Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7]
Reply Reply New Topic New Poll
  Topic Name: Grand Loop dreaming Reply #120 on: April 02, 2019, 09:05:07 AM
MikeC

View Profile WWW
« Reply #120 on: April 02, 2019, 09:05:07 AM »

So is the common practice to wait two weeks until after the snotel telemetry bottoms out? What if you were to go as soon as it hit 0"?

I really wanted to try it this year, but come June 14th I'm occupied. Not sure I will hit it right...

Lots of variables.  Very unlikely IMO to be ready by your deadline.  But it could warm up fast and come down quick.  A dust storm over Moab (common in spring) could blanket the snowpack with dust, accelerating melt.  Could have lots of rain.

I'd say it's unlikely, but anything can happen.

Topic Name: Grand Loop dreaming Reply #121 on: April 05, 2019, 06:47:42 AM
DaveH

View Profile
« Reply #121 on: April 05, 2019, 06:47:42 AM »

Here's another data point: https://www.nrcs.usda.gov/Internet/WCIS//siteCharts/Proj/WTEQ/CO/Columbine.html

Or, quite a few Wink This shows projected SWE for the Columbine snowtel. The median guess is it goes to zero May 26. If that happens I'll give it a go around June 7 if the deserts aren't too hot by then.

Topic Name: Grand Loop dreaming Reply #122 on: April 05, 2019, 06:48:39 AM
DaveH

View Profile
« Reply #122 on: April 05, 2019, 06:48:39 AM »

Come paddle while you wait!

Sounds delightful, I may finally take you up on that!

Topic Name: Grand Loop dreaming Reply #123 on: May 17, 2019, 06:02:49 PM
BD

View Profile
« Reply #123 on: May 17, 2019, 06:02:49 PM »

Columbine Snotel to 0" today.

Hard to believe the precipitous drop over last week can be real!- maybe it has rained a ton at 10K?? Will keep watch for a "readjustment", but this bodes hopeful for June 7th plan for a quick go on the "UP Loop"- Cottonwood to Cottonwood via Love Mesa, Koski, new reroute, Glencoe, Pool Creek (if this Snotel data is real and translates to the ground in typical fashion!) and Roubideau. 3 weeks from now. I will be amazed if Pool Creek is not buried, Snotel data be damned. I have even been wondering if the Roubideau will be passable in early June this year- soft snow bridges over epically raging creeks could be pretty, well, epic.

Topic Name: Grand Loop dreaming Reply #124 on: June 05, 2019, 08:37:15 AM
Woodland

View Profile WWW
« Reply #124 on: June 05, 2019, 08:37:15 AM »

Columbine Snotel to 0" today.

I wondered if anyone else had noticed that, too.

Well, I just finished an out-and-back of sorts on the Kokopelli.

The spigot at Westwater was running and had been tested when I went through on Friday. When I came back through on Monday, the spigot had stopped - an engineer was apparently coming to fix it. The rangers had jerry cans of water that they let me fill up with.

So...don't plan on that spigot, or the jerry cans for that matter.

Buck Spring had a nice little pool in it and Castle creek was flowing clear and strong.

Topic Name: Grand Loop dreaming Reply #125 on: June 10, 2019, 03:09:48 PM
BD

View Profile
« Reply #125 on: June 10, 2019, 03:09:48 PM »

We rode Cottonwood to Cottonwood last few days. Walked a lot of snow at top of Love Mesa and at top of Hauser/Darling Lake- prob. walked 4-5 miles of snow all together. Pool Creek ST still under about 5’ of snow. Divide Road plowed from Columbine Pass to about East Bull Creek Road and rideable, but south of there still quite buried- my guess is they will plow through to Hauser area in next week or so; big plows up there blocking the road currently. Did not drop down to Roubideau as it was pretty epically buried and flooded up there- postholed and then rode Divide Road from Houser back you Columbine Pass. Koski Traverse fully burned last year- all skeletons in there now. They have graded the trails post-fire, and it is way easier than it once was- total bummer. Still beautiful and remitebwith lots of bear tracks still. PT reroute to and past Nucla was classic PT- beautiful, rugged, much of it unrideable for us mortals. 3 miles of new ST into Nucla were a blast. Nucla was a great resupply, and super easy to get to now as compared to the original PT before reroute- nice job by Mr. Koski et al! My guess: 2-3 weeks before Hauser/Pool Ck/Roubideau is open and rideable. Love Mesa about the same... Peace.

Topic Name: Grand Loop dreaming Reply #126 on: June 10, 2019, 03:16:20 PM
BD

View Profile
« Reply #126 on: June 10, 2019, 03:16:20 PM »

Also- Glencow Bench was exactly that. Beautiful and green and wet and I have never seen such cow-destroyed treadway in my life. I think I lost a filling up there...

Topic Name: Grand Loop dreaming Reply #127 on: June 11, 2019, 05:53:07 AM
DaveH

View Profile
« Reply #127 on: June 11, 2019, 05:53:07 AM »

Thanks for the update BD! That was a real slogfest.

I bailed on the GL concept for this year when I saw region snowpack at somewhere around 400% of normal. Not open until almost July? Dang, that is death season at lower elevations.

Bummer about Kosko traverse! I didn't know it burned. That was deffo a favorite spot last year, it'll be a scorcher with zero tree cover.

Seems a good year for an early fall run...

Topic Name: Grand Loop dreaming Reply #128 on: August 29, 2019, 05:50:19 PM
windowace

View Profile
« Reply #128 on: August 29, 2019, 05:50:19 PM »

Hey Folks,  I'm planning on having a go at the Grand Loop route posted by Dave on 5/31/19. If anyone is interested in being out there at the same time,  I am expecting to start September 9th or 10th.    Likely starting at West Water or Fruita and heading CCW. My intention is to cover the course as quickly as possible but with minimal night riding.  I love riding at night and even riding all night on occasion for racing, but I would prefer to see as much of the landscape as possible for this fast tour.  My email is windowace@comcast.net if there are any interested parties. Cheers.
  Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7]
Reply New Topic New Poll
Jump to: