Pages: [1]
Reply Reply New Topic New Poll
  Topic Name: Flagstaff to Grand Canyon Stagecoach Line 100 on: July 09, 2019, 05:44:56 PM
Dana Ernst

View Profile WWW
« on: July 09, 2019, 05:44:56 PM »

While not a bikepacking race, some of you might be interested in this event.

The 7th annual Flagstaff to Grand Canyon Stagecoach Line 100 Mile, 55K and Relays takes place just north of the Flagstaff, AZ and, runs the Arizona Trail to the Grand Canyon. New for 2019, we've added a 100-mile mountain bike option to our race line up on September 21st!

Entry fee covers 3 aid stations, copper buckle for finishers, event t-shirt, shuttle back to Flagstaff if needed. Event is fundraiser for Arizona Trail Association.

This mountain bike event begins a few miles north of Flagstaff, Arizona, near the intersection of Snowbowl Road and Route 180, and finishes in Tusayan, Arizona, the entrance of Grand Canyon National Park. A majority of the Stagecoach course follows the Arizona Trail and the historic Flagstaff to Grand Canyon Stagecoach Line route used by adventure seeking tourists between 1897 and 1901. Many of today’s race-day aid stations are located at the original stage line rest stops and watering holes.

Course terrain varies between single-track, two-track, and maintained forest dirt roads. Bikers pass from heavily vegetated ponderosa pine and alpine aspen forests to sparsely vegetated pinion-juniper grasslands and back again. The 100-mile course starts near 7,300’, reaches a maximum elevation of 8,800’ (at Aspen Corner, mile 6), finishes at 6,600’ (Tusayan), and has approximately 7,000’ of climbing.

Bikers traverse over a shoulder of Arizona’s highest mountain, Humphrey’s Peak, through the high alpine meadows, across 422-square mile Babbitt Ranches, and along the Coconino Rim where views of the Grand Canyon, Painted Desert and Navajo Mountain await.

Flagstaff is situated along the western flank of the largest contiguous ponderosa pine forest in the continental United States. The geologic centerpiece of Flagstaff is the San Francisco Peaks, home to Humphreys Peak (12,633 feet), the highest point in Arizona. The Peaks have religious significance to several Native American tribes. In particular, the Peaks form the Diné (Navajo) sacred mountain of the west, called Dook’o’oosłííd, which means “the summit that never melts”. The Hopi name for the Peaks is Nuva’tukya’ovi, which translates to “place-of-snow-on-the-very-top”. Flagstaff’s climate and terrain coupled with easy access to vast networks of trails, make it one of the best mountain biking towns in the country.

Registration is now open:

http://ultrasignup.com/register.aspx?did=62880

For more details on logistics, the course, etc please visit our webpage to find maps and race manuals:

https://runazt.org/flagstaff-to-grand-canyon-stagecoach-line-100/

Route on Strava:

https://www.strava.com/routes/20149675

Route on Trailforks:

https://www.trailforks.com/event/4176/

Topic Name: Flagstaff to Grand Canyon Stagecoach Line 100 Reply #1 on: July 10, 2019, 10:16:19 AM
AZTtripper

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2019, 10:16:19 AM »

Dana maybe you can help me with some knowledge of the Coconino rim area. I will be driving support for a father son team riding from Moqui TH to Grandview then the south rim. Do you know if a Subaru forester might drive FR 301and 311 directly from Moqui to Grandview? I can always go back to the highway and even though the park but if the roads are what I expect hoping to drive direct.

Thanks Tim

Topic Name: Flagstaff to Grand Canyon Stagecoach Line 100 Reply #2 on: July 12, 2019, 09:10:25 AM
Dana Ernst

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2019, 09:10:25 AM »

Tim, since I've never driven those roads, I'm not sure.  But I will ask around and see what I can find out.

Topic Name: Flagstaff to Grand Canyon Stagecoach Line 100 Reply #3 on: July 12, 2019, 11:07:35 AM
AZTtripper

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2019, 11:07:35 AM »

Thanks,  we'll be doing trail work on Saturday at Babbitt ranch so maybe someone there will know.

Topic Name: Flagstaff to Grand Canyon Stagecoach Line 100 Reply #4 on: July 12, 2019, 11:29:29 AM
Dana Ernst

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2019, 11:29:29 AM »

From Ian Torrence:

Yes, that vehicle will be fine on those roads on that route.  However, if there is a lot of rain right before or during their trek that will significantly negatively affect that drive. The mud out there is awful—especially on the 301 road (that's the worst of them all).  However, if it's dry, it'll be bouncy but easy drive.

Topic Name: Flagstaff to Grand Canyon Stagecoach Line 100 Reply #5 on: July 12, 2019, 12:03:15 PM
AZTtripper

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2019, 12:03:15 PM »

Awesome thanks for the info, kind of what I thought.
  Pages: [1]
Reply New Topic New Poll
Jump to: