Pages: [1]
Reply Reply New Topic New Poll
  Topic Name: How do you wear 2 pair of shorts? on: March 07, 2016, 08:14:38 PM
FOG

View Profile
« on: March 07, 2016, 08:14:38 PM »

I am training for a long bike tour and I am having saddle sores coming from?? 
I have read about wearing 2 pair of shorts and wondering if:

1. wear both shorts normally, with inner short being clean and the outer short being yesterdays short.  Both pair right side out, or

2. wearing the inner short inside out and the outer short right side out?  Somewhere I remember this was the way to do it; but it does not make sense to have the outside of the shorts against your skin.

3. Or how do you wear 2 pair of shorts?

Thanks,
Wayne

Topic Name: How do you wear 2 pair of shorts? Reply #1 on: March 08, 2016, 03:12:32 AM
cycleofaddiction

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2016, 03:12:32 AM »

If I wear 2 pairs I will just pull one pair over the other with the pad on the inside as normal!

Save a bike & ride the Planet

Topic Name: How do you wear 2 pair of shorts? Reply #2 on: March 08, 2016, 06:55:43 AM
Lentamentalisk

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2016, 06:55:43 AM »

Make sure to practice good sanitation. The only time I ever get sores is if I wait too long to get out of my shorts after a ride, and don't clean everything thoroughly enough. I recommend some sort of sanitary wipe package.

Topic Name: How do you wear 2 pair of shorts? Reply #3 on: June 14, 2016, 12:35:48 AM
alaskared

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2016, 12:35:48 AM »

Don't . Get a better saddle. Put in regular training mileage.

Topic Name: How do you wear 2 pair of shorts? Reply #4 on: June 14, 2016, 08:40:48 AM
vikb

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2016, 08:40:48 AM »

^^ this. The solution to butt problems is not more padding it's better hygiene and a better fitting saddle....it could even be an overall bike fitting issue.

Just adding more padding is like buying ear plugs because your car's transmission is making a hell of a racket! You are attacking the symptom not the underlying problem. Wink
« Last Edit: June 14, 2016, 08:46:25 AM by vikb » Logged

Topic Name: How do you wear 2 pair of shorts? Reply #5 on: June 14, 2016, 06:24:35 PM
FOG

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2016, 06:24:35 PM »

I agree, I was looking for a saddle but trying to continue riding until I got a new saddle.
I got a Selle anatomic X series saddle, and it is what us old guys need for dry skin.  The new saddle and Lantiseptic realy works.

Topic Name: How do you wear 2 pair of shorts? Reply #6 on: June 14, 2016, 10:18:52 PM
alaskared

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2016, 10:18:52 PM »

Good call, I have one of those too ! thumbsup
Although I had them punch holes in it at thigh junction and then I have it laced together underneath with zipties. Also dremmled down the lower edge of seat as the 90 degree angle was also rubbing a bit.....but yeah happy buns on those leather saddles!

Topic Name: How do you wear 2 pair of shorts? Reply #7 on: June 16, 2016, 10:20:35 AM
krefs

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2016, 10:20:35 AM »

I'd agree with the comments suggesting to try something other than double shorts. Having the proper saddle fit for your anatomy is critical, shorts without seams that chafe are critical, reducing weight in your backpack (if you're wearing one) can have a huge effect on reducing friction with your skin, and good butt hygiene are all critical. Tackle each one of those things one by one and see how each affects (or doesn't) the problem.

Topic Name: How do you wear 2 pair of shorts? Reply #8 on: June 16, 2016, 02:27:31 PM
aarond

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2016, 02:27:31 PM »

In addition to all of the above, stay as dry as you can under the shorts.  Just like your hands, if your butt stays wet for an extended period of time the skin becomes more tender and subject to friction abrasions.

Topic Name: How do you wear 2 pair of shorts? Reply #9 on: June 18, 2016, 08:11:32 PM
Erik_A

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2016, 08:11:32 PM »

Fizik Gobi XM Wingflex - my favorite (I have 4 on all my bikes).

* Fixik Gobi xm.jpg (60.65 KB, 1100x546 - viewed 1514 times.)

Topic Name: How do you wear 2 pair of shorts? Reply #10 on: June 23, 2016, 03:56:05 PM
Yogi the Barry

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 23, 2016, 03:56:05 PM »

Answer: Very carefully. Sorry, I couldn't help myself.
Seriously - What I've learned from punishing my arse...
1 - Shorts which are too big are much worse than too small. I'm often in the middle of S and M sizing for shorts and now tend to just buy Small. A tight trampoline over your skin is better than loose fabric which can wrinkle.
2 - A good saddle is important, but it's probably 50-50 with the shorts. I don't like saddles with cutaways and deep ridges/valleys. It seems you want to minimize the force per unit area, so why remove material from the saddle? You want the force to be evenly distributed across what little area the saddle provides. Smooth top works best for me, but saddle shape can be both personal and an adaptive thing. I wouldn't experiment with a new shape without first having put in many miles on it. Too much padding is bad. Too little is also bad. But the 'right' saddle can be surprisingly firm and thinly padded.
3 - Another yes to all the above posting on good hygiene, for those equatorial regions of the body. If you're doing a multi-day event and choose to sleep at night, get out of the shorts and dry them. Apply something like A & D ointment to the high friction/pressure areas of your arse proactively. This comment will probably be controversial, but my experience shows that something dirt-cheap, like A & D or Desitin, seems to work just as well as the big-buck stuff. The thicker, the better. A high concentration of lanolin is good. The trick it to put it on before you have a raw ass.
4 - But in case you do get an infection, carry some triple-biotic. However, using it all the time might result in you having some type of resistant infection if you do get an infection.
5 - Unfortunately, a lot of saddle/shorts issues can only be avoided by more TITS - time in the saddle.
-Barry
PS Edit - Another vote for Fizik, but I'm using Aliante Gamma XM. If only Fizik could come up with simpler names, right. I can't afford Fiziks retail, so I snatch up the white ones when they go on sale. BTW, I'm 6'2" and ~165#.

...Or how do you wear 2 pair of shorts?...
« Last Edit: June 24, 2016, 05:48:43 AM by Yogi the Barry » Logged
  Pages: [1]
Reply New Topic New Poll
Jump to: