Pages: [1]
Reply Reply New Topic New Poll
  Topic Name: Having trouble stealth camping & being confused with the homeless? on: October 11, 2019, 07:41:41 AM
taprider

View Profile
« on: October 11, 2019, 07:41:41 AM »

Anyone having more trouble stealth camping and being confused with the homeless?
Such as do you have to go even further before you can camp, try to blend in, or try to look clean and straight?
I have been revising my planned Shuswap Okanagan Bikepack Loop to avoid homeless camps.
Some remind me of the outside area of a dragon's den with scraps of knights' armour and bones scattered all over (with the carcasses of stolen bikes scattered across the trail)

Oh well, very privileged First World problem (we live like homeless or fleeing refugees for the fun of it)
« Last Edit: October 11, 2019, 10:17:52 AM by taprider » Logged

Topic Name: Having trouble stealth camping & being confused with the homeless? Reply #1 on: October 16, 2019, 08:28:06 PM
TonyM

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2019, 08:28:06 PM »

Anyone having more trouble stealth camping and being confused with the homeless?
Such as do you have to go even further before you can camp, try to blend in, or try to look clean and straight?
I have been revising my planned Shuswap Okanagan Bikepack Loop to avoid homeless camps.
Some remind me of the outside area of a dragon's den with scraps of knights' armour and bones scattered all over (with the carcasses of stolen bikes scattered across the trail)

Oh well, very privileged First World problem (we live like homeless or fleeing refugees for the fun of it)

I would indeed avoid the homeless camps...

Topic Name: Having trouble stealth camping & being confused with the homeless? Reply #2 on: October 17, 2019, 11:17:51 PM
taprider

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2019, 11:17:51 PM »

More looking to do something that is part of the solution
rather than my making facetious comments and/or avoiding the homeless.
But really something to do outside of bikepacking.

Just wondering if any bikepacker has been confused by others as being one of the homeless.

Topic Name: Having trouble stealth camping & being confused with the homeless? Reply #3 on: October 25, 2019, 05:13:21 PM
chrisx

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2019, 05:13:21 PM »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j73OsXo19vI

stealth

cautious and surreptitious action or movement.
"the silence and stealth of a hungry cat"

Stealth camp means no one knows where you are.

For your own safety avoid the homeless camps that surround all large cities.

I recall reading this guys journal.  He is a better story teller than I am.
"Free camping, its what all us adventure cyclist do. I´ve done it all over the world and never had a problem. Today my luck ran out."
https://www.crazyguyonabike.com/doc/page/?o=1mr&page_id=447413&v=F

« Last Edit: October 25, 2019, 11:26:01 PM by chrisx » Logged

Topic Name: Having trouble stealth camping & being confused with the homeless? Reply #4 on: October 26, 2019, 09:06:56 AM
Adam Alphabet

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2019, 09:06:56 AM »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j73OsXo19vI

stealth

cautious and surreptitious action or movement.
"the silence and stealth of a hungry cat"

Stealth camp means no one knows where you are.

For your own safety avoid the homeless camps that surround all large cities.

I recall reading this guys journal.  He is a better story teller than I am.
"Free camping, its what all us adventure cyclist do. I´ve done it all over the world and never had a problem. Today my luck ran out."
https://www.crazyguyonabike.com/doc/page/?o=1mr&page_id=447413&v=F

As someone who's been fortunate to have toured and stealth camped in many places around this world this is a somber reminder that no matter how great a time you're having, vigilance and discretion are always key and even then sometimes shit just happens. Glad the author made it out safe.

Great post, everyone on here should read it.

@adamalphabet

Topic Name: Having trouble stealth camping & being confused with the homeless? Reply #5 on: October 26, 2019, 11:44:26 AM
ec_duz_it

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2019, 11:44:26 AM »

I felt homeless my first night on the Stagecoach 400. There is a big stretch through urban and suburban San Diego where there is no legal location to camp. The location I picked was very close to legit homeless folks.
  Pages: [1]
Reply New Topic New Poll
Jump to: