Pages: [1] 2
Reply Reply New Topic New Poll
  Topic Name: Divide Withdrawals or DA "divide Anonymous " on: July 02, 2013, 08:55:49 PM
Slowerthensnot

Have fun and go far

View Profile WWW
« on: July 02, 2013, 08:55:49 PM »

I've really found myself wishing i was out there.... and yearning for adventure, like in quit job and hop a bus to banff... anybody else?

Topic Name: Divide Withdrawals or DA "divide Anonymous " Reply #1 on: July 03, 2013, 07:07:22 AM
mdulieu

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2013, 07:07:22 AM »

Yes!

Topic Name: Divide Withdrawals or DA "divide Anonymous " Reply #2 on: July 04, 2013, 09:34:32 AM
jehsohn

Woof!

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2013, 09:34:32 AM »

My feelings exactly! I have a friend out there just riding the route. He called me last night and let me know about all of the fun he is having while I'm fixing tourists bicycles on Independence day. AARRRGHHH!! BangHead

Topic Name: Divide Withdrawals or DA "divide Anonymous " Reply #3 on: July 07, 2013, 07:01:31 PM
THE LONG RANGER

Hi-Ho, Single-Speed, AWAY!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2013, 07:01:31 PM »

Usually, I do, and I totally tried to stay out of the TD discussion as it pains me to hear about all those wonderful places, BUT I live in Colorado! There's adventures out there to be had! Even if you only have two days. And it's wonderful to be able to pick your own route. Or, "quit" on a shortday. And I def. do not feel bad about my body not being totally and utterly destroyed.

I'll probably be out "there" in some sort of fashion against the clock, soon. Looking forward to it!

Topic Name: Divide Withdrawals or DA "divide Anonymous " Reply #4 on: July 11, 2013, 10:00:32 AM
gotchile

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2013, 10:00:32 AM »

Definitely would like to be out there riding the divide.  I love this time of year listening to all the calls on MTBCAST, thanks to Joe.  At age 58 I need to be doing it if I'm going to. 

http://www.bucketride.bike
#TD15
Pain is temporary, quitting is forever

Topic Name: Divide Withdrawals or DA "divide Anonymous " Reply #5 on: July 16, 2013, 08:58:14 PM
AZtrailertrash

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2013, 08:58:14 PM »

I would love to be out there, not racing it, but doing a supported tour of the best parts.... 40 to 50 miles a day would be lovely without the abuse and risk of falling apart physically. More a stop and smell the flowers tour, not race. Being old and slow has it's limits. But I for sure would build a  hard tail, most likely geared 3 x 9 29'er.

Topic Name: Divide Withdrawals or DA "divide Anonymous " Reply #6 on: July 17, 2013, 12:12:52 PM
Foster

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2013, 12:12:52 PM »

A day on the divide, no matter how terrible is always better than a day at work.  Yes I miss the divide and I can't wait to do it again.  Its difficult coming back to reality...except that I'm leaving reality once again on my way to Durango for the CTR right now! 

Go big or stay home

Topic Name: Divide Withdrawals or DA "divide Anonymous " Reply #7 on: August 04, 2013, 10:05:05 AM
AZtrailertrash

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2013, 10:05:05 AM »

A day on the divide, no matter how terrible is always better than a day at work.  Yes I miss the divide and I can't wait to do it again.  Its difficult coming back to reality...except that I'm leaving reality once again on my way to Durango for the CTR right now! 

Foster, how did that go for you, the CTR?

Topic Name: Divide Withdrawals or DA "divide Anonymous " Reply #8 on: August 04, 2013, 03:36:01 PM
Foster

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2013, 03:36:01 PM »

CTR went really well for me.  It was easy mentally, I was in the mode just coming off the TD you know?

Go big or stay home

Topic Name: Divide Withdrawals or DA "divide Anonymous " Reply #9 on: August 18, 2013, 02:23:50 PM
sthig

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2013, 02:23:50 PM »

I made sure to soak up every minute of the Divide during the good, the bad and the ugly.  But I have to admit, I'm fulfilled and happy.   I think fondly of the Divide, but I'm very satisfied with doing it once Smiley

My book on the 2013 Tour Divide|http://www.amazon.com/Trail-Magic-Art-Soft-Pedaling-ebook/dp/B00NJQZ6GK

Topic Name: Divide Withdrawals or DA "divide Anonymous " Reply #10 on: August 31, 2013, 02:07:09 PM
wunnspeed

SpoK Werks - Handmade Cycling Goods

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: August 31, 2013, 02:07:09 PM »

I'm looking at taking another run at the TDR... Probably in '15 or '16 which will make me either 53 or 54. I think I can pretty easily knock off 5-6 days if not more as I know so much more about the course and bikepacking now (the TDR last year was my first bikepacking trip). Since I finished, that's done... I just want to do a lot faster. Luckily, I've got other bikepacking challenges to fill the adventure bug till then.

Michael Cleveland - SpoK Werks bikepacking gear
SpoK Werks Etsy
SpoK Werks FB
Big Wheel Racing Europe

Topic Name: Divide Withdrawals or DA "divide Anonymous " Reply #11 on: September 05, 2013, 09:41:06 PM
Norb

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: September 05, 2013, 09:41:06 PM »

The desire of a repeat has come and gone several times since I did the TD in '11.  The rhythm and flow of the never ending days, the solitude and loneliness, plus the sheer beat-down over several weeks - this race is truly a cruel mistress, but I love it to death!!  Or until death...

I can't imagine NOT taking another run at this beast.  It's really just a matter of when.

“The shortest distance between two points is often unbearable.”
― Charles Bukowski

Topic Name: Divide Withdrawals or DA "divide Anonymous " Reply #12 on: September 18, 2013, 04:45:44 PM
ETURK

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 18, 2013, 04:45:44 PM »

I am having a strange withdraw from doing it this year (2013). I can't seem to figure out what to do next. I live in Colorado and as already said above, there is plenty of great riding here. But I am not exactly satisfied. Maybe the AZT through the Grand Cannon just to say I carried my bike through it, sounds cool and a bit more adventurous? Still, I just can't decided anymore. Perhaps the withdraw has me leaning to doing the TD again, but I'd rather pick up on another adventure. CTR, check. 24 hour races, check. Maybe overseas bikepacking? Would love to find a 24 hour fat bike around a small island along the equator, but no one has this! Ideas?

Topic Name: Divide Withdrawals or DA "divide Anonymous " Reply #13 on: September 22, 2013, 07:23:01 AM
drews256

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 22, 2013, 07:23:01 AM »

Eturk I have the next big thing...

transambikerace.com

I'll pitch for gas if you can get Keith to drive the van back? On another note I am so...so...so ready to be back touring somewhere. I spent 5 hours on some unbelievable single track yesterday and all it made me do was miss riding day in and day out even more! The rain in Colorado is making the trails so nice right now, as long as the trails are still there. Plus after the TD I climb so hard. I waited for 15 minutes for two friends...15 minutes over 3/4 of a mile climb yesterday. I miss the race.

Topic Name: Divide Withdrawals or DA "divide Anonymous " Reply #14 on: October 09, 2013, 04:27:33 PM
joseph

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 09, 2013, 04:27:33 PM »

Im craving something like this again!! miss those simple days of just riding a bike

Topic Name: Divide Withdrawals or DA "divide Anonymous " Reply #15 on: May 29, 2018, 08:35:41 PM
HughieP

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 29, 2018, 08:35:41 PM »

It has been five years since those 21 life defining days back in 2013. Every year at this stage, I wish that I was heading to Banff about now. I miss the people, I miss the places, I miss the pain and joy and heartbreak and triumph of survival from each and every one of those few precious days. Actually, it was probably just mostly pain.

I was sent a quote that had me thinking of this thread and thought I would share.

‘Sometimes I feel a loss, in terms of the fact that few if any experiences I will ever have again can equal the intensity and importance of that one. You try to mine the precious elements of the experience, but they slip away from you, and that’s another loss. You try to appreciate this enormous gift you’ve been given but eventually you just get on with it.’

Steven Callahan (American author, naval architect, inventor and sailor, noted for having survived for 76 days adrift on the Atlantic Ocean in a liferaft.

Topic Name: Divide Withdrawals or DA "divide Anonymous " Reply #16 on: June 06, 2018, 05:01:50 AM
flyboy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: June 06, 2018, 05:01:50 AM »

Hughie, I hear you. I have suffered serious FOMO for the last three years but I can revisit those feelings to some extent through my unnecessarily detailed blog of my ride. This is the reason I have the blog, to detail the highs and lows so as to jog my fading memory, not for self promotion.......so please don’t read it..... bootyshake
I can’t wait to see those dots start rolling down the trail. I just hope there is an easy, all in one place to follow the action. Coverage seems to be getting splintered more and more with us dot watchers the losers.

Topic Name: Divide Withdrawals or DA "divide Anonymous " Reply #17 on: June 06, 2018, 11:34:26 PM
cloudrider

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 06, 2018, 11:34:26 PM »

hahaha!...... sentimental young men, enough to make a grown man cry.

Come up and play with the crocodiles and snakes in your own back yard...

Topic Name: Divide Withdrawals or DA "divide Anonymous " Reply #18 on: June 07, 2018, 12:41:31 PM
bikeny

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 07, 2018, 12:41:31 PM »

I have that feeling every year since I first read about John Stamstad riding the route!

Topic Name: Divide Withdrawals or DA "divide Anonymous " Reply #19 on: June 07, 2018, 06:10:18 PM
flyboy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: June 07, 2018, 06:10:18 PM »

Come up and play with the crocodiles and snakes in your own back yard...

After you, kind sir.....

Pages: [1] 2
Reply New Topic New Poll
Jump to: