Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 14
Reply Reply New Topic New Poll
  Topic Name: Grand Loop 2009 Reply #40 on: May 08, 2009, 05:39:23 AM
Pivvay

Riding and exploring

View Profile WWW
« Reply #40 on: May 08, 2009, 05:39:23 AM »

Thanks Marshall. I am hoping to sneak a peak this weekend as well though I'm not sure I can drag 4 non-grand loopers up there.

I reserve my final judgment until at least after this weekend Wink

-Chris Plesko

Topic Name: Grand Loop 2009 Reply #41 on: May 08, 2009, 07:22:04 AM
Stefan_G

View Profile WWW
« Reply #41 on: May 08, 2009, 07:22:04 AM »

Well, I got to reminiscing about the GL, and I reread everyone's trip reports that I could find posted on the GL route page.  Good stuff ya'll.  Such a great way to preserve and refresh memories.

DaveH, I think you must not have slept yet when you calculated your finish time in '07:  Finishing at 3:02p (based on our 19:45p start) adds up to 2d19h17m instead of 2d19h47m.  Wow, that is freaking fast!  Just thought I'd share in case someone ever finishes within that 30 minute window and starts rejoicing, only to have their heart broken after pulling out a calculator.  icon_biggrin Hard to believe this went unnoticed for 2 years... 

“The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not.”
  -- frequently (mis)attributed to Thomas Jefferson

Topic Name: Grand Loop 2009 Reply #42 on: May 08, 2009, 12:23:37 PM
ScottM
bikepacking.net admin

View Profile WWW
« Reply #42 on: May 08, 2009, 12:23:37 PM »

You're right Stefan... I just checked Dave's GPS track and I get 2:19:18 (it says 7:44 start).  Pain required just went up a little.

I'm thinking hard on this Grand Loop nonsense, and I am not sure I can resist.  I can make either 22 or 29.  I feel like I need to ride with Jefe on the 29th, a three year reunion, but I also feel like not getting completely scorched.  I'll probably see how the conditions roll (both temps on 22 and any further snow reports). 

I'll be setting up a general purpose GL SPOT tracker for anyone that will be carrying one.  It's open to tourists and racers alike, no matter the start date.  I know at least one group is touring it with a SPOT, starting around the same time frame.

Author of TopoFusion GPS software.  Co-founder of trackleaders.com - SPOT event tracking.

Topic Name: Grand Loop 2009 Reply #43 on: May 08, 2009, 12:57:51 PM
Stefan_G

View Profile WWW
« Reply #43 on: May 08, 2009, 12:57:51 PM »

Just do it Scott!  Flap your fuzzy wings and stretch your antennae towards the flame.  You know you just want to join the nonsensical madness.  :-)

Awesome news on the GL SPOT page too.  I actually know of 2 groups planning on touring it this month - and both groups are friends of mine that I've somehow convinced that riding the GL is a good idea.   icon_scratch  I mean, what, haven't they read any of my trip reports?  Geeez...  Heh, heh.  Hopefully I won't get any death threats like you got from AZTers.

I know Chris and Bob will have a Spot, and I'll try to get my buddy Max to bring one too so we can all be a voyeurs.

“The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not.”
  -- frequently (mis)attributed to Thomas Jefferson

Topic Name: Grand Loop 2009 Reply #44 on: May 08, 2009, 05:55:52 PM
Marshal

View Profile WWW
« Reply #44 on: May 08, 2009, 05:55:52 PM »

Here is a video 'snow condition' report from yesterday.........http://desertmountainride.blogspot.com/2009/05/morning-ride.html

Topic Name: Grand Loop 2009 Reply #45 on: May 09, 2009, 08:39:18 PM
ScottM
bikepacking.net admin

View Profile WWW
« Reply #45 on: May 09, 2009, 08:39:18 PM »

Here is a video 'snow condition' report from yesterday.........http://desertmountainride.blogspot.com/2009/05/morning-ride.html

Thanks for the video.  Gives a better 'feel' for it.

Looks like you rode to just under 9000 feet.  The Tab section in the trees is at ~9800', so it could still be a completely different story up there, right?

Author of TopoFusion GPS software.  Co-founder of trackleaders.com - SPOT event tracking.

Topic Name: Grand Loop 2009 Reply #46 on: May 09, 2009, 09:00:06 PM
Marshal

View Profile WWW
« Reply #46 on: May 09, 2009, 09:00:06 PM »

Thanks for the video.  Gives a better 'feel' for it.

Looks like you rode to just under 9000 feet.  The Tab section in the trees is at ~9800', so it could still be a completely different story up there, right?

I could see up to about 9300-9500 feet, saw ‘banks’ of snow but nothing that would stop someone, even off the main road(s). However the highest GL elevation, around Transformer Rd is a long ways from where I was and if past conditions/reports hold, that area will still be completely impassable for a few more days.  From what I saw I would be inclined to guess it may be passable sooner than the 30th, maybe by the 23-24th, but that’s mostly a wag.

Note…..I was hot and toasty by 9:00am at 9000ft

Topic Name: Grand Loop 2009 Reply #47 on: May 11, 2009, 06:43:06 AM
DaveH

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: May 11, 2009, 06:43:06 AM »

Cool, thanks for the recon mission Marshal. 

For reference, in '07 when I tried mid-May, the Divide road was clear everywhere, even up to Transformer.  Once off road into the singletrack it got snowy quick, and when it got north facing in the trees it was (I'm guessing) still 6+' deep - solid, not just drifts.

My camera died before I got there the first time around, but it's at this spot that I got turned back.  It's about June 1 in this pic: 

« Last Edit: May 11, 2009, 06:48:42 AM by DaveH » Logged

Topic Name: Grand Loop 2009 Reply #48 on: May 12, 2009, 06:45:59 AM
DaveH

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: May 12, 2009, 06:45:59 AM »

OK Grand Loopers, the time is getting close.  Can we set a common start time and place?  My vote is for the traditional start from the Tab TH at 6pm, May 29.  The start doesn't really have to be at the Tab TH - could be at some place in town near a good parking locale?

Scott, Jay, Chad, JimL, Jefe, Marshal, DKirk, (<insert your name here>), whatd'ya say? 

Topic Name: Grand Loop 2009 Reply #49 on: May 12, 2009, 11:23:56 AM
JimL

View Profile WWW
« Reply #49 on: May 12, 2009, 11:23:56 AM »

Hey Everyone,

Yep, still sticking with the stick in the mud traditionalists: Tab TH (or town or such and roll by the TH on the way?), 6pm, 29th.

I'm spotting too...  Heh, that just doesn't sound right.   icon_biggrin

Also secured a room at the Quality Inn (733 Horizon Dr) for Thurs/Fri night (28th/29th) and hope to leave my car there during the ride.  If anyone has any issues with accommodations, transportation or what not before the race, let me know.

Looks like we're going to have quite a group.  It's going to be a great time out on the trails.

One more thing: Thanks to everyone who has posted up about the course conditions, previous trip reports, getting the spot on the 'Robby' deal, etc.  This site and it's contributors have been a gold mine in preparing for these types of events.  Sure beats having to sift through all the 'What tires and tire pressure do I run?' riff-raff over on MTBR.

Welp, time for lastminiuteplanningforgotthisorthatohcrapwhatnowwigoutmode...

Topic Name: Grand Loop 2009 Reply #50 on: May 12, 2009, 07:41:07 PM
Marshal

View Profile WWW
« Reply #50 on: May 12, 2009, 07:41:07 PM »

OK Grand Loopers, the time is getting close.  Can we set a common start time and place?  My vote is for the traditional start from the Tab TH at 6pm, May 29.  The start doesn't really have to be at the Tab TH - could be at some place in town near a good parking locale?

Scott, Jay, Chad, JimL, Jefe, Marshal, DKirk, (<insert your name here>), whatd'ya say? 

Dave,    My vote is……….

I would much rather deal with cold and snow than desert heat.  Thus my original plan was to leave at the end of this week and just re-route up high as needed.  But a customer down in AZ that I have been trying to work with for several yrs calls……..plus I am hacking and coughing up a storm, feels sort like the pig flu…..ahh, no no I didn’t say that nono

Anyway, so now I plan to start on the 28th (my 53rd) or the 29th.  However I will not be leaving from the Tab TH at 6:00pm.  I have a totally different strategy, better suited imo to my much slower speeds for getting across the desert and up to the cool water at Fisher Creek.

So I aint gona vote……… but if I do start on the 29th , well then my camera has a flash so slow down a bit and say hi as you roll by and I will take your picture

Oh, & I be laying down some Spot Dots thumbsup

Topic Name: Grand Loop 2009 Reply #51 on: May 12, 2009, 09:08:43 PM
frejwilk

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: May 12, 2009, 09:08:43 PM »

Speaking purely as a non-rider, I'd advocate a Tabaguache start. One reason is tradition. Another is a common start / end point. Were I riding, I'd have a hard time pedaling to just about anywhere very far from the Tabaguache trailhead (to complete 'a loop') upon finishing. Another reason is to promote the group 'untimed prologue' concept. I think it's a unique / cool aspect to the GLR. Although I guess it could happen from any other start point.

Have fun, and good luck out there,

FW

Topic Name: Grand Loop 2009 Reply #52 on: May 13, 2009, 12:49:50 PM
dkirk

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: May 13, 2009, 12:49:50 PM »

Hey everyone,
I'm with Fred on this one. I also will be armcharing this year. I like the tradition of this ride. At least you get to talk during that prologue. There's nothing like riding through the desert at night. And it only seems right to experience No Mas Hill in a counter clockwise direction. Such a shame to miss all of the emotional highs and lows if it were done the other direction.

Anyway, have fun, be safe and I'll be following whenever you start.

Later,
Dave

Topic Name: Grand Loop 2009 Reply #53 on: May 13, 2009, 12:51:18 PM
wookieone

View Profile WWW
« Reply #53 on: May 13, 2009, 12:51:18 PM »

Oh yes I am in, 29th, 6PM, all good for me, I was playing with the idea of earlier start time, but 6 works. I should be spotting as well, ordered yesterday, so yeah looking like a "good" time, glad to see others lining up to try this thing again, can't wait, or can I, I do wonder what do I need to do to get on the Spot board? Also debating SS or gears, hmmmmm? Ok hope you all can make it, eh, he, he, Scott?, would be great to see you there...oh yes it would, ok, Peace Jefe

the impossible just hurts more...
pedaling is my prozac...

https://jwookieone.com/colorado-trail-race/9667-2/

Topic Name: Grand Loop 2009 Reply #54 on: May 14, 2009, 07:23:07 PM
Bob_P

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: May 14, 2009, 07:23:07 PM »

All righty--Chris and I will be shoving off on June 3rd early am.  We are shooting to be done late Saturday, but have Sunday to finish the tour if we're hang-doggin it.  We will hopefully be set up on Mr Morris' spot page.  Good luck to everybody! thumbsup..I really want to be able to share our success story this year! 

Topic Name: Grand Loop 2009 Reply #55 on: May 16, 2009, 10:20:31 AM
ScottM
bikepacking.net admin

View Profile WWW
« Reply #55 on: May 16, 2009, 10:20:31 AM »

My probability of nonsensity is inching higher by the day.  I think Chad and I will head up and sign on for the classic start on the 29th.

I'll have a SPOT tracker ready sometime this week.  If people want to start sending me share page URLs (and an 'avatar pic' if desired), go for it.
In the meantime we need to twist DH's arm into carrying one.

Topic Name: Grand Loop 2009 Reply #56 on: May 16, 2009, 12:01:53 PM
Slowerthensnot

Have fun and go far

View Profile WWW
« Reply #56 on: May 16, 2009, 12:01:53 PM »

My probability of nonsensity is inching higher by the day.  I think Chad and I will head up and sign on for the classic start on the 29th.

I'll have a SPOT tracker ready sometime this week.  If people want to start sending me share page URLs (and an 'avatar pic' if desired), go for it.
In the meantime we need to twist DH's arm into carrying one.

Good luck on that one!

Topic Name: Grand Loop 2009 Reply #57 on: May 17, 2009, 07:18:02 PM
JayP

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: May 17, 2009, 07:18:02 PM »

I have definitly had my nights of tossing and turning over this route but timing is everything... right now I have full tunnel vision on one thing, Great Divide Route, tandem. So, no go for me.

Dave, don't give in!

Have fun gentlemen, I will be jealous and anticipating the second hand info.

Topic Name: Grand Loop 2009 Reply #58 on: May 18, 2009, 09:27:25 AM
ScottM
bikepacking.net admin

View Profile WWW
« Reply #58 on: May 18, 2009, 09:27:25 AM »

Bummer you're out, JayP.  It would be a bit much to do GL and the Divide, so close.  Tandem takes it to a new level, too.

Anyone else want to bail?  DaveH, you've been a little silent lately.

Somehow I think there will be a tandem tracked by a SPOT come June....  icon_scratch

Topic Name: Grand Loop 2009 Reply #59 on: May 18, 2009, 09:34:26 AM
DaveH

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: May 18, 2009, 09:34:26 AM »

Oh fear not Scott, I'm in like Flynn.  The obsession is in full swing.  Even managed a 140 mile hard weekend ride with extreme amounts of hike a bike in preparation  icon_biggrin
  Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 14
Reply New Topic New Poll
Jump to: