Pages: [1]
Reply Reply New Topic New Poll
  Topic Name: HT550 2020 on: November 27, 2019, 11:37:14 AM
Lizzyrides

View Profile
« on: November 27, 2019, 11:37:14 AM »

Hi all, first time poster, and also relatively new to bikepacking/racing. I am a veteran of various types of ultra/long one day races but only just getting into the wonderful world of bikepacking. Of course I instantly fell in love and am hooked. I live in Durango and have the CT in my backyard, but I know too much about how hard that trail is so I haven't yet attempted the CTR. Maybe 2021.

So surprise to me when I applied for and was offered a spot for the Highland Trail 550 this May 2020! I am both excited and terrified. I know it's easy to get bogged down in the details of gear/route logistics/etc. when really all I have to do is go ride my bike and have fun, but aren't we all on some level Type A'ers?

So I don't know how much of an international audience this forum gets, but thought it'd be worthwhile to reach out and see if there are any veterans of this race or anyone else planning on riding it this year? I would love to geek out on gear choice, bike choice, etc. and get any tips. Also since I live in SW Colorado I know practically nothing about taking care of myself in rainy environments...

Cheers/Slainte!
Liz

Topic Name: HT550 2020 Reply #1 on: November 28, 2019, 06:25:02 AM
davebarter

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2019, 06:25:02 AM »

Hi Liz

I know the route only too well.

https://phased.co.uk/the-highland-trail-550/

https://phased.co.uk/highland-trail-race-2015/

https://phased.co.uk/the-highland-trail-first-winter-attempt/

And may even see you on the start line next year;-)  Don't be put off by my scratches, I've been unlucky with weather, many others have had days of glorious sunshine.

Topic Name: HT550 2020 Reply #2 on: November 28, 2019, 10:14:50 AM
Ron Thomson

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2019, 10:14:50 AM »

That's awesome Liz!
I'm sure you will have an amazing experience regardless of the weather.
I've had a couple of goes at it and have finished both times although 2019 I picked up a disqualification for missing a short section of singletrack. I'm happy to answer any questions I can for you and will see you at the start next May!  icon_biggrin thumbsup

Topic Name: HT550 2020 Reply #3 on: November 29, 2019, 04:28:51 PM
Lizzyrides

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2019, 04:28:51 PM »

Great! I can't wait.

davebarter, your links unfortunately didn't work.

I think right now my big worry is judging weather and how to deal with rain, as I'm used to much drier climates. I'd like to run light, and wondering if I could get away with just a tarp and ground cover versus a tent? And here's a really stupid question, are there enough trees in Scotland to tie off a tarp? All the pictures I see it's wide open terrain. I know I can use my bike, but I'd have to take that into consideration on which tarp to buy.

Thanks!!

Topic Name: HT550 2020 Reply #4 on: December 01, 2019, 02:13:08 AM
davebarter

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2019, 02:13:08 AM »

They will now Liz, there were some issues with my hosting company.

In terms of the weather you need to expect everything. Many abandoned last year by going too light in what was horrendous rain and cold. Other years it has been a heatwave. Scotland cannot ever be relied on in terms of weather. But there are bothies/hostels/hotels that can be used with the right strategy and it would be worth looking those as part of your plan. In some places there are lots of trees, in others, nothing. A tarp, small pole along with a bivy bag would give you a ton of options.

Topic Name: HT550 2020 Reply #5 on: December 03, 2019, 02:04:56 AM
NewRetroTom

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2019, 02:04:56 AM »

Hi Liz,

I just took a bivvy bag when I did it, but with the plan of keeping going until I got to a bothy or some shelter if it was raining hard. This strategy does require some commitment though, as you need to judge before you go into one of the wild areas which may take 5+ hours to traverse what the weather is going to do and whether you have the energy to keep going until you're through.
Definitely do some research into what shelter there is on the way round. The bothies are free to use and provide a dry place out of the weather for sleeping. There are also some youth hostel type options.

See you on the start line next year!

Tom

Topic Name: HT550 2020 Reply #6 on: December 03, 2019, 06:59:30 AM
Lizzyrides

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2019, 06:59:30 AM »

Thanks Tom!

And thanks Dave, those were some interesting and entertaining reads. Sorry about your injuries. I can sympathize with the "arse" injury, that got me as well when I rode the Smoke n Fire in Idaho. I renamed the route the Dust n Washboard. Now instead of obsessing on types of shelters, I'm trying to figure out how to keep my bum dry.... icon_biggrin

The idea of having an emergency bivvy but planning on sleeping in the bothies is enticing. After reading Dave's posts, it sounds like a shelter where you can be totally enclosed is preferred due to the midges. I'd like to keep going as long as possible as well, and will look at the locations of the bothies.

Snow is falling in the Rockies, it's a great time to sit inside and plan this out.

Topic Name: HT550 2020 Reply #7 on: December 05, 2019, 04:06:11 AM
kiwidave

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2019, 04:06:11 AM »

Lizzy - I'm lining up too as a Rookie and am going with the bivvy and ride to shelter option. I'm taking an anti-midge head net to deal with them as my bivvy has no screen.

Any idea of tyres? I'm thinking Ikons or Mezcals.

Topic Name: HT550 2020 Reply #8 on: December 09, 2019, 10:41:21 AM
Ron Thomson

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2019, 10:41:21 AM »

I pretty much always carry a lightweight tarp but very seldom use it. The weather in the Highlands of Scotland can be fickle and the damp can make it feel colder than the temp says it is. A head net is an essential item if you need to stop for any reason and the midgies are out. Trying to fix a mechanical when you are being eaten alive by midgies is no fun.
Re-supply is an issue that needs some careful consideration due to opening times and certain days of business.
I just booked a flight and noticed that Delta / KLM do not charge for bikes now. Yay!

Topic Name: HT550 2020 Reply #9 on: December 09, 2019, 11:53:18 AM
Lizzyrides

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 09, 2019, 11:53:18 AM »

I'm sure every year is totally different and nearly impossible to judge the weather, but do you have a ballpark idea of temperature swings for day/night? Chances of it being at/below freezing at nights? 

I like the idea of a simple tarp with a bivvy, something totally enclosed to keep out the bugs and wet. I just ordered some Enlightened Equipment down pants which, paired with a warm jacket, maybe could substitute for a full sleeping bag, then just bring a small quilt. Once I get them I'll experiment to see how warm they are.

Tires, I always go overkill with something burly, I have a hardtail designed for racing, not bikepacking, and I am a bit of a bull in a china shop as far as bashing into things, so Ardent 2.4's are my favorite. So far (fingers crossed and knocking on wood) no punctures or sidewall tears!!

Topic Name: HT550 2020 Reply #10 on: December 10, 2019, 10:13:43 AM
Ron Thomson

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 10, 2019, 10:13:43 AM »

I think there is a good chance you will see some nights at freezing or thereabouts. I also use down jacket and down pants instead of a sleeping bag as they can be worn as a riding layer too if conditions dictate. I like things that have more than one use. Lot's of different surfaces so a burly tyre would be good.
By the Way hostel and campsite in Tyndrum for the night before.
http://tyndrumbytheway.com/

Topic Name: HT550 2020 Reply #11 on: December 14, 2019, 02:01:28 AM
tanadog

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: December 14, 2019, 02:01:28 AM »

Any idea of tyres? I'm thinking Ikons or Mezcals.

Although I think Mezcals are great I'd be thinking something with more traction. I toured it on Ikons and they were great.

Topic Name: HT550 2020 Reply #12 on: January 21, 2020, 04:22:36 PM
Lizzyrides

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 21, 2020, 04:22:36 PM »

Ok another question.

Is there a website that I buy topo maps of the route (and specifically which ones show the route the best), and/or does an old-fashioned cue sheet exist? Either parts or whole course. I like to have a reliable backup when technology (Garmin) gets wonky.

Cheers!
Liz

Topic Name: HT550 2020 Reply #13 on: January 27, 2020, 05:29:12 PM
Ron Thomson

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 27, 2020, 05:29:12 PM »

As far as following the route you are basically just following a line on your GPS so detail isn't that important unless you need to find a route if you are lost or looking for some POI. When I need to do that I pull out my phone that has GaiaGPS on it and use that or even google maps if I am looking for something specific in a town or such.

https://www.gpsfiledepot.com/ has a bunch of free maps that work with Garmin. Which unit are you using?

Topic Name: HT550 2020 Reply #14 on: January 30, 2020, 09:37:28 AM
dream4est

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 30, 2020, 09:37:28 AM »

Hi Lizzy we met at the bike shop in Moab recently. I hope u have a great race good luck !!
Mark

Divide Bike Bags

Topic Name: HT550 2020 Reply #15 on: April 25, 2020, 01:03:31 PM
dgjessee

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 25, 2020, 01:03:31 PM »

You don't need much detail on the maps. I did it the first year and only had a line on my mapless GPS to follow. When I did the Cairngorms Loop I had a Wahoo ELEMNT which also doesn't have much detail and did fine. But if you want there are free maps you can download for a Garmin. Open Cycle Maps would be my recommendation: https://www.dcrainmaker.com/2019/08/how-to-install-free-maps-on-your-garmin-edge.html

Cycling is not rocket science.
  Pages: [1]
Reply New Topic New Poll
Jump to: