Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7
Reply Reply New Topic New Poll
  Topic Name: Grand Loop dreaming Reply #60 on: March 10, 2018, 09:29:59 AM
Gimmearaise

View Profile WWW
« Reply #60 on: March 10, 2018, 09:29:59 AM »

Based on the Columbine Pass SNOTEL, the route this year might be passable sooner than most years, we are currently looking at a total snowpack of 21 inches and it looks to be melting pretty quickly.  That being said, who knows what spring will offer and I have a hunch that it might be a wet one considering how dry this winter has been. Thats how it works, right?
https://wcc.sc.egov.usda.gov/nwcc/site?sitenum=409

So...... if we want to bring this race back, we should brainstorm a group start. Personally, I'm busy most of May with a trip to Peru, but I don't necessarily need to partake in the group start, I just think we should set a date and keep it rather consistent from year to year.  It seems in the past, early June was the best time to start, and to avoid some heat, maybe we start on a Friday evening, say 5pm? What do people think about June 1st or June 8th start with the thought of going counter-clockwise starting at the Lunch Loops TH.

Also, it sounds like they are going to finish the path from Fruita to Loma here soon, this will be a nice addition to the route and a great alternative to I70. I was pretty scared going through this section during my ITT attempt this past fall. I had a number of 18 wheelers honk at me showing there displeasure of me riding the HWY. Does any GL locals have an update on this path? It also sounds like Paul Koski is working on improving some trails into Nucla, which would be much appreciate, but you will still have to endure the Koski Traverse, something that basically broke me to my core this past fall. There is an optional resupply in Nucla, and this happens to be the only resupply along the route outside of services near GJ/Fruita.

It is my understanding this is a much more difficult route than what was initially drawn up, and breaking 3 days, seems next to imposable, but who knows.

Anyways, I just wanted to get the ground work started. I'm happy to organize this, but at the same time, I have yet to complete the whole route. I'm going to perhaps give it a go if weather allows in early May but a new job and a busy schedule may not allow. I might just try to run Nucla to GJ, we shall see.

Thanks,
Neil

WWW.BikepackingSummit.com

Topic Name: Grand Loop dreaming Reply #61 on: March 12, 2018, 07:59:16 AM
wolfmansbro

View Profile WWW
« Reply #61 on: March 12, 2018, 07:59:16 AM »

If the snow melts early, I'm game for a April 27th or May 4th Depart. Rest of May and June are booked for me.

Topic Name: Grand Loop dreaming Reply #62 on: March 12, 2018, 08:44:20 AM
DaveH

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: March 12, 2018, 08:44:20 AM »

I've never seen the Tab clear out early May but these aren't ordinary conditions. It just might go. The long range forecast http://www.cpc.ncep.noaa.gov/products/predictions/long_range/seasonal.php?lead=2 is warm and dry. You'd want to see the Columbine snowtel bottom out early to mid April and a following 2-3 weeks of well above normal temps to have viable conditions.

One alternative - since the route is going through some metamorphosis, you could remove that small bit of singletrack at the top of the Tab. The route would be passable at least 2 weeks earlier without that section, it is the spring crux. Snow in the trees makes for slow melt and a hidden trail. Without that section the route would stick to the Divide road up top then drop down to Roubidoux by jeep road. That might be a messy wet slog late april/early may but you could follow it. 

Whatever route you decide on will almost certainly become the new race route, so choose wisely Smiley

Topic Name: Grand Loop dreaming Reply #63 on: March 12, 2018, 08:54:29 AM
DaveH

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: March 12, 2018, 08:54:29 AM »

Got out for a counter-clockwise tour of the Grand Loop starting this past Sunday morning, departing around 8:45am from Dewey. I decided to ride the same route as Neil, thinking that it seemed more reasonable to detour into Nucla for resupply, and I also wanted to get through the high points of the route before moisture/snow moved into the area late Monday/early Tues. I had a blast, mostly(!), fully invested in the experience, enjoying ticking off miles through sweeping and ever-changing landscapes, from the desert to the high desert, to the sub alpine and back, it was wild to ride through the beautifully diverse Colorado Plateau. I'm still being haunted by the specter of my experience on the Grand Loop, but god damn, it felt good to rip and romp around on the bike through such beautiful country. What a blessing to call Colorado home! I packed way too much water (120 oz) and food (2 days worth) from the start, my bike weighing more than I care to remember. Definitely felt the burden by the end of the 100 mile day, succumbing to sleep fairly early, around 10:30. Wasn't motivated to begin riding in the cold and dark morning, so I woke with the sun after laying down for 8 hours. I was less than 2 hours out from Nucla, so I rallied into town for resupply, and was on my way to tackle the Plateau. A long, grind of a climb took me up to Columbine Pass, and then what seemed like endless riding across the plateau, with short shots descending into watersheds and then the steep, chunky climb out. Rode hard on the gravel service road through a snow squall in the middle of the night, snowflakes blazing by in the glow of my K-Lite, loving every second. Got in 140 miles before I laid down to sleep around 2. Woke at 7 having slept poorly, and thought it would be a fairly quick ride into GJ. After descending down a ways and crossing HY141, I didn't realize the extent of the rough and tough stretch of the Tabaguache, before FINALLY dropping into GJ. A quick resupply and lunch and I was off, heading to Loma and then south, as it looked like the route had me riding the Interstate(?). Started on the Kokopelli around 2pm, and was LOVING the views of the Colorado river and canyons from the cliff shelves, and I guess the single track was ok too after mostly 300 miles of double-track and gravel roads. Rode hard this final stretch, mashing away, as I still had a 3.5 hour drive home and work waiting for me at 10am the next morning. In my haste and discomfort, I bailed off the route proper when I hit CR128, opting to ride 5-6 miles of pavement back to where I started. Finished around 11pm, and was super psyched to be done, but not so psyched to drive home.

This route is rad, thanks to everyone who established it!

- Paul H

Fantastic! I didn't see your post until now...it's always exciting to see someone complete this loop. It doesn't happen very often, but when it does it leaves impressions that last forever. 120 oz water doesn't sound like much for a GL ride to me but then again I have only done it late may/early june. Snow...yea I've had frost but no snow! That yellow jacket section of the koko is one tough way to setup a finish, you chose wisely Wink Sounds like a great adventure, thanks for sharing!

Topic Name: Grand Loop dreaming Reply #64 on: March 12, 2018, 05:57:43 PM
MikeC

View Profile WWW
« Reply #64 on: March 12, 2018, 05:57:43 PM »

It seems in the past, early June was the best time to start, and to avoid some heat, maybe we start on a Friday evening, say 5pm? What do people think about June 1st or June 8th start with the thought of going counter-clockwise starting at the Lunch Loops TH.

Also, it sounds like they are going to finish the path from Fruita to Loma here soon

Lots of heavy equipment working on the trail near the Loma exit right now.  Trail is done within ~2 miles of there, and it looks like the last bridge might even be in place.  Won't be done in weeks -- they tend to drag things out finishing benches, signage, etc... -- but early June seems totally safe to bet on.

Historically we left on a Friday night for exactly the reason you mentioned -- heat avoidance.  It was also chosen so that if you were gunning for a fast time it'd put you into Bedrock in time to catch the store before closing on the second night.

For now, I'm just going to ignore DH posting encouragement to make this a road race...

Topic Name: Grand Loop dreaming Reply #65 on: March 14, 2018, 05:52:58 PM
snowblind

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: March 14, 2018, 05:52:58 PM »

I’m thinking of giving it a go on Memorial Day weekend to take advantage of the paid day off. I’m betting that unless it starts snowing, the trail will be clear given the low snow year. I could be wrong but I’m betting I’m not. Friday afternoon start. Anyone want to commit to a start date? Plus I’m most likely traveling for work the traditional starting weekend.

Jim

Topic Name: Grand Loop dreaming Reply #66 on: March 15, 2018, 08:57:53 AM
wolfmansbro

View Profile WWW
« Reply #66 on: March 15, 2018, 08:57:53 AM »

How about we set an unconventional date for the start? We could use Dave's formula of Columbine Snowtel SWE at zero, and we depart the first Friday after it is at zero for 2 weeks?
That would theoretically give everyone a two weeks notice to ask for time off work.

Topic Name: Grand Loop dreaming Reply #67 on: March 15, 2018, 09:11:50 AM
Cedar Wing

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: March 15, 2018, 09:11:50 AM »

Pumped this is getting picked up with a potential group start. I would be in and dates can be flexible for me, just wanted to let the group know of another racer. Would be traveling in from Dillon, CO too if folks want to try and coordinate travel or other bikepack pursuits before CTR.

Topic Name: Grand Loop dreaming Reply #68 on: March 15, 2018, 12:23:54 PM
the.hamtron

View Profile
« Reply #68 on: March 15, 2018, 12:23:54 PM »

I'm interested, date depending.

Topic Name: Grand Loop dreaming Reply #69 on: March 15, 2018, 08:12:41 PM
peteshoe

View Profile
« Reply #69 on: March 15, 2018, 08:12:41 PM »

I think I could make June 1st or 8th work. If we're picking a consistent date, the first Friday of June has a ring to it.  This would also remove the snow risk of which Dave speaks.  This has been on my bucket list for a while, I'd love to give it a go -

Topic Name: Grand Loop dreaming Reply #70 on: March 15, 2018, 09:49:34 PM
Gimmearaise

View Profile WWW
« Reply #70 on: March 15, 2018, 09:49:34 PM »

Alright, this is great, people are interested. For future years sake I do like the idea of the first Friday in June, but I also like Jason's start idea, but then you can't really plan very far in advance if people need to put in time off months in advance. Maybe Memorial Day weekend could work?

Mike, If we do end up removing the singletrack at the top of the Tab, you know the Koski travers is a extremely difficult, and we add all the singletrack into Nucla, this and adding the Western Rim could even things out perhaps. This would be far more rugged than the Bedrock detour and still allow a resupply in Nucla. I like the idea of rolling this event a bit earlier as it gets so damn hot out in the desert sections.

A Memorial Day start every year could be nice for vacation time.

Let me know what you think. I'll try and recon the TAB before this years GD but it might not happen if I can't find time in Early May.

Thanks,
Neil

WWW.BikepackingSummit.com

Topic Name: Grand Loop dreaming Reply #71 on: March 15, 2018, 11:10:58 PM
MikeC

View Profile WWW
« Reply #71 on: March 15, 2018, 11:10:58 PM »

Mike, If we do end up removing the singletrack at the top of the Tab, you know the Koski travers is a extremely difficult, and we add all the singletrack into Nucla, this and adding the Western Rim could even things out perhaps. This would be far more rugged than the Bedrock detour and still allow a resupply in Nucla. I like the idea of rolling this event a bit earlier as it gets so damn hot out in the desert sections.

This route/race is a crowd-sourced thing now, not one person's event.  As such, the group gets to determine what level of rationalization makes sense.

Removing the Tab singletrack does make sense in that it allows for an earlier common start.  I can't necessarily fault anyone for wanting that.

But it's also sort of a cornerstone of the route.  Not because it's big or epic or sweet or stunning, but *because* it makes planning more challenging.  We take our local loops for granted because they're *right there* and we can ride them anytime.  Anyone that's been out there will argue that the Grand Loop will never be taken for granted, no matter how many tiny course changes are made.  And I think that should be the goal -- to keep it big, and bad, and unpredictable, and hard on every level.  Even before we get there.

Death by a thousand cuts is what I fear.  It's supposed to leave a mark that never, ever goes away.  It wouldn't be nearly as profound to the finisher if it didn't.

Topic Name: Grand Loop dreaming Reply #72 on: March 16, 2018, 04:33:24 PM
Biggs23

View Profile
« Reply #72 on: March 16, 2018, 04:33:24 PM »

Well,whatever route/date is chosen I'm down to give it a go.I've played around out there over the years and yes the GL is an ass kicker,but what the heck sounds like a great way to kick off the Summer.

Topic Name: Grand Loop dreaming Reply #73 on: April 05, 2018, 07:42:21 PM
snowblind

View Profile
« Reply #73 on: April 05, 2018, 07:42:21 PM »

Looks like the snow is melting nicely. I’m still thinking Memorial Day weekend. If it’s just me, I’d roll out from Fruita around noon on Friday.  If a group is forming I’d be fine with starting in GJ although I like the idea of doorstep to doorstep better.  I’ll probably do a little recon the end of April and check out the southern side of the loop a bit.

Topic Name: Grand Loop dreaming Reply #74 on: April 06, 2018, 10:12:40 AM
Biggs23

View Profile
« Reply #74 on: April 06, 2018, 10:12:40 AM »

Looks like the snow is melting nicely. I’m still thinking Memorial Day weekend. If it’s just me, I’d roll out from Fruita around noon on Friday.  If a group is forming I’d be fine with starting in GJ although I like the idea of doorstep to doorstep better.  I’ll probably do a little recon the end of April and check out the southern side of the loop a bit.
I like the start time.I can make this happen.GJ/Fruita start I'm good either way. thumbsup

Topic Name: Grand Loop dreaming Reply #75 on: April 06, 2018, 10:20:04 AM
MikeC

View Profile WWW
« Reply #75 on: April 06, 2018, 10:20:04 AM »

FYI, the bike path from Fruita to Loma is definitely progressing every day.  But I heard that DOT doesn't anticipate it being done all the way/open until July.

IMO, no biggie to just ride the 10' wide shoulder of I-70 for ~4 miles from Fruita.  That's what I've always done.

Topic Name: Grand Loop dreaming Reply #76 on: April 06, 2018, 01:48:39 PM
Biggs23

View Profile
« Reply #76 on: April 06, 2018, 01:48:39 PM »

FYI, the bike path from Fruita to Loma is definitely progressing every day.  But I heard that DOT doesn't anticipate it being done all the way/open until July.

IMO, no biggie to just ride the 10' wide shoulder of I-70 for ~4 miles from Fruita.  That's what I've always done.
Thanks for the info Mike.Bike path from Fruita to Loma,pretty sweet.

Topic Name: Grand Loop dreaming Reply #77 on: April 12, 2018, 09:11:03 AM
wolfmansbro

View Profile WWW
« Reply #77 on: April 12, 2018, 09:11:03 AM »

down to 2" of snow. Seems like we might only be a few weeks out....

Topic Name: Grand Loop dreaming Reply #78 on: April 15, 2018, 07:46:30 AM
snowblind

View Profile
« Reply #78 on: April 15, 2018, 07:46:30 AM »

It's now bottomed out, going to be a dangerous fire year.  I won't be able to swing any earlier then Memorial Day weekend.  Post up a report if you go earlier.

Topic Name: Grand Loop dreaming Reply #79 on: April 16, 2018, 08:16:56 AM
peteshoe

View Profile
« Reply #79 on: April 16, 2018, 08:16:56 AM »

I can't do the holiday weekend, that's kids/family time for me. I'm still looking for an ITT window the 1st or 2nd week of June if anyone wants to join me -
  Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7
Reply New Topic New Poll
Jump to: