Reply #26 on: June 16, 2009, 10:50:37 AM
DaveH

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 16, 2009, 10:50:37 AM »

Did anyone else finish besides you two???

B

Beats me.  By the time we got back to camp everyone was gone.

Dave Kirk started the 200 and I think he finished but don't really know.  We saw Andy on the AZT looking strong and in the lead of the 130.  We saw another gent too and dang I don't recall his name...DaveC will fill us all in on the details sooner or later.

Small group this year.  We missed your presence!

Topic Name: Kaibab Monstercross! Reply #27 on: June 16, 2009, 10:53:09 AM
ScottM
bikepacking.net admin

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: June 16, 2009, 10:53:09 AM »

According to Chad, Dave Kirk finished in ~41 hours or so.  Andy won the 130.  I thought he said someone else finished the 200 (Marshal?) as well, but I could be wrong.

Chad or Dave will have to chime in.  I seem to always miss out on KMC.  Next year!

Author of TopoFusion GPS software.  Co-founder of trackleaders.com - SPOT event tracking.

Topic Name: Kaibab Monstercross! Reply #28 on: June 16, 2009, 11:01:26 AM
DaveH

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 16, 2009, 11:01:26 AM »

41 hours for Dave Kirk!  That's quick.  Andy said he ran into him on the Rainbow Rim, saying Dave didn't even stop just kept it rolling nonstop.  That's sick!  Dave fill us in, we want details!

Topic Name: Kaibab Monstercross! Reply #29 on: June 16, 2009, 11:12:13 AM
ScottM
bikepacking.net admin

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: June 16, 2009, 11:12:13 AM »

Yep, he rode the 41 hours non-stop according to Chad.  He rested an hour or so at camp and then hopped back in the car to drive to Washington!

I believe Steve W. did a similar thing -- finishing (the 130?) and then driving north an hour later...

Topic Name: Kaibab Monstercross! Reply #30 on: June 16, 2009, 01:34:57 PM
dkirk

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: June 16, 2009, 01:34:57 PM »

Hey everyone,
I did "finish", but there was a lot of walking involved. After looking at the track, I also missed part of the route. Coming down 272, I missed 272a. They both come out at about the same spot at the bottom.
Then there is the water question. I started out with about 150 oz. Didn't see anything all day. So, at the start of the second stretch of the AZT are 2 gallon jugs. One full, the other one 2/3 empty. I have 24oz left and no idea where I'll be able to get more water. I chose to take 32oz at that point from one of the jugs. I didn't cache these, and there was no writing on them. Still......
Upper Tater was sweet! I hit it at late twilight. You know when you can just make out things in front of you without lights. Just to the left of the trail, are what look to be huge boulders arranged in a circle. As I got closer, I saw that those weren't boulders but buffalo settled in for the night. The bulls were huge! And fortunately did not find me threatening.
Missed the big views at east rim. Did not miss my chance for agua at Dog Lake. I felt like Sponge Bob filtering and drinking for a good hour.
The night was chilly but I realized I needed to keep going if I were to finish the next day. I took in some bonus miles to get a good view around Sublime Point. It was worth it. Shortly after that, I found some running water! Filtered again and figured this may be my last water for the day. It was.
The Rainbow Rim section was spectacular! It clouded up and when there was wind it was very comfortable. I still bonked though. It was all from not knowing where the next water was coming from. After the above mentioned alternate route I realized I would have enough water so I started drinking more and eating more. The east side game road was a blast. There was a tail wind with good road so you could fly.
The last climb up to Jacob Lake was a real struggle. Much walking was done. At the end my body was shutting down. I had only consumed about 70oz of water for the day. I was so glad to see the campfire and everyone still up. I must have sounded like a blathering idiot, as I was shaking from the cold.

After thoughts, thanks to Dave C for organizing the ride, It's awesome. The huge views and diversity of terrain.
Hollywood Chad, thanks for riding with me early.
What a great group of people to just hang out with.
And I did get a little more than a couple hours sleep but I made it back to Yakima by 9:00AM Monday.

Later,
Dave

Topic Name: Kaibab Monstercross! Reply #31 on: June 16, 2009, 03:06:22 PM
Marshal

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: June 16, 2009, 03:06:22 PM »

According to Chad, Dave Kirk finished in ~41 hours or so.  Andy won the 130.  I thought he said someone else finished the 200 (Marshal?) as well, but I could be wrong.

Chad or Dave will have to chime in.  I seem to always miss out on KMC.  Next year!

No Kaibab MC for me, I am in working in TX just now, maybe next yr

Marshal

Topic Name: Kaibab Monstercross! Reply #32 on: June 17, 2009, 05:36:11 PM
DaveC

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: June 17, 2009, 05:36:11 PM »

Results are posted.  75% combined finish rate for both rides!

DK, in my mind 272 v. 272a and 425 is a wash (maybe a few minutes faster).  You just missed the more scenic option (and easier climb).  I'm keeping your name on the list unless you insist otherwise.

Awe inspiring performances all around.  Every single finisher stretched themselves big out there.  As a race "planner", I could not ask for more. 

I just have to raise up my level for next year.  200 without sleeping.   BangHead
  Pages: 1 [2]
Reply New Topic New Poll
Jump to: