Pages: [1]
Reply Reply New Topic New Poll
  Topic Name: Great Divide Race ought-nine. on: May 12, 2009, 08:41:31 AM
MikeC

View Profile WWW
« on: May 12, 2009, 08:41:31 AM »

The 2009 Great Divide Race starts from Port of Roosville, Montana, at high noon on June 19, 2009.  That's just a few weeks away.

The explosion in popularity of the GDR since its inception in 2004 quite frankly took us by surprise.  Since 2004 the rules have continuously evolved to accommodate an increasingly diversified field of racers, but accommodating *every* request was simply not possible.  In fact, bending over backwards to try to accommodate some of the requests was a mistake.  If you've considered racing the 2009 GDR you will have noticed that the date and start location have changed, twice, since the 2008 GDR concluded.  We know better now--we simply cannot please the whims of every vocal minority, and trying too hard can be worse than not trying at all.  Compromises needed to be made by race organization as well as racers, which meant hard choices and tough decisions for all involved.

Moving forward, the GDR will remain true to its roots as a border to border time trial.  There will be no required call-ins, little to no web updating, fewer rules in general.  Overall, we want to emphasize that we're keeping the race as close as we can to its original incarnation: An event where the seasoned ultra-distance racer can come to challenge themselves in the simplest, purest style possible.

We understand that late notice on the date and location changes may be unworkable for those that had already planned their vacation dates, flights, etc...  We sincerely apologize for this.  As always, racers can opt to ITT the route starting whenever their schedule allows.  Adhere to the spirit and letter of the rules, record your times, and check in with us when you're finished.

All the best,

The GDR Steering Committee
www.greatdividerace.com

Topic Name: Great Divide Race ought-nine. Reply #1 on: May 12, 2009, 10:06:34 AM
naked indian

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2009, 10:06:34 AM »

Sounds good.  Hope it stays that way for 2010! headbang

ChEcK OuT ThE NaKeD InDIaN ChrOniClEs: http://singletracksamurai.blogspot.com

Topic Name: Great Divide Race ought-nine. Reply #2 on: June 12, 2009, 03:10:56 PM
1x1rider

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2009, 03:10:56 PM »

What are some common tires used on the route?  anyone know?

-Tom

"I can be just as slow with 1 gear."

Topic Name: Great Divide Race ought-nine. Reply #3 on: June 19, 2009, 11:46:03 AM
SandSurfer

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2009, 11:46:03 AM »

So they started 45 minutes ago.  We do know yet who they all are, but I wish every one of them the best of luck in making it to Mexico.

Topic Name: Great Divide Race ought-nine. Reply #4 on: June 19, 2009, 03:44:36 PM
Kevin Montgomery

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2009, 03:44:36 PM »

Did anyone start this?

Topic Name: Great Divide Race ought-nine. Reply #5 on: June 21, 2009, 03:45:54 PM
ScottM
bikepacking.net admin

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2009, 03:45:54 PM »

Two riders - Cullen Barker and Tommy Tuite.  MTBCast is the only place to follow them.

Author of TopoFusion GPS software.  Co-founder of trackleaders.com - SPOT event tracking.

Topic Name: Great Divide Race ought-nine. Reply #6 on: July 05, 2009, 07:33:12 PM
jonesy792

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2009, 07:33:12 PM »

Talk about a small world, I ran into Cullen in Frisco on friday he looked strong despite the nasty weather that has been rolling in.  Thats more than I can say for myself.
  Pages: [1]
Reply New Topic New Poll
Jump to: