Pages: [1] 2 3 4
Reply Reply New Topic New Poll
  Topic Name: Dixie 200 updates, post Brian Head fire on: September 17, 2018, 01:13:00 PM
DaveH

View Profile
« on: September 17, 2018, 01:13:00 PM »

Update: the event has been renamed Bristlecone 200, event details are at http://2-epic.com/the-bristlecone-200/

The Brian Head fire last summer scuttled the Dixie 200, and early this year most of the Brian Head section of the route was closed. I'm happy to say after spending a couple days on the Paunsaugunt and Brian Head areas, trail crews have been busy and we have a lot to work with. Let the Dixie spring through the ashes!

There are a lot of changes in store. If you've done the Dixie before you'll need a new game plan.

First off, I'll ride the route Sat-Sun (mon?) Sept 22-23/4. That's this weekend at the time of this writing. You're welcome to join the fun, just be aware the route is not dialed/finalized, and although I've covered at least 95% of the new route, there are some unknowns. Consider it a last minute exploratory ITT.

Changes to the BH area:
- Dark Hollow still closed. It will be rebuilt, probably finished late next summer. It will eventually extend all the way to Parowan, giving a 5,000' descent!
- Bunker creek (right fork) was rebuilt. It's a bermed flow trail in spots, old school singletrack in others, kick ass in every way.
- Sydney Peaks trail is updated with switchbacks built in the steepest sections. 100% rideable even loaded.
- Spruces was in the brunt of the fire and nobody talks about it...I think it is a goner. I can hear the sobs...
- Louder Ponds has been cut out and flows nicely.

The new route is clockwise, and there are several modifications.
Added:
- Bunker downhill. 3 mi trail + 10 mile dirt road to Panguitch lake. Trail is being built all the way to Panguitch lake, this will become the route when ready.
- Panguitch lake to Panguitch. Panguitch becomes a primary resupply on route.
- A bit of the Fremont ATV trail on the Sevier Plateau
- Hancock, Cassidy trails. This is a super tasty trail addition!
- More GrandView. This section is gonna be tough. Consider it a Spruces replacement Wink

From Tropic Res the course will be similar as before - but in reverse. This makes for some interesting differences. Some sweet descents added, some tough climbs added...it finishes down 2nd Left Hand. Dark Hollow will become the route when GTG.

The changes will probably add some distance and certainly add variety, making use of new trails ready now and well positioned to add new trails as they become ready.

Post up here (or PM me) if interested in the ride this weekend. I'll report back after the ride and finalize the route and date for next year.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2021, 03:22:14 PM by DaveH » Logged

Topic Name: Dixie 200 updates, post Brian Head fire Reply #1 on: September 17, 2018, 09:20:26 PM
tRoy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2018, 09:20:26 PM »

headbang headbang icon_biggrin icon_biggrin thumbsup thumbsup

Topic Name: Dixie 200 updates, post Brian Head fire Reply #2 on: September 18, 2018, 10:12:10 AM
evdog

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2018, 10:12:10 AM »

Sounds awesome Dave, looking forward to a trip report from your ride!

Are you going to send riders up Thunder Mtn, or planning to use Grandview to bypass it there? 

I looped Thunder --> Grandview a few years ago, there was some great and some tough riding in there.  http://www.bikepacking.net/forum/bikepacking/trip-report-grandview-trail-on-utah's-paunsaugunt-plateau/

Dixie is still one of my favorite bikepack routes I've done so it'll be nice to have it back.  Thanks for all the work you're putting in on it!

Topic Name: Dixie 200 updates, post Brian Head fire Reply #3 on: September 18, 2018, 03:21:57 PM
DaveH

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2018, 03:21:57 PM »

Are you going to send riders up Thunder Mtn, or planning to use Grandview to bypass it there?  

Neither! The GPX will reveal all, but essentially it will go up to the Sevier NE of Panguitch and enter Red Canyon via Fremont->Hancock->Cassidy. From there it's a short stint up the bikepath to the top of Thunder. The route will descend Thunder Mtn, there is no other way to ride it Wink Instead of going back to Red Canyon and out the highway it will go S on GrandView (course orientation is reversed).
« Last Edit: September 18, 2018, 05:41:18 PM by DaveH » Logged

Topic Name: Dixie 200 updates, post Brian Head fire Reply #4 on: September 18, 2018, 04:25:00 PM
Paul

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2018, 04:25:00 PM »

Anxiously waiting to see the route/gpx - can't wait to check it out and start planning for 2019!

Topic Name: Dixie 200 updates, post Brian Head fire Reply #5 on: September 20, 2018, 09:52:18 PM
ihousman

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2018, 09:52:18 PM »

Sounds awesome! Such a bummer about Spruce trail;) Just need a date and I'm in!

Topic Name: Dixie 200 updates, post Brian Head fire Reply #6 on: September 26, 2018, 01:28:55 PM
DaveH

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2018, 01:28:55 PM »

Update: event website is http://2-epic.com/the-dixie-200/

Wow, that scouting mission was real adventure. I'm worked!

Most everything on the Markagunt was in super shape. Even the Marathon trail was easier to follow/find than I recall. Must have been the reversed direction making the trail more clear, there really is trail through those meadows.

Panguitch Lake to Panguitch is an interesting route. Higher than the previous route, scenic, and quite the descent into Panguitch! Big views of the Seviers and Paunsaugunt tease for half a day before getting there.

Climbing into the Seviers, then Hancock/Cassiday are awesome. Great adds!!

Grandview addition south of Thunder to Proctor canyon is great until the last 3 miles or so, after which you'll experience HAB both up and down. Some interesting routing on this section. Another good add.

Now it gets interesting. Proctor canyon  climb, down to Tropic res and on to Crawford pass is fine...about 4ish hours. This is to arrive at the Crawford Pass trail. This has been my favorite part of the route in years past. I'm saddened to say this trail has been absolutely reamed by monsoon runoff. The drainages crossing the trail under Pink Cliffs are treacherous, sometimes 20' deep, and there are a lot of them. Smaller riders very well could find themselves unable to cross some of the ravines. Super challenging to huck a loaded bike through there, pucker factor was high.

Next up, a short bit of road near the Pink Cliffs overlook spur, then to the junction of Pauns ATV trail and Mill Creek trail. The old route came down that ATV trail and I had planned to go up it, but it was all HAB, steep, rubbly, and trenched so you couldn't get out of the way if traffic was coming down. So I went down Mill instead, knowing the section of Grandview I was heading into was tough, slow going...the Grandview has suffered much the same fate as Crawford pass trail. Deep drainage crossings, plus lots of overgrowth.  The final straw was just after the water canyon spring where the trail ascends to Robinson trailhead. The trail was either obliterated, turned into a 10' deep arroyo, or unrideable sand. A 5 mile HAB at this point is a non-starter. The 10k calories I left Panguitch with were nearly gone! So I punted on that climb out, and bailed down from the spring. That "road" was all but gone as well, hard to tell what was roadbed and what was a creekbed. The only way out was crossing a locked gate to a mine, ugh......

Needless to say the southern end of the Paunsaugunt is OUT. I can't in good faith include those sections to the new route, they have just deteriorated too much. It took me 5.5 hours to cover about 17 miles. This is beyond the level of difficulty and risk of the initial Dixie 200.

So, we make a trade. More Sevier plateau, less of the Paunsaugunt. The added sections of Grandview, Cassidy, Fremont, Bunker creek, Hancock are all unique. Some challenging, some eye popping, some ripping fun...

Some links for you to peruse.

Strava - note my gps did not capture from Red Canyon to Tropic Res. For the route files linked below I spliced in data from previous rides. https://www.strava.com/activities/1863863843

New route details - start and finish at Deer Haven campground, the Western terminus of the VRRT. Loop around Navajo Lake, then head up the Marathon. Course finishes on the full length of VRRT E to W. https://www.gaiagps.com/datasummary/track/1ddd50a1-139b-4202-b59d-2d9059befc53/?publickey=2sz7hLyYeITdZzq3MXUvYcC3&layer=natgeo

Or, if you like ride with gps: https://ridewithgps.com/routes/28677561

Pictures to go along with a map! https://www.gaiagps.com/datasummary/track/1ddd50a1-139b-4202-b59d-2d9059befc53/?publickey=2sz7hLyYeITdZzq3MXUvYcC3&layer=natgeo&slideshow=true

Compare the new route with the old route to see changes. Eyeballing this map it looks like roughly 40% of the route is new! : https://www.gaiagps.com/datasummary/folder/8e9e0efe-9bd3-4dc6-a1e6-243954e10fdf/?layer=natgeo

Lots of new stuff and I think level of effort remains on par with the old route. Doing this ride in the late summer/early fall is brilliant, the colors, no deadfall, cool temps made for perfect conditions. Now to figure out a date for next year...
« Last Edit: August 13, 2019, 04:38:53 PM by DaveH » Logged

Topic Name: Dixie 200 updates, post Brian Head fire Reply #7 on: September 29, 2018, 03:02:45 PM
ec_duz_it

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2018, 03:02:45 PM »

Following headbang

Topic Name: Dixie 200 updates, post Brian Head fire Reply #8 on: October 03, 2018, 11:31:09 AM
evdog

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2018, 11:31:09 AM »

Bummer about the storm damage.  It was pretty bad the first year I rode Grandview, beyond where the prior Dixie route turned off it.  Hopefully the FS will do some work to fix it and Crawford.  That damage will make it impassible for equestrians too.

Can't wait to check out the new route!  Thanks for staying on it.  It will be killer once the remaining trails re-open.

Topic Name: Dixie 200 updates, post Brian Head fire Reply #9 on: October 18, 2018, 10:41:17 AM
wolfmansbro

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2018, 10:41:17 AM »

Sounds like an exciting new adventure thumbsup

Topic Name: Dixie 200 updates, post Brian Head fire Reply #10 on: November 28, 2018, 11:35:16 AM
Woodland

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: November 28, 2018, 11:35:16 AM »

Impressive dedication to the route Dave. I loved riding it in '15. I'll keep tuning in to see what you decide for next year.

Topic Name: Dixie 200 updates, post Brian Head fire Reply #11 on: November 29, 2018, 03:41:25 PM
schillingsworth

DFL>DNF>DNS

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: November 29, 2018, 03:41:25 PM »

So glad to hear this!! The Dixie 200 has long been on my list, but had never pulled it off. Thanks for the recon and re-routing. Can't wait to put tires to it.

http://schillingsworth.blogspot.com/
I ride the crappy trails so you don't have to.

Ultra Endurance Profile Posters & More...:
Posters, T-Shirts, etc

Topic Name: Dixie 200 updates, post Brian Head fire Reply #12 on: December 18, 2018, 12:35:34 AM
evdog

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 18, 2018, 12:35:34 AM »

- Spruces was in the brunt of the fire and nobody talks about it...I think it is a goner. I can hear the sobs...
So...interesting find on Instagram today while randomly perusing the #trailwork hashtag during a conference call at work. 

https://www.instagram.com/p/Bl-3pbkHL2h/

"After 25 days of camping at 10,000ft up, we rebuilt this 14 miles Spruce Trail that got burned down last year in a wildfire, we've managed to saw out the whole trail and tread over 10 miles of it!"

Sounds like Spruce Trail lives on! 

Topic Name: Dixie 200 updates, post Brian Head fire Reply #13 on: December 18, 2018, 06:30:39 AM
DaveH

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 18, 2018, 06:30:39 AM »

Wow, I had no idea! Talking with a Brian Head local about what trails were being repaired, planned, upgraded - he knew nothing about Spruce trail. There are some sections that were really scenic and fun North of the section the Dixie 200 used. The view from Horse Valley peak is especially rad, as is the descent off of it. I'll take a look once snow clears, but I'm not sure it will go back in to the 200. It will remain for the 311 though, just for the true gluttons out there Wink

Topic Name: Dixie 200 updates, post Brian Head fire Reply #14 on: January 06, 2019, 08:12:58 PM
jthops

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 06, 2019, 08:12:58 PM »

Dave, any idea on a date?

Topic Name: Dixie 200 updates, post Brian Head fire Reply #15 on: January 07, 2019, 03:00:28 PM
DaveH

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 07, 2019, 03:00:28 PM »

Dave, any idea on a date?

I propose a start date of Aug 24 and welcome any feedback on the date choice.

I will be out of town in September on a Grand Canyon river trip otherwise I'd go with mid Sep.

Topic Name: Dixie 200 updates, post Brian Head fire Reply #16 on: January 07, 2019, 03:17:20 PM
jthops

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 07, 2019, 03:17:20 PM »

That works perfectly. I'm in!

Topic Name: Dixie 200 updates, post Brian Head fire Reply #17 on: January 08, 2019, 06:23:45 AM
ec_duz_it

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: January 08, 2019, 06:23:45 AM »

Hi Dave, I thought you mentioned late September? I was planning for that.  Isn’t that when the fall foliage colors are peaking?

Topic Name: Dixie 200 updates, post Brian Head fire Reply #18 on: January 08, 2019, 06:56:27 AM
DaveH

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 08, 2019, 06:56:27 AM »

Hi Dave, I thought you mentioned late September? I was planning for that.  Isn’t that when the fall foliage colors are peaking?

Yes, that's when I did it last fall. It was perfect timing (last year), however I will be out of town all of September so can't do this year in September. Aug 24 is the last weekend I have available. Of course you can do it any time.

Late September is a risky date, FYI. Most years weather moves through in the window of Sep 7 to Sep 20 and nighttime temps drop well below freezing. Last year it came the day after I finished, perfect timing. I have been caught on VRRT in bad fall weather and it wasn't pretty. Wet snow makes it unrideable. In future years I expect to set a date of the weekend after Labor day weekend.

Topic Name: Dixie 200 updates, post Brian Head fire Reply #19 on: May 31, 2019, 04:23:27 PM
geofflane

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 31, 2019, 04:23:27 PM »

Just checking to see if new Dixie 200 is still going launch on Saturday, August 24th, 2019... If so, let me know what time and where. Thanks.
  Pages: [1] 2 3 4
Reply New Topic New Poll
Jump to: