Pages: [1]
Reply Reply New Topic New Poll
  Topic Name: Grand Loop ridden like a girl on: June 03, 2012, 04:22:52 AM
DaveH

View Profile
« on: June 03, 2012, 04:22:52 AM »

Lynda Wallenfels and Cat Morrison just finished the Grand Loop!  They put down a quick time too.  Considering their goals at the start I wasn't expecting them to finish for another day.

They had some fire drama.  The plan was to start at Dewey, but a fire on Carpenter ridge forced them to change plans and start just past Carpenter ridge at Uruvan/141 crossing.  Fire details weren't known until a few hours before the planned start so it was a tad chaotic.  Starting in Uravan meant they really didn't have as much control over the timing of when they'd hit the hot Koko - it sure looked like a head boiling beat down up the Shandies yesterday, any male rider would have tucked tail and descended back to the Colorado Wink

Congrats ladies!  Amazing ride. 

Topic Name: Grand Loop ridden like a girl Reply #1 on: June 03, 2012, 06:37:11 AM
jenyjo

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2012, 06:37:11 AM »

Congratulations rock starrrrrrs!!!!!!!

Topic Name: Grand Loop ridden like a girl Reply #2 on: June 03, 2012, 12:39:24 PM
krefs

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2012, 12:39:24 PM »

...any male rider would have tucked tail and descended back to the Colorado Wink

I tried that once. Unfortunately, you'd just find yourself back at the Colorado and still in the middle of nowhere. It really didn't solve any problems at all!

These two put down a very impressive time, indeed! I'm envious they got to spend a few days out there...it's a beautiful ride through quiet and unforgiving country. What more could one ask for?

Topic Name: Grand Loop ridden like a girl Reply #3 on: June 03, 2012, 04:11:49 PM
DaveH

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2012, 04:11:49 PM »

These two put down a very impressive time, indeed! I'm envious they got to spend a few days out there...it's a beautiful ride through quiet and unforgiving country. What more could one ask for?

Same here!  Vicarious living will have to do for now.  As for what more you could ask for...2700 miles of it and with your favorite person?  Wink

Topic Name: Grand Loop ridden like a girl Reply #4 on: June 03, 2012, 04:34:32 PM
krefs

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2012, 04:34:32 PM »

As for what more you could ask for...2700 miles of it and with your favorite person?  Wink

Hmm. Good point, as long as there isn't too much snow or mud. I'm going to predict that when the going gets tough, it's going to be exponentially tougher on this big bike.

Topic Name: Grand Loop ridden like a girl Reply #5 on: June 04, 2012, 01:17:36 PM
ScottM
bikepacking.net admin

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2012, 01:17:36 PM »

Super stoked for LW & CM.  Rock stars of the highest order!!   headbang glasses2 headbang

Dave, do know how they got through the burn area?  I thought it wasn't to be opened until today?  Open early?  Sweet talk the nice firemen in the area? Wink (that was my plan for Coco...)

Author of TopoFusion GPS software.  Co-founder of trackleaders.com - SPOT event tracking.

Topic Name: Grand Loop ridden like a girl Reply #6 on: June 04, 2012, 01:38:52 PM
LyndaW

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2012, 01:38:52 PM »

Thanks for all the congrats. We made it!! That is a wild and woolly loop and I'm sure there are monkeys in the trees on the Roubideau section.

Scott - When we left GJ we had no word on the closure and had a fire detour route as a back up plan. At Dewey bridge bathrooms a man was curious in what we were doing and then told us he was Mesa county search and rescue and that we wouldn't have any problem getting through as the fire had been contained. Then a few hours later, near the top of north Beaver Mesa a rancher on a moto stopped us to tell us not to ride down "his" bikepack trail (still have no clue where that trail is) as he had just sent 100 cows down it and it was closed! He told us that the Buckeye road had been opened too. When we got to Taylor Flat it was dark but I saw a barricade lying face down in the grass off to the side of the road and assumed it was moved when the area opened and was waiting to be picked up. It had rained up there most of the day and the ground was wet. We never saw any closed signs or people. It all looked open to us. We did ride through the area in the wee hours of the morning so didn't get to see any firemen as I'm guessing they were sleeping. We did see them buzzing around Naturita the next morning driving very fast in Hot-shot vans. Just before we hit Paradox where the pavement starts at the bottom of Carpenter ridge there was a barricade across the road saying area closed. So no sweet talking girls tricks for you ;-) We were going to ride the detour and were not interested in riding through a closed area...
« Last Edit: June 04, 2012, 01:45:10 PM by LyndaW » Logged

http://lwcoaching.com/ Mountain bike coaching and training plans.

Topic Name: Grand Loop ridden like a girl Reply #7 on: June 04, 2012, 01:55:23 PM
ScottM
bikepacking.net admin

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2012, 01:55:23 PM »

Awesome.  Really glad it all worked out for you guys!

So is it a joint record for bp.net's ultra page?  Or did you sprint finish on flat roads into Uravan???

Oh yeah, and boys can sweet talk too!  Wink  Kinda.

Author of TopoFusion GPS software.  Co-founder of trackleaders.com - SPOT event tracking.

Topic Name: Grand Loop ridden like a girl Reply #8 on: June 04, 2012, 02:16:40 PM
LyndaW

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2012, 02:16:40 PM »

Joint. We finished together. In fact we crashed into each other at the end by accident...LOL...lots of giddiness and finish euphoria was involved.

But if it had come down to a sprint finish I'm sure Cat would have crushed me.

Topic Name: Grand Loop ridden like a girl Reply #9 on: June 04, 2012, 03:01:58 PM
dkirk

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2012, 03:01:58 PM »

Fantastic job Lynda and Kat! That's an awesome loop. Sounds like you were in the right frame of mind on the Roubideau . Except I swear there was going to be a pterodactyl come flying over one of those ridges thumbsup

Topic Name: Grand Loop ridden like a girl Reply #10 on: June 08, 2012, 06:08:26 AM
JimL

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: June 08, 2012, 06:08:26 AM »

Excellent job ladies!   thumbsup

Topic Name: Grand Loop ridden like a girl Reply #11 on: June 11, 2012, 08:35:05 PM
LyndaW

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: June 11, 2012, 08:35:05 PM »

My Grand Loop Blog http://2-epic.com/?p=1720

Pages: [1]
Reply New Topic New Poll
Jump to: