Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 15
Reply Reply New Topic New Poll
  Topic Name: CTR 2015 Race Discussion Reply #80 on: July 27, 2015, 09:54:57 PM
wbcmaelstrom

View Profile
« Reply #80 on: July 27, 2015, 09:54:57 PM »

I want to hear the biker version vs just taking a disgruntled hikers word for it. Does not sound like a well trained dog which is the hikers responsibility before taking them out on the trail. and he or she makes it sound like all the bikers were pricks which is hard to believe.
I would think if there were more complaints then I would look more deeply into it.
But this is a reminder to share the trail and respect other users. 70 bikers spread out over many miles doesn't sound like a crowd to me.
Perhaps a staggered start and splitting the group into roughly halves for the two direction start points.
Sounds like typical hiker mentality to me.

Topic Name: CTR 2015 Race Discussion Reply #81 on: July 27, 2015, 11:21:33 PM
Erik

View Profile
« Reply #81 on: July 27, 2015, 11:21:33 PM »

I too would like to hear from the rider that had the encounter with the dog. I'd be willing to place money that dog wasn't leashed, was playful as hell and chased him down without him knowing for a while.

It's my understanding that dogs are to be leased on some sections of the trail, where others its ok for verbal commands. Doesn't sound like this hiker was doing either very well.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2015, 12:14:18 AM by Erik » Logged

Topic Name: CTR 2015 Race Discussion Reply #82 on: July 28, 2015, 02:55:21 AM
peteshoe

View Profile
« Reply #82 on: July 28, 2015, 02:55:21 AM »

Unfortunately I had to call my race yesterday. I tore/popped something in my knee Sunday AM. Tried to push through but rode back to Durango yesterday.  Thanks Stephan for a great event. My donation will be going out to the trail foundation this week.

As for hikers. At this point it's not what happened or who's fault,  its about the perception of our "sport" and this event.  Hopefully the rider does come forward and apologizes.  I saw 3 sets of hikers and I was somewhere in 20th place through Kennebec, two women' with headlights down low, and older fella coming off indian ridge, and a young women after Kennebec with two dogs on leash, I'm guessing this must be the person who lost her dog.   I yielded the trail and exchanged pleasantries, she didn't mention anything to me, but did seem frazzled.

continued luck to all the racers out there -

Pete

Topic Name: CTR 2015 Race Discussion Reply #83 on: July 28, 2015, 04:48:32 AM
tyno

View Profile
« Reply #83 on: July 28, 2015, 04:48:32 AM »

Wow! Virtually all the hikers I've come across SSSI far have been super friendly and happy to be sharing the trail with us. That could be the pace in setting on the uphills though :-/
I started on Sunday with a cold, and it turns out that the combination of that, altitude and forgetting to bring caffeine don't work so good... It's been an amazing experience so far, and even though I've been totally feeble as soon as they trail was going anything but down, I'm totally loving it. Hopefully I can shake this cold on the walk back up the hill out of Silverton.

Cheers
Tyno (that AH dot way out the back)

Topic Name: CTR 2015 Race Discussion Reply #84 on: July 28, 2015, 05:46:09 AM
joeydurango

View Profile WWW
« Reply #84 on: July 28, 2015, 05:46:09 AM »

According to a text I got from Kurt last night, it sounds like both he and Kaitlyn are out.  Don't know when the tracker will update.  For those who have been wondering about their SPOTs like I was...

Sorry to hear about your knee, Pete - I spent a couple months off the bike this spring after finishing the AZT 300 with knee issues.

As for the hiker/dog encounter, as I was implying above, there's certainly another side to the story.  But as Pete said, it's the perception that counts in a sport that's "underground" yet growing.  At the very least, there's no way the dog should have been chased down the trail.

Back to the race - I cannot believe how fast Jesse is moving.  He's even been sleeping some!  Nuts.  But the rest of the close field is also tearing it up, pace-wise; seems like after a relatively "slow" year last year (Neil aside), we've got a race on our hands.  Wonder where Schiff is...

BEDROCK BAGS - Hand crafted, rock solid, made in the USA.  Established 2012.
www.bedrockbags.com

Ever since I began riding singlespeed my life has been on a path of self-destruction.

Topic Name: CTR 2015 Race Discussion Reply #85 on: July 28, 2015, 06:29:49 AM
AZTtripper

View Profile
« Reply #85 on: July 28, 2015, 06:29:49 AM »

The lack of trail side courtesy here by a CTR rider is inexcusable and greatly saddens me. It does occur to me that in my pre-race shpeel at 3:55am I forgot to tell the racers to treat every single trail user encountered as if they were Gudy Gaskill. But I really shouldn't have to preach common courtesy... 

Whichever racer(s) had this encounter, please step forward! PM me and I will put you in touch for a personal apology.

Stefan, sorry to see this happen during your event. It also saddens me to see some of the replies. No matter the case for or against having a puppy on the trail it all goes south when the rider does not stop for the hiker from the very start. Unless the hiker has already left the trail and offered to yield riders should be preparing to stop.

Topic Name: CTR 2015 Race Discussion Reply #86 on: July 28, 2015, 06:42:36 AM
Woodland

View Profile WWW
« Reply #86 on: July 28, 2015, 06:42:36 AM »

70 bikers spread out over many miles doesn't sound like a crowd to me.

Classic. Hikers everywhere are gasping in shock at this comment. 70 bikers over many miles when you are hiking against the flow would be pretty hard going. Probably just bad timing for those backpackers that got caught in that mix.

The old trail-user-animosity flares up again. I get pissed at riders on my local trails when I go trail running - from what I see lately a lot of riders don't know how to yield around here, they either fly by off the trail, or seem to expect me as 'just a runner' to jump out of the way. Yielding to hikers/runners/ANYONE means stopping and stepping off the trail with your bike so they can pass...unless of course the hiker/runner has already done so.

At least the backpacker wrote a civilized note - not some rant.

Topic Name: CTR 2015 Race Discussion Reply #87 on: July 28, 2015, 06:57:27 AM
Majcolo

View Profile
« Reply #87 on: July 28, 2015, 06:57:27 AM »

We're going to need to nip this douchebag problem in the bud if we're to keep these races as they are. Stating the obvious I suppose, as I don't have any brilliant answers.

Entitled, victim-mentality dog owners notwithstanding...

I was backpacking Segments 5 - 8 last year during the race and never had anything other than pleasant interactions with the 15 or 20 riders that we saw.

Topic Name: CTR 2015 Race Discussion Reply #88 on: July 28, 2015, 07:15:03 AM
mtbcast

View Profile WWW
« Reply #88 on: July 28, 2015, 07:15:03 AM »

‪#‎ColoradoTrailRace15‬ - Matt Schiff called in from near Hwy 50!

http://mtbcast.com/site2/category/ctr15/

JP - MTBCast.com

Topic Name: CTR 2015 Race Discussion Reply #89 on: July 28, 2015, 07:18:05 AM
Woodland

View Profile WWW
« Reply #89 on: July 28, 2015, 07:18:05 AM »

All right! So now we know where the dark horse is. 2nd place! Nice...it's fun having a spotless rider up near the front, adds that extra level of mystery!

How does Jesse spend so little time in town! Man...

Topic Name: CTR 2015 Race Discussion Reply #90 on: July 28, 2015, 08:02:39 AM
schillingsworth

DFL>DNF>DNS

View Profile WWW
« Reply #90 on: July 28, 2015, 08:02:39 AM »

Anybody else noticing Roland Sturm going for the Mt. Elbert summit!! That's cool. Time bonus!!

http://schillingsworth.blogspot.com/
I ride the crappy trails so you don't have to.

Ultra Endurance Profile Posters & More...:
Posters, T-Shirts, etc

Topic Name: CTR 2015 Race Discussion Reply #91 on: July 28, 2015, 08:36:17 AM
Joliver

View Profile WWW
« Reply #91 on: July 28, 2015, 08:36:17 AM »

Yep, not suprise at all to see Schiff up there.  Keep it going boys!

Topic Name: CTR 2015 Race Discussion Reply #92 on: July 28, 2015, 09:10:16 AM
Anvil

View Profile
« Reply #92 on: July 28, 2015, 09:10:16 AM »

You guys are getting pretty far along tying the hangman's knot on the hiker/dog/biker drama for not having heard the biker's side of it.

Topic Name: CTR 2015 Race Discussion Reply #93 on: July 28, 2015, 09:31:23 AM
Roland Sturm

View Profile WWW
« Reply #93 on: July 28, 2015, 09:31:23 AM »

Anybody else noticing Roland Sturm going for the Mt. Elbert summit!! That's cool. Time bonus!!
Felt inspired by Justin, so I stopped at the trailhead last night (Pretty good site just past the turnoff on the right before the Co trail goes down) and hiked up this morning. Maybe I can time it well enough for another bonus detour. Time wise,  a 14er  is like adding another section, so it throws off the planning (well, unless you plan for it, but I haven't)

Topic Name: CTR 2015 Race Discussion Reply #94 on: July 28, 2015, 11:17:10 AM
mtnbound

View Profile
« Reply #94 on: July 28, 2015, 11:17:10 AM »

From my calculations, Jesse is about 3 hours ahead of his 2013 pace. Mind blowing and looking like another record pace if he holds it!  Wow!  I don't know how he is actually increasing his lead and accelerating from his 2013 pace. 

Looks like a good battle for 2nd place between Jefe and (flying under the radar) Matt and for the rest of the top 10.  And, being a back of the pack rider, I am interested in all of the racers in the middle and back of the pack - lots of good racing going on!

On the hiker email - I thought the facts in the email may have been exaggerated/overstated (such as following the biker for 1/2 mile while carrying an overnight backpack full of stuff and then talking to the rider, who must have stopped, so the rider couldn't have been traveling much faster than the hiker) - the story just didn't ring 100% true (w/o even getting into the 4 month old puppy issue).  Also, it is unknown whether it was a racer the hiker encountered or a day rider.  In any event, the hiker had a negative perception which must be addressed with some salve.

I felt the underlying/true issue the hiker was making was about the 70 riders.  While I have no idea what actually happened with the one rider the hiker complained about, the underlying problem is that someone may complain to get this race banned.  Therefore, the issue (regardless of where the truth lies) must be addressed to alleviate any perception about this event.  Of course, all racers must go the extra mile to avoid issues with hikers and be pleasant and courteous.  While I think 99% of racers are courteous with 99% of other trail users, it only takes one or two complaints to get the NFS taking a closer look.

Topic Name: CTR 2015 Race Discussion Reply #95 on: July 28, 2015, 11:38:05 AM
GrizzlyAdam

View Profile WWW
« Reply #95 on: July 28, 2015, 11:38:05 AM »

I love stalking the blue dots! I wish I was out there this year. Sending good vibes, clear skies, and low gears to all those racing!

Topic Name: CTR 2015 Race Discussion Reply #96 on: July 28, 2015, 12:02:40 PM
jryter

View Profile WWW
« Reply #96 on: July 28, 2015, 12:02:40 PM »

Looks like EriK Lobeck may be out??

Yes. Be excellent out there to each other. Stop or slow down if they stop. Some are already on edge if they are out of their element hiking for the first time and then a cyclist can scare some people easily. Hope it works out OK.

Topic Name: CTR 2015 Race Discussion Reply #97 on: July 28, 2015, 12:10:02 PM
TooSlow

View Profile
« Reply #97 on: July 28, 2015, 12:10:02 PM »

Roland Sturm just earned his gnarcore merit badge, taking the morning off to bag Elbert.  thumbsup

Topic Name: CTR 2015 Race Discussion Reply #98 on: July 28, 2015, 12:31:22 PM
bmattingly

View Profile
« Reply #98 on: July 28, 2015, 12:31:22 PM »

Wow, the Colorado Guys are throwing down hard as usual.  Koodos to all the other out of state riders too.  I'm guessing weather may be pretty good this year?   Our monsoon here in N. AZ has been dry this week.

I would like to do a future CTR ride but I greatly fear lightning up high in the Mtns. this time of year.

I have ridden segments of the Colorado trail 4x.  Once was with others from Durango.  The other 3x I saw minimal people.  Almost no bikes, no horses, and minimal hikers.  My great concern on my solo rides is getting hurt and not running into anyone for hours or days.

It may be easy for some people to feel offended if their outdoor adventure was different than they imagined.  

Dogs can be involved or create a variety of problems in the backcountry.  Some horses are skidish of bikes.  Maybe this dog was too?  I'm sure the owner was concerned for its welfare.  Glad to hear the dog was ok.  I hope to hear the cyclists take too.  I think we are all motivated to ensure good relations with others on the trail

Topic Name: CTR 2015 Race Discussion Reply #99 on: July 28, 2015, 12:34:47 PM
GrizzlyAdam

View Profile WWW
« Reply #99 on: July 28, 2015, 12:34:47 PM »

Did we lose Jesse's and Jefe's SPOTs? Or did they just decide to sleep at the same time?

EDIT - Looks like they are back online and moving again.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2015, 12:46:10 PM by GrizzlyAdam » Logged

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 15
Reply New Topic New Poll
Jump to: