Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 14
Reply Reply New Topic New Poll
  Topic Name: Grand Loop 2009 Reply #80 on: May 26, 2009, 09:25:51 PM
ScottM
bikepacking.net admin

View Profile WWW
« Reply #80 on: May 26, 2009, 09:25:51 PM »

Rideable??  Surely you jest, but definitely the favorable direction.  What about Red Canyon???

I just couldn't get my head around it.  Bed time now... Grand Loop here we come!!!!!

Author of TopoFusion GPS software.  Co-founder of trackleaders.com - SPOT event tracking.

Topic Name: Grand Loop 2009 Reply #81 on: May 26, 2009, 09:39:30 PM
Stefan_G

View Profile WWW
« Reply #81 on: May 26, 2009, 09:39:30 PM »

Rideable??  Surely you jest, but definitely the favorable direction.  What about Red Canyon???

I just couldn't get my head around it.  Bed time now... Grand Loop here we come!!!!!

Yeah, I confess, I was just trying to sucker you in last minute... Have a great time out there!!

“The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not.”
  -- frequently (mis)attributed to Thomas Jefferson

Topic Name: Grand Loop 2009 Reply #82 on: May 26, 2009, 09:54:36 PM
Marshal

View Profile WWW
« Reply #82 on: May 26, 2009, 09:54:36 PM »

So if we do the new ST section we get to turn "left" at the Houser, Divide intersection??

Topic Name: Grand Loop 2009 Reply #83 on: May 26, 2009, 10:29:20 PM
frejwilk

View Profile
« Reply #83 on: May 26, 2009, 10:29:20 PM »

Scott and Chad,

Definitely don't consider anything as probably. More like don't be surprised.. I'll do my best.

Your finish timing should be perfect - Drag yourself into GJ Friday night or Saturday morning. Force down the ice cream. Save room for pizza. Take turns driving to Moab (45 min each or 2x20min). Bring whoever can be influenced. Party down. Take advantage of quality accommodations. Sunday, enjoy an entirely doable SHORT and EASY, yet fun and unique sandstone ride. Or whatever you think you're up for.. Then, more top quality rehydration and re-nutrition. Repeat as necessary...

That's it for the arm twisting.

Everyone riding,

I wish I could join in on the suffering. Seriously.. Don't worry about water, don't think about all the mtn lions and bears on the Uncompahgre, don't worry about where you're going on the way up to Pinto Mesa... Definitely don't worry about that 'No Mas' climb! Enjoy it out there, it's fun,

FW

Topic Name: Grand Loop 2009 Reply #84 on: May 27, 2009, 05:49:35 AM
DaveH

View Profile
« Reply #84 on: May 27, 2009, 05:49:35 AM »

So if we do the new ST section we get to turn "left" at the Houser, Divide intersection??

That's not my understanding - that would cut off the Tab singletrack.  Just turn left at the first encounter of "the" powerlines, rather than turning left onto the power lines from the transfer road.

Here's a graphic.  Red is old route, magenta is new route.  The shortcut removes ~ 1 mile.

Topic Name: Grand Loop 2009 Reply #85 on: May 27, 2009, 07:00:03 AM
MikeC

View Profile WWW
« Reply #85 on: May 27, 2009, 07:00:03 AM »

Scottillion and Chadlicious rolled outta here at 7 sharp, aimed generally in a Grand Loop reverse direction.

They each did the usual pre-race stuff last night: discovered and fixed (most of the) last minute pending catastrophes on their bikes, scrutinized maps (sometimes even the *right* maps...), went REIing for last minute essentials, ditched important gear, repacked it minutes later, then ditched it again.

When they rolled out there was a distinctive creaking sound coming from somewhere behind C-licious.  Further investigation revealed the noise was his pack, screaming out in agony at the load.  He could NOT physically close the zipper for all of the food that was wedged in there...!

And then they were off...

The last several days of rain will, IMO, make for some of the faster conditions seen yet in this event.  Record breaking conditions?  Yes, for a select few with the right mindset, good prep, and some luck...

SPOT points (for Chad) are already showing up on the TF Tracker.  None for Scott though... Hmmm...  Could this be a deliberate error, intended to keep DH on tenterhooks for the next few days?!?!

One way to find out...

MC

Topic Name: Grand Loop 2009 Reply #86 on: May 27, 2009, 08:13:14 AM
MikeC

View Profile WWW
« Reply #86 on: May 27, 2009, 08:13:14 AM »

SPOT points (for Chad) are already showing up on the TF Tracker.  None for Scott though... Hmmm...  Could this be a deliberate error, intended to keep DH on tenterhooks for the next few days?!?!

I had to know, so I intercepted them as they hit Little Park Road.  Chad hadn't run out of food yet, but he *had* discovered the bell on his handlebars and was dinging it as he rolled along behind Scott.  Whether he was using it as a bear deterrent or Scott annoyant is unclear at this point.

I mentioned Scott's lack of track points and he immediately began fiddling with the tracker on his handlebars.  Looks like a point showed up shortly thereafter...

Beautiful morning for a ride.

MC

Topic Name: Grand Loop 2009 Reply #87 on: May 27, 2009, 08:32:43 AM
dkirk

View Profile
« Reply #87 on: May 27, 2009, 08:32:43 AM »

What a beautiful morning! Ahh.... almost makes me want to jump in my car and join in the fun.......almost
Thanks for the update MC

Topic Name: Grand Loop 2009 Reply #88 on: May 27, 2009, 08:40:16 AM
Stefan_G

View Profile WWW
« Reply #88 on: May 27, 2009, 08:40:16 AM »

Looks absolutely beautiful out there.  I'm so jealous of the forecast for the next week too!  High's in the low 80s will make for some nice desert riding...

“The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not.”

Topic Name: Grand Loop 2009 Reply #89 on: May 27, 2009, 10:22:57 AM
Marshal

View Profile WWW
« Reply #89 on: May 27, 2009, 10:22:57 AM »

That's not my understanding - that would cut off the Tab singletrack.  Just turn left at the first encounter of "the" powerlines, rather than turning left onto the power lines from the transfer road.

Here's a graphic.  Red is old route, magenta is new route.  The shortcut removes ~ 1 mile.

Ok, this looks more like what I was thinking......thanks

Topic Name: Grand Loop 2009 Reply #90 on: May 27, 2009, 10:24:32 AM
Marshal

View Profile WWW
« Reply #90 on: May 27, 2009, 10:24:32 AM »

Birthday Ride!! hello2

Well, I will be hopping in the van and driving about 5 hrs to Fruita in the next hr or so.  Do my last min pack & sort, hit the sack, and will be leaving early on Thursday May 28th (my 53rd).  Plan to shade up for a couple of hrs along the Colorado River if I get hot on the 1st day.  Will be doing the ‘traditional’ Bedrock route.  Spot will be in track mode…….cant hardly wait…

Good luck to everone else out there & say 'hi' when you go by...........
« Last Edit: May 27, 2009, 10:39:32 AM by trail717 » Logged

Topic Name: Grand Loop 2009 Reply #91 on: May 27, 2009, 03:53:44 PM
dkirk

View Profile
« Reply #91 on: May 27, 2009, 03:53:44 PM »

Happy birthday Marshall. Have a great ride tomorrow.
By the looks of it Chad and Scott seemed to have gotten through the sand traps around cactus park and the Dominguez without any problems. Hope it holds for you.
Later,
Dave K

Topic Name: Grand Loop 2009 Reply #92 on: May 27, 2009, 04:57:22 PM
DaveH

View Profile
« Reply #92 on: May 27, 2009, 04:57:22 PM »

OK then.  It seems we have more of a concurrent ITT than a race this year.  So in keeping with the theme I'm changing my start time and location:  sometime before sunrise from WW on Friday, traditional route (bedrock) and will probably stick to the trad route all the way rather than skip the power line section up high.

How many times did I hear MC say "the course is the course is the course" back in '06/'07?  Right now it goes against the grain to change that last 5 miles, we'll see how that changes up at the powerlines Wink 

No Koski traverse this year.  Like Scott I just don't have my head around it yet...it doesn't really draw?  I'll do walking aplenty on the SS as it is.

Goal #1 is to finish the beast on a SS.  Goal #2 is to do it faster than the last time.  Luck is needed for both, planetary alignment for the later.

Sorry, no spot.  Where would I put it?  Cockpit is already crowded!

Topic Name: Grand Loop 2009 Reply #93 on: May 27, 2009, 05:03:46 PM
MikeC

View Profile WWW
« Reply #93 on: May 27, 2009, 05:03:46 PM »

Looks like the boys took a ~2 hour break in the shade at the Dominguez Canyon crossing.  So far the day has been *very* quiet WRT rain/thunderstorm activity.  First time in a week we've had none of either.  So a cool, calm, windless day for them so far, then a little dinner break and they're back underway.  

I overheard some of their philosophizing/strategizing the last few days, but am not sure what they ultimately decided on, nor even if they'll stay together throughout.  

Wondering if they'll be able to push on through Roubideau in the wee hours and do the long drop to Tab Creek by breakfast?  Anyone think they can make it to Bedrock for lunch tomorrow?

Anyone think they'll get slowed by snow on the S Tab?

MC

P.S. Just saw DH's post and pic.  What the heck Dave--no remote lock out for the rear end?!

Topic Name: Grand Loop 2009 Reply #94 on: May 27, 2009, 05:04:06 PM
Marshal

View Profile WWW
« Reply #94 on: May 27, 2009, 05:04:06 PM »

Dave,

Say Hi on Friday

Good Luck on 1 & 2

Marshal

Topic Name: Grand Loop 2009 Reply #95 on: May 27, 2009, 07:39:48 PM
wookieone

View Profile WWW
« Reply #95 on: May 27, 2009, 07:39:48 PM »

So is anyone showing up Friday at 6:Pm??? I am going anyways but just curious if anyone else is gonna be there? I am still trying to figure out the Spot, any one have any ideas??? Also what do folks think of the new singletrack finish? I am up for it, if I can remember at that point, too many changes going on last minute!!! Roll with it right? Ok keep in touch y'all. Jefe

the impossible just hurts more...
pedaling is my prozac...

https://jwookieone.com/colorado-trail-race/9667-2/

Topic Name: Grand Loop 2009 Reply #96 on: May 27, 2009, 07:42:03 PM
Stefan_G

View Profile WWW
« Reply #96 on: May 27, 2009, 07:42:03 PM »

Looks like Max and Josh might've had enough hike-a-bike from the Koski Traverse.  They refueled in Nucla, and skipped the "funnest" part of the Paradox trail!  I must not have impressed upon him how beautiful the Glencoe Bench area is, cuz I figured for sure he'd have turned towards Pinto Mesa to ride that...

So cool to see all the SPOTs moving out there in almost real time.  I'm gonna miss seeing yours out there, Dave, so you'll have to make up for it with another killer trip report!  :-)

I have to admit, I am kind of bummed though to see the race between Scott, Jefe, Chris, Kurt, Dave, Koski and ... just sort of fizzle out.  That woulda been a blast to watch, and I will selfishly say that, having ridden that route, I'd have enjoyed watching it more than anyone else!

Topic Name: Grand Loop 2009 Reply #97 on: May 27, 2009, 07:43:13 PM
Pivvay

Riding and exploring

View Profile WWW
« Reply #97 on: May 27, 2009, 07:43:13 PM »

hey Jefe,

If you can't figure out the SPOT, give me a call and I'll give you the rundown of the simple method I use. 303-466-1812

Chris

-Chris Plesko

Topic Name: Grand Loop 2009 Reply #98 on: May 27, 2009, 07:45:26 PM
Pivvay

Riding and exploring

View Profile WWW
« Reply #98 on: May 27, 2009, 07:45:26 PM »

I have to admit, I am kind of bummed though to see the race between Scott, Jefe, Chris, Kurt, Dave, Koski and ... just sort of fizzle out.  That woulda been a blast to watch, and I will selfishly say that, having ridden that route, I'd have enjoyed watching it more than anyone else!

Perhaps next year?

-Chris Plesko

Topic Name: Grand Loop 2009 Reply #99 on: May 28, 2009, 10:45:25 AM
dkirk

View Profile
« Reply #99 on: May 28, 2009, 10:45:25 AM »

It looks as if snow is not a factor this year around Antone springs. Chad is flying through that area!
Have fun out there Jefe.
Dave K
  Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 14
Reply New Topic New Poll
Jump to: