Pages: [1]
Reply Reply New Topic New Poll
  Topic Name: Eric Fishbein's death during the Transam on: June 21, 2017, 09:28:24 PM
the tortoise

View Profile
« on: June 21, 2017, 09:28:24 PM »

Just heard about this, and read a story about it along with the numerous comments that followed the story. Blame went from the driver to the cyclists to the "organizer" to the weather to the darkness. Following is my comment to this tragic ending.

"I have done my fair share of endurance bikepack events and fatigue is definitely a factor. I choose off road events but all of them include some paved sections and dirt sections shared with vehicles. I would not do a strictly road endurance event because of cars and distracted drivers and impaired drivers.

Will these events live on? Yes. Will there be more deaths? Yes. As long as the riders understand the risks and take precautions to minimize them then that is that. We are all going to pass someday. Do you want to do it on your bike or clutching your chest at a McDonalds?

Is multi day endurance racing with sleep deprivation and pushing your body to the limits healthy? Absolutely not! Should it be banned? No. Extreme sports take their toll.

This race and most like it are not professional events, sanctioned events and money does not change hands. It is a challenge with very loose organization.
I am sure if you asked Mike Hall if he ever had any close calls the answer would be "countless" I heard that during his Tour Divide record run that he forgot whole days! But he did what he loved and died doing what he loved.

It has been suggested that these events adopt a policy of at least 8 hours per day off the bike. Perhaps a good idea.

You can point fingers all you want and blame whoever you want but life and death goes on. I am more concerned about sending our young men off to needless wars to be killed and maimed for what?"

Rest in peace Eric!

Topic Name: Eric Fishbein's death during the Transam Reply #1 on: June 22, 2017, 10:05:04 AM
MikeC

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2017, 10:05:04 AM »

"Died doing what he loved" is no solace at all.

Topic Name: Eric Fishbein's death during the Transam Reply #2 on: June 23, 2017, 03:16:21 PM
GregMay

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2017, 03:16:21 PM »

Agreed.

Greg

Rides bikes, pulls skids...badly.
~
HTR 2013
TDR '16
Baby '17
TDR '18

Topic Name: Eric Fishbein's death during the Transam Reply #3 on: June 25, 2017, 09:30:16 AM
the tortoise

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2017, 09:30:16 AM »

I apologize if people think that I meant to marginalize their passing.
  Pages: [1]
Reply New Topic New Poll
Jump to: